daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6979

AFGHANISTAN | Railways

Quote:
First major Afghan railway opens

25 August 2011

AFGHANISTAN: Freight services began running on Afghanistan's first major railway on August 20-21. This followed the signing on August 4 of a three-year agreement for Uzbek national railway UTY to operate the 75 km 1 520 mm gauge line, which it built at a cost of US$165m using Asian Development Bank funding.

The line starts at the Hayratan freight terminal on the Afghan side of the Uzbek border, which handles around half of Afghanistan's imports and is served by a Soviet-built rail spur dating from the early 1980s. It runs though an empty landscape to a freight terminal near Mazar-i-Sharif airport.

UTY has been appointed to operate the line as its only international connection is through Uzbekistan, and the lack of an indigenous rail industry in Afghanistan means it will take time to train local operations and maintenance staff.

Afghanistan's only other main line railway is a short spur across the border from Turkmenistan. However an Iranian-funded 1 435 mm gauge line is under construction from Iran to Herat, and studies are underway for the creation of a northern rail corridor from Herat to Mazar-i-Sharif and Tajikistan. This would provide the Central Asian republics with a route to the sea; studies are underway for a link from Atamyrat in Turkmenistan to Andkhoi which could link with this corridor.

A north-south line to serve the Aynak copper mining development is also being studied by Chinese mining firm MCC.
http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...way-opens.html

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Last edited by dimlys1994; February 25th, 2016 at 06:19 AM.
Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #2
jomateix

Likes (Received): 0

They rebuilt the line again NOT STANDARD? I understand that avoid break of gauge is important, but when all the countries are pushing (the ones that can) mainly for standard (except India and Japan) this is simply ridiculous. Just check that:

Blue ones: Standard gauge
Lime ones: Indian gauge
Green ones: Russian gauge

Last edited by jomateix; September 4th, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
jomateix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Are you Spanish? Because they are the only ones than call "UIC gauge" the standard gauge, which is wrong.

By the way, since the line to Mazar-i-Sharif connect only to a broad gauge line, it has to use the same gauge. It would be absurd to tranship goods from broad gauge to standard gauge at the border, and from standard gauge trains to trucks in Mazar-i-Sharif, just 75 km after.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #4
jomateix

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Are you Spanish? Because they are the only ones than call "UIC gauge" the standard gauge, which is wrong.

By the way, since the line to Mazar-i-Sharif connect only to a broad gauge line, it has to use the same gauge. It would be absurd to tranship goods from broad gauge to standard gauge at the border, and from standard gauge trains to trucks in Mazar-i-Sharif, just 75 km after.
Not UIC, standard! :P I edited the post.

I think that is prefferable to annoy a bit the customers if at the end is for a big good change. Is like cut the main streets of a city to build a subway.
jomateix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #5
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

What customers? Nobody would use a 75 km railway in a desert land if a useless transhipment is added...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #6
Neb81

Likes (Received): 71

Building the line to anything other than Russian gauge would be patently absurd. The line is simply a short spur off a massive system. To make it incompatible with that system would be to render it instantly obsolete.

However, it is good to see Afghanistan finally getting the beginnings of a decent rail network. Being able to get materials in, out and around the country is essential if there is ever going to be a chance for both national unity and socio-economic development.

Globally, a rail link through Afghanistan will also give a backup route to the trans-Siberian for rail freight between East Asia and Europe. If piracy in the Indian ocean persists, and North East Asian exports continue to grow, then the Trans-sib may soon face capacity issues, so its in a lot of nations interest to get Afghanistan on the rail map (as well as complete the rail link around Lake Van in Turkey)
Neb81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #7
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb81 View Post
However, it is good to see Afghanistan finally
getting the beginnings of a decent rail network. Being able to get materials
in, out and around the country is essential if there is ever going to be a
chance for both national unity and socio-economic development.
Please note that for the moment, we only have two links in construction,
one from Iran to Herat, and one from Mazar-I-Sharif to Uzbekistan. So it's
ok to speak about means to have materials moved in and out of the country,
but for around, this has yet to come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb81 View Post
Globally, a rail link through Afghanistan will also
give a backup route to the trans-Siberian for rail freight between East Asia
and Europe. If piracy in the Indian ocean persists, and North East Asian
exports continue to grow, then the Trans-sib may soon face capacity issues,
so its in a lot of nations interest to get Afghanistan on the rail map (as well
as complete the rail link around Lake Van in Turkey)
You might even have noted that this backup route would be entirely standard
gauge... But I don't expect that to happen soon, not before the return of
peace and stability in this martyr country. A railway line, specially over such
a rugged terrain, is a far too easy target for terrorists.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #8
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26116

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...ghanistan.html

Iran shares railway expertise with Afghanistan
27 Jun 2014

AFGHANISTAN: Iranian Islamic Republic Railways has signed a memorandum of understanding to provide the Afghanistan Railway Authority with training to support its plans for railway development and expansion.

RAI said Iran would send technical experts to advise on railway organisation, maintenance and construction, to help accelerate the development of the planned network. A group of Afghans attended training courses organised by RAI in Yazd and Bafgh during June, visiting depots, bridges and other facilities.

Afghanistan currently has a 75 km railway from Uzbekistan to Mazar-i-Sharif, while a short cross-border branch from Turkmenistan serves a freight terminal. A line from Iran to Herat is under construction with Iranian government support, and according to RAI Vice-President, Operations, Hossein Ashoori, is expected to open as far as the Afghan border by end of this year
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #9
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26116

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...ct-signed.html

Herat railway feasibility study contract signed
18 Apr 2016

AFGHANISTAN: The Ministry of Public Works has awarded Canadian consultancy Canarail a contract to undertake a technical feasibility study for a proposed railway which would run from the northwestern city of Herat to the railfreight terminal at Towraghondi on the border with Turkmenistan.

The contract was signed on April 4. The study is expected to take six months to complete, with the Asian Development Bank covering the US$1·6m cost

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote