daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #241
seem
Mornar bez mora
 
seem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 8,012
Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
You'll get there. When you build something, it's important that you get it right. After all, Rome wasn't built in one day.

Take a look on the Belgian thread. A supposingly western country with an ancient road network. Instead of maintaining it properly, they have now apparantly decided to renew the network by 2015 (with our European money of course, Belgium isn't anywhere near triple A rating status)
But still comparing to similar countries we are still lacking behind, of course that also landscape is the major problem and disadvatnage but if we just compare road network it's just bad, take for instance Hungary or Czech Republic.

Why is that actually? The same about Britain, I really don't understand why the construction of roads and motorways just stopped some years (or decades?) ago. It's quite ironic that driving on main roads in the UK is almost (or it just really is) worse than driving on our crap roads, well I think this has also some historical reasons, I mean your roads are just so curvy and going up and down all the time, usually quite narrow and there are bushes all around so you can't see anyting. Travelling 5hrs on such a roads in Wales was really annoying, thanks God I usually did just short trips.
__________________
Slovakia-One photo a day

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #242
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

At the moment you're not lacking anymore behind then these countries you have mentioned. Also keep in mind that Slovakia is not over populated compared to countries like Germany, Belgium, Britain or Holland, who needs a great infrastructure to keep the country moving. Belgium and Britain did not keep this in mind when they designed their infrastructures. You are. And you still have plenty of time to design and carefully plan your infrastructure - and with projects already completed, it goes to show that you're on the right road. But these things take time. You will get there.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #243
Attii
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 216
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
^ exactly.
lol.. wait n see if the "pommies" road infrastructure in a few years is gradually going to be degraded in East European reviews
Attii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #244
seem
Mornar bez mora
 
seem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 8,012
Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
At the moment you're not lacking anymore behind then these countries you have mentioned. Also keep in mind that Slovakia is not over populated compared to countries like Germany, Belgium, Britain or Holland, who needs a great infrastructure to keep the country moving. Belgium and Britain did not keep this in mind when they designed their infrastructures. You are. And you still have plenty of time to design and carefully plan your infrastructure - and with projects already completed, it goes to show that you're on the right road. But these things take time. You will get there.
Well and another thing which I just completle forgot. Britain is an inland so it's quite clear why your network is different from other countries, people usually travel just between cities, there are no bordering countries and any roads which would carrie transport between two other countries.
__________________
Slovakia-One photo a day

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #245
Attii
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 216
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Ehm, maybe. I don't think this is what we're discussing though. I was wondering why some forumers even over here put some aspects of UK motorways as advantages while they're certainly not. I don't know how is this anything to do with the prospect of finding a job for Eastern Europeans.
Hope you know what the word irony means?
Attii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #246
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Well and another thing which I just completle forgot. Britain is an inland so it's quite clear why your network is different from other countries, people usually travel just between cities, there are no bordering countries and any roads which would carrie transport between two other countries.
The only road that would come near to that would be the M20 to Dover. And that's relatively congestion free compared to the M1, M6 and M25.

But they're not "my" roads, and I'm not fully British. I'm a silly Dutchman living in a ski-resort in Austria, who happens to be here, there and everywhere, including Britain and Slovakia.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #247
Pansori
planquadrat
 
Pansori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London - Vilnius
Posts: 9,973
Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attii View Post
Hope you know what the word irony means?
Sure, I just don't see how that answered my question though.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #248
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again
 
KingNick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,039
Likes (Received): 8718

My favorite Autobahn is A8 between Salzburg and Munich. Scenery, going up and down plus the old layout makes it one of a kind.

A10 Tauernautobahn in Austria is also pretty nice.
__________________
Europa per gli europei
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #249
Pansori
planquadrat
 
Pansori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London - Vilnius
Posts: 9,973
Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
My favorite Autobahn is A8 between Salzburg and Munich. Scenery, going up and down plus the old layout makes it one of a kind.

A10 Tauernautobahn in Austria is also pretty nice.
I took this vid back in early 2010. It's a nice road but I bet it's much nicer in summer than it was in winter

Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 03:31 AM   #250
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again
 
KingNick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,039
Likes (Received): 8718

Definitely, yes.

Actually the whole A8 - A10 - A23 (Tarviso to Udine) corridor is very nice to drive.
__________________
Europa per gli europei
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 05:14 AM   #251
hofburg
middle lane hogger
 
hofburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Gorica
Posts: 3,270
Likes (Received): 464

agree for A23.it and A10.at, but A8 Salzburg Munich?? apart scenery it's one of the worst autobahns ever.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 05:20 AM   #252
Ribarca
Registered User
 
Ribarca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 6,706
Likes (Received): 3347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese_Almaghrebia View Post
Definitely Belgium. With all those traffic jams..
And the concrete plates they use for many roads. It makes that "duk duk duk duk sound" all the time driving over it. Not too mention you always get lost unless you use a Tom Tom since they often put a sign with directions last minute.
__________________
This is my world,and I am the World Leader Pretend.


Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com

Last edited by Ribarca; December 28th, 2011 at 05:29 AM.
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 05:37 AM   #253
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again
 
KingNick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,039
Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg
agree for A23.it and A10.at, but A8 Salzburg Munich?? apart scenery it's one of the worst autobahns ever.
I am aware of the fact that it's in poor condition and far from nowadays standards for an Autobahn, but exactly this makes it special for me. Tight curves, steepish, love it!
__________________
Europa per gli europei
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #254
bogdymol
bogdymod
 
bogdymol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,186

Italian A23 Autostrada Alpe-Adria is indeed a magnificent drive:


@6:13

I also drove on german A8 near Salzburg, but it was quite crowded and stresfull to drive with all those speed maniacs around...
__________________
Lived, Been, Drove in: A B BG BiH CH CZ D DK E F FIN FL GBZ GR H HR I IRL L M MNE P PL RO RSM S SK SLO SRB UK V
+ Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, United Arab Emirates & United States of America
my clinched highways
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #255
ptscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: München
Posts: 100
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
I am aware of the fact that it's in poor condition and far from nowadays standards for an Autobahn, but exactly this makes it special for me. Tight curves, steepish, love it!
Yes, the very old parts without speedlimit are great. Ulm-Augsburg-München was daily limited.
ptscout no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #256
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,511
Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Italian A23 Autostrada Alpe-Adria is indeed a magnificent drive:


@6:13
This is the best Autostrada I drove in so far. I had high hopes regarding A32 Turin-Frejus since it is one of the newest in Italy, but it's bumpy and curvy and full of roadworks.

A1 south of Rome and A14 between Bologna and Rimini are also very relaxing to drive.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #257
hofburg
middle lane hogger
 
hofburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Gorica
Posts: 3,270
Likes (Received): 464

A23 doesn't have much traffic as well, and coming from Austria you think you came to the asphalt heaven
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #258
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
And the concrete plates they use for many roads. It makes that "duk duk duk duk sound" all the time driving over it. Not too mention you always get lost unless you use a Tom Tom since they often put a sign with directions last minute.
Yes, but you cannot say this to Belgians. They get very upset when you say things like that, and they start spitting at you, but the only thing that gets wet are their computer screens.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #259
Nordic20T
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 405
Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
but A8 Salzburg Munich?? apart scenery it's one of the worst autobahns ever.
I agree. I stopped using it and take now A92/A3 when driving from Switzerland to Hungary.
A92 has almost no speed limit and very low traffic, and A3 from Deggendorf to Passau is also surprisingly calm.
Nordic20T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #260
Accura4Matalan
Registered User
 
Accura4Matalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hinckley, UK
Posts: 13,607
Likes (Received): 1571

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
But still comparing to similar countries we are still lacking behind, of course that also landscape is the major problem and disadvatnage but if we just compare road network it's just bad, take for instance Hungary or Czech Republic.

Why is that actually? The same about Britain, I really don't understand why the construction of roads and motorways just stopped some years (or decades?) ago. It's quite ironic that driving on main roads in the UK is almost (or it just really is) worse than driving on our crap roads, well I think this has also some historical reasons, I mean your roads are just so curvy and going up and down all the time, usually quite narrow and there are bushes all around so you can't see anyting. Travelling 5hrs on such a roads in Wales was really annoying, thanks God I usually did just short trips.
When reading peoples accounts like this (and there are many on this thread) I do get the feeling that many people have not driven much in the UK outside of South East England (where the road network is largely incomplete). Across the country, there are no major problems with connectivity either linking urban centres or driving cross country. Certainly, there are motorways which have not been built to full plan, but not in a way that makes a journey effectively impossible or much more difficult. I cannot think of anywhere in the UK where a motorway is desperately needed (one exception being the Scotland link north of Newcastle). In these supposed gaps, dual-carriageway A-roads do the job just as well with motorway speeds and regulations, especially in Wales, Northern Scotland, and the English Midlands.
Even in the South East, I don't think that additional roads would solve many problems compared to the heavy investments currently being made in public transport.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium