daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2016, 08:47 PM   #181
Sentilj

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Same as Ireland, they are radials from Dublin mainly. They connect only on a verrrry congested Dublin ring road.

However Ireland is _a lot_ smaller than Finland and the missing link from Cork to Limerick is less than 90km long.
There's only ca 50 km missing to connect Limerick to Cork via Mitchelstown, future M road could connect south of Mitchelstown to M8, but it would only serve transit to connect these cities, because it would run thru not very populated area.
Sentilj no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2016, 11:20 PM   #182
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentilj View Post
There's only ca 50 km missing to connect Limerick to Cork via Mitchelstown, future M road could connect south of Mitchelstown to M8, but it would only serve transit to connect these cities, because it would run thru not very populated area.
Protected area in the Galtee Mountains too.

Anyway if you did that 50km you would still need a motorway from Cork-Mallow anyway and would build 90km ish _either_ way.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 03:17 AM   #183
roofromoz
#pantherpride

Likes (Received): 231

There are 16 urban centres in Australia that currently have a population over 100,000:

Sydney
Melbourne
Brisbane
Perth
Adelaide
Gold Coast-Tweed Heads
Canberra-Queanbeyan
Newcastle
Central Coast
Wollongong
Sunshine Coast
Hobart
Townsville
Geelong
Cairns
Darwin

Out of those, Darwin would be the only one without a motorway (as such), although there are sections of the Stuart Highway that are limited access.

I think Cairns currently has a motorway under construction in the southern suburbs. Townsville has a southern ring road which has motorway conditions, with respect to grade separation, etc. Geelong is linked to Melbourne by way of the M1, and had a western ring road (freeway) that was fully completed in 2013.

The others have either motorways within or bypassing it with direct access.
Old January 21st, 2016, 09:31 AM   #184
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Darwin needn't have one. Too far away, too little traffic...
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 05:40 PM   #185
Nikodem
*JKL*

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikodem View Post
Let's make a list of the biggest cities (population wise) in each country without highway access (let's say 30 km range). Highways only, not expressways. Add information how big the city is and on what position in country ranking.

As for Poland the biggest city without highway access would be... Warsaw But soon, by 2012, A2 will be completed so next one would be 8th biggest city Bydgoszcz (356.177).

1 Warszawa...1.720 k......(A2)
2 Kraków..........756 k......A4
3 Łódź.............737 k......A2
4 Wrocław........632 k......A4,A8
5 Poznań..........551 k......A2
6 Gdańsk.........456 k......A1
7 Szczecin.......405 k......A6
8 Bydgoszcz.....356 k...... -
9 Lublin...........348 k...... -
10 Katowice... .306 k...... A1, A4
upday as for Dec2016:

1 Warszawa...1.720 k......A2
2 Kraków..........756 k......A4
3 Łódź.............737 k......A2, A1
4 Wrocław........632 k......A4,A8
5 Poznań..........551 k......A2
6 Gdańsk.........456 k......A1
7 Szczecin.......405 k......A6
8 Bydgoszcz.....356 k...... -
9 Lublin...........348 k...... -
10 Katowice... .306 k...... A1, A4

Not much has changed

11 Białystok......300 k..... -
12 Gdynia........250 k...... -
13 Częstochowa.230 k.... -
14 Radom..........210 k.... -
15 Sosnowiec....200 k..... A1, A4
16 Toruń..........200 k......A1
17 Kielce..........200 k...... -
18 Rzeszów.......185 k......A4
19 Gliwice.........180 k......A1, A4
20 Zabrze.........180 k......A1, A4
Nikodem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 02:09 AM   #186
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

haha

It's a bit unfair though... specifically considering Polish example of "expressway"
Many sections can't count of course, like S5 around Leszno
But S7 to Radom is full motorway by any international definition except the sign...

wojtekbp liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 07:15 PM   #187
The-E-Vid
Politically Incorrect

Likes (Received): 794

I'm thinking of lot of mexican cities but after looking at some of the cities posted in this thread on Google maps, I can see there's a lot of them with a freeway going thru or next to the towns.. and it seems they are not including the Metro areas of this cities when posting them, I mean, the freeway don't pass thru the official city limits but the city is still served by a freeway 'across the street' in the suburbs.. I'm confused by the terms motorway-freeway then..

Isn't the freeway a road where you can cross or go around an urban area with virtually no lights or stop signs?
The-E-Vid está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 07:39 PM   #188
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11806

Here's a list for Hungarian cities with population over 30k without motorway access in a 30-km-range:

Szolnok -> 72k
Kaposvár -> 63k
Sopron -> 61k
Békéscsaba -> 60k
Veszprém -> 60k (main road 8 is being upgraded to 2x2 expressway currently)
Zalaegerszeg -> 58k
Salgótarján -> 35k (main road 21 is being upgraded to 2x2 expressway currently)
Cegléd -> 35k
Ózd -> 34k
Pápa -> 31k
Esztergom -> 30k
Gyula -> 30k

Good news is that most of those cities should get a motor/expressway access latest until 2022. We'll see.

Zagor666, Autobahn-mann liked this post

Last edited by JackFrost; December 2nd, 2016 at 07:45 PM.
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 09:06 AM   #189
Latin l0cO
Back From Retirment

Likes (Received): 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
I'll agree that the Brownsville/McAllen/Pharr, TX area is the largest urbanized area in the contiguous USA with no full motorway connections to the outside World (there are several 2x2 expressways connecting it in several directions, though). OTOH, the I-69 complex will arrive there in a few years, eliminating that deficiency. Other places in the USA with no direct motorway connections to the outside World and no plans for any that I am aware of include Bend, OR and Walla Walla, WA. Also, even though it is not in a contiguous state, Anchorage, AK has no motorway connections to the outside World (I am discounting 'island' places like Honolulu, HI and San Juan, PR).

Mike

Well there's motorway access to Monterrey, not sure if that counts.
Old January 21st, 2017, 02:46 PM   #190
Maciek_CK
Great Scott!

Likes (Received): 1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciek_CK View Post
Poland (updated January 2016)
Poland (updated January 2017)

Nothing has really changed since last year. We have 923 cities now (+4), but the list below remains the same. Changes in bold.

List of the biggest cities without motorway access:
  • Bydgoszcz (8th biggest city)
  • Lublin (9th)
  • Białystok (11th)
  • Częstochowa (13th) - A1 bypass: under construcion; completion date: 2018/2019
  • Radom (14th)
  • Kielce (17th)

And just like last year and the year before, a list of the biggest cities without motorway or expressway access:
  • Bydgoszcz (8th) - S5 in design phase (all contracts signed)
  • Płock (30th) - decision was made to move S10 closer to the city, but we don't even know an approximate corridor
  • Wałbrzych (32th)
  • Koszalin (37th) - S6 west of the city: contracts signed, in design phase; the city bypass under construction; S6 east of the city in tender
  • Kalisz (38th)
  • Słupsk (41th) - the city has only a 1x2/2x2 bypass that has a second carriageway in tender; the rest of S6 (both west and east) in tender
  • Nowy Sącz (44th)
  • Jelenia Góra (45th)
  • Siedlce (47th)
Old January 23rd, 2017, 04:58 AM   #191
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

While the Interstate Highway system is remarkably comprehensive, I suspect that the largest city without any motorway access in the US is Fairbanks, AK (metro pop. 99,357). Alaska Interstates don't normally count as motorways; however, a motorway does link Anchorage and Wasilla, AK.

Outside of Alaska and Hawaii, however, I think just about every city with a population over 100k has been linked to the Interstates (State College, PA, was among the last to my knowledge.) The largest cities I can find lacking Interstate access are places like Bend, OR; Minot, ND; or (strangely enough) Ithaca, NY; all of which have a population of ~50,000.

However, if one wishes to include seasonal populations, then Ocean City, MD, with an annual population of just 7,000 but a peak population of 320k-345k, is almost certainly the largest motorway-deprived American city ... on Labor Day weekend.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 05:25 AM   #192
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
While the Interstate Highway system is remarkably comprehensive, I suspect that the largest city without any motorway access in the US is Fairbanks, AK (metro pop. 99,357). Alaska Interstates don't normally count as motorways; however, a motorway does link Anchorage and Wasilla, AK.

Outside of Alaska and Hawaii, however, I think just about every city with a population over 100k has been linked to the Interstates (State College, PA, was among the last to my knowledge.) The largest cities I can find lacking Interstate access are places like Bend, OR; Minot, ND; or (strangely enough) Ithaca, NY; all of which have a population of ~50,000.

However, if one wishes to include seasonal populations, then Ocean City, MD, with an annual population of just 7,000 but a peak population of 320k-345k, is almost certainly the largest motorway-deprived American city ... on Labor Day weekend.
Sorry, I must refute that and say San Angelo, TX is the largest US city not connected by an Interstate.

edit, sorry might have to refute myself, Athens, GA might be the largest US city not connected to an Interstate.

Last edited by Jschmuck; January 23rd, 2017 at 05:32 AM.
Jschmuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 12:14 PM   #193
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

AFAIK in the USA there are many motorways/freeways that aren't part of the Interstate system. So probably some cities that don't have Interstate connections have motorway/freeways connections anyway.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 03:52 PM   #194
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Fresno is not served by the Interstate system and has a population of 520,000. However, it does have a sizable freeway system, so in practice it doesn't matter except for the absence of the blue-red shields.

Athens, GA may be the largest city not connected to the freeway system, however it does have a freeway-like bypass. College Station, Texas could perhaps overtake Athens as the largest city not connected to the national freeway system. However College Station has Bryan as a neighboring city, combined both cities have a population of nearly 200,000.

The largest region not connected to the national freeway system is probably the Lower Rio Grande Valley in South Texas. This 4-county area has a population of 1.35 million.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Jschmuck liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 11:36 PM   #195
geocluj

Likes (Received): 12

I think Romania has one of the worst situations in Europe. Almost no big city has highway access. Here is a list of the top 6:
Cluj-Napoca(2nd) 324K
Iasi (4th) 290K
Craiova (6th) 269K
Brasov (7th) 253K
Galati (8th) 249K
Oradea (10th) 196K
geocluj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 01:28 AM   #196
italystf

In North America the largest city with no motorways is Winnipeg (664k).
In EU the largest cities without motorways are Riga, Latvia (697k) and Tallinn, Estonia (444k).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old January 28th, 2017, 09:02 AM   #197
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocluj View Post
I think Romania has one of the worst situations in Europe. Almost no big city has highway access. Here is a list of the top 6:
Cluj-Napoca(2nd) 324K
Iasi (4th) 290K
Craiova (6th) 269K
Brasov (7th) 253K
Galati (8th) 249K
Oradea (10th) 196K
It is also worth mentioning that the only 2 cities that are connected by motorway to the European motorway network are:
Timisoara (3rd) 319k
Arad (12th) 159k

The rest of the cities with motorways actually have a very limited connection, mostly just to one other city.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #198
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
It is also worth mentioning that the only 2 cities that are connected by motorway to the European motorway network are:
Timisoara (3rd) 319k
Arad (12th) 159k

The rest of the cities with motorways actually have a very limited connection, mostly just to one other city.
Is there a realistic chance to have a motorway between Timisoara and Bucharest in the near future?
That would mean having a continuous E-W motorway across the continent, all the way from the Atlantic Ocean to the Black Sea.
Old January 28th, 2017, 10:31 AM   #199
bogdymol
bogdymod

Lugoj - Deva should be completed in the next 2 years (hopefully), but the mountain section (Sibiu-Pitesti) I don't expect to be ready earlier than 6-8 years...

Plus the Bucharest motorway ring is also missing, and except some initial discussions there's nothing actually done with that.

So you would still have to wait a while before you can drive to the Black Sea only on motorway. At least in Romania, as the route through Serbia and Bulgaria is almost completed and then there will be direct motorway connection with Ankara in Turkey.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

vectom liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 11:23 AM   #200
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocluj View Post
Cluj-Napoca(2nd) 324K
A3 motorway exit is just 10km from the city boundary. Of course, it's still just a short motorway section (50km)...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote