daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old August 27th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #1
aek-94

Likes (Received): 3

Smile Media in the Liverpool City Region | Film, Television, Radio, Print etc.

I know there's already a thread in the Beacon called 'Liverpool in the media', which is about how Liverpool and Merseyside are shown and portrayed on and by the media; but this thread is about media news and developments within the Liverpool City Region. With the government plans for local television stations etc I thought this thread would be a good idea.

Last edited by aek-94; August 27th, 2011 at 11:11 PM.
aek-94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 27th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #2
Medici
Beppo

Likes (Received): 2

Interesting thread, I have noticed in the past that in the Manchester forum there is a thread media in Manchester whereas in the Liverpool forum a thread entitled Liverpool in the media.
Medici no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #3
aek-94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medici View Post
Interesting thread, I have noticed in the past that in the Manchester forum there is a thread media in Manchester whereas in the Liverpool forum a thread entitled Liverpool in the media.
Yeah I know, I was just on the Manchester forum and thought that a similar thread would work well for the Liverpool forum. Plus it's distinguishable from the similar thread in the Beacon due to as I've said, I didn't want to just make a carbon copy of it, but when I was posting about plans for a local TV station for Liverpool it felt like it wasn't 'Liverpool in the media' rather 'Media in Liverpool'.
Old August 28th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #4
aek-94

There's been three expressions of interest to run the proposed local television station for Liverpool (including St Helens, Widnes, Wigan, and Wirral). Two of the companies who have expressed interest in running the service would like to run the station as part of a network with local opt-outs for the individual local stations; the other bidder 'Bay TV Liverpool' would like to operate a standalone service.*There's two 'Bay TV Liverpool' Limited's - one registered to Birkenhead, and the other to Liverpool.

Source - Expressions of Interest for Local TV Stations

Last edited by aek-94; August 28th, 2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old August 28th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #5
jets9

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by aek-94 View Post
There's been three expressions of interest to run the proposed local television station for Liverpool (including St Helens, Widnes, Wigan, and Wirral). Two of the companies who have expressed interest in running the service would like to run the station as part of a network with local opt-outs for the individual local stations; the other bidder 'Bay TV Liverpool' would like to operate a standalone service.*There's two 'Bay TV Liverpool' Limited's - one registered to Birkenhead, and the other to Liverpool.

Source - Expressions of Interest for Local TV Stations

Rather suspicious of the first two options, clearly an attempt to create a new national tv channel by the back door with local add ons to give the whole thing an air of respectablity. A sort of proto ITV/ Granada regional model but with the region part changed to 'city'.

The Bay TV group should be much more to the taste of SSC. I just hope that Jeremy Hunt is true to his word (and the coalitions) and will drive through a local agenda.

Will the money men take over or can they allow local enterprise/cash to drive this forward. After all, licence payers money is already being used to subsidise, set this up.

Time for a letter to Hunt I think. And I just wonder whether those thrusting types at lpool CC and Liverpool Vision are taking any proactive interest in any of this.

If they are, the Post and Echo will be the last to tell us as Trinity Mirror have no incentive to see their Bay presence and influence further diminished.
jets9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #6
aek-94

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets9 View Post
Rather suspicious of the first two options, clearly an attempt to create a new national tv channel by the back door with local add ons to give the whole thing an air of respectablity. A sort of proto ITV/ Granada regional model but with the region part changed to 'city'.
I think the idea for a national television network with opt-outs to local stations is copied off the network/affiliate model found in the United States and Canada. Certain rules are in place there so that a ITV1-like incident would not happen. The networking idea is simply to allow the local stations to compete with big budget programming found on the other national terrestrial channels. It would be hard for a local programme to compete against a programme like X Factor on ITV1.

Quote:
The Bay TV group should be much more to the taste of SSC. I just hope that Jeremy Hunt is true to his word (and the coalitions) and will drive through a local agenda.
I hope he does too, and I prefer the Bay TV option too, it's very connected to the 'Liverpool Bay Area' concept which some people on this forum champion. Although as I've said above a local station would need to work with other stations around the country or the region as it'd be difficult for them to compete for viewers for their programming when other more big budget programming is on. Various Ofcom consultations on the viability of local television in the UK have concluded that standalone stations could only truely work in London and Greater Manchester. Some people point to Channel M to say that's wrong but Channel M had problems like it's position in the EPG/TV Guide, plus GMG didn't really care about it.

Quote:
Will the money men take over or can they allow local enterprise/cash to drive this forward. After all, licence payers money is already being used to subsidise, set this up.

Time for a letter to Hunt I think. And I just wonder whether those thrusting types at lpool CC and Liverpool Vision are taking any proactive interest in any of this.
Compared to the local authorities and organisations in other parts of the country there has been no proactive interest in this project at all.

Quote:
If they are, the Post and Echo will be the last to tell us as Trinity Mirror have no incentive to see their Bay presence and influence further diminished.
Trinity Mirror North West are awful. They treat news from Clwyd in north Wales (Flintshire, Denbighshire, and Wrexham) like its from a different planet even though it's inside the Liverpool Bay Area, but they wouldn't think twice of including news from Manchester and the rest of the 'North West'. Plus, the Liverpool Echo especially has an obsession with 'Merseyside'. Even if a story just affected Liverpool they still refer to it as Merseyside news. Plus, they moved printed to a centralised base in Oldham. So yeah, I don't think that they have any intention whatsoever in expanding their Bay Area presence. They tried it once - with Channel One Liverpool, which was based on NY1 in New York but after the London station collapsed it followed pretty quickly.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Lin Glover

Likes (Received): 0

Local Tv in Liverpool

Just to set the record straight YourTV was not a supporter of the network spine idea which as you rightly say was modelled on the USA affiliate structure. We lobbied for a 'bottom up approach' which has now been adopted by the Government. However we totally agree that there needs to be considerable cooperation between the stations to all work towards a common goal --- namely throw out the old TV model, be viable and offer a truly local and completely modern service. We at YourTV hope to work with local partners such as Bay TV in order to make this possible.
Quote:
I think the idea for a national television network with opt-outs to local stations is copied off the network/affiliate model found in the United States and Canada. Certain rules are in place there so that a ITV1-like incident would not happen. The networking idea is simply to allow the local stations to compete with big budget programming found on the other national terrestrial channels. It would be hard for a local programme to compete against a programme like X Factor on ITV1.

I hope he does too, and I prefer the Bay TV option too, it's very connected to the 'Liverpool Bay Area' concept which some people on this forum champion. Although as I've said above a local station would need to work with other stations around the country or the region as it'd be difficult for them to compete for viewers for their programming when other more big budget programming is on. Various Ofcom consultations on the viability of local television in the UK have concluded that standalone stations could only truely work in London and Greater Manchester. Some people point to Channel M to say that's wrong but Channel M had problems like it's position in the EPG/TV Guide, plus GMG didn't really care about it.

Compared to the local authorities and organisations in other parts of the country there has been no proactive interest in this project at all.

Trinity Mirror North West are awful. They treat news from Clwyd in north Wales (Flintshire, Denbighshire, and Wrexham) like its from a different planet even though it's inside the Liverpool Bay Area, but they wouldn't think twice of including news from Manchester and the rest of the 'North West'. Plus, the Liverpool Echo especially has an obsession with 'Merseyside'. Even if a story just affected Liverpool they still refer to it as Merseyside news. Plus, they moved printed to a centralised base in Oldham. So yeah, I don't think that they have any intention whatsoever in expanding their Bay Area presence. They tried it once - with Channel One Liverpool, which was based on NY1 in New York but after the London station collapsed it followed pretty quickly.
Lin Glover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:06 PM   #8
aek-94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Glover View Post
Just to set the record straight YourTV was not a supporter of the network spine idea which as you rightly say was modelled on the USA affiliate structure. We lobbied for a 'bottom up approach' which has now been adopted by the Government. However we totally agree that there needs to be considerable cooperation between the stations to all work towards a common goal --- namely throw out the old TV model, be viable and offer a truly local and completely modern service. We at YourTV hope to work with local partners such as Bay TV in order to make this possible.
Thanks for the clarification

I just thought that with having a common branding across the four stations which I read YourTV was interested in, that you'd be in favour of networking across the stations, like the U.S. model.

I'm just wondering when you say 'old TV model', do you mean the current regional television services which we have?

I really hope Liverpool is one of the pioneer cities.
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #9
aek-94

Quote:
Joe Anderson wages war against Liverpool Echo and Daily Post
by Chris Bradley. Published Fri 02 Sep 2011 15:57, Last updated: 2011-09-02

Labour leader of the council, Cllr Joe Anderson

City Council leader Joe Anderson has waged war on the Liverpool Echo and Daily Post over leaked advice from Tony Blair's wife.

He has demanded a full council probe and banned Labour councillors and the press office from speaking to the newspapers.

A news story claimed the council did not follow top barrister Ms Booth's initial advice about the "conflict of interest" appointment of Liverpool Direct Limited boss David McElhinney to acting council chief executive.

Cllr Anderson claims "not all the facts" about an alleged second document, with differing advice from Ms Booth, were revealed.

The furious council leader insists Ms Booth's opinion to put Mr McElhinney on "gardening leave" to let commercial interests go "stale" changed because measures had already been taken by the council.

The two underfire newspapers, also blasted by Joe Anderson for their negative portrayal of the city, stand by their investigation and reports.
Read More - Click Liverpool
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #10
aek-94

Quote:
Juice FM to move into Liverpool One
by Tony McDonough, Liverpool Echo. Sep 12 2011

RADIO station Juice FM is moving into Liverpool One.

The organisation will relocate from its current home, in Fleet Street, to One Park West, as part of a £1.1m revamp.

Juice will not be taking any of its existing technical equipment to its new home overlooking Chavasse Park, but will instead install new kit.

Station director Graham Sareth said the aim was to be in One Park West by January.

He said: “This is part of our expansions plans. We have been in Fleet Street for 12 years now and we do love it, but we are now running out of space.

“This is a great opportunity to move to a really prestigious location in the city centre.”
Read More - Liverpool Echo
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #11
yoshef
I like beer.

Likes (Received): 360

Quote:
The two underfire newspapers, also blasted by Joe Anderson for their negative portrayal of the city, stand by their investigation and reports.

I like this bit!
yoshef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #12
aek-94

I don't think they're that bad.

IMO, it would be nice to have another newspaper not owned by Trinity Mirror, as it would give them motivation to improve their papers with the competition.
Old October 1st, 2011, 10:44 AM   #13
Nacho

Likes (Received): 48

I imagine the following has been seen on these boards before but it is worth a look at .In fact, the housing sitiation in Liverpool at that time was very well- documented on film .There is a wide range of interesting links .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq_Zkishh1Q
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 11:36 AM   #14
Rock Savage

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
I imagine the following has been seen on these boards before but it is worth a look at .In fact, the housing sitiation in Liverpool at that time was very well- documented on film .There is a wide range of interesting links .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq_Zkishh1Q
Some dreadful decisions were made but to be fair the scale of the problem was huge and nobody has ever solved the lack of jobs issue.

Unbelievable to hear the lady mention the lack of facilities, and then know that the problem was never addressed.
Rock Savage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #15
aek-94

Quote:
Will it still be Radio Merseyside without the Merseyside bit?
Its budget is slashed. Big names and a quarter of staff are set to go. Laura Brown wonders can it survive
Written by Laura Brown. Published about 2 hours ago.

PICTURE the scene. There are big changes planned at the BBC. The big boss says we need to save cash. The only way it's going to work is if similar stations are moulded together. Not throughout the day, just at different times. So instead of The Archers and the Afternoon Play, Book Club and special programmes up to the PM slot at five, Radio 4 is instead going to share output with Radio 2 and Radio 3 every afternoon.

OK, let's picture this scene instead. You're not a massive fan of national network news. You've grown up in the city, you've lived here your whole life. You want proper, local news. No obsession with a shooting in London, no rolling coverage of a Prime Minister from Pakistan visiting the UK Government. Stuff that's important and reflects the city and what it is about. Instead, you're told those programmes will be replaced with an all-England local radio show, coming from either Bristol, Newcastle, Birmingham or Manchester.
Read More
Old October 7th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #16
iamafreeman

Likes (Received): 74

aek-94

I don't know who the lady is that has written the article but if I may just make one correction? In the last sentence she states that Merseyside will have take programmes made in Bristol, Birmingham, Newcastle and
...................Manchester.

You may be assured there will be no programmes made in Manchester the BBC are in the process of leaving the city!
iamafreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #17
aek-94

Salford is a part of Manchester in all but name.
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #18
iamafreeman

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:

Salford is a part of Manchester in all but name.
Now that's an interesting comment.

I can assure you that M.C.C. fought very hard to keep the BBC as whether you think it is part of Manchester or not (in all but name) the council wouldn't agree.

I have also lost count of the number of times Liverpool posters have told us that Salford is NOT part of Manchester, although many of us would say as you have, that really it is!

I guess truth is you can't have it both ways.

But the fact is whilst Liverpool will still have a BBC presence Manchester will not.
iamafreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #19
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Turnip.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #20
golden66

Likes (Received): 52

This idiot, aek-94 ,is a Manc lover.

He believes Manc is bigger than L'pool. In reality they they are very similar in area and population.
He is considering going to a Manc Uni.
He thinks it's acceptable to call areas, such as, Salford,Trafford,Tameside etc. Manc.
He thinks L'pool has enough hotel rooms when it clearly hasn't. L'pool has 5000 rooms and needs at least 10000 plus to attract the largest conferences on a regular basis.
He's on the Manc forum regularly supporting Mancs with delusions of grandeur.
He defends offensive media press against Liverpool.

I'll forgive him a bit because of the naivety of youth.
golden66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
england, united kingdom