daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Guilbert53

Likes (Received): 182

Parkgate/Asda scheme | Shirley | U/C

I will create this topic in this forum for now, it can be moved to the "Under Construction" forum once sign of development starts.

Development is due to start in early 2012, though some buildings have already been vacated in preparation for the scheme.

The Parkgate project is a mixed use development near the Stratford Road in Shirley, Solihull.

It consists of an Asda supermarket, a number of retail outlets (25 or so), plus a number of flats and houses.

Here is the web site for the Parkgate project

http://www.parkgateshirley.com/

There is a map of the Parkgate scheme below.

This map shows the inverted "V" area between Haslucks Green road and Stratford Road.

As you can see, the large pink "box" is Asdas. More retail outlets are shown on the right of Asdas (two blocks of about 25 outlets in total)

This will involve knocking down some of the existing shops on Shirley High St, and the removal of vehicle access from the Hight St to the
current car park.

There will be underground parking under the whole scheme, the entrace to the car park being the "mauve" area in the top left
(off Hasluck Green Road)

The light blue "boxes" and dark blue "boxes" are flats/houses. As you can see, some are North of Asdas, off the Haslucks Green Road,
others are South of Asdas, fronting Shirley Park.

You can find more details on the web site above.

Guilbert53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 15th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Guilbert53

Here is a map of the existing area (from Google Maps).

The area to be developed is an upsite down "V", with Haslucks Green Road running down the left, and Stratford Road (Shirley High St) running down the right.

The picture below shows the "old Powergen Site", the "old T.A. Site" and "Shirley Park"

Asdas originally bought the old Powergen site and wanted to build their store there.

Then the Territorial Army (T.A.) moved out of their site on the other side of the road so it was decided to build the new Asda/Parkgate development on the
old TA site, AND on the car park area nearby, AND on part of Shirley Park.

The Parkgate scheme does NOT currently include the old Powergen site.

DBadger liked this post

Last edited by Guilbert53; August 15th, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Guilbert53

A number of retail outlets and organizations were given notice to quit their premises in preparation for the Parkgate scheme.

The hall BEHIND Shirley Baptist church will be knocked down as part of this scheme, and people who used this hall for various clubs
and societies have all had to move out.

Note the hall will be rebuilt with rear access directly onto the Parkgate complex.

Also, one of the retail outlets told to move were "Floors-2-Go" who have now closed down.

Old August 15th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Assa

Likes (Received): 1

Funny thing about the Baptitst Church buildings is that the clubs using it were told to find new premesis a few weeks before the planning permission for Parkgate was given. I think the Baptitst Church development is slightly seperate in that it was going ahead whether Parkgate did or not. Either that or they knew something ahead of time.
Assa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #5
joshwebb

Likes (Received): 21

I wonder what the people of shirley think about this now?
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #6
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 35

Floors to go, gone, and good riddance! They messed me about so much felt at one stage like I may aswell move into that store the amount of time was in there complaining and chasing them up. Hopefully now I can get some closure, and the nightmares will stop.
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Guilbert53

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwebb View Post
I wonder what the people of Shirley think about this now?
Mixed feelings I think.

Sure, a number are in favour of it the way it is (as letters in the local paper prove).

But while nobody would deny Shirley needed some improvements and a tidy up, others think this scheme is not the answer.

I dont like the fact that Asda have "sat on" the old Powergen site for over 15 years, allowing that site (and indirectly the old
T.A. site) to become run down and derilict.

Asdas attitude seemed to be, if we cant build on it then nobody else will.

This gradually made Shirley look such a mess that people began to say "anything is better than nothing", making the Parkgate
scheme seem like some manna from heaven.

I also dont like the fact that part of Shirley Park is being sold/given to the developers to build flats on.

As far as I am concerned the council down "own" the park, they are custodians of it for future generation, so it is not theirs
to sell. The same as the Queen cant sell the Crown Jewels or Buckingham Palace.

I feel this scheme could have been built without taking ANY of Shirley Park.

I also dont think we need another supermarket in the area.

I live in the centre of Shirley, and recently calculated I have 13 supermarkets within 3.5 miles of my house, including those in and
around Shirley, in Solihull, in Acocks Green, and at the Maypole.

My final objection it that it is all retail based, and apart from temporary jobs during the building phase, it brings no other "jobs" into
Shirley. This country cant continue to build more and more shops/supermarkets. There is only so much money to go round, and if
people dont earn money in "real" creative jobs they will have nothing to spend in the shops.

But to be honest any opposition I have (or anybody else has) is now irrelevant and it has been given planning permission so will
go ahead.

I have various family reasons for continuing to live in Shirley, but if it was at all possible I would move away from the area, particulalry
during the 18 months or so (my guess) this project will take to build.

Last edited by Guilbert53; August 15th, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old August 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #8
BhamJim

I live very near to the Parkgate development in Shirley, and I am for it.

My only gripe with it is I would have prefered the scheme to incorporate more leisure facilities, resturants, bars etc.... I think Shirley could accomodate a multiplex cinema and/or bowling complex too.

If the Parkgate scheme transforms the high street then maybe such venues will arrive elsewhere in Shirley in the future.

I'm looking forward to seeing not only the shopping facility and improved car parking built, but also the improvements to Shirley Park.
Old August 15th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #9
joshwebb

I think the powergen building should stay as its the tallest building in the area n would of been nice to see a miniature skyline with other buildings of similar height near by like the old ta site
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #10
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 243

I have always wondered what they are going to do with the old Powergen site.

Shirley has those three retail parks with a big Sainsbury's.

Are they expecting this to be like Shirley's Touchwood?

(Can I post my relevant Shirley pics here Guilbert?)
ellbrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #11
BhamJim

I think they should flatten the Powergen building and utilise this land for the leisure facilities I mentioned previously, a mini skyline akin to this building would be dreadful. they should be lowering the skyline here not raising it.

There are already a lot of private gyms in Shirley: Virgin, Village, David Lloyd 1 and 2, Corus, Viva (monkspath) etc... but I do think a council facility in the centre would be well utilised here too.

The population of Shirley and it's surrounding area is underestimated I think, and facilities along the high street and at the powergen site will be well used.
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #12
Guilbert53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellbrown View Post
(Can I post my relevant Shirley pics here Guilbert?)
Yes of course Ell, no problem with anyone posting Parkgate/Asda/Powergen pictures in this topc.
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #13
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilbert53 View Post
Yes of course Ell, no problem with anyone posting Parkgate/Asda/Powergen pictures in this topc.
Thanks Guilbert

Shirley Temple Restaurant when Adams was still there (closed by then as it was To Let)

image hosted on flickr

Shirley Temple Restaurant, Stratford Road, Shirley by ell brown, on Flickr

Woolworths (former)

image hosted on flickr

Former Woolworths in Shirley by ell brown, on Flickr

Powergen from Haslucks Green Road

image hosted on flickr

Former Powergen site in Shirley by ell brown, on Flickr
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #14
joshwebb

There's a well good view towards the city centre if you go back round of the old woolworths up the stairs go on the roof n then climb up the ladder onto the very top but most of it is blocked from view by the powergen building
Old August 17th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #15
Assa

Likes (Received): 1

There was a residential development put forward for the Powergen site once but IIRC the cost of clearing the site was prohibitive given it's 'industrial' past. The exhisting building would work well as a hotel / conference centre but again I suspect the cost of converting ofiices into hotel-living standard would be too high. It's prime land so clearly there's something stopping it from being developed.
Assa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #16
blueboy

Likes (Received): 0

I live about 1m from this in hall green, and theris already a tesco 24hr, tesco express, sainsburys, morrisons, aldi all within a 2 mile radius and now soon to be asda. My question is...how many f-ing supermarkets do we need!? ridiculous imo.
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #17
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

I live in Hall Green too. Waitrose is in walking distance. Our main Tesco is the one on the Hall Green / Shirley border. Although we sometimes use the big Sainsbury's and Morrisons in Shirley as well.

Went to the Tesco in Monkspath recently (first time in ages) and it is so so big! Has an upstairs section now with airport style travellator to take you upstairs.

Is also a Co-operative Food near Hall Green Parade (opposite it).

And a M & S: Simply Food in Shirley.

Yes it is too much.
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #18
BhamJim

I live just in Shirley (nr the Colebrook) and my missus has to travel to Lidl in Acocks Green to get half of our shopping, then back to Shirley to do the other half at Aldi.

Don't ask??!

But anyway, it's a disgrace, Shirley needs a Lidl!
Old August 19th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #19
blueboy

Likes (Received): 0

i forgot about waitrose! honestly i really thing its taking the piss to have all these supermarkets in one area, why not build something useful in shirley.
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #20
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

There's also a new Co-operative Food in Gospel Oak.

And various small local independant supermarkets.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: