daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 28th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #61
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I was on French motorways only in Paris region and driving in that area is definately not the best experience But I can't say anything about rest of France because I haven't been there...
It's full of Péage booths, so I won't vote for France.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #62
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Personally, I vote for Germany. It's the matter of driving freedom you are granted in this country whilst knowing that any illegal actions might be strictly punished.

I've driven in France as well, I agree that motorways are of good quality, people drive good, but you are still limited to toll booths and speed limits on long trips...
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #63
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
It's full of Péage booths, so I won't vote for France.
I don't remember any toll booths in Paris. I think that driving there is for free, but still, the traffic was pretty bad most of the time.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #64
RokasLT

Likes (Received): 1300

Germany - autobans
RokasLT está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #65
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Germany is above average imo. first of all - roadworks. roadworks roadworks roadworks. everywhere and always. asphalt is also not the best. for instance Italian motorways have generally much better quality of asphalt. great thing in Germany are speed limits. not that "god rule" how some call it, i am not fan of that at all. i am talking about those 120, 100, 80 speed limits, and dynamic signalization. i have never seen wiser use of it, and wiser placed speed limit signs. where you see 100 km/h at autobahn, you really feel like you shouldn't drive faster there.
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #66
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Funny, I had the opposite impression. At the end of A9 towards Munich, there's a 10 km stretch with 120-100-80-60 signs. I (and everyone around me) drive 110+ when there's the 80 limit, because it's a 3-laned straight stretch. Ditto for the 100 stretch: you cannot really go 100 when there are 5 straight lanes, that's more dangerous than going fast.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #67
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacruyff View Post
For scenery,you cant beat Norway.Go from Bergen to Molde to Trondheim.Then,the next day from Trondheim,south towards Oslo...WORLD CLASS.Plus the roads are never busy(expect goiong in to Oslo).
The scenery is world class but the roads are third world, certainly the worst in Europe. The roads are busy that's the problem. In some places on the Bergen Molde route the road is so narrow oncoming trucks have to slow down and in some instances stop.

Of the European countries I've driven in Croatia is the best, the roads are excellent, traffic flow is good, drivers are fine. Next would be Switzerland, followed by Germany, Denmark, Austria, Sweden, UK. Poland is near the bottom.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #68
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I don't understand where this myth is coming from that Germans are disclipined drivers. They're not. At least someone on this thread tried to contradict me by stating that he/she watched plenty of youtube video's of German autobahns.
I'm delighted to find that many share my opinion that France is -in fact- the best country to drive in. I even think it comes out as the winner...
From my personal experience German drivers are certainly among the most disciplined. You have to be disciplined on a 2+2 Autobahn once driving at 130km/h and occasionally have incoming speed monsters comig at 200km/h+ from behind because otherwise you may be dead. No messing around lanes as often happens elsewhere (e.g. UK where drivers are generally good and polite but often act inappropriately on the motorways).
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #69
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Germans have no idea about how to drive correctly. When they run 200+ they always brake at the last moment, and they don't know how to behave at zipper merging (always merging at the last moment, instead of at the first possibility)
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #70
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Yeah Reißverschluss is indeed something the Germans are not good at (as most Europeans). The idea of merging late is in principle not bad, because it utilizes all road capacity. However, people often don't make space, which means people are going to a full stop at the end of the merge, which exacerbates traffic congestion.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #71
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Germans have no idea about how to drive correctly. When they run 200+ they always brake at the last moment, and they don't know how to behave at zipper merging (always merging at the last moment, instead of at the first possibility)
Mind you I only write this from my personal experience and relative to other countries I have driven in (which includes most of Western Europe). Maybe I got a wrong impression over those times I was driving there (mostly in Rhein-Ruhr, Hessen and Bavaria).
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #72
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Of course Pansori, we all here talk about our personal experiences. I drove all over Bavaria, big part of Baden-Württemberg and occasionally Saxony, Brandenburg and Thuringia. Before movin to Germany I though Germans were disciplined and followed rules to the letter. After 30 thousand km, I can say truth is quite different. Not tragic though, but... different.
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #73
Pansori
planquadrat

It would be interesting to know which European drivers are more disciplined though.
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #74
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Maybe Danish drivers? From what I've heard British drivers are not particularly disciplined, but they are courteous.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #75
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Believe it or not: the French. Chirac decided to declare war on dangerous driving, and the result: speed obeying lane disciplined Frenchmen. There are exceptions ofcourse, especially around the big cities, but the French are certainly more disciplinned and behaved then the Germans. Speeders in France: the Brits, Dutch and Belgians.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #76
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Maybe Danish drivers? From what I've heard British drivers are not particularly disciplined, but they are courteous.
I don't like the way the Danish drive. A bit the same as the Swiss: no knowledge on how to operate an automobile.
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #77
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Believe it or not: the French. Chirac decided to declare war on dangerous driving, and the result: speed obeying lane disciplined Frenchmen. There are exceptions ofcourse, especially around the big cities, but the French are certainly more disciplinned and behaved then the Germans. Speeders in France: the Brits, Dutch and Belgians.
That is indeed weird because driving and especially parking culture in French cities (Paris and Marseilles where I have mainly been) was beyond atrocious. In some instances perhaps not better than in Bangladesh. I would assume their behavior changes on the Autoroute? Anyhow, I'm not sure if speeding is what I would necessarily associate with lack of discipline. The primary issue on the motorway is using the road efficiently and not blocking the fast lane as well as acting properly before exits and when joining the motorway.
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #78
Road_UK
BANNED

I did say exceptions around big cities. Also said they got good lane discipline. Out of my profession, France is my favourite country to drive in.
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #79
katia72

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiRob View Post
The scenery is world class but the roads are third world, certainly the worst in Europe. The roads are busy that's the problem. In some places on the Bergen Molde route the road is so narrow oncoming trucks have to slow down and in some instances stop.

Of the European countries I've driven in Croatia is the best, the roads are excellent, traffic flow is good, drivers are fine. Next would be Switzerland, followed by Germany, Denmark, Austria, Sweden, UK. Poland is near the bottom.

Worst is to drive in Norway ... bad roads and slow traffic and too expensive
katia72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #80
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Funny, I had the opposite impression. At the end of A9 towards Munich, there's a 10 km stretch with 120-100-80-60 signs. I (and everyone around me) drive 110+ when there's the 80 limit, because it's a 3-laned straight stretch. Ditto for the 100 stretch: you cannot really go 100 when there are 5 straight lanes, that's more dangerous than going fast.
i haven't much experience in driving in Germany, but that is my general impression. on the other hand i have driven much around Italy. i actually don't pay too much attention on speed limits there (except general)
the worst country regarding speed limits is Croatia definitely. those signs are placed as children have been playing with them. i often wonder did an ingineur who has decided to place some stupid speed limit sign ever driven on that stretch?! and when there are road works on motorway, they often put 60 km/h without any reasons.