daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #21
SkyscraperSuperman

Likes (Received): 836

Sorry about the long break, I've still got plenty more photos to share with you all!

So...it's time to take a stroll to the other side of the Forbidden City, through the Imperial Garden.
It was first constructed in 1417, during the Ming Dynasty.

Unique rock formations sit together in harmony with the greenery of the garden. I must add that a lot of these rock formations have warning signs in front of them: "Perilous Hills, No Climbing Please". The Chinese certainly know how to exaggerate!

In amongst the ancient trees, a Taoist shrine stands to this day, providing a scenic backdrop to the greenery, and a place for people to shelter from the less pleasant aspects of the varied Beijing weather.

Some of the ancient statues are rather ambitiously placed, flanking the corners of buildings.

The variety of objects and colours in the Imperial Garden is very popular with the cameras of excited tourists.

Near the north end of the Imperial Garden, with one of the slightly more 'perilous' rock formations in the background.

Emerging from the Forbidden City's north gate, Jingshan Hill (translated into English as 'Coal Hill') rises 43 metres above the heads of the tourists.

And that's where I'm heading next!

Also a musician, climber, creative writer, diver and world traveller!

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/TheTitanAtlas

Flickr page (The_Titan_Atlas):
http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]
SkyscraperSuperman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #22
Bluemooncm78

Likes (Received): 8053

Thanks for the updates, great photos!
Bluemooncm78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #23
SkyscraperSuperman

Back after a long break to continue my journey! Next, we're off up Jingshan Hill/Coal Hill, the highest point in Beijing (assuming you're not on the upper floors of a skyscraper ).

Looking down on the North Gate of the Imperial Palace, which, as usual, is packed with tourists.

A view over the buildings of the Forbidden City, with Beijing's National Theatre ('The Egg') in the background.

The view looking north, towards the Drum/Bell Towers, and the Olympic Park in the far distance.

Looking southeast, showing the eastern half of the Forbidden City.

The view to the northwest with some of the surrounding mountains silhouetted against the grey sky.

Beijing's Central Business District, to the east of Jingshan Hill. Standout buildings include the 208m Jing Guang Centre, the 234m CCTV Headquarters, the 250m Park Tower at the Yintai Centre and the 330m China World Tower.

The China Central Television (CCTV) Broadcasting Tower, located beside the western section of the 3rd Ring Road, is the tallest structure in Beijing, with its massive spire taking its overall height to a very impressive 405m, giving it a dominating appearance on the skyline.

Old and new - the roof of one of the small shrines on Jingshan Hill, with a portion of Beijing's CBD behind.

Next time - I'm off to what is currently the highest accessible point in Beijing, 300 metres above the bustling city streets.

Follow me on Twitter:

Old November 9th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #24
SkyscraperSuperman

It's time to head upwards!

The 330m China World Tower looms above the city streets - the current pinnacle of Beijing's ever-growing Central Business District.

Standing right underneath it, the pinnacle of the building is invisible due to its sheer height and gradual taper.

Off up to the bar on the 80th floor for some booze and some views!

Taking in the view from the northeast corner of the building from 300m up. Beijing's CBD has expanded rapidly in the past few years, and the boom is set to continue for some time to come.

One of Beijing's most distinctive buildings, the 234m CCTV Headquarters, showing its massive overhang, sloping roof and cluster of satellite dishes on its lower section.

A zoomed shot of the top of building, showing its sloping roof and the helipad perched on top.

The 208m Jing Guang Centre was completed in 1990, and remains to this day as one of Beijing's tallest buildings.

Buildings that look tall from street level, such as this twin tower development next to the 3rd Ring Road, look minuscule from the dizzying heights of the China World Tower.

Follow me on Twitter:

Old November 9th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #25
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6908

Amazing views from up there. CCTV headquarters is quite possibly one of my favorite skyscrapers along with SWFC right now. It's just a different level from most other "good" projects.

Last edited by Pansori; November 9th, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #26
Student4life

Likes (Received): 43

Great pics ! Beijing looks great !
Student4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #27
SkyscraperSuperman

Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Amaing views from up there. CCTV headquarters is quite possibly one of my favorite skyscrapers along with SWFC right now. It's just a different level from most other "good" projects.
Yeah they're pretty amazing - although it's obviously better on a fully clear, smog-free day when you're able to fully appreciate the size of Beijing.
On the subject of SWFC, we might well be seeing that a bit later on.

Follow me on Twitter:

Old November 9th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #28
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Awesome pictures Thanks for sharing

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #29
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperSuperman View Post
On the subject of SWFC, we might well be seeing that a bit later on.
I'm talking complete projects of course. For the "a bit later on" if you mean the ST, if done as promised, it will be my new favorite without any doubt.
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #30
SkyscraperSuperman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I'm talking complete projects of course. For the "a bit later on" if you mean the ST, if done as promised, it will be my new favorite without any doubt.
Oh no, I meant later on in this thread - moving onto Shanghai once I'm done with the Beijing pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarhusforever View Post
Awesome pictures Thanks for sharing
Thank you! Plenty more to come.

Follow me on Twitter:

Old November 10th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #31
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

This thread is back!

Beijing does makes for a interesting case study, I really should visit it properly some time.
Old November 10th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #32
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Oh no, I meant later on in this thread - moving onto Shanghai once I'm done with the Beijing pictures.

I'll keep an eye on your thread and wait for the Shanghai part. I'm planning to make it to Shanghai some time next year so pictures and especially comments by a fellow traveler are of particular interest to me.
Old November 10th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #33
SkyscraperSuperman

OK, well I'll be sure to include even more detail in my comments when I move onto Shanghai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
This thread is back!

Beijing does makes for a interesting case study, I really should visit it properly some time.
Haha, I like your enthusiasm.
You should visit next summer when I'm there, then we can have an English person showing a Chinese person round a Chinese city.

I'll get the next part up tomorrow, but for now here's a few bonus shots of Beijing's CBD from ground level, showing its wide variety of architecture:

Follow me on Twitter:

Old November 11th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #34
SkyscraperSuperman

Here's the next part - it's time to head off to the Temple of Heaven!

Seen from a bridge over the main road, the park's main landmark, the 38m Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests, stands out on the hazy skyline.

Entertainers frequently appear at the open spaces within the park where a lot of people are likely to walk past. This guy was certainly skilled with a tennis racket!

Groups of people congregate to make music together, both for the entertainment of themselves and the general public. Unfortunately, although it's a lovely idea that brings people together, this lot really weren't very good...

The main north-south promenade down the central axis of the park (which is normally a lot busier) is 360 metres long, and is known as the Vermilion Steps Bridge. It connects the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests in the north and the Imperial Vault of Heaven in the south.

Members of the public are encouraged to wave these long strands of coloured cloth - if the person is skilled enough, it can be a rather pleasing display of colours flowing through the air in different shapes (S-shapes, 8-shapes and so on).

Near the south gate of the park lies the Circular Mound Altar. It was built in 1530 during the Ming Dynasty, for religious purposes - namely prayers (for rain in times of drought, for example) and sacrifices (most commonly in the form of a bull).

Round the circumferences of the Altar's three levels sit these stone pillars. Because the number 9 was the highest odd single-digit number, it was considered a powerful representation of 'yang' (in the sense of yin and yang, where even numbers represent yin, while odd numbers represent yang). Therefore, the number of pillars on each level of the Altar is a multiple of 9.

From the top of the Altar, looking towards the Imperial Vault of Heaven and the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests in the hazy distance.

The Imperial Vault of Heaven, surrounded by the circular 'Echo Wall', so-named because of its ability to transmit sounds over a distance. Tourists often try to converse with one another, standing a fair distance apart at different points along the wall.

Looking over the Echo Wall towards the Vermilion Steps Bridge.

Standing underneath the Imperial Vault of Heaven with the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests on the skyline.

Draconic head statues appear frequently throughout the park, emphasising China's close link with the creature.

More Temple of Heaven still to come.

Follow me on Twitter:

Old November 15th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #35
SkyscraperSuperman

A quick look inside the Imperial Vault of Heaven.

This section of the park with the Imperial Vault and the Echo Wall is generally one of the more popular areas to visit.

Like the canals in the centre of Venice, these quiet forest paths give visitors a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the park's main attractions, while still letting you appreciate the natural beauty of your surroundings.

A souvenir shop to the side of the Vermillion Steps Bridge (Danbiqiao, or the 'Sacred Way'), which often gets a large amount of custom due to the hordes of people passing down the walkway towards the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests at its northern end.

And, staying on that subject...

The centrepiece of the Temple of Heaven - the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests, 38m tall, 36m wide, and a famous Beijing landmark.

Heading up the stairs, looking up towards the 3 layers of eaves that form the building's roof, which symbolises the heavens and the earth.

Detailing on the building, showing the traditional Chinese architecture that has long been admired by the Chinese themselves, and the hordes of tourists which flock to the country every year.

The pinnacle of the building, 38m/125ft above the ground.

A look inside, showing some of the magnificent pillars that support the building. The red and gold posts (3 out of 4 are visible in the photo) represent the four seasons, and the red ones behind them (of which there are 12) represent the twelve months. The outer ring of pillars (of which there are also 12) represent the 12 Shichen, which was a means of keeping time in Chinese history. One Shichen was equal to two hours, therefore a full day was divided into 12 Shichens.

From the old to the new...it's off to the Olympic Park next!

Follow me on Twitter:

Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:50 PM   #36
Cabman
Do A Little Dance

Likes (Received): 14

Awesome thread.
The London Taxi in one of the earlier pics would've been a chinese built London Taxi. As it currently stands London Taxis are still built in the UK for the domestic market. For reasons of economics the rest of the world production is now built in China. I would imagine full production will shift to china at some point, with the Coventry factory becoming just an assembly plany.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:24 PM   #37
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

thanks for the great updates on this thread....
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #38
HKG

Likes (Received): 3499

Quote:
From the old to the new...it's off to the Olympic Park next!
Exellence photos!

Please continue to the Beijing's Olympic Park!
HKG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 07:12 PM   #39
ooi ch
PENANG-Malaysia

Likes (Received): 33

hi everyone, i am just wondering .do you all think beijing or shanghai is a greater city ??
ooi ch no está en línea   Reply With Quote