daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Queensland

Queensland Brisbane

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #1
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 986

#UC: 480 Queen Street - 34st/153m/office

Suncorp are consolidating all of their CBD space. Grocons site at 480 Queen is one of the short listed developments.
"Traditionally what has hurt people has not been rising interest rates but rising unemployment. I don't care what rate you're paying, if you have a mortgage five times your income and you lose your job, you're toast."

Gerard Minack, chief economist at Morgan Stanley.
KJBrissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 8th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #2
brizguy

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
Suncorp are consolidating all of their CBD space. Grocons site at 480 Queen is one of the short listed developments.
This would mean a big tower wouldn't it?
brizguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #3
KJBrissy

They are after very big floorplates, but yes, it could be. I think they are after 55,000sqm.
"Traditionally what has hurt people has not been rising interest rates but rising unemployment. I don't care what rate you're paying, if you have a mortgage five times your income and you lose your job, you're toast."

Old August 8th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #4
Marty_

Likes (Received): 158

I think the Southpoint site at Southbank is the most likely site. It fits their brief better than almost all the others (especially the CBD sites) and it's in a far better location than their first preference at the RNA grounds.

Trilogy is possible, but I sincerely hope not. That site needs a signature tower or nothing.
Marty_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #5
KJBrissy

I know we are getting a little off topic, however I thought 480 Queen Street could get a massive amount of office space in a podium. If they topped it off with a hotel and some apartments, it could still be quite a large tower.

Old August 9th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #6
Marty_

Grocon won't put anything on top. It will be a purpose-built office and no more (ATO style).

Suncorp wanted a site that was as close as possible to a "campus style" development. They rejected innumerable offers from CBD tower developments. They want a 3,000m2 floor plate. They are preferencing sites just outside the CBD. The fact that Grocon still have not bought the site, nor have they submitted any DA is a big problem too. Same deal as with Leighton's bid.
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #7
finn

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_ View Post
Grocon won't put anything on top. It will be a purpose-built office and no more (ATO style).

Suncorp wanted a site that was as close as possible to a "campus style" development. They rejected innumerable offers from CBD tower developments. They want a 3,000m2 floor plate. They are preferencing sites just outside the CBD. The fact that Grocon still have not bought the site, nor have they submitted any DA is a big problem too. Same deal as with Leighton's bid.
I've heard that the Grocon bid was the only one which couldn't achieve the 3,000sqm floorplates, so may be more of a tower form rather than a stumpy block.

I can't remember exactly but recall hearing that the Grocon proposal housed the 35,000sqm Suncorp requirement within an overall 50,000sqm tower.
finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:09 AM   #8
Marty_

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
I've heard that the Grocon bid was the only one which couldn't achieve the 3,000sqm floorplates
The only other one in the top 5 would be the dental school site.
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:20 AM   #9
Fyver

Likes (Received): 142

So, are we expecting Brisbane Square to be half empty soon?
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not those of my employer, its subsidiaries, clients and partners, not necessarily mine, probably not necessary, and don't intentionally mean to kill the fun.
Fyver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #10
yuma

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_ View Post

I've heard the Grocon DA for 480 Queen is imminent. I've also been fortunate enough to see the plans and hear abit about their proposal. Suncorp wouldnt be the only tenant, the building is sort of split into two buildings, ones for Suncorp ones for other tenants. It's no Signature building but if you worked for Suncorp you would be suitably impressed.
yuma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #11
yuma

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyver View Post
So, are we expecting Brisbane Square to be half empty soon?
Suncorp are keeping their lease in Brisbane Square, its their other 5 buildings (I think its 5) which have leases that run out over the next 4 years.
yuma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #12
tic
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuma View Post
I've heard the Grocon DA for 480 Queen is imminent. I've also been fortunate enough to see the plans and hear abit about their proposal. Suncorp wouldnt be the only tenant, the building is sort of split into two buildings, ones for Suncorp ones for other tenants. It's no Signature building but if you worked for Suncorp you would be suitably impressed.
Thanks Yuma. How tall?
tic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #13
Marty_

Quote:
I've heard the Grocon DA for 480 Queen is imminent.
It is only imminent IF they get the Suncorp deal. Remember they only have an option over the site.
Old August 12th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #14
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 2304

When is Suncorp giving the green light? If it's not today, then it looks like Grocon is going ahead regardless. DA: A003148514 for 480 Queen St lodged today. No docs up yet.
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 03:54 AM   #15
KJBrissy

#Proposed: 480 Queen Street - 36st/146m/office

Thanks Nathan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
When is Suncorp giving the green light? If it's not today, then it looks like Grocon is going ahead regardless. DA: A003148514 for 480 Queen St lodged today. No docs up yet.

Old August 12th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #16
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Likes (Received): 271

Obviously Suncorp have made their decision. Grocon wouldn't waste money on DA fees if they didn't get the go ahead.
SoulvisionQ1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #17
opinions are my own

Likes (Received): 96

i am guessing the assessment fee for a 30,000sqm+ office building is not cheap... does grocon know something everyone else doesn't??
38921111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #18
Samuel77

Likes (Received): 976

Quote:
I It's no Signature building but if you worked for Suncorp you would be suitably impressed.
Is it short? this site really needs a signature building and I will be disappointed if it gets anything less considering the scarcity of quality development sites.
Samuel77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #19
KJBrissy

Why not? Plenty of companies propose office towers and then search for someone to lease it to.

Old August 12th, 2011, 05:10 AM   #20
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 2304

Regardless, I just hope we get something decent out of them! I don't want Grocon doing to this site what they did to Empire Square!
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote