daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2011, 08:46 PM   #141
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Now, now. Play nice, boys.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:51 PM   #142
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It's all my fault! Boohoohoo!
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:50 PM   #143
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeiush View Post
Last month I drove from Dresden to Hamburg and it was awful - there are many speed restrictions some as low as 90 km/h, the road was under repairs, bad drivers, bad signage (I missed some exits because of that). So the German Autobahns are far from being the best in Europe.
Even if all Autobahns had work, the worst was my trip between Bremen and Hamburg.
We hardly could run at more than 100km/h and there were many sections with a limit speed of 60km/h.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:45 AM   #144
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeiush View Post
best: France, Spain and Hungary (it has the best signage in Europe )
Strange that some people find the Hungarian signage great, while others list it among the worst
BND está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:09 AM   #145
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Best:

1- portuguese (toll motorways aka brisa)
2- german (3x2 autobahns)
3- hungary

Worst:

1- austrian
2- spanish
3- german (2x2)

Just my 2 cents.

Brisa motorways:

"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:16 AM   #146
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
Best:
2- german (3x2 autobahns)

Worst:
3- german (2x2)
You can't have seen too many german motorways then. The width of a road is no indication of quality. Neither in Germany nor anywhere else. Some of the best parts of the german motorway network are 4 lanes wide (A 4 Köln - Olpe) while some 6 lane stretches are rather dreadful (A 7 Kassel - Kirchheim).
Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:00 AM   #147
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I don't know. There was an awful lot of left-lane hogging when I was in Cincinnati a month or so ago. I know it's risky to generalize from one visit but it was really striking. I'm thinking in particular of the east side of 275.

Also, it should be noted that using a cell phone while driving is being made illegal in more and more places.
I actually live on the east side of I-275 and use it to go to work every day. I agree that there are too many dumb drivers doing 65 mph or less in the left lane. They will usually move, but you have to wait 10-60 seconds until their brain starts to think, so I normally don't even wait and pass them on the right.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #148
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
You can't have seen too many german motorways then. The width of a road is no indication of quality. Neither in Germany nor anywhere else. Some of the best parts of the german motorway network are 4 lanes wide (A 4 Köln - Olpe) while some 6 lane stretches are rather dreadful (A 7 Kassel - Kirchheim).
I agree! In here (Iran) Tehran Qom FW (FW 7) is very bumpy but it has 6 lanes but for exampleYasuj Sepidan road (Rd 67) has only 2 lanes not devided but it is very smooth!
Nima-Farid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #149
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
Worst:

2- spanish
I believe you have driven only on the 1st generation autovías, because more recent autovías are really really good.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #150
Man.Utd

Likes (Received): 42

The worst in my opinion is Austria too much tunnels, some ridiculous speed limit and also sometimes dangerous especially at night in mountains etc.. Not too much rest area and not to forget to pay the vignette and for who's already gone in Slovenia via Villach must pay Karawankenktunnel ... it's awful !

The best : German autobahns of course
Man.Utd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #151
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

From best to worst (motorways only ! Not expressways !) :
1) Germany: especially the A2, with a lot of sections without speed limit. I dislike very much the A4 though. But what I like most in Germany is the system itself: when you’ve got a speed limit (temporary or permanent), it’s never without any reason.
2) Poland: only worse than Germany because of the presence of speed limits on stretches where it is absurd. Driving 140km/h on the smooth & straight A2 is really boring - I drive much faster of course . Moreover, they're not free. BUT when there’s a lower speed limit like on the A4 between Krzyżowa and Wrocław 110 km/h, there’s always a reason)
3) Luxembourg
4) Spain (I especially love the sharp curves in the Basque country & between Zaragoza and Madrid You could hardly get annoyed, even abiding by the 120 speed limit )
5) The United Kingdom: wide motorways. The only I dislike is the M25 because of the (fake or real) speed cameras everywhere. M20, M2 & M1 were quite nice to drive (although sometimes, the hard shoulder wasn’t really big). The asphalt is not of a great quality, but at least you can drive more relaxed than in my country, France (not so many speed traps)
6) The Czech Republic: nice motorways, but a bit of police.
7) France: nice motorways, but police & gendarmerie with speed traps everywhere, which makes it impossible to drive relaxed & fully concentrated on the motorway itself. Near bigger cities no lane discipline & quite aggressive people. And VERY expensive
8) Slovakia: (police with speed traps or controlling anything else everywhere. Same problem as in France, but with shorter sections)
9) The Netherlands - quite nice motorways, but a 120km/h limit with 3 km/h tolerance. Horrible
10) Belgium - because of the lack of maintenance of the asphalt & of the fact they turned off their lights during the night & there's almost no reflective marking. Also the regionalistic roadsigns, that reflect Belgian internal linguistic issues instead of helping travelers. Pity because apart of that, I drive far more relaxed on Belgian motorways than on French or Dutch ones.

I didn't count these countries, although I’ve been there:
- Finland (haven't been there since 2003. The motorways were nice, but the driving was quite boring. 120km/h with almost no people between Helsinki & Lahti. More crowded between Porvoo and Helsinki),
- Lithuania (haven't driven there since 2004 & heard there were some significant changes, that would place this country a bit better nowadays in my ranking At the time you had a lot of very dangerous U-turns & a lot of police, which was necessary here though – under these circumstances, the 130km/h was more than enough.),
- Ukraine (the only motorway section I've been on is Kyiv-Boryspil' - very nice, but too short to tell)
- Austria & Italy (didn't drive there. Only been a passenger)
- Hungary (haven’t tried Magyar autopalyák yet Only roads)
- Andorra, Latvia, Estonia, Monaco (lack of real motorways)

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Last edited by GROBIN; December 19th, 2011 at 11:27 PM.
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #152
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

When it comes to motorway driving, Norway is no fun at all. The speed limits are too low (80-100 kph), but it doesn't help that a considerable percentage still do 120-130 (generally unchecked, btw, the motorways aren't particular highway police territory) and a similar percentage do 80 or 90. This cause quite a few interesting situations, particularly when combined with lack of lane discipline and tailgating. Also, some sections are busier than you'd expect. Altogether, not a very pleasant driving experience. Turn off the motorways, though, and things improve somewhat. The roads aren't particularly good, of course, but drivers behave more according to road quality. Thus, as long as you don't insist on serious speeding or expect to overtake slower-moving traffic everywhere, you're in for a decent drive.

Other motorways? I like the German ones in a proper car, France's and Spain's are great, I like the British, Danish and Dutch as well. I think Austrian are a bit of a hassle, but that might just be because I've only driven the busy 2x2 ones. Belgian are so and so, Swedish and Greek generally good.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:23 AM   #153
alexQ

Likes (Received): 6

For me the best ones:
1 Italy-impecable asphalt quality on the toll motorways,very nice markings on the road and good signage in my opinion,nice viaducts and tunnels and also nice parkings.
2 France -the best parkings i've ever seen ,very nicely maintained green spaces,good asphalt quality but rather bad signage
3 Croatia - breathtaking views,nice tunnels and viaducts and overall good quality asphalt
The "not so good ones":
Slovakia-only driven on the stretch that goes from HU border to CZ border
Czech Republic between Brno and Prague
Serbia
Bulgaria
Macedonia( the worst)
alexQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #154
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

The best country to drive on motorways, in my opinion, are:

1) France - good pavement quality, reasonable speed limit, relaxed driving style, excellent rest stops. The drawback is tolls and somewhat clumsy signage.
2) Germany - good pavement quality, reasonable/absence of speed limit, well-disciplined and efficient driving style, very clear signage. Rest stops, however, suck big time.

I really enjoyed driving on French autoroutes - people don't race each other, and it does not seem like everybody is trying to make for some important event on-time. German driving style is a bit too assertive for me. At the same time, neither country has the total lack of discipline that the USA does.
Old December 20th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #155
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
The best country to drive on motorways, in my opinion, are:

1) France - good pavement quality, reasonable speed limit, relaxed driving style, excellent rest stops. The drawback is tolls and somewhat clumsy signage.
2) Germany - good pavement quality, reasonable/absence of speed limit, well-disciplined and efficient driving style, very clear signage. Rest stops, however, suck big time.

I really enjoyed driving on French autoroutes - people don't race each other, and it does not seem like everybody is trying to make for some important event on-time. German driving style is a bit too assertive for me. At the same time, neither country has the total lack of discipline that the USA does.
You're right to point out the good rest stops in France (but very expensive) ! On the Polish A2 and recently on A4, they're very nice too ! Especially if you've got kids - you have playgrounds for them

In Germany and Belgium, what I like in those rest areas: less expensive than in France (especially in Eastern Germany - the Cottbus region). But the Dutch areas - although they're clean - suck big time: too close to the motorway !

The most "folkloristic" rest areas I've been to were in Spain, on the autovías A-23 and A-2 between Huesca and Madrid (and one on the Polish A4 not far from Legnica) but at least the food was very good and cheap (whereas in France it's expensive and the quality can vary a lot). You must be VERY careful on French rest areas without any cameras (that is: no restaurant & no gas station). Especially at night.

I haven't really tried other European countries' rest areas (being in only one in each country doesn't count )

P.S.: I drove in the US over 2 years ago, in Texas. Driving there is APALLINGLY boring. & if you drive an automatic car, it's even worse...

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
Old December 20th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #156
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexQ View Post
The "not so good ones":
Slovakia-only driven on the stretch that goes from HU border to CZ border
Czech Republic between Brno and Prague
These two motorways are the worst ones in both countries, you were lucky tho.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #157
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Now that I've driven in Spain too (5000 km in 12 days) I think there are really 2 souls in its roads. There are some magnificent stretches, like the A-92 (excellent road in an excellent landscape, and absolutely empty); on the other hand there are some bad jokes like the A-4 between Bailèn and Manzanares. It is probably the worst motorway I've ever seen.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #158
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
These two motorways are the worst ones in both countries, you were lucky tho.
How do you regard D1 Prešov - Košice ?

Old December 20th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #159
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

I haven't been there for many years as I usually don't travel to the Eastern part of the country but I think that on Slovak SSC guys from Kosice mentioned it's quite alright now, as I remember it was quite horrible some 5 years ago (last time I went to Košice by car). However also D2 Bratislava - CZ border got much better as it used to be.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 01:45 AM   #160
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

I think the motorways are worse in serbia in general than in FYROM.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote