daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #41
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

Sorry I ask too much, but two questions:
1.Which stretches are 130 km/h?
2.Are the police strict on enforcing the 100 km/h stretches?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #42
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

The entire A12 with exception of the stretch through Innsbruck and some tunnels are 130. But at times, especially at weekends when there is high volumes of traffic they reduce these limits to 100 to reduce emission. That is called IG-L. These speed reductions always come when I'm in a hurry. Sometimes these limits apply all the way from Kufstein to Innsbruck, at other times from Kufstein to exit Zillertal only. At night speedlimits is 110 at all times to reduce noise.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #43
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Are you sure Road_UK? Every time I drove the A12 I found 100 almost all the way from Innsbruck to Kufstein, no matter when (on weekdays, on weekends with no one on the road...) I thought it was a permanent limit there.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #44
Road_UK
BANNED

I'm sure, I live near there. I think you were just unlucky, 130 is permitted when the IG-L isn't on. It also depends on the weather I guess.
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #45
Angelos

Likes (Received): 447

Everything posted above is personal experience.

Definitely France. Excellent pavement, congestion-free, nature and good drivers which sometimse want to have some fun which i like it a lot.

Second comes Germany, they tend to follow the speedlimits but whenever you see the Godsign which indicates NO LIMIT everyone pushes the pedal to the metal :P I remember once a opel corsa opc tried to race us but we didnt. Anyway the feeling you get on the autobahns is unique! its like driving on Nurbuering, Audis, Porches, BMWs and whenever is legal they tend to go as fast as 200 km/h which many Germans do.

3rd position : Italians and Greeks, exatcly the same type of driving, careless , tailgating, no obeying speed limit at all, everyone tries to race you but that makes a hell of driving experience dangerous it may be... but fun!

4rth: Dutch Congested,e everyone drives like a granny, everyone follows the rules, speed cameras everywhere, no bendy motorways - roads too booooring

5th: UK, Every Motorway is congested unless you go to Scotland :P I was living in London for 2 years where i had a very baaaaaaaad experience with the roads there. Just look the Motorway network of London and Paris its day and night.
Angelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #46
gmacruyff

Likes (Received): 1416

For scenery,you cant beat Norway.Go from Bergen to Molde to Trondheim.Then,the next day from Trondheim,south towards Oslo...WORLD CLASS.Plus the roads are never busy(expect goiong in to Oslo).
gmacruyff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #47
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Are you sure Road_UK? Every time I drove the A12 I found 100 almost all the way from Innsbruck to Kufstein, no matter when (on weekdays, on weekends with no one on the road...) I thought it was a permanent limit there.
the same goes for the stretch near Salzburg A10. every time I drive there, there's a IG-L speedlimit. Am I always unlucky too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
5th: UK, Every Motorway is congested unless you go to Scotland :P I was living in London for 2 years where i had a very baaaaaaaad experience with the roads there. Just look the Motorway network of London and Paris its day and night.
Paris isn't perfect either. There is a permanent congestion on some sections of A86 and there are quite a few missing links. One of major problems in Paris are also roadworks. they are present all the time, and they are usually the main cause for congestions.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #48
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
The entire A12 with exception of the stretch through Innsbruck and some tunnels are 130. But at times, especially at weekends when there is high volumes of traffic they reduce these limits to 100 to reduce emission. That is called IG-L. These speed reductions always come when I'm in a hurry. Sometimes these limits apply all the way from Kufstein to Innsbruck, at other times from Kufstein to exit Zillertal only. At night speedlimits is 110 at all times to reduce noise.
That's 'cause they know your schedule and are trying to annoy you.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #49
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1317

Crossed both france, Italy and Germany by car a couple of times (france more than 20 time actually...)
Think that French roads are the best by far. Yes you pay tol, but for that you get perfect uniform road /
city / km signs, good asphalt, nice resting places, well lighted wide lanes and so on.

Germany is quite good too, but the "suggested max speed" makes you need to look in the rearview mirror
as much as the road in front of you. (my peugeot doesnt do 250 that well )

Italy would be nice if there weren't any Italian people driving overthere, everybody is using their phone in
some way instead of paying attention to the road :P

I'm from the Netherlands and need to cross Belgium for most of my European trips. Yes, the Belgian roads...

As for our roads, they're great, but crowded. And trafic rules are too strict to actually enjoy driving...

Last edited by seb.nl; August 27th, 2011 at 10:48 PM.
seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #50
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
That's 'cause they know your schedule and are trying to annoy you.
That's right. By the way, G, you will always get away doing 110 when IG-L 100 is lit. Drive any faster then that, and radar and unmarked police cars will get you, and when they do it's on the spot fines even for local Austrians. When limits are 130 it's ok to do 140.
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #51
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

^many Austrians drive like that.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #52
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
That's right. By the way, G, you will always get away doing 110 when IG-L 100 is lit. Drive any faster then that, and radar and unmarked police cars will get you, and when they do it's on the spot fines even for local Austrians. When limits are 130 it's ok to do 140.
So I have been lucky... there's no way I did 100. Ever.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #53
Road_UK
BANNED

Yes, and many drive dead slow. Austrians are as diverse as Europeans.
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #54
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
So I have been lucky... there's no way I did 100. Ever.
I normally don't.
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #55
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

Any chance of IG-L being provoked in the near future?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #56
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

I haven't driven on all EU motorways (never been to Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic and some other locations) but Germany must take the cake here from what I have seen and driven on.

- no tolls, total freedom to drive as much as you want, wherever you want (this is the reason I wouldn't vote for France)
- not too busy (some Autobahns can be pretty empty in places)
- liberal attitude to speed limits
- disciplined drivers

I just feel safer and more comfortable while driving in Germany despite driving considerably faster than elsewhere.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #57
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

I think this thread is unfair to the countries who have no transit traffic due to location of the country such as the Great Britain, Ireland, Iceland and etc.... Hungary in my opinion has the best motorways I have ever seen. I know I voted for Albania but that was purerly on the scenery you get whilst you travel towards Kosovo.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #58
Road_UK
BANNED

I don't understand where this myth is coming from that Germans are disclipined drivers. They're not. At least someone on this thread tried to contradict me by stating that he/she watched plenty of youtube video's of German autobahns.
I'm delighted to find that many share my opinion that France is -in fact- the best country to drive in. I even think it comes out as the winner...
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #59
bogdymol
bogdymod

I was on French motorways only in Paris region and driving in that area is definately not the best experience But I can't say anything about rest of France because I haven't been there...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #60
Angelos

Likes (Received): 447

[QUOTE
Paris isn't perfect either. There is a permanent congestion on some sections of A86 and there are quite a few missing links. One of major problems in Paris are also roadworks. they are present all the time, and they are usually the main cause for congestions.[/QUOTE]

London has far worst motorway network than paris, and i have seen that with my own eyes.I remember once when i was returning from Paris driving towards home on a Sunday night i was driving at the M25 Anticlockwise near junction 20 where they had roadwoarks and i was caught in 10 minute delay in 23:30 in the night :S

Yes both are congested but at least in Paris you have more options than London where they have only M25. The motorway network for such a large metropolis and economic center imo is ridiculous
Angelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote