daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 31st, 2011, 09:50 PM   #41
LtBk
Registered User
 
LtBk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Greater Baltimore
Posts: 3,103
Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Few cars have significant mechanical problems nowadays, unless it's a factory error, and then they are usually recalled. However, Renault, and French cars in general, tend to have above average problems with the electrical components. Nowadays they don't fix that, but just insert a whole new unit, the cost of which is easily more than € 500,-.

That said, I am amazed by how often Americans change their motor oil. I change it every 20.000 - 25.000 kilometers but I've read about people who change it every 2,000 - 3,000 miles. I'd hate to put € 50 worth of oil in my car every month.
In other words, about average in problems. Lot of people still believe in changing oil every 3,000 miles crap.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2011, 10:48 PM   #42
Uppsala
Registered User
 
Uppsala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Uppsala, S, Europe
Posts: 654
Likes (Received): 53

In Sweden, many Volvo and Saab, of course. But otherwise, Mercedes, BMW, VW, Audi, Opel, Skoda, Citroen, Toyota, Peugeot, Fiat.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:05 AM   #43
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,801
Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
One time I missed the ferry and due to a deadline I had to keep I ended up driving round the Gulf of Bothnia.
What was your destination? Driving from Stockholm to Helsinki via Tornio adds 1600 extra kilometres. There is a ferry departure every 12 hours and usually there is free space. Therefore, the delay from missing the ferry seldom is more than 12 hours.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:28 AM   #44
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

My boss booked me on the 17:00 Silja Line from Stockholm to Helsinki, which I normally take, and in this case missed. I did phone up for a later departure to Turku, which was fully booked. Kappelskar: fully booked. My boss checked on Viking Line departures: fully booked. I know there are some other departures further north, but my office was closed, too much messing about and I'm not paying for a different crossing. I've got my fuel cards, so I just drove round. Remember, this was on a weekend in the high summer season. Going back I did make that ferry, and got compensated in gift vouchers to spend in onboard shops for not using the inbound ferry. My destination was Salo.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:33 AM   #45
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,801
Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
My boss booked me on the 17:00 Silja Line from Stockholm to Helsinki, which I normally take, and in this case missed. I did phone up for a later departure to Turku, which was fully booked. Kappelskar: fully booked. My boss checked on Viking Line departures: fully booked. I know there are some other departures further north, but my office was closed, too much messing about and I'm not paying for a different crossing. I've got my fuel cards, so I just drove round. Remember, this was on a weekend in the high summer season. Going back I did make that ferry, and got compensated in gift vouchers to spend in onboard shops for not using the inbound ferry. My destination was Salo.
Ok.

Quite often there is space available even if the ferries are fully booked, due to cancellations. I have seen cases where 20-30 cars have been waiting on the stand-by lane and finally boarding the ferry. Of course, you cannot trust that to happen.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:54 AM   #46
Angelos
Registered User
 
Angelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Athens of the north
Posts: 583
Likes (Received): 447

Greece july 2011 (in brackets its the sale of the period of january-july)


ΙΟΥΛΙΟΣ 2011

ΤΑ 50 ΠΡΩΤΑΜΟΝΤΕΛΑ

1. Opel Corsa 547 (3.767)

2. Nissan Micra 418 (2.189)

3. Hyundai i20 413 (1.234)

4. Toyota Yaris 413 (2.827)

5. VW Polo 395 (2.710)

6. Ford Fiesta 378 (2.365)

7. Opel Astra 377 (2.171)

8. Fiat Panda 293 (2.081)

9. Toyota Auris 284 (1.882)

10. Skoda Octavia 271 (1.494)

11. VW Golf 262 (1.353)

12. Hyundai i10 259 (1.318)

13. Mercedes A-Class 236 (566)

14. Toyota Aygo 203 (1.158)

15. Peugeot 107 188 (946)

16. Skoda Fabia 150 (987)

17. Nissan Qashqai 145 (826)

18. Fiat Grande Punto 143 (789)

19. Smart Fortwo 138 (996)

20. Fiat 500 133 (903)

21. Chevrolet Spark 132 (1.050)

22. Alfa Romeo Giulietta 130 (649)

23. Suzuki Swift 125 (837)

24. Seat Ibiza 125 (1.377)

25. Citroen C3 122 (938)

26. Kia Picanto 108 (462)

27. Opel Insignia 106 (819)

28. VW Tiguan 101 (690)

29. Seat Leon 96 (734)

30. VW Passat 94 (542)

31. Skoda Yeti 92 (528)

32. Toyota Avensis 91 (505)

33. Ford Ka 85 (374)

34. Peugeot 207 84 (669)

35. Mitsubishi ASX 84 (689)

36. Kia Ceed 83 (665)

37. Alfa Romeo MiTo 80 (458)

38. Dacia Duster 76 (378)

39. BMW X1 73 (312)

40. Audi A3 68 (449)

41. Nissan Juke 66 (653)

42. Ford Focus 64 (1.029)

43. Opel Meriva 61 (391)

44. Audi A4 60 (287)

45. Suzuki Alto 59 (358)

46. Renault Clio 56 (398)

47. Audi A1 55 (479)

48. Mercedes C-Class 55 (344)

49. Peugeot 308 55 (248)

50. Mini 3d & Clubman 52 (356)
Angelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:23 PM   #47
rohjoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hobart, TAS
Posts: 52
Likes (Received): 12

Toyota, Holden (GM) and Ford manufacture cars in Australia so that influences the mix, although only four vehicles
in the top ten are made here, Commodore, Falcon, Cruze and Camry.

Top 10 by model, 2010:

1.Holden Commodore – 45,956
2.Toyota Corolla – 41,632
3.Toyota HiLux – 39,896
4.Mazda3 – 39,003
5.Hyundai i30 – 29,772
6.Ford Falcon – 29,516
7.Holden Cruze – 28,334
8.Toyota Camry – 25,014
9.Mitsubishi Lancer – 23,076
10.Hyundai Getz – 21,547

Top 10 sales by brand:

1.Toyota – 214,718
2.Holden – 132,923
3.Ford – 95,284
4.Mazda – 84,777
5.Hyundai – 80,038
6.Nissan – 62,676
7.Mitsubishi – 62,496
8.Honda – 40,375
9.Subaru – 40,025
10.Volkswagen – 38,016

Last edited by rohjoe; September 1st, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
rohjoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:54 PM   #48
Suissetralia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 389
Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Renault cars are simply one of the least reliable cars, but they are also cheap
My last family purchased car is a Peugeot, and it hasn't had a single problem, same with the previous Nissan car, whereas the previous Opel and Ford we owned were both full of problems, specially the Ford...
Suissetralia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 06:58 PM   #49
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Few cars have significant mechanical problems nowadays, unless it's a factory error, and then they are usually recalled. However, Renault, and French cars in general, tend to have above average problems with the electrical components. Nowadays they don't fix that, but just insert a whole new unit, the cost of which is easily more than € 500,-.

That said, I am amazed by how often Americans change their motor oil. I change it every 20.000 - 25.000 kilometers but I've read about people who change it every 2,000 - 3,000 miles. I'd hate to put € 50 worth of oil in my car every month.
Lots of people recommend every 3,000 miles. (Including my mechanic, who once pointed to his own 20-odd-year-old car, which was a nice model although I forget what now, which he said he'd kept running for 300,000 by following such a policy. Of course, my mechanic would recommend every 3,000.) I'm skeptical, but what do I know? I've gone about 8,000 since my last oil change, am starting to feel guilty about it, and when I take it in will probably remove first the little reminder sticker they put in the windshield, so that they can't tell how long it's been.

Note to self: find out how long my brother - who's still driving a Jetta he bought in the late '90s, has had very little trouble with it, and is well past 300K, how often he changes his oil....
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:47 PM   #50
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,591
Likes (Received): 19382

Nearly no European would drive beyond 200,000 miles or 300.000 kilometers with their car, unless they don't have more than € 1000 to buy a newer car. If you drive 15.000 km per year it still takes 20 years to reach that. There are almost no 20+-year old cars on the roads nowadays.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; September 1st, 2011 at 09:21 PM.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:55 PM   #51
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,428
Likes (Received): 890

There are loads of 20 year old cars in Portugal
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:20 PM   #52
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Nearly no European would drive beyond 200,000 miles or 300.000 kilometers with their car, unless they don't have more than € 1000 to buy a newer car. If you drive 15.000 km per year it still takes 20 years to reach that. There are almost no 20-year old cars on the roads nowadays.
Well, my mechanic's car was a vintage Mercedes or something, so he probably wants to keep it running. (And he specializes in imports and has a good reputation here so I'd guess he can afford a new car.)
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:56 PM   #53
kreden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 2,555
Likes (Received): 589

All the mechanics I know recommend changing oil every 15,000 km as a general rule, although my car's manual says every 25,000 km is good enough.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:11 AM   #54
marobara
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kraków PL/Torino IT
Posts: 315
Likes (Received): 21

Best selling cars in Poland in 2010 and number sold:

1. Skoda Octavia - 18 335
2. Skoda Fabia - 12 706
3. Opel Astra - 11 635
4. Ford Focus - 11 289
5. VW Golf - 9 488
6. Fiat Punto – 9 349
7. Toyota Yaris – 9 114
8. Nissan Qashqai – 7 323
9. Fiat Panda – 6 915
10. Hyundai i30 – 6 901
11. Kia cee’d – 6 284
12. VW Polo – 6 284
13. VW Passat – 6 001
14. Ford Mondeo – 5 941
15. Renault Megane – 5 902
16. Opel Insignia – 5 863
17. Opel Corsa – 5 768
18. Toyota Avensis – 4 920
19. Toyota Auris – 4 786
20. Citroen Berlingo – 4 709
marobara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:12 AM   #55
Japinta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 169
Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Note to self: find out how long my brother - who's still driving a Jetta he bought in the late '90s, has had very little trouble with it, and is well past 300K, how often he changes his oil....

My car has done 390 000 km and it is in perfect condition. I change oil according to car manual - every 15 000 kilometres.
Japinta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:32 AM   #56
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó
 
BND's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Budapest
Posts: 2,099
Likes (Received): 277

This is the list from 2010 for Hungary:

1. Ford Focus 3395
2. VW Golf/Golf Plus 3049
3. Skoda Octavia 2954
4. Opel Astra (H és I) 2430
5. Skoda Fabia 1749
6. VW Polo 1700
7. Nissan Qashqai 1620
8. Seat Ibiza 1250
9. Ford Fiesta 972
9. Ford Transit 972
11. Renault Mégane 928
12. Renault Fluence 913
13. Ford Mondeo 888
14. Suzuki Swift 866
15. Opel Insignia 796

As you see the market for new cars has collapsed, since it has become difficult to take a loan for cars. The police has received 500 Ford Focus last year, that's why it is leading the list. Though Suzuki Swift is made in Hungary, it has become so expensive that it has lost it's leading position it had before the crysis.
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:20 AM   #57
Trilesy
Registered User
 
Trilesy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 116
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Lots of people recommend every 3,000 miles. (Including my mechanic, who once pointed to his own 20-odd-year-old car, which was a nice model although I forget what now, which he said he'd kept running for 300,000 by following such a policy. Of course, my mechanic would recommend every 3,000.) I'm skeptical, but what do I know? I've gone about 8,000 since my last oil change, am starting to feel guilty about it, and when I take it in will probably remove first the little reminder sticker they put in the windshield, so that they can't tell how long it's been.

Note to self: find out how long my brother - who's still driving a Jetta he bought in the late '90s, has had very little trouble with it, and is well past 300K, how often he changes his oil....
It mostly depends on what car you have. With the newer cars you don't have to change it very often. I change oil in my car every 6,000-7,000 miles (according to maintenance specs). It's an '06 model. But I do change oil every 3,000 miles on my old '95 Ford Escort just because that's what every oil change place would recommend.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:02 AM   #58
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,487
Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
However, Renault, and French cars in general, tend to have above average problems with the electrical components. Nowadays they don't fix that, but just insert a whole new unit, the cost of which is easily more than € 500,-.
Only problems I had with my Peugeot are electrical indeed. Blew too many lights (both reverse gear lamps and both front lamps) and also the windshield washing device broke. Fortunately I could change my lamps on my own, and regarding the windshield washing device, it was only a fuse and my garage replaced it at no cost.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:05 AM   #59
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Have we moved yet, G?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:15 AM   #60
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,487
Likes (Received): 2102

Yes, I'm in my new home in Brescia. Suffered minor thermal and cultural shocks, but I think I can recover. Little sad also, but living in Munich was a wonderful experience and I'll treasure that.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium