daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #1
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

The best country in Europe to drive on motorways

just out of curiosity. Who will win? we should consider all different criteria, e.g. pavement quality, congestion, average speed, rest areas, safety, stress,...

write your opinions below!

Edit: Ok, I wanted to add a poll, but apperantly you can only add a poll if you hurry up and do that in 5 min, so if there's no way to add a poll now, I suggest to delete this thread and start another.

Last edited by hofburg; August 26th, 2011 at 02:00 PM.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

In my experience I would say France. It's certainly my favourite country to drive in, and I don't pay tolls, my boss does. All the criteria as mentioned above fits in France. The worst country to drive in is the UK to my opionion.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #3
bogdymol
bogdymod

I like Hungarian motorways. They are good quality and often not very congested + there are no tolls, just an affordable vignette.

I also like Italian motorways, but I've been there only as a passenger. Bad thing: they are expensive.

I've also heard that Croatian and Slovenian motorways are nice, but I will find that myself in just a few days

Bad motorways: Czech Republic (D1 Praha - Brno) and Romania (A1 Bucharest - Pitesti).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

My vote for Germany.

Extensive network, good overall road quality, excellent signage, well-educated and (in their majority) disciplined drivers, including those of the many powerful vehicles.
No tolls for passenger cars, no general speed limit.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #5
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

The best views, you will get in Albania.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
My vote for Germany.

Extensive network, good overall road quality, excellent signage, well-educated and (in their majority) disciplined drivers, including those of the many powerful vehicles.
No tolls for passenger cars, no general speed limit.
Road quality has really gone down the drain, they used to be disciplined, but that's all in the past, these days they sit in the overtaking lane way too long, amount of roadworks are beyond a joke, heavy freight traffic everywhere, and have fun with the no general speed limit sitting in a queue... France gets my vote...
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #7
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

I find it hard to believe that Germans has no lane discipline anymore. I have watched plenty of videos of German autobahns, and I don't really see anybody hogging up the left lane.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Road_UK
BANNED

On long stretches it's not so bad, but A99 around Munich, A100 around Berlin or A40 through the Ruhr area... Don't expect any lane discipline. And they're all at it: men, women, Turks but also Helmut and Manfred in their Mercs wearing their feathered Bavarian hats.
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #9
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

I would say Germany but too many busy 2 lane sections. Sweden is nice and quiet which is good. No votes for Belgium?
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #10
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Germany is okay. I like Bundesstraßen better than the Autobahn, I must admit. Many Autobahns are too busy with too much truck traffic, though there are some nice low-trafficked Autobahns as well. I really like the 100 km/h speed limit outside urban areas in Germany. Makes the Dutch 80 km/h speed limit seems like child's play. German drivers are generally better than in the Netherlands, we have too many slowpokes or people who throw their car into the left lane without bothering about people already in the left lane. On the other hand, many Germans act like they own the left lane, the standard approach is to blaze down on someone and not brake until the very last moment, "pushing" someone off the lane. Passing with 130 km/h is no offense, guys.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #11
Philips71

Likes (Received): 2

Dutch highways are very good and free for people that come from outside
Italian highways are good (very good asphalt), but drivers are very arrogants
German's one is often with only 2 track; France is better
Philips71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #12
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
[...] On the other hand, many Germans act like they own the left lane, the standard approach is to blaze down on someone and not brake until the very last moment, "pushing" someone off the lane. Passing with 130 km/h is no offense, guys.
Yeah but at least, they do brake and then wait, instead of flashing the high beam madly and tailgating, which was very typical for drivers of powerful vehicles in former Eastern bloc countries in the '90s, and, for many of them, is even today.

Of course -concerning previous posts- we have to bear in mind the drawbacks of German autobahns: annoying number of Baustellen, heavy traffic in certain areas, high volume of truck thru traffic, and some drivers biased towards foreign-registered vehicles ("them stupid Poles / Belgians / Czechs / ... cannot drive!!") ... but left-lane crawlers are really not typical. On three-lane motorways, the phenomenon of center-lane crawler (Mittelspurschleicher) exists; somehow the self-esteem is higher if driving in the center instead of the right lane.

Still, in an overall evaluation, the German autobahns have a reputation of driver's Mecca, and that's just well-founded!
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #13
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post

Still, in an overall evaluation, the German autobahns have a reputation of driver's Mecca, and that's just well-founded!
I have to disagree. In my opinion, the behaviour on the German motorways is aggressive and uncivilized. The Germans are normally polite but they turn mad when they see the motorway begins sign.

Unfortunately, I can see a similar behaviour arising in Sweden, and that surprises me.

I give my vote for France and Switzerland. Even if speed limits apply there, and the pace is much smoother, the average speed on motorways usually exceeds what is possible in Germany.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #14
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I say Denmark is pretty nice congestion-wise. There simply isn't much congestion. The metropolitan København motorway network is mostly congestion free, and if there is congestion, it's usually not severe. On the other hand, the pavement quality of Danish motorways is quite mediocre, especially considering the car taxes are incredibly high. And there are still too many 110 sections on motorways.
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #15
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

i think it is a little bit ungrateful to judge the whole countries. for instance, one of the nicest motorways i have driven was Italian A24. and could i apply my fascination to whole Italy? of course not.
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #16
hofburg
middle lane hogger

so until now we got:

France 4
Germany 3
Italy 3

Albania 1
Croatia 1
Denmark 1
Hungary 1
Netherlands 1
Slovenia 1
Sweden 1
Switzerland 1
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #17
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Quote:
On the other hand, many Germans act like they own the left lane, the standard approach is to blaze down on someone and not brake until the very last moment, "pushing" someone off the lane. Passing with 130 km/h is no offense, guys.
I don't like that pushing. what about safety distance? that's why I am not very comfortable when driving on German motorways.

Quote:
In my experience I would say France. It's certainly my favourite country to drive in, and I don't pay tolls, my boss does. All the criteria as mentioned above fits in France.
me too. France is more peaceful than Germany. regarding pavement as well still I slightly prefer Italy because of the pavement quality and high barriers.
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #18
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I gotta say Slovenia is pretty high on my list too. Motorway quality is generally impeccable and traffic behaves generally OK. It would be better if the Ljubljana ring road would feature 2x3 lanes though, as all truck traffic in the country comes together there. Signage is also pretty high-standard (one of the best in eastern / southern Europe).
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #19
hofburg
middle lane hogger

but still drivers have sometimes 'german' bad manners I forgot to mention Croatia. especialy A1 is very good quality, low traffic (not on summer weekends though) motorway. there were some worse sections near Rijeka few years ago, but it all got fixed.
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #20
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Signage is also pretty high-standard (one of the best in eastern / southern Europe).
I actually don't like how many towns they put on signs.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote