daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #61
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Yes, most borders with a checkpoint has a separate freight lane, where in busy times the trucks queue on the hard shoulder. Look at the St Louis and Weil Am Rhein motorway borders with Basel. And it was always like that before countries like Poland and Czech Republic joined Schengen. I assume this applies to the Finnish-Russian border as well. From what I read above and what I hear from my girlfriend, the average waiting time for tourists seems minimal. Stamp from the Finnish, stamp from the Russians and Finnished.

She always uses that door-to-door taxi service.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #62
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You don't get the problem. A 10 km border queue is significantly different from regular congestion on a motorway. The waiting time could be 5 - 8 hours, especially for goods. Just like an 11 kilometer queue before the Gotthard Tunnel doesn't sound too impressive until you see the delay of 2.5 hours.
5-8 hours would be nice time in some cases. Like I said, we got great queues in Latvia (Latvia/Russia border point). They aren't predictable - sometimes they are quite short but mostly not. As far as I remember, record was ~27 km or something!!! Imagine how long does it take - at least some days (and if you got fresh cherries in your truck then you are in great trouble). Sometimes exceptions are made (for food mostly) so if you carry wooden planks then wait, wait and wait.
These queues don't seem normal to me. Border point capacity could be much greater but I have heard rumours that Russian border guards don't want to be fast. Latvia and Russia aren't good friends - probably that explains everything...
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #63
Teo-On-Tour

Likes (Received): 2

Sorry for this o.t. again
I haven't got any intention to offend Poles before. Just some last notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja.centy View Post
Teo-On-Tour's statement on smuggling statistics (99% of smugglers' cars allegedly have Polish reg. plates) seems to have been based on the assumption that each Polish car coming back from Kaliningrad must be involved in smuggling.
And the reason is the 99% Polish (excuse me for lowercase letters before, just bad chat habit) are proceeding to the "red" lane (to declare smth.) Probaly it is hardly defining as "smuggling" when Poles cross border from Kaliningrad for 4-5 times per day with full tank of fuel and this activity is main their earning. I don't see any bad on this though.

Mr. ufonut, all your horrors about Kaliningrad are quite fun however i should inform you it is complete bullshit. I live in Kaliningrad and I haven't got any intention to idealise local reality but all your observation are certainly pulled out from 10-15-years past.
"Drugs, alcohol, human smuggling, radioactive material" - is it serious? How much radioactives and smuggled slaves fm Kaliningrad Polish borderguards catch per day? Have you got any stats on customs violations with "drugs, alcohol, human smuggling, radioactive material" made by Kaliningrad people in Poland?
And if you try so hard to seem as enlighten European as beeing on the next step of civilisation above e.g. Kaliningrad people please note somehow that "cesspool" sounds too insulting for this

Last edited by Teo-On-Tour; August 19th, 2011 at 08:30 PM.
Teo-On-Tour no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #64
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

How about a motorway from Moscow to St Petersburg first, the current road is terrible.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #65
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRob View Post
How about a motorway from Moscow to St Petersburg first, the current road is terrible.
Construction of completely new toll road should be completed by 2013 according to plan, but taking into account permanent protests of ecologist (Khimky forest, etc) it may take longer.
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #66
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19381

It's extremely unlikely they can complete that motorway by 2013. The construction time of a motorway is usually 2 - 2.5 years. We're now quite far into the second half of 2011, and with the long Russian winters, the amount of workable months is quite low, which means construction would likely take at least 3 - 3.5 years.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #67
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The construction time of a motorway is usually 2 - 2.5 years.
I don't see the point. I don't think there is any average construction speed without taking into account distance and resources spent. Almost 700 km with the projecting speed of 150km/h, 85 bridges, 32 interchanges should be built. But I also don't believe in 2013
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #68
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19381

The length of a project does not matter at all if you allocate resources efficiently. For instance, motorway construction in Poland takes 2 - 2.5 years, whether it's a 10 km S7 project or 105 kilometer A2 project.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #69
ilyan

Likes (Received): 863

May be better road from Berlin to Moscow would be through Latvia( from Warsaw to Bialystok, Kaunas, Daugavpils, Rezekne) Poland rebuilt some parts of S8 to motorway standart(near Bialystok, Zambrow bypass). Lithuania may be begin to rebuilt to motorway standart stratch between Kaunas and Polish border next year.
Many trucks since 2002 year go through Terehova to Russia don't pay custom clearance in Latvian/Russian border. They go around Belarus because Belarusian custome service confiscate some goods and even trucks in 2000-2003 year.
ilyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote