daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2011, 03:31 AM   #221
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

about sticking to the left lane in Germany (2x2 autobahn): I experienced that whenever I try changing lanes for overtaking and then returning back to the right lane, it doesn't work as the right lane is filled up by trucks, once you are at their speed you can't get out anymore as the left lane is driving at 130+kmh in a queue. so I just do what all the Germans do: stick to the left lane. what makes their motorways very unpleasant to drive.

GROBIN are you french?

btw, I would send all the bad drivers to Paris for one year, there they could learn how to drive looking at all the mirrors at the same time.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #222
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

This is what I think:

Austria: I think the motorways are in good conditions. Wonderful views on them too. Signs are ok, but I dont think they are the best.

Belgium: I think too many of the motorways in Belgium are in bad contidion. Sometimes there are to many lights on them too. But the signs are quite good.

Croatia: I think they are building a good motorway network. Good pavement and lights on the places that need it. Good signs too.

Cyprus: A small Island with very good motorways. The signs are good too. But the drivers in Cyprus are not good.

Czech Republic: Very good motorways. Very good signs on them too. But I still miss parts of the D8 from Prague to the German border. Thats a very important motorway and its still not complete.

Denmark: Not bad at all. And all of the bridges there are nice. But maybe the motorways in Denmark are a little bit boring for me. The signs are quite good. But I think the neighbour countries Sweden and Germany have better signs on the motorways than they have in Denmark.

France: Good motorway network. But sometimes a little bit boring for me. The signs are ok for me, but not the best.

Germany: A good network. The Germans can drive aggressive but disiplined. But some motorways still have very old pavement. The signs are very good. But I think some German motorways should have lights. They have to less of them in Germany. Some German motorways around bigger cities are very dark because they have no lights.

Hungary: Excelent motorways. And I love the signs on the Hungarian motorways.

Italy: A good motorway network. But I think sometimes the Superstrada Motorways are in very bad condition. The Autostrada Motorways are good most of the times. I think the signs on the Italian motorways are quite good, but sometimes a little bit old fashioned. They still miss for example numbers on the junctions. Only some cities have numbers on the junctions but with Italian text, not the international symbol for that.

Luxembourg: A small country with an excelent motorway network. They looks perfect for me. The signs are good too.

Netherlands. Good motorway network, but for me they are sometimes a little bit boring. Many of them have lights and that lights are most of the times in very good condition. Quite good signs on them too. Sometimes I think the motorways in Netherlands look quite similar to the motorways in the UK.

Poland: They still need more motorways than they have. But they are really trying to build them quickly and that make me impressed. The modern motorways in Poland are maybe the best in Europe. Like A2 and A4. But A18 is horrible and they really need to repair it. And I still miss the A2 to Warszawa, but I hope that part will be finished in the summer. I miss numbers on the junctions. But the signs at the Polish motorways are very good.

Portugal: Excelent motorways most of the times. Very good signs on them too.

Serbia: I dont think they are bad at all. Parts of the Serbian motorways still look very old and not so good. But they are working with the motorways there, and I think they are doing a good job there. In future I think Serbia is going to have a very good motorway network. But they must repair the E75 from Belgrade to Nis. And I hope they very soon building out the E75 from Leskovac to Macedonian border to a real motorway. The signs in Serbia are ok. But I miss numbers on the junctions.

Slovakia: They need more motorways. But the motorways in Slovakia are quite good. I like the signs in Slovakia too.

Slovenia: Very good motorways with very good signs. Good pavement on most of them.

Spain: I hate the signs at the Spanish motorways. They look really horrible! But the motorways are ok for me.

Sweden: Some parts is still missing, like parts of the E6 north of Uddevalla and E22 from Lund to Karlskrona. Very mixed standard. Some motorways are very new and modern but some of them are very old. To many people dont know how to drive on motorways, so I dont think Swedish drivers are so very good at motorways. The signs on the Swedish motorways are good.

Switzerland: I think they are very good. Good condition and I thnk pavement is good on them. I think they have good signs too. They have really wonderful views. And all of the tunnels makes them interesting. But the Gotthard Road Tunnel at the A2 is a little bit claustrophobic.

The UK: I think they are good. Around the cities there are lights on them, and most of the lights are very good. The signs are good in the UK too. The only thing I miss at the signs in the UK is metric distance. I dont understand miles and yards. The pavement is good at most of them. But I think they should finish the A1/A1(M) to Newcastle.

Yes, that was all of the countries I know how to drive on the motorways.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #223
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post

Italy: A good motorway network. But I think sometimes the Superstrada Motorways are in very bad condition. The Autostrada Motorways are good most of the times. I think the signs on the Italian motorways are quite good, but sometimes a little bit old fashioned. They still miss for example numbers on the junctions. Only some cities have numbers on the junctions but with Italian text, not the international symbol for that.
As for my country, I think you're generally right. Even though some newer Superstrade sometimes are better than older Autostrade. Sicilian autostrade for example are regarded as poor, while some parts of superstrada SS3bis are quite pleasant and nice to drive.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #224
Kvietok

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
How do you regard D1 Prešov - Košice ?
Major part of Prešov-Košice D1 is in good shape, even though last few kilometers before Košice are quite bumpy.

I dont have a lot of experience from European highways but for me are Croatian hws best (beautiful scenery, pavement, services along etc.)

Last edited by Kvietok; December 26th, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Kvietok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #225
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
But I think they should finish the A1/A1(M) to Newcastle.

They have. From London to Newcastle it's a motorway/dual carriageway all the way, and after Bedford not a single roundabout on it.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #226
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

One thing I don't get is why some put 'good pavement' as an advantage of the British motorways. I probably wouldn't go as far as calling the pavement bad (such as on some Belgian motorways) but at most stretches it's certainly far from being good. At least not good enough to name it as an advantage. There are no potholes or big cracks but that's it. Typically UK motorways would be a bit wobbly and somewhat 'imperfect' most of the time with slightly uneven surface and very slight albeit constant shaking and wobbling around as if they were really old (they probably are) and not refurbished properly in a long time.

By 'good pavement' I mean something you would typically see in The Netherlands, newer Polish motorways/expressways, some stretches of newer German Autobahns or the M6 Toll near Birmingham.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #227
Road_UK
BANNED

And most of the French toll roads of course. And in Yorkshire you do find a lot of cracks and potholes. I think that Britain and Germany are rated so highly, because they look at the country itself, not the state of their roads.
Old December 27th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #228
Pansori
planquadrat

What do you mean look at the country itself? UK motorway network is like half complete with entire densely populated regions (such as SE) not having motorways where they're desperately needed.

I think what appeals to people is the standards (typically long slip roads and 3x2 layout) which are quite good for most of the time (I don't mean those freaky motorway-with-motorway roundabout junctions which are just wtf) and look quite good. But I guess those people are mostly who have either never driven in Britain or driven not enough to see what's the actual situation.
Old December 27th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #229
Road_UK
BANNED

No, I meant - it's mostly people from the former Eastern Block countries that would choose Britain or Germany because they like it there. It's trendy, even though some of the roads are crap.
Old December 27th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #230
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
No, I meant - it's mostly people from the former Eastern Block countries that would choose Britain or Germany because they like it there. It's trendy, even though some of the roads are crap.
I don't quite get what you're trying to say here. Putting British motorways in the same pot with German ones is a bit unfair. There is no much comparison in terms of road and motorway adequacy in UK and Germany.
Old December 27th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #231
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

The density of motorways in the UK may not be that night, but it isn't all bad. There are a few places which could do with them.

In general I find the UK to have a high standard of motorway. This is because a standard motorway is 3+3 rather than the continental 2+2 standard. Also there aren't any clover leaf junctions either...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #232
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
The density of motorways in the UK may not be that night, but it isn't all bad. There are a few places which could do with them.

In general I find the UK to have a high standard of motorway. This is because a standard motorway is 3+3 rather than the continental 2+2 standard. Also there aren't any clover leaf junctions either...
But there are roundabout junctions which are not compatible with motorway standards at all (as opposed to cloverleaf junctions). Moreover, despite the 3+3 layout British motorways are typically much more busy than those in Germany or France so this is by no means an advantage. In fact, many 3+3 stretches should be 4+4 due to high traffic volumes.
Old December 27th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #233
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
despite the 3+3 layout British motorways are typically much more busy than those in Germany or France so this is by no means an advantage. In fact, many 3+3 stretches should be 4+4 due to high traffic volumes.
A 3+3 motorway is a lot better than having all that traffic on a 2+2 motorway. There are quite a few stretches of Motorway which are 4+4 and 5+5 aswell, but widening a motorway is only good until a certain point where its best to look at other solutions...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #234
Attii

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I don't quite get what you're trying to say here. Putting British motorways in the same pot with German ones is a bit unfair. There is no much comparison in terms of road and motorway adequacy in UK and Germany.
I assume he means that the appeal of/and prospect of finding eventually reliable employment in the UK for Eastern European citizens incl. Lithuanians makes 'em somewhat blind regarding the actual guality of the country's road infrastructure..
Attii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #235
Road_UK
BANNED

^ exactly.
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #236
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
In Slovakia people usually take Germany as one of the countries with the best network because it's really large and connects pretty much everything comparing to Slovakia, and maybe also because of the speed limit . Usually when people speak about good motorways they mention Croatia, I agree that they have high quality motorways indeed but they probably usually put it as no. 1 because both countries had similar conditions to start with building a motorways - lack of development during communism, moutains, lack of money and many major sections were missing.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #237
Road_UK
BANNED

Slovakia has improved a lot in recent years though. Take Bratislava for example. I remember the first time I had to pass through and what a mess it was. It only took them a couple of years to build an extended and high profile network through and around the city, with near-perfect connections with Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary and the rest of the country.
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #238
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Bratislava has great connection with most of the regions around, only lacking connection is R7 from Harbour bridge to Dunajská Streda (and half-profile to Nové Zámky). But we also need D4 between Austrian border and Vajnory (Airport). Actually it's not that bad in the West comparing the motorway network to the East, we just need some half-profile R sections. It's nothing to do with motorways but SSC just started the biggest repavement of 1 class roads in Trnava and Nitra county, with 150 km of new roads Western road network will be very good comparing to the rest of Slovakia, however they gonna repave and update another 500 km of I. roads in other counties but there are still many very important sections which are just simply missing.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #239
Road_UK
BANNED

You'll get there. When you build something, it's important that you get it right. After all, Rome wasn't built in one day.

Take a look on the Belgian thread. A supposingly western country with an ancient road network. Instead of maintaining it properly, they have now apparantly decided to renew the network by 2015 (with our European money of course, Belgium isn't anywhere near triple A rating status)
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #240
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attii View Post
I assume he means that the appeal of/and prospect of finding eventually reliable employment in the UK for Eastern European citizens incl. Lithuanians makes 'em somewhat blind regarding the actual guality of the country's road infrastructure..
Ehm, maybe. I don't think this is what we're discussing though. I was wondering why some forumers even over here put some aspects of UK motorways as advantages while they're certainly not. I don't know how is this anything to do with the prospect of finding a job for Eastern Europeans.