daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #21
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
I actually don't like how many towns they put on signs.
I agree, but it's mostly on distance signs, not on signs at important decisive points (such as interchanges).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #22
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Signage is also pretty high-standard (one of the best in eastern / southern Europe).
khm

i agree about driving habbits there, but each time i go there it is a bit too crowded. the best thing in Slovenia is their feeling for adapting motorways into nature. they simply looks like they must be there to make scenery better. that's really rare imo.
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #23
csd

Likes (Received): 49

I would have to say France too. The tolls are expensive but the quality is first-rate: good signage, aires every 10 km, decent services every 50 - 60 km, hardly any congestion, and a pretty extensive network.

Slovenia or Switzerland would be second in my opinion. Germany isn't bad, but as others have said, far too many trucks and usually quite congested.

My least favourites would be Italy (ugly signage, mad drivers), Spain (see Italy), and Belgium (awful drivers, awful signage). Austrian signage is pretty ugly too, but the mountain views make up for it

/csd
csd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #24
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Call me mad but I'm throwing in a vote for the British Motorway Network. Yes, it's congested and to small today, but the quality of the roads themself (curvature and elevations) is superb. And it's mostly three-lane, even in remote locations like some places on the M6 and A74(M). And toll-free (except the M6 Toll and some bridges).

Considering the condition of british roads before the M'way, and the transition and quality they had from day one is impressive, but as mentioned earlier, the network could do well with many more new connections.

Denmark is on a respectable second place. They follow the same, calm, slip-road strategy that don't throw you out of the car when you make an exit, like many places in Norway.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #25
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Germany should be the best one. Nice coverage, no speed limit, good pavement, no tools, plenty of resting areas.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #26
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

I was thinking about discipline today, during my trip München-Heidelberg. After 30k km driven in Germany in less than 1 year, I made up my mind:

-Germans go fast. I mean, really fast. Overall they behave quite well, but a bit too often you find the moron (today a guy was repeatedly trying to overtake me on a 1-lane motorway ramp...);
-Dutch behave, mostly because 90% of them tow a trailer so they can't afford high speeds Seriously, I find their style of driving quite "German" but overall they behave better.
-French. I was about to say that I'm surprised on how well French drive, when I experienced the worst case of tailgating ever: this Frenchmen came literally - I mean, literally - at centimeters from my car's back. Had I touch the brake, or even just leave the accelerator pedal, we would end up crashing. So no good vote for Frenchmen, due to this one moron.
- Austrian. They drive "German style" but worse. Maybe they're frustrated by their ridiculously low speed limits and tend to discharge their frustration abroad.
- Swiss. Worst of all. They run, they run, they run like there's no tomorrow.
-Polish, Romanians, Czechs. Quite good overall.
- Italians, Spanish, others. Too few to have statistical relevance.

About the motorways, I only know directly 4 countries, so I'm gonna choose over these four.
I like Italian motorways better:the grid is not very extended so queues are frequent, but quality of the pavement is generally excellent, and so are aligments, curves and slopes
In second position, Germany. The grid is huge, but the pavement is usually bad. I like the connections between different motorways, but I don't like the exits. They're free, and this is good, but slopes are too high.
Third, Swiss. I don't like very much the classification of "motorway" for A13, which is at best a good country road, but the others are well mantained and nice to drive.
Fourth, Austrian. Bad pavement, low speed limits, bad maintenance (this winter I didn't see a single snowplough, even with blizzards on). Their Brennerautobahn is no match for the Italian counterpart.

My
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #27
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

When you mean low speed limits on Austrian autobahn, you mean 100 km/h stretches?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #28
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
-Polish, Romanians, Czechs. Quite good overall.
Thank you Romanians drive quite well, but only after passing the border. They have a high fewar of very high fines in western europe, so they drive like angels. But this is not valid when they drive in their own country...

Anyway, one of the motorways I love most is A23 in Italy (just go with Google Street View on it ).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #29
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
When you mean low speed limits on Austrian autobahn, you mean 100 km/h stretches?
Most annoying are 60 km/h limits during road works (sometimes it's justified, but yesterday I passed through a work zone with A) nobody at work, B) full lane width was available and C) a full shoulder was available as well). Another annoying feature are the 80 km/h speed limits in tunnels. There's really no need for that, especially in newer tunnels, where 100 would be perfectly comfortable. Some tunnels could even have a 120 km/h speed limit if they have a continuous shoulder. The Czech Republic has the same issue by the way.
Old August 27th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #30
bogdymol
bogdymod

A23-Italy dosen't have different speed limits in the tunnels
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #31
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

What annoys me in Austria on the A12 in Tirol is the IG-L 100 km/h limits. At times it's activated due to the enviroment. Such a drag if you're traveling from Innsbruck to Kufstein.

Last edited by Road_UK; August 27th, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #32
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Yes, of course. The Inntalautobahn east of Innsbruck is almost entirely 100 km/h-limited. It makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Thank you Romanians drive quite well, but only after passing the border. They have a high fewar of very high fines in western europe, so they drive like angels. But this is not valid when they drive in their own country...
I suspected this as well, Italians also seem lambs abroad and devils in Italy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
A23-Italy dosen't have different speed limits in the tunnels
In Italy no motorway tunnel has different speed limit, as far as I recall. Not even the 10-km Gran Sasso one.
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #33
Belgrader

Likes (Received): 407

I would say Spain, Germany and Slovenia (although Slovenian motorway network is not big, but it's very good, and very well maintained).
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #34
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

I don't like the signs in Spain. I think the signs at the motorways in Spain are awful.

But I like the motorways in Germany. Very good motorway network and very good signs. I think most Germans driving quite good too, a little bit aggressive but good. Slovenia has good motorways too.

Another I like is Luxembourg. A small country but good motorways.

And I like the UK. I think they are very good. And I think the signs in the UK is good too.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #35
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
What annoys me in Austria on the A12 in Tirol is the IG-L 100 km/h limits. At times it's activated due to the enviroment. Such a drag if you're traveling from Innsbruck to Kufstein.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-100_2073a.JPG
I saw that on A10 as well. What does that mean?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #36
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

"Immissionsschutzgesetz-Luft" (Air Pollution Control Act)
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #37
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:

In Italy no motorway tunnel has different speed limit, as far as I recall. Not even the 10-km Gran Sasso one.
The first 4 or 5 tunnels coming out of the Mont Blanc heading towards Turin are limited to resp. 80 and 100 km/h.
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #38
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

That's odd, partly because they are new (built between 2000 and 2007).
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #39
Road_UK
BANNED

I never take any notice of these limits, nor does anybody else. Not even the Polizia Stradale seem to care.
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #40
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
"Immissionsschutzgesetz-Luft" (Air Pollution Control Act)
Populist politics. The reduced concentrations are within the margin of error. They did an (police-enforced) trial with this in the Netherlands, lowering the speed limit from 120 to 80 km/h. The emissions from road traffic were lowered by 4,4 µg/m³ for NOx and 0,6 µg/m³ for PM10 (the concentration limits for these pollutants are 40,0 µg/m³). The actual concentrations of those pollutants reduced far less than this, as traffic is only one emission source of all pollutants in a certain region.

Politicians often seem to forget the difference between road traffic emissions and concentrations of pollutants. They are not the same. Emissions add to the concentration, but 10% less emissions is by far not the same as 10% less concentration.