daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 31st, 2012, 12:44 PM   #101
samk706

Likes (Received): 60

Ladies and gents... Demolition of Westminster house has begun

Last edited by samk706; August 17th, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
samk706 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #102
BhamJim

Likes (Received): 35

I had a walkabout last night and the hole being dug for the car park is absolutely immense - I'm assuming this must be nearly done now?

Slightly off topic, I would suggest that following the opening of the new car park, the small service type road infront of Iceland could be removed and the lovely hedge-lined footpath and cycle-lane that currently runs infront of Natwest could be extended right upto Morrisons and the police station/new retirement homes. With a long term view to extendeding it the other way down to the red Lion.

I do think this 'boulevard' on the Solihull side of the Startford Road is the jewel in Shirley's crown. Last night people were sitting outside the new 'crust' resturant and it had a very continental feel to it. This should then be extended, encouraged and promoted to other eateries. It is a perfect setting opposite parkgate.
BhamJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #103
Guilbert53

Likes (Received): 182

Been very busy lately so not had time to post pictures here.

Still updating my Facebook Page though

http://www.facebook.com/ShirleyParkgateDiary

BhamJim, where did you stand to see the big hole in the ground?

Now they have put the fence up behind Blockbuster it is hard to see that area, I have even considered taking up step ladders.
Guilbert53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #104
BhamJim

I walked through the footpath from Haslucks Green Road (where the house has been demolished for the service road to Asda), then along the new temporary footpath into the park.
Old August 16th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #105
samk706

From this morning

They are putting shuttering around the big hole and it looks like another hole is being dug on the other aide of the site
Old September 30th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #106
samk706

From today, some roadworks on the high street which I can assume are for park gate in some way? And on the main part of the site under the barrels are what look like manholes which would lead me to think this is the final level for the car park?

Btw should this be in the construction thread now?
Old September 30th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #107
joshwebb

Likes (Received): 21

I think it should n this is going very slow isnt it.
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:14 AM   #108
samk706

It does appear to be, but access to the legion is currently where the car park is going to be, so I imagine they are rerouting that before they can finish digging out the car park, hopefully it picks up the pace soon though...
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:06 AM   #109
Guilbert53

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwebb View Post
I think it should n this is going very slow isnt it.
My Facebook page about the project

http://www.facebook.com/ShirleyParkgateDiary?ref=hl

Because I have been taking lots of pictures up there I have got to know many of the workmen quite well.

As far as I know this is due to finish around Easter 2014. They have decided to build the flats last and concentrate on the shopping area,
however none of the site will open until everything has been built (including the flats).

The workmen told me they have been taking 200 lorries full of soil a DAY off site (to build the underground car park), so I am not sure
how anyone can say it is going slow.

The road that CURRENTLY goes up to the British Legion building (next to Nandos) is going to be pedestrianised when the project finishes,
so to provide road access to the British Legion and Scout headquarters (and to the flats they plan to build next to Shirley Park) they are
having to create a new road.

This road will run next to the Saracens Head pub (see the 5th picture from the set above).

I assume the road works along the Stratford Road are to connect up maybe the sewers or other services that will be required for the new
flats before they surface the new road.

Once this NEW road is open, and cars can drive to the British Legion and Scouts headquarters along this new road, then they will remove the
existing road next to Nandos to allow them to dig the underground car park in that area.

Here are the plans for the underground car park. As you can see, it goes right underneath what was Westminster house, and underneath the
other shops that they knocked down the other side of the road (next to bookmaker Wilf Gilbert).

Last edited by Guilbert53; October 1st, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old October 1st, 2012, 01:25 PM   #110
BhamJim

I dont think is going particularly slowly, people need to be patient. The demolition and groundworks, utilities etc... were always going to take a while, as they do with any project like this. Once these initial works are complete and ground level construction starts I expect things will move very quickly.

O cannot believe they will not be opening any of the site until it is totally complete (including flats). Surely they should/would want to open the shopping centre ASAP following completion of this phase?
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:45 PM   #111
samk706

Thanks for the info Gilbert, it seems more is happening than it may seem...

And I agree, I think it is strange that they will not open it until everything is complete.

Sam
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #112
samk706

From today...

Trees have been cut down and there is work under way outside the powergen building

Bungalows heading for demolition?

Old October 8th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #113
sefton66

Likes (Received): 539

thanks for the update Sam

Woody could this thread be renames Parkgate Solihull | U/C and moved?
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #114
Guilbert53

Quote:
Originally Posted by samk706 View Post
Trees have been cut down and there is work under way outside the Powergen building
This is in preparation for the new roundabout / junction to be built where the Stratford Road meets the Haslucks Green Road.

I gather because the telephone exchange is just along the Haslucks Green Road there are lots of telephone cables under the road, pavement and grass in front of the Powergen building.

I heard there is even a British Telecom "room" below ground in front of Powergen where the various telephone cables are connected and routed. This means there is a lot of work to be done undergound, rerouting cables, before the road junction can be built.

Here is a map of the planned junction

Old October 10th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #115
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 626

I don't understand why they are replacing the junction with a roundabout, surely it would have been easier just to upgrade the road/traffic signals.. plus, that roundabout looks like the one in Hall Green and the one in Mere Green which tend to be traffic hotspots.

ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #116
Guilbert53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
I don't understand why they are replacing the junction with a roundabout.
Well the only entrance to the Parkgate underground car park will be along Haslucks Green Road (opposite those 5 bungalows which are to be knocked down soon).

The "old" vehicle entrance to the Shirley shoppers car park, roughly next to Nandos and the old Westminster House, will become a pedestrian entrance.

So cars coming UP the Stratford Road who want to visit Parkgate will have to go through the Stratford Road / Haslucks Green road junction to get to the Parkgate car park entrance.

So this means there will be increased traffic at that junction as all car drivers coming from the South, East or North, wanting to visit Asda or the Parkgate complex, will have to go through this junction.

I have no idea if a roundabout is any more efficient than sets of traffic lights, but I assume the people who design these things think it is.

p.s. Other work will also take place at this junction.

For example Jacey Road, which enters the Stratford Road in the bottom left of the picture above, is a terrible road to pull out of, particulalry if you wish to turn right onto the Stratford Road.

But traffic lights will be added to this junction to make it easier for traffic getting out of Jacey Road.
Old October 10th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #117
BhamJim

Is any of the Powergen building to be demolished during the new roundabout development.

Whilst i'd love to see the whole lot levelled, surely the smaller boxy building nearest the road has to go pretty soon? It's looks awful in it's current state!
Old October 10th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #118
Anup24

Likes (Received): 0

Just hope they don't balls up this junction like they have at Office World with narrow lanes.
Anup24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #119
Guilbert53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamJim View Post
Is any of the Powergen building to be demolished during the new roundabout development.
Not as far as I know.

I think this site is still owned by Asda so I guess at some point it will be sold off and probably used for housing.

Maybe Asda think the site will be worth more when the Parkgate scheme is finished and the area looks a bit better, also if the housing market picks up
the land may be worth more.

I cant see any builder being able to build (and sell) all the hoses that would fill this site.

I have said before this Powergen site is potentially a huge site.

I am not sure how much Asda actually own, but here is a view from Google Maps where I have drawn round in red the extent of the site. There is a lot
more than that which is visible from the road.

As you can see in the bottom left it is a huge area of woodland and trees that looks like it is a nature reserve (I am not sure if there is any way into it).

You can get to it by walking down the unnamed road that runs alongside the bungalows. I have marked the route up the unnamed road in yellow
on the picture below. As far as I know it is a public right of way but it MAY be on private land. There is a car park round the back for people who
work in the buildings alongside Haslucks Green Road (you can see the cars to the right of the yellow arrow).

Mind you it is a bit creepy round there, an ideal place for courting couples in their cars, or those up to no good.

But this picture gives you an idea how huge the potential site is.

Last edited by Guilbert53; October 10th, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old November 18th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #120
samk706

From today, the road by the Saracens head is nearly complete by the looks of things, piling has resumed along the side by the high street and the bungalows on has licks green road have been demolished

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: