daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Cultural and Sporting Venues

Cultural and Sporting Venues From Football Stadiums to Opera Houses.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #41
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon View Post
Your weekly updates are exemplary NH. Keep up the good work! I have to say, seeing the auditorium forested with scaffolding is quite evocative of other theatre renovations I have known; being allowed to walk around on the planking directly beneath the ceiling is a special experience! Great stuff.

Thanks for the comments Damon, glad you're enjoying the updates.

I have just edited my 'Week 5' post, to add FIVE more photos that I have found. Hope you are still on-line to have a look at them!
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 21st, 2011, 02:45 PM   #42
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Theatre Royal 2011 Restoration - Builders Diary Week 6 (w/c 18th April 2011)

1. The important electrical and mechanical work has now begun in the Stalls and Grand Circle – this will ensure all the lighting, air conditioning etc is as effective, authentic and environmentally efficient as possible in our new auditorium!

2. Building work has begun on the back wall of the Stalls – in the new auditorium this will be further back allowing for extra room and a more authentic Matcham layout.

3. The ceiling paintwork is coming along, and the gold leafing above the proscenium arch is looking very impressive! The ceiling of the auditorium has been painted a pale cream, with the detailing in a darker cream.

Week 6 PHOTOS . . .

It's the Bard himself! This detail is from the frieze above the stage . .

The Ceiling above the stage . .

In the Auditorium, before we put the new 'Gold Leaf' on . .

The Gold Leaf is now done, on this area . .

A wider view of that area . .
image hosted on flickr

Another view of the Ceiling . .

Cutting back the Upper Circle . .
image hosted on flickr

Sources . .

1 - Theatre Royal on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Theatr...le/17950275842

2 - The Builders Diary: http://www.theatreroyal.co.uk/restor...lding-progress

3 - Rory Gibson's Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gibbo_rory1/

Old April 21st, 2011, 09:09 PM   #43
delicolor
Ian Grey- Geordie Exile

Likes (Received): 4

For week six shot 6, I'm interested to see whether they make those egg shaped roundels on the ceiling cream or gold. I distinctly remember them as gold in 1976 (with the detailing in cream) but they were transposed during one of the restorations, possibly by Clare Ferraby. (I remember visiting in the mid to late 80s and getting shown round by Andy Kent, by then the Chief Electrician. (He was Deputy to Ernie Savage in 1976). When I pointed it out, Andy did a double-take and said that he had never noticed before!)

Newcastle Historian, I have the top left of your four books and even that is ambiguous with the various shots!
delicolor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:13 PM   #44
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicolor View Post
For week six shot 6, I'm interested to see whether they make those egg shaped roundels on the ceiling cream or gold.

I distinctly remember them as gold in 1976 (with the detailing in cream) but they were transposed during one of the restorations, possibly by Clare Ferraby. (I remember visiting in the mid to late 80s and getting shown round by Andy Kent, by then the Chief Electrician. (He was Deputy to Ernie Savage in 1976). When I pointed it out, Andy did a double-take and said that he had never noticed before!)

Newcastle Historian, I have the top left of your four books and even that is ambiguous with the various shots!

I have searched through books that I have, and the only photos that clearly show the 'roundels' are from the 1980s . . . so are dated after your 1976 observations.

The clearest photo (with enlargement of the ceiling) that I have, is here . . .

That photo seems to confirm the 'cream roundels' with a 'gold surround', but (as said) is a photo from the 1980s.

However, the below photo (though also from the 1980s) is from the book that you have delicolor (top left of the four books in my earlier photo of resources used for this thread) and is shown on the 14th page of that book, with the notation . . "stripped bare and ready for painting".

This would appear to mean that the 1986-1988 renovation re-paintings had NOT YET happened, and though it is in black & white, it does seem to (again) show cream (or 'lighter') roundels, with a darker surround . . .

So, unless someone else on this forum has any other information/clarification, I would suggest you pose a question about this on the Theatre Royal Facebook page, here . . .

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Theatr...le/17950275842

I am certain that they would investigate your question and respond to it on their page!
Old April 24th, 2011, 01:39 AM   #45
delicolor
Ian Grey- Geordie Exile

My Apologies, I only gave you half the story.

The mystery to me is why they are showing as white in your last photo, as the following photo dated 1979 clearly shows them as gold. (Sorry about the poor image, my scanner is down so it is a snap).

This photo is from "Frank Matcham Theate Architect" published in 1980 and is credited to Brian Mercer Walker.
Now this is how I remember the ceiling from the mid-70s and again circa 1980 once the follow-spots had been moved to a dug-out in the centre of the gallery and a lighting bridge installed at gallery level.

So, the mystery is- did they really re-decorate in the early 1980's, pre the Claire Ferraby big stuff?

I managed to dig out an older auditorium photo which many Geordies will be familiar with as a large version of it was under glass in the Box Office, being used to point out particular seats on offer. This was in a Howard and Wyndham publication dated 1933.

A closer view of the ceiling line shows that the roundels did appear to be gold rather than cream.

It looks like the correct term for that type of Fibrous Plaster detailing is indeed "egg" as Hayles and Howe have "Egg and Dart" cornices. (Go to http://www.haylesandhowe.co.uk and enter "egg" in the search box).

One other subtle observation is that the lime boxes either side of the Dress Circle appear to have decorative panels concealing the oval apertures. Even back in 1975 these two rooms were totally empty plain cubby-holes and the openings were gaping holes like my 2007 photo.

Old April 24th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #46
delicolor
Ian Grey- Geordie Exile

Newcastle Historian, if you look back to your post dated November 22nd and look closely at the picture bottom left on page 27, these appear to be "before shots" and the ceiling has golden eggs. (Note that the proscenium is at the top of the photo, if you turn it upside down it makes sense!)

Old April 25th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #47
delicolor
Ian Grey- Geordie Exile

I have a Theatre Royal Programme from 1910, it is full of adverts.

Here are the first two pages below:

Old April 26th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #48
delicolor
Ian Grey- Geordie Exile

Pages three, four and five of the 1910 Theatre Royal Programme.

A few familiar names, lots of unfamiliar ones!

Old April 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #49
delicolor
Ian Grey- Geordie Exile

The final three sides of the Theatre Royal 1910 Programme.

Old April 28th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #50
delicolor
Ian Grey- Geordie Exile

The Theatre Royal replied via Facebook.

Quote:
Hi Ian, the “eggs” in the ceiling will be cream coloured, and will also have the light fittings re-instated in them – about every fifth one originally had a light. The lime boxes are, and will continue to be used for stage lighting, so won’t have doors covering them. Hope that answers your questions but if you have any more please just let us know!
If you look back to the week 6 shot 6, that explains the holes that have been cut in the eggs. I thought they were a bit big for paint core samples!

The new diary is up, no doubt NH will be copying it across soon.
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #51
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Yes, I saw that discussion on Facebook. I noticed that when you said . .

Quote:
the old box office seating plan from pre 1933 shows the roundels as gold, but they became white by 1988 so I had assumed that Claire Farraby changed them
They didn't actually comment about the fact that the original colour was seemingly gold, not cream, and that they are supposed to be returning things back to the original situation where possible.

Anyway, I'm sure it will look great.

I will be gathering up this weeks photos and then copying them and the Week 7 Diary across shortly.
Old April 29th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #52
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Theatre Royal 2011 Restoration - Builders Diary Week 7 (w/c 25th April 2011)

1. The new auditorium light fittings, modeled on Frank Matcham’s 1901 originals, are now being made.

2. At the same time the framework for the “sunburner” is being restored whilst the internal workings are being recreated – the sunburner will be reinstated in the centre of the auditorium ceiling.

3. There are several miles of cable strewn about the theatre – it is like spaghetti and all credit to the electricians who know where each end should go!

4. The original Gallery seating tiers, now revealed, are being adapted to suit the new seating layout (and allow a bit more legroom than was the case in 1901)

5. An exciting development in the main foyer this week – restoration has started on the interior marble pillars.

Week 7 - PHOTOS . . .

As at 28th April, there actually do not appear to be any new photos available on any of the three sites this week (see 'sources' links, below).

Last weeks update (Week 6) included photos dated 'up to' 21st April 2011, and there are none available after that date, yet.

So, in the absence of any 'official photos', here are a couple I took the other day, showing the current massive "Restoration in Progress" posters, on the outside of the building . . .

Sources . .

1 - Theatre Royal on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Theatr...le/17950275842

Old April 30th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #53
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
I have a Theatre Royal Programme from 1910, it is full of adverts.

Here are the first two pages below:

Excellent Programme and Adverts. 1910, amazing (101 years ago now!)

Really 'trumps' my oldest programme (with adverts!) from 1946, that I showed here . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...9&postcount=36
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:27 PM   #54
delicolor
Ian Grey- Geordie Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Excellent Programme and Adverts. 1910, amazing (101 years ago now!)

Really 'trumps' my oldest programme (with adverts!) from 1946, that I showed here . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...9&postcount=36
Alas, it is the only vintage one I have, although some from the 70's have some great adverts.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:05 AM   #55
delicolor
Ian Grey- Geordie Exile

Two photos of the Theatre Royal

I was left an archive by an old frield and I recently discovered the following two prints of the Royal in it. I have scanned them together, slightly cropping the sky in the top one.

The exterior is undated and I hesitate to even guess! It appears to be a copy stand photo of a much older print or negative judging by the ragged edge.

The interior is reference 2701/2 dated 10/10/72 and is from the City Engineers Photographic Department collection (& Copyright them as well). In view is the stage tallescope (access tower) and if you look closely you can see the cable dropping down from the roof space to presumably power the two Strand Electric Profile Spots on the stand in the upper right hand Box (Box D). I don't think these lanterns were from the Theatre Stock, when I was a showman in 1975 the equipment was mostly vintage post-war stuff, although a computerised lighting desk had been fitted into the lower left Box (Box C) that Summer, with a curved window stage-side and a curved wooden partition auditorium side complete with Indian restaurant flock wallpaper and a shouting hatch.

(I have a poor quality photo of the Box post-lighting Desk conversion, when I find it again I'll put it up.)
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:04 AM   #56
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 915

Quote:
I was left an archive by an old frield and I recently discovered the following two prints of the Royal in it. I have scanned them together, slightly cropping the sky in the top one.

The exterior is undated and I hesitate to even guess! It appears to be a copy stand photo of a much older print or negative judging by the ragged edge.
This photograph also appears in the Newcastle City Libraries Archive Collection dated circa 1890 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcast...es/4081781140/

Type : Lantern Slide Description : A view of the exterior of the Theatre Royal at the junction of Grey Street and Market Street Newcastle upon Tyne taken c.1890. 'T.J. Pickett Spirit Merchant' is next to the Theatre Royal on Market Street.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #57
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Theatre Royal 2011 Restoration - Builders Diary Week 8 (w/c 2nd May 2011)

There is no 'Builders Diary' up yet (probably due to the Bank Holiday).

However, there are some new photos . . .

Week 8 - PHOTOS . . .

Painting the Gold Leaf . .

Gold leaf on the Ceiling . .

Some MORE of the new Gold Leaf . .

Original Wallpaper at entrance to Grand Circle . .

New Ramp into Stalls Area . .

The Confectionary Stall temporarily Backstage . .

A lot of these doors are being replaced by ones of more 'original' design . .

Upper Circle skirting boards show how seat levels have been raised over the years. New seating will give back the original line of site to the stage . .

Ceiling Frescos in entrance foyer. The 1986 restorations are being replaced by more authentic (original) designs . .

A new 'Barrel Vaulted' ceiling above the stalls, when complete, will be visible from the street . .

The original ceiling in the Grand Circle has been revealed . .

Newly discovered original plasterwork is being copied to replace pieces of modified designs currently in some locations . .

Sources . .

4 - BBC Newcastle: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-13295323 (This week only!)

Old May 6th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #58
delicolor
Ian Grey- Geordie Exile

I found another Auditorium shot but I don't know when it was taken, It is from the book Frank Matcham & Co and I will query it with the Editor. The proscenium speakers wouldn't have been there in 1901!

No sign of any concealed lighting in the "eggs" (which look gold!) and if there was any, I would have expected it to be behind the fretwork recesses.

I'll keep digging.
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #59
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 915

I see the Developer has submitted photographs of the Theatre Royals auditorium in accordance with 2010/0981/08/LBC :

Submission of details of a completed programme of photographic building recording of the auditorium to comply with condition 15 of permission 2010/0981/01/LBC dated 05.10.10: Internal alterations to include re-configuration of lobby kiosks, access ramp to stalls, insertion of additional seating, 4 boxes, sound and lighting booths to grand circle, new acoustic lobbies from bar to auditorium at upper circle, new lighting platform at amphitheatre level, new lighting gallery and insertion of raised floor and seating at gallery level plus installation of lighting rails to balcony fronts and boxes, refurbishment of wc's and installation of replacement seating to all levels, plus additional restoration works | Theatre Royal 100 Grey Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 6BR

http://planningapplications.newcastl...=LJA727BS09700

Direct link to the PDF with the photographs @ http://planningapplications.newcastl...ent-250137.pdf

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #60
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Theatre Royal 2011 Restoration - Builders Diary Week 9 (w/c 9th May 2011)

1 - Very exciting discovery this week – stripping out the ceiling in the Grand Circle revealed the original Matcham ceiling, and a fantastic piece of rosette light plasterwork. By amazing coincidence this is the ‘missing piece’ to complete the auditorium plasterwork pattern – we can now replicate it across all levels of the auditorium.

2 - Work to form the Boxes has begun this week and as well as the four towards the stage, there are going to be three new Boxes in the Grand Circle, two seating five people and one seating four. We have adapted previously unused space to make these, and they are going to be premium seating areas – great for treating your family and friends!

3 - Repairs are being made to the concrete stairs in the amphitheatre now – this is going to be such a great area to sit – much less steep and much more comfortable – nearer to, and with a premium view of the stage! The 1970s skirting board is about two foot above the original stairway, which shows how the floor level was unnecessarily raised in previous years!

4 - In the Gallery a new lighting access bridge and hoists have gone up. The top lighting from here is key for the stage.

5 - The gold leaf work has now begun in the gallery ceiling, and it’s no exaggeration to say it’s simply heavenly. The craftsmen first have to apply a burgundy base layer, which forms the base for the gold leaf to be applied by hand. Matcham originally used gold leaf in the Theatre, as it has an inimitable luster and shine that makes walls and decorations seem to ‘glow’. Over the years though, it’s been painted over and once that happens, it has to be completely redone.

Week 9 - PHOTOS . . .

Most of the photos this week are of the new Gold Leaf . .

Lighting holes in the 'Eggs' . .

Sources . .

Tags
arts, construction, culture, development, developments, historic newcastle, historic north east eng, history, newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, projects, renovation, restoration, theatre, theatres