daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #441
Cotiso

Likes (Received): 2578

http://my.imageshack.us

By Claudiu2 at 2011-09-04

By claudiu2 at 2011-09-04
Cotiso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #442
Cotiso

Old September 6th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #443
Cotiso

Old September 8th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #444
Fallen

Likes (Received): 1332

Very nice pictures Cotiso! The tourist bus is definitely a must in Bucharest!
Fallen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #445
garcia.calavera

Likes (Received): 779

nice pics , i think i will try this bus next time i will be there , it's a very different perspective from the car
garcia.calavera no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 03:39 AM   #446
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Bucharest has a nice flavour to it. It's like a slice of Latin America in the heart of Europe.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 03:54 AM   #447
charliewong90

Likes (Received): 281

a nice city and has a clean environment too.
charliewong90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #448
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5614

Wow...so many beautiful Beaux Arts buildings! Thanks very much for the pictures!
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #449
Prahova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

i lived one year in this city.it is very nice
Prahova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #450
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

They sure like their Golfs in Bucharest.

Really interesting shots. Although I wish they'd reduce car traffic in the city. The picture above is a fine example. The grand buildings in the back almost look lost amid the sea of traffic. Plant some trees, add some sidewalks and reduce the # of lanes.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #451
garcia.calavera

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
add some sidewalks and reduce the # of lanes.
reduce lanes to create sidewalks?? blasphemy , the car is the most important thing in eastern europe and should have all the conditions to run free , pedestrians are just losers who don't have cars
garcia.calavera no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #452
skymantle

Likes (Received): 3165

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcia.calavera View Post
the city was once called little Paris because of it's many buildings designed by French architects , a tribute to Romania's strong diplomatic relations with France in the interbelic period that's why it resembles the west (from some angles at least ), to bad Ceausescu razed to the ground a very large percentage of those buildings to build ugly commie towers. In Transylvania the style is more Austrian from the region's occupation by the Austrian and Austro-hungarian empires.
ps: the big palace it's now used as the House of Parliament and other political offices.
I think it has less to do with diplomatic relations and more to do with the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris and the fashion of the day.

What I would like to know is what were the industries that made Bucharest prosperous, or more specifically with what wealth did individuals (or groups) possess to commision such grand buildings?

Anyway, great thread, it got better and better, and from around page 10 it began to look like the more affluent parts of the city.

Last edited by skymantle; September 11th, 2011 at 03:44 PM.
skymantle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #453
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

Thanks for the nice updates....
Old September 11th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #454
Fahrenheit 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm
Really interesting shots. Although I wish they'd reduce car traffic in the city. The picture above is a fine example. The grand buildings in the back almost look lost amid the sea of traffic. Plant some trees, add some sidewalks and reduce the # of lanes.
There is a project regarding this issue.Here is an article(in romanian).They say that the project allready had begun by widening the sidewalks on Victory Way.(last shots)

Last edited by Fahrenheit 10; September 11th, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
Fahrenheit 10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #455
adeiush

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymantle View Post
I think it has less to do with diplomatic relations and more to do with the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris and the fashion of the day.

What I would like to know is what were the industries that made Bucharest prosperous, or more specifically with what wealth did individuals (or groups) possess to commision such grand buildings?

Anyway, great thread, it got better and better, and from around page 10 it began to look like the more affluent parts of the city.
Up until WW2 Romania was one of the biggest oil producers in the world (7th in the world), it was also Europe's second-largest food producer.

The only thing I know about the industries (of Bucharest) is that Ford had a car plant there...

A nice video of Bucharest made before WW2

in this video you can also see lots of images of Bucharest during that time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05N-AM0cZ-o
adeiush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #456
skymantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeiush View Post
Up until WW2 Romania was one of the biggest oil producers in the world (7th in the world), it was also Europe's second-largest food producer.

The only thing I know about the industries (of Bucharest) is that Ford had a car plant there...

A nice video of Bucharest made before WW2

in this video you can also see lots of images of Bucharest during that time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05N-AM0cZ-o
I see, thanks for info. Industries were oil. primary and secondary manufacturing. I wonder if there were any big names of industry, the wealthy 'captains of industry', like you would have had in the west, such as Tate, Rothschild, Vanderbilt and the like, and if they were usually Romanians or foreigners as well? Nice videos too.
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #457
adeiush

Likes (Received): 60

Nicolae Malaxa and Max Auschnitt were the biggest romanian industrialists of that time and arch rivals.

Evanghelie Zappa (greek-romanian) - in the 1850s, Zappas was considered one of the wealthiest entrepreneurs in Eastern Europe, he's also the founder of the Olympic Games. Ion Gigurtu, the CEO of the Mica Group (Mining Company- gold and other metals). Other very wealthy owners of capital invested in various industrial activities were: Constantin Argetoianu, member of the board of directors and manager of many corporations, Ion/Ioan Bujoiu, the CEO of the Petroşani Industries, the Chrissoveloni family - banking, Aristide Blank (the ower of the largest romanian bank at that time - Marmorosch Blank), Dumitru Mociorniţă (he owned the largest clothing company), Ernest Baliff, Oscar Kaufman, Ernest Urdăreanu and ... King Carol II (who was said to be the most important owner of capital in the interwar Romania).

There were also old boyer (noble) families like: Cantacuzino family, Caragea family; Rosetti family, Ghica family, Sturdza family; Văcărescu family etc. who were very rich.
adeiush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #458
RonnieR

Likes (Received): 2769

Nice photos.
Old September 12th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #459
skymantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeiush View Post

Nicolae Malaxa and Max Auschnitt were the biggest romanian industrialists of that time and arch rivals.

Evanghelie Zappa (greek-romanian) - in the 1850s, Zappas was considered one of the wealthiest entrepreneurs in Eastern Europe, he's also the founder of the Olympic Games. Ion Gigurtu, the CEO of the Mica Group (Mining Company- gold and other metals). Other very wealthy owners of capital invested in various industrial activities were: Constantin Argetoianu, member of the board of directors and manager of many corporations, Ion/Ioan Bujoiu, the CEO of the Petroşani Industries, the Chrissoveloni family - banking, Aristide Blank (the ower of the largest romanian bank at that time - Marmorosch Blank), Dumitru Mociorniţă (he owned the largest clothing company), Ernest Baliff, Oscar Kaufman, Ernest Urdăreanu and ... King Carol II (who was said to be the most important owner of capital in the interwar Romania).

There were also old boyer (noble) families like: Cantacuzino family, Caragea family; Rosetti family, Ghica family, Sturdza family; Văcărescu family etc. who were very rich.
Thanks a lot for info. Very interesting indeed. I know there were prominent Greek-merchant communities in Jassy and Galati. Zappas indeed was a big name and you can find Zappas philanthropy all over the region, including the beautiful neoclassical Zappeion Exhibition Building in Athens and the Zappeion Girls School in Istanbul. Can you pin-point the buildings that any of these industrialists commissioned in Bucharest, in particular Zappas and Malaxa? Don't feel obliged, just interested to know. Thanks again.
Old September 12th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #460
Cotiso