daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:08 AM   #301
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

The way I see it.

If there were places where I'd want to drive in European continent, then it would be in places without rail transportation (i.e. Malta or Gibraltar or Cyprus). Sure if the place has no rail transportation or train services, then I could get a taxi...........but I wanna try driving a car just for the experience hehe

Slightly off-topic:
Singapore is a fantastic country (no doubt about that). Progressive, first-world, developed country and other positive stuff. You name it.

But I hate the strict enforcement of the uber-low speed limit (90 km/h max speed limit WTF?!?!?). In fact, there's a video out there in Youtube of a guy driving his Ferrari along Ayer Rajah Expressway but he hesitates to go beyond 100 km/h because of fear that he might be fined heavily or jailed for breaking the speed limit.

Seriously, someone should present research papers and academic papers to the LTA (Land Transportation Authority of Singapore) showing that if speed is too slow, then it also causes accidents as well because slow speed makes drivers bored and sleepy causing them to lose attention hence accidents.......
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:30 AM   #302
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven
The way I see it.

If there were places where I'd want to drive in European continent, then it would be in places without rail transportation (i.e. Malta or Gibraltar or Cyprus). Sure if the place has no rail transportation or train services, then I could get a taxi...........but I wanna try driving a car just for the experience hehe

Slightly off-topic:
Singapore is a fantastic country (no doubt about that). Progressive, first-world, developed country and other positive stuff. You name it.

But I hate the strict enforcement of the uber-low speed limit (90 km/h max speed limit WTF?!?!?). In fact, there's a video out there in Youtube of a guy driving his Ferrari along Ayer Rajah Expressway but he hesitates to go beyond 100 km/h because of fear that he might be fined heavily or jailed for breaking the speed limit.

Seriously, someone should present research papers and academic papers to the LTA (Land Transportation Authority of Singapore) showing that if speed is too slow, then it also causes accidents as well because slow speed makes drivers bored and sleepy causing them to lose attention hence accidents.......
True. However what must not be forgotten is that Singapore is a city state and all of its expressways are urban expressways like in any other cities. I don't think limit would normally exceeded 100km/h in such circumstances.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #303
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos
Another thing is that in the UK goverment support people to use the railway instead of their cars.

The point is that lets say a 4 member family wants from London to brighton, their tickets would be about 70 quid one way, with return would be about 120 if there is a discount ? If they used their car it would be almost half the price and much more comfortable and with freedom to go anywhere they want. Dont some people understand that trains will never replace private transport ?
To be fair trains don't have to be anything like that expensive, I just checked and a family of two adults and two children can get a London-Brighton return this Saturday for £17 if they have a family railcard.

But yes, trains will never be able to get you everywhere you want to go at a time and price that is convenient, access to a car is a very useful thing.

I like the idea of car sharing clubs which give access to car transport when you need it without the big overhead costs of car ownership. That way you can use public transport or car depending on what is suitable for your journey. Car owners will almost always use the car even if public transport is the better option because they have already paid the bulk of overheads and the marginal costs of fuel only are not that big.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #304
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
This statement is entirely in your head.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #305
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Motorways in Serbia are terrible compared to regional motorways such as Slovenia, Croatia and Albania. Yes they are old motorways but so are the motorways in western Europe. Serbia fails to maintain its poor quality highways.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #306
EUSERB
Anti-EU

Likes (Received): 2523

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirtkosova View Post
Motorways in Serbia are terrible compared to regional motorways such as Slovenia, Croatia and Albania. Yes they are old motorways but so are the motorways in western Europe. Serbia fails to maintain its poor quality highways.
Didn't i tell you already to stop mentioning Serbia? If you don't like Serbia,which you don't,don't talk about us...

Сербы в Новороссии / Serbs in Novorossiya
EUSERB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #307
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

The best countries in europe to drive on motorways and roads in General are Slovenia, Hungary and Bulgaria, since these countries have the smoothest asphalt and driving on them feels like driving on a thick carpet. Those countries have the smoothest asphalt of the countries I have been to, Germany is also nice, lots of new motorways and they are pretty smooth aswell, but if people want to feel really soft asphalt these are the countries to go. I love roads that have no wave or any tiny bump for 20 kilometers or more and when you drive you only hear the music and see how the cars and landscape pass instead of feeling the hard asphalt on your tires. Soft and smooth asphalt is very important for me.
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #308
radi6404

Quote:
Serbia did a lot and a lot of motorways are very well now, the Stretch Nis - Bulgarian border, the stretches close to Belgrad, the stretch to the Croatian border is great aswell and the new stretches towards Szeged are pretty good aswell, they did a lot.
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #309
TuzlaBoy
Proud to be Bosnian

Likes (Received): 272

Bosnia have high standards in making of motorways.
60km in use
90km in build

Last edited by TuzlaBoy; January 11th, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
TuzlaBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #310
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It is not always about good quality of road surface. There is also the subject of efficient road signing, adequate amount and high quality of rest stops and fuel stations (clean toilets), road behaviour and lane discipline of other road users, safety barriers and other features, wide hard shoulders and decent and fair road traffic law enforcement. Good quality road surface alone doesn't make a motorway the best motorway to drive on.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #311
radi6404

but it is surely very important.
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #312
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
It is not always about good quality of road surface. There is also the subject of efficient road signing, adequate amount and high quality of rest stops and fuel stations (clean toilets), road behaviour and lane discipline of other road users, safety barriers and other features, wide hard shoulders and decent and fair road traffic law enforcement. Good quality road surface alone doesn't make a motorway the best motorway to drive on.
Considering all the conditions you mentioned I would put Hungary somewhere in the top.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #313
Mr.Johnson

Likes (Received): 62

The best highways are in the nord of Italy for sure!)
Mr.Johnson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #314
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:

No, the Serbian motorways are quite good. And many people agree with me here. Some motorways still need to be repaired, but they are working a lot now with the Serbian motorway network. Look for example at the E75 with Beska bridge and the part from Novi Sad to Hungarian border. And compared to the Slovenian and Croatian motorways, they are quite good. Serbia started to build out the motorway network some years later than Slovenia and Croatia. Slovenia and Croatia started in 1990s and Serbia started after 2000, but Serbia is comming now, and the modern projects in Serbia are similar to the projects in Slovenia and Croatia. All those 3 countries, Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia really wants to have a good motorway network and that 3 countries has motorway networks that also working very good together aswell. And the Serbian motorway network is now working very good together with the Hungarian motorway network aswell too. The Serbian motorway network is working like a south east part of Central Europe, together with Croatia, Hungary, Slovenia and Austria.

Im sorry to say that, but Albania have a long way before they have a motorway network that are built together with Central Europe.

And please stop with your anti-Serbian propaganda. I'm not Serbian, but i'm tired about to read what you are writing everytime you are writing about Serbia.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #315
MajKeR_
¡La Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9120

It's not only anti-Serbian propaganda - as I see, Serbians still regard Kosovo as their own area, and citizens of Kosovo repay them by unfriendly opinions. To be honest, I understand each of them. But from my far-by-thousand-kilometers point of view: let Serbia leave Kosovo in peace, with its Albanian relationship, and Kosovo stop invade Serbia.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #316
Kulla
BANNED

Likes (Received): 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
No, the Serbian motorways are quite good. And many people agree with me here. Some motorways still need to be repaired, but they are working a lot now with the Serbian motorway network. Look for example at the E75 with Beska bridge and the part from Novi Sad to Hungarian border. And compared to the Slovenian and Croatian motorways, they are quite good. Serbia started to build out the motorway network some years later than Slovenia and Croatia. Slovenia and Croatia started in 1990s and Serbia started after 2000, but Serbia is comming now, and the modern projects in Serbia are similar to the projects in Slovenia and Croatia. All those 3 countries, Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia really wants to have a good motorway network and that 3 countries has motorway networks that also working very good together aswell. And the Serbian motorway network is now working very good together with the Hungarian motorway network aswell too. The Serbian motorway network is working like a south east part of Central Europe, together with Croatia, Hungary, Slovenia and Austria.

Im sorry to say that, but Albania have a long way before they have a motorway network that are built together with Central Europe.

And please stop with your anti-Serbian propaganda. I'm not Serbian, but i'm tired about to read what you are writing everytime you are writing about Serbia.

Have you ever heard of this thing called *freedom of speech*?
Kulla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #317
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulla View Post
Have you ever heard of this thing called *freedom of speech*?
this is private owned forum and there is no freedom of speech here. this is not a public place, but private property.
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #318
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Big misunderstanding about freedom of speech: it doen't mean you can say whatever you want. Incitement to racial hatred is a felony in many nations.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #319
Macedonicus
Student

Likes (Received): 14

You're all going off-topic. I think the best roads in Europe are the ones in Germany and Hungary. There is progress in Macedonia aswell but there's a lot of work to be done.
Macedonicus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #320
Kulla
BANNED

Likes (Received): 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type

this is private owned forum and there is no freedom of speech here. this is not a public place, but private property.
Well then its still not up to him, me or you to decide what can be said here.
Kulla no está en línea   Reply With Quote