daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2011, 07:24 PM   #281
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
Still i hope there is a small voice inside them which will say after few years " wtf were we doing all these years?? we must built new roads! " you know its that small common sense voice ...
Yeah, I don't think thats gonna happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Are they particularly pro-road (or do they have a snowball's chance in hell of beating both the Tories and Labour in the same election at any time in the foreseeable future)? Or am I not understanding you?

Not that I mean to get into another country's politics; I just got the impression they were chronically a third party, and would have guessed they were a bit green.
The Liberals are more powerful in some places than others, such as in Cornwall or Northern Scotland, but overall they have no chance of winning an election and they are more unpopular now than ever. They are seriously hated at the moment by many people for going into coalition/being annexed by a party with which they disagree with on almost everything because they thought they'd get a bit of power out it, which they didn't. They are a bit green, but so are the other parties, for example the Conservatives tried to gain votes by taking some ecological policies from the Green Party, but not social ones, considering that the Green Party has left wing social policies, although the Conservatives are probably more left-wing than the Democrats in the US. The Liberal Democrats want to build on the railway network, which is also probably unpopular, in fact recently there has been a lot of anti-railway nimbyism.

Anyway, no party is going to risk loosing votes by building roads I don't think.

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; December 31st, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2011, 10:01 PM   #282
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It's just that in Germany they're a lot more frequent. In Italy people doing 200+ exist, but they're not so frequent as the cliché suggests. I'm not particularly kind to my fellow Italians, other clichés are real, for instance no one (and I mean it) uses blinkers.
In fact, quite a lot of italians are driving awfully slow as well...
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 10:56 PM   #283
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

especially in the central lane
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 11:33 PM   #284
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods

Are they particularly pro-road (or do they have a snowball's chance in hell of beating both the Tories and Labour in the same election at any time in the foreseeable future)? Or am I not understanding you?

Not that I mean to get into another country's politics; I just got the impression they were chronically a third party, and would have guessed they were a bit green.
I just keep reading opinions of Nick Clegg and other figures of that party. Among other things such as the need to rebalance the British economy away from dependency on finance sector they mention the need to improve transport infrastructure and specifically roads. Nothing special really. Pretty much common sense which has been clinically ignored by two other main parties for a while now.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 12:00 AM   #285
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

Quote:
The Liberal Democrats want to build on the railway network, which is also probably unpopular, in fact recently there has been a lot of anti-railway nimbyism.
Why?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 11:40 AM   #286
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
In fact, quite a lot of italians are driving awfully slow as well...
I wouldn't say that. Vast majority drive a little over the limit.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 12:35 PM   #287
Angelos

Likes (Received): 448

Another thing is that in the UK goverment support people to use the railway instead of their cars.

The point is that lets say a 4 member family wants from London to brighton, their tickets would be about 70 quid one way, with return would be about 120 if there is a discount ? If they used their car it would be almost half the price and much more comfortable and with freedom to go anywhere they want. Dont some people understand that trains will never replace private transport ?
Angelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 12:37 PM   #288
Angelos

Quote:
i wouldnt say that either, when i was in italy most of them were driving 160+ at overtake lane, middle lane was for 80 km/h and right lane was for 200 km/h +

Especially the ring road of Milano was quite scary, and the bendy autostrada between Genoa - Torino. Lots of tailgating there and fast driving at bends
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:13 PM   #289
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
I quite often see people driving like 60 - 70 km/h or ever slower on 2 lane-stretches as the A9 Lainate - Como or the eastern ring Milano. And as a truck driver I'm not allowed to pass them (overtaking ban), so these drivers can be quite a pain in the ass..
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:45 PM   #290
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
i wouldnt say that either, when i was in italy most of them were driving 160+ at overtake lane, middle lane was for 80 km/h and right lane was for 200 km/h +
This was probably long time ago, times have changed. It is pretty rare thing to see someone going 160 or more, even in the south.
keber está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 03:02 PM   #291
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:

Especially the ring road of Milano was quite scary, and the bendy autostrada between Genoa - Torino. Lots of tailgating there and fast driving at bends
This must be something location-related (or time-related as keber said), 'cause I never drove on those roads you mentioned. But I can assure you that on A14 very few people speed, and vast majority of them are San Marino plated cars.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 03:50 PM   #292
MajKeR_
¡La Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9122

I've been one time in town past Italian A14. When they've rebuilt it for 2x3, one way was closed and the second one was divided for two directions. There were two stenosed lanes for every direction, with speed limit 60 or 80 km/h (it depended of stretch), but it hasn't prevented drivers to drive about 120 km/h.

It shows how tendency may exist on this motorway. But it has pretty surface and quite low traffic, so such behaviors may be justified.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 03:50 PM   #293
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

they stick to the limit here in northeast I.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 05:19 PM   #294
gigilamoroso

Likes (Received): 3

The best country in Europe to drive on motorways is definitely Portugal.

Indeed, Portugal is full of desert motorways with few traffic payed by european funds (one of the densest motorway network in europe for one of the poorest country).

In Portugal you can do whatever you want on the roads : there isn't enforcement. Police is paid for playing cards in their headquarters. Hence, the motorway network in Portugal is like German autobhan : you can do 200 km/h. Besides you can tailgate, drive under the influence, go countraflow without being annoyed by the cops.

And if you kill someone, don't be preoccupied : you won't go to jail. Justice is very kind with you, even if you are drunk, going 200 km/h and under the influence of drugs. Ok you will be arrest but the judge will send you home quick. And the trial, if there's a trial will occur 10 years after the wreck. The judge will say "very bad boy, don't do it again".

Yeah definitely Portugal.
gigilamoroso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 07:33 PM   #295
whiteguard

Likes (Received): 36

Russia?
whiteguard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 07:33 PM   #296
Angelos

Sounds like Greece to me :P
Old January 1st, 2012, 11:42 PM   #297
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Dont some people understand that trains will never replace private transport ?

They have in some places. People travelling to London who don't live there mostly take the train to avoid congestion, congestion charge and nightmare parking...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 04:56 AM   #298
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

The congestion is proof that trains haven't replaced private transport. For the foreseeable future, we'll need both mass transit and individual transportation.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:42 PM   #299
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
The congestion is proof that trains haven't replaced private transport. For the foreseeable future, we'll need both mass transit and individual transportation.
The evolution of the transport goes like this: feet, ship, horse, chariots, rail, cars, buses, aerplanes, future.

If we dont invent some new mod of transport in the near future. The only evolution would be combination of public and private transports in intelligent transport grids. The evolution is not in decision either train or cars. The evolution is in new types of transport or their combination and improvement.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:50 AM   #300
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
In Italy people doing 200+ exist, but they're not so frequent as the cliché suggests.
They were common in the past, now fortunately Tutor and points on driving licence are doing their job.
Our motorway anti-speeding system (Tutor) is IMHO quite fair because calculates your average speed in a section of highway that is some km long and doesn't create problem if you drive 140-150 kph for a short time eg. while overtaking.
There is a 5% tolerance, so people driving below 137kph aren't fined.
The most stupid law is the limit of 100kph (and 90kph on expressways, instead of 110) for beginning drivers (less than 3 years!). Off course nobody respect it because obviously Tutor can't know for how long you have the driving licence and would no record your plate number if you drive below 130. However, if you are stopped because you did 150 you will get a lighter punishment (in terms of euros and points lost) if you got the licence more than 3 years before (only 20kph above the limit) but a harsher one if you are a new driver (because you drove 50kph above the limit).

Quote:
But I can assure you that on A14 very few people speed, and vast majority of them are San Marino plated cars.
Are those plates unrecognizable by speed cameras? Doesn't Italian police send fines to San Marino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteguard View Post
Russia?
Are there long-distance motorways between Russian cities and between Russia and its neighbouring countries or only near\around Moscow and Saint Petersburg?
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote