daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:52 AM   #41
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

United Kingdom - what about Norwich?? still unconnected by continuous dual carriageway to London or other major regional centre to this day I think...
pop. about 350 000

In Australian road atlases freeways are in green, as opposed to blue in Europe, in Tasmania there are no freeways so this would make Hobart perhaps the largest city in Oz without freeway (pop. about 215 000). However, there are some short freeway standard dual carriageways that link the city centre with the suburbs and the airport. So maybe Hobart can't qualify...

Other Australian cities have a freeway network within metro area (even if it consists of one or two freeways). Regional centre such as Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, Albury/Wodonga, Newcastle, Woollongong, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and Bunbury have freeway connections to its nearest capital city.

Perhaps Cairns (pop. about 150 000), two days drive from Brisbane, has no freeway.

Darwin (pop. 125 000), perhaps closer to Jakarta than any other Australian capital city, has no freeway either.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:02 PM   #42
FML

Likes (Received): 49

Populations are those of metropolitan areas rather than city propers.

Hakodate, Hokkaido - 371,000
The largest metropolitan area without the National Expressways in legal sense, but the city is served by other motorways which are essentially the same thing. Does not have any plans to have the National Expressways in future.

Kushiro, Hokkaido - 220,000
The largest without any network motorways. Will be served by the National Expressways from 2016.

Amakusa, Kumamoto - 96,000
Possibly the largest without any network motorways nor the plans. The city is less then 30 km away from the nearest motorway in mainland Kyushu.

Amami, Kagoshima - 60,000
PERHAPS the largest metropolitan area without any network motorways nor the plans and more than 30 km away from the nearest motorway.

Miyakojima, Okinawa - 52,000
PERHAPS the largest city proper without any network motorways nor the plans and more than 30 km away from the nearest motorway.
FML no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM   #43
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Are we going by city limits or metro area population? (Some census definitions of metro areas are a stretch, in my opinion, since they're built up of entire counties.) I was playing with the Rand McNally road atlas earlier, to answer this question, and the biggest city I came across that you can't get far from by freeway was (probably) Brownsville, Texas. That said, what does "freeway access" mean? Lynchburg, Albany and Brownsville all have some freeways in them, and reaching some distance out of town (at least in the case of Lynchburg and Brownsville); they're just not connected to what you might define as the national freeway network (Interstates and other freeways that connect to them).
Connection to the national network, I think. By that rule, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary would all qualify, though Vancouver connects to much of the rest of Canada via the US.

Oh, my bad: Brownsville has a metro population of 406,220. I didn't realize it was that big. Because of differences in municipal boundary policy from state to state, IMO metro areas are the only reasonable way to compare.

EDIT: Whoa, I was more clueless than I thought! Metro McAllen-Edinburg-Mission has a population of 774,769, with 1,119,340 in Cameron (Brownsville) and Hidalgo (McAllen) counties. Over a million people and no network motorway? CRISIS!!

Last edited by Tom 958; September 3rd, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM   #44
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

I wouldn't say that Vancouver counts
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:40 PM   #45
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by essendon bombers View Post
United Kingdom - what about Norwich?? still unconnected by continuous dual carriageway to London or other major regional centre to this day I think...
pop. about 350 000

Norwich isn't that big, and Aberdeen is bigger than Norwich, although it is connected by dual carriageway. Norwich is the biggest without dual carriadgeway access
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM   #46
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
For Spain I would say Ceuta. 80579 inhabitants. I believe Morocco plans to build, if it isn't already U/C a motorway to there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
At Spain, Soria has motorway but it is not totally linked with the rest of network. In fact, the A-15 is partially still on works. So you can quite the city by motorway (only in one out of six directions) but necessary you will have to use a road to arrive the A-2.

Maybe in less than one year they will be totally linked.
Maybe we could count (apart from Ceuta and Melilla) Telde (pop.: 100,900, 62nd most populated municipality in Spain), Roquetas de Mar (pop.: 85,808, #76), Arona (pop.: 79,377, #90), Santa Lucía de Tirajana (pop.: 64,845, #115), Arrecife (pop.: 58,156, #129), San Bartolomé de Tirajana (pop.: 53,288, #137), Calvià (pop.: 51,462, #143) and Granadilla de Abona (pop.: 40,862, #171).

All of them are more populated than Soria. The problem is that all of them are touristic places where the majority of the population do not live in the city itself, but in housing developments that are inside the municipality limits. In the Canary Islands, municipalities are especially big and sometimes the original town (where the town hall is) is much smaller than any of those housing developments. The island of Gran Canaria has 21 municipalities for a population of 845,676, while Tenerife has 31 for 906,854.

Some aerial views so that you can judge yourself case-by-case:

-Telde (nearest motorway is GC-1).
-Roquetas de Mar (nearest motorway is A-7).
-Arona (nearest motorway is TF-1).
-Santa Lucía de Tirajana (nearest motorway is GC-1).
-Arrecife (there's no motorway in the whole island of Lanzarote, but there's a dual-carriageway from the airport to the city called LZ-2)
-San Bartolomé de Tirajana (view of the town itself) (nearest motorway is GC-1).
-Calvià (nearest motorway is Ma-1).
-Granadilla de Abona (nearest motorway is TF-1).
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:01 PM   #47
Durin

Likes (Received): 0

Republic of Ireland (including HQDC, motorway in all but name):

1. Dublin - M50, M1, M2, M3, M4, N7, M11
2. Cork - M8, South Ring
3. Limerick - M7, M20, N18
4. Galway - M6
5. Waterford - M9, N25
6. Drogheda - M1
7. Dundalk - M1
8. Swords - M1
9. Bray - M11
10. Navan - M3
11. Ennis - M18
12. Tralee - None
13. Kilkenny - M9
14. Carlow - M9
15. Naas - N7
16. Sligo - None
17. Newbridge - M7, M9
18. Mullingar - N4, M6
19. Wexford - None
20. Letterkenny - None

In Northern Ireland the second largest city Derry (100k) is notable for not having a single stretch of motorway.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:32 PM   #48
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Connection to the national network, I think. By that rule, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary would all qualify, though Vancouver connects to much of the rest of Canada via the US.

Oh, my bad: Brownsville has a metro population of 406,220. I didn't realize it was that big. Because of differences in municipal boundary policy from state to state, IMO metro areas are the only reasonable way to compare.

EDIT: Whoa, I was more clueless than I thought! Metro McAllen-Edinburg-Mission has a population of 774,769, with 1,119,340 in Cameron (Brownsville) and Hidalgo (McAllen) counties. Over a million people and no network motorway? CRISIS!!
For Canada: the country's so sprawling - and infrastructure so regionalized or "provincialized" - that there isn't really a national network of freeways. For me, it was good enough that Calgary and Edmonton are connected to each other, and that Vancouver is connected to the U.S. Unless the Trans-Canada in Manitoba is a better road than I thought, I think Winnipeg wins.

For the U.S.: it probably doesn't make much difference, but past censuses, in addition to "standard metropolitan areas" covering entire counties, have defined "urbanized areas" which are more realistic, in that they don't require us to count huge swaths of the Mojave Desert, for example, as city; they cover actual built-up areas. Not sure if they still do that.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:43 PM   #49
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19415

Well, I don't know about freeways, but Manaus (1.8 million people) is probably the biggest city in the world without road link with the nation's capital. The city is literally lost in the middle of the jungle.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:50 PM   #50
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
Well, I don't know about freeways, but Manaus (1.8 million people) is probably the biggest city in the world without road link with the nation's capital. The city is literally lost in the middle of the jungle.

Road BR-230 from the Atlantic ocean to the border with Peru, crossing all the Amazonas valley and the city of Manaus.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:56 PM   #51
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19415

Yes, the famous Rodovia Transamazônica. But actually, the closest it gets from Manaus is 700 km south, running through the city of Humaitá, Amazonas state. Anyhow, the picture said enough about its shape.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:05 PM   #52
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't think there are cities in the Netherlands over 50.000 inhabitants with no motorway access. Den Helder is probably the largest (57.000 inhabitants).
Further I can only think of Kampen (50.500), Zutphen (47.000) and Dronten (40.000). Heerhugowaard is around 52.000 now, and will probably reach 63.000 around 2015.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:12 PM   #53
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

I know in the Canadian Province of British Columbia, there are a few large cities and several smaller ones, that have no motorway access. It has more to do with geographical location, or the road is 4 lane, but not motorway standard. To keep it short, I've just listed the larger centers.

Prince George
Kelowna area
Vernon
Nanaimo
Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:15 PM   #54
Boltzman
S = k ln Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
For Spain I would say Ceuta. 80579 inhabitants. I believe Morocco plans to build, if it isn't already U/C a motorway to there.

In mainland Spain it's Soria. 39838 inhabitants. Has a motorway, but it is not finished to E90. The biggest town without motorway connection is Vilagarcia de Arousa, with 37926 inhabitants. Almost all Spanish towns above 20000 habitants have motorway connection now.
Sorry, but I strongly disagree. There are quite a bunch of towns above 20 000 inhabitants that have no motorway access in mainland Spain. Let's set the threshold to 20 km.

A quick search shows:

Ronda 36909
Barbate 22977
Alcalá la Real 22759
Puente-Genil 30245
Priego de Córdoba 23563
Baena 20862
Palma del Río 21605
Úbeda 36025

This is just in the Andalusia region. Sure in other regions there are many more of them.

If the threshold is lowered to 10 km, many other towns should be listed.
Boltzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #55
Tego
·!¦[· (17:50) ·]¦!

Likes (Received): 9460

In Bulgaria, the largest town w/o a motorway connection would be Ruse (149 642 inh.).
Old September 4th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #56
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

that's quite a discovery for me that Ruse is such a large city! i always thought it had some 30-40000 inhabitants.
Old September 4th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #57
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Norwich isn't that big, and Aberdeen is bigger than Norwich, although it is connected by dual carriageway. Norwich is the biggest without dual carriadgeway access
I thought of Norwich first as I once lived there. There are probably few other regional centres bigger than that aren't well served with motorways or dual carriageway highways.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #58
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2870

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Before 2002, Saint Petersburg in Russia was the largest city with no motorways.
Do you mean before KAD?
For example, Pulkovkoe shosse (goes to airport, built in 1970s)
Or Primorskoe shosse, 59km, built in 1980s
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #59
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

KAD is a real motorway. The others aren't, they are just multi-lane roads.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 05:43 AM   #60
eskandarany
من المحيــط إلىٰ الخليــج

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
UK:

There are many many possibilities, and it would take a long time to go through all of them. I'm not sure wether to classigy Kingston-upon-Hull has having motorweay access or not.

If it doesn't its Hull, which I think beats Plymouth by 2 000 people, with 258 000.

Hull's urban area has a bit more than half a million people (!), but that certainly has motorway access. I don't think that Hull counts, so I guess its Plymouth, although PLymouth has quite easy access to the M5 though the A38, although its not that near.

Aberdeen with 217 000 people is definitely doesn't have motorway access, the nearest one is 87 miles away in Perth.

The biggest city with out a proper dual carriageway access is Norwich I would assume, or possibly Slash City
What's 'Slash City'?
Aberdeen, Hull and Norwich all have expressways (dual-carraigeways) linking them to the motorway network. It's not a bad question for the UK actually. I can't think of any significant place... maybe Southport?

EDIT: Looks like I'm wrong with Norwich; they couldn't be bothered to finish off dualling a short section of the A11... typical, eh?

Last edited by eskandarany; September 5th, 2011 at 05:52 AM.
eskandarany no está en línea   Reply With Quote