daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #21
joshwebb

Likes (Received): 20

They have an iceland aswell
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 19th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #22
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 207

I remember when Morrisons was a Safeway (and when HSBC was a Midland Bank). Always used to go there as a kid (Safeway not Midland Bank).

Now has windows and door that you can't see out.
ellbrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #23
joshwebb

Yeah but years ago safeway was a cinema
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #24
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Was it? That was before my time.

In that building?
Old August 20th, 2011, 02:29 AM   #25
joshwebb

I'm not to sure if it was in the same building but its was defo in the same place
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #26
Pebble.Mill

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwebb View Post
I'm not to sure if it was in the same building but its was defo in the same place
Art Deco Building, Remember seeing ET in it...
Pebble.Mill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #27
Guilbert53

Likes (Received): 173

Here is a picture of the cinema in Shirley

Outside

http://viewfinder.english-heritage.o...=all&form=home

Inside

http://viewfinder.english-heritage.o...ct=&placeName=
Guilbert53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:40 AM   #28
Assa

Likes (Received): 1

It's been raised, either here or in another thread... could Shirley support a cinema again? The UCI where the BMW dealer is on the A34 closed about 7 years ago IIRC (2004 or 2005) and was never busy when I went there. Why did it fail? Location? Size? Price? Quality of service?

If I want to go to the cinema I have the choice of Cineworld in Solihull (with the added cost of parking) or venturing into the city centre or to Star City. I want to go to see HP on Wednesday but with the Cineworld being a bit small there isn't a convenient showing. So now I'm going to have to head over to Star City. Would another 'small' multiplex in Shirley which compliments rather than competes with Solihull be a success? Perhaps more of an arthouse cinema with showings of mainstream films when they complete their initial run at Solihull?
Assa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM   #29
joshwebb

Yeah maybe a little one with 2 or 3 screens at the old woolworths unless something else is going to be there? I wouldn't know as I havnt been in shirley since april
Old August 23rd, 2011, 08:24 PM   #30
Guilbert53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assa View Post
It's been raised, either here or in another thread... could Shirley support a cinema again? The UCI where the BMW dealer is on the A34 closed about 7 years ago IIRC (2004 or 2005) and was never busy when I went there. Why did it fail? Location? Size? Price? Quality of service?
I dont think it "failed" as such, but they probably found once Touchwood cinema opened their takings fell.

Then maybe they got a good offer from BMW for the site (or the cinema manager woke up with a horses head in his bed).
Old August 23rd, 2011, 08:42 PM   #31
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

By the end of the UCI, the seating was around 15 plus years old. I still miss the place.

The box office at the front, the food area behind the box office. The long corridor to the 8 screens. The old style lettering on the front for the films.

First film I saw there in 1988 was Oliver and Company. Last one in 2004 was National Treasure. At one point the ushers showed you to your seat (had a number on it). Later you could sit any where.

These days I got to the AMC in Five Ways.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:43 PM   #32
loudrocksurfer

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellbrown View Post
By the end of the UCI, the seating was around 15 plus years old. I still miss the place.

The box office at the front, the food area behind the box office. The long corridor to the 8 screens. The old style lettering on the front for the films.

First film I saw there in 1988 was Oliver and Company. Last one in 2004 was National Treasure. At one point the ushers showed you to your seat (had a number on it). Later you could sit any where.

These days I got to the AMC in Five Ways.

http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/cinema_information/s35/

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4181391961

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/25920
loudrocksurfer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:13 PM   #33
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Always annoying going past and seeing that BMW showroom in it's place. It's not the same!

That Street Map on Cinema Treasures is wrong, it is not near Sainsbury's! It's in Monkspath.

Last edited by ellbrown; August 23rd, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #34
Assa

I saw a few films there in 2003/2004 when I first moved to this area and worked on the TRW site. The cinema was close enough that I could sneak off for a 'long lunch' and see a film. By that time the seats and general decor were appalling and the tickets were more expensive than Touchwood IIRC. I had a screen to myself on more than one occassion.

Anyway, sorry, this is going way off topic!

What types of shops do we expect or would like to see in Parkgate?

I'll bet money on a few mobile phone shops appearing - Vodafone, O2 and maybe a couple of others. I reckon Subway might move or open up a second shop. A jewellery shop or two? Burtons/DP? Perhaps a large clothes retailer like Matalan/Primark if any of the units are large enough?
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #35
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 35

My missus would be over the moon if Primark moved in. Another Greggs perhaps (or alternative) is likely IMO.

Not sure the size of the units in Parkgate, Dunelm Mill, Sports Direct, Wilko's, the Works would be nice to have in Shirley, bring people in and do well: ideally outside Parkgate though IMO along the high street (old Woolies shop for example). Also the still missed Solihull Indoor Market could be re-started in Shirley, maybe with indoor and outdoor pitches?
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #36
Assa

Was chatting with the barber just along from The Saracens Head today. he's quite happy with the development - thinks it will bring in a lot of new customers for him. He also mnetioned that the rents & rates along the High Street are being pushed up. Might be an early attempt to get businesses to sign up for the new units which I wouldn't be surprised to find had reduced rates or other incentives to attract tennants.
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #37
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 35

It would be nice if following the Parkgate development, changes could be made on the opposite side of the road.

The units that house, M&S, Halifax, Shapla Tandoori, Co-op travel etc... and the Red Lion boozer are quite unsightly IMO. There is an opportunity to demolish this, and create a bigger more pleasant square, maybe creating a specific food and drink court, with a new pub, resturants and other outlets. Also taking up the current larger car parking area which would be unnecassary.
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #38
Guilbert53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamJim View Post
It would be nice if following the Parkgate development, changes could be made on the opposite side of the road.
I have always thought that when Asda/Parkgate development is built and occupied the East side of the Stratford Road will gradually die.

It would not surprise me if in 10 or so years time the East side of the Stratford Road in that area is mostly flats.
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #39
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

The likes of the Red Lion pub looks a bit dated when you pass it on the bus.

All that exposed concrete (or whatever it is) does not look good.
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #40
joshwebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assa View Post
Was chatting with the barber just along from The Saracens Head today. he's quite happy with the development - thinks it will bring in a lot of new customers for him. He also mnetioned that the rents & rates along the High Street are being pushed up. Might be an early attempt to get businesses to sign up for the new units which I wouldn't be surprised to find had reduced rates or other incentives to attract tennants.
The woman in there scares me, she's used to ask me to go swimming, gym n in a hot tub with her when I was younger :L I was like nahh lool n she's goes sick at kids who try stroke her cat n she carnt cut a fringe properly :/

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: