daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #41
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I doubt an annual sticker would already be on, and if it's still valid for a while after you return the car, you just leave it on the car for the next person.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #42
Filipdr

Likes (Received): 2

This is a Serbian registration sticker:

Keep in mind that the sticker is in color, but for some reason the photo has been taken in black and white.

Last edited by Filipdr; June 5th, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Filipdr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:19 AM   #43
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

The photo is B&W to prevent fakes from being made most likely.
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #44
Filipdr

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
The photo is B&W to prevent fakes from being made most likely.
Probably...
Filipdr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #45
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21232

Vignettes and rental cars

Rental cars are obliged to carry vignettes wherever they are driven. I know from first hand experience.

They will have whatever vignette/sticker required in the country they are licensed in.

If you drive into another country, you have to buy vignettes yourself. They are/cost the same as regular ones. Contrary to some US states, registration in US is always car-based, never driver-based, so it actually doesn't matter whether the car is a corporate lease, personal, rental...

Then, you can do 2 things if you still have a sticker you bought upon returning the car: be nice, and leave it there so that other users might drive the car without having to pay, or remove it.

Removing a vignette renders it unusable, and sometimes a mess on the screen to clean. So most drivers will leave the vignettes they bought in place, instead of dealing with the additional work of cleaning the windshield.

The worst is the Swiss vignette, because it is always valid up to Jan 1st the following year.

In airports near border areas, it's quite easy to find cars with many vignettes. Again, differently of most US car rental agencies, they assign you an specific car in the counter, instead of letting you pick whatever car from a line of a specific category.

So if you are travelling to another airport, it pays off to check out the rental parking lot for a car that has a vignette and try to ask specifically for it, in case of expensive vignettes or hard-to-get ones (German sticker).
Old October 9th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #46
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The worst is the Swiss vignette, because it is always valid up to Jan 1st the following year.
No! It's valid 14 months From 1st December previous year to 31st January next year! (for example I've bought one on 2nd of December 2010 and is still valid until 31th January 2012). It's pity I have plans to drive through CH in February...

And funny part, previously I had to buy Swiss vignette for rent car when I drove from Turin to Geneva airport (so annual vignette for 9 km of driving for motorway in CH )

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #47
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Rental cars are obliged to carry vignettes wherever they are driven. I know from first hand experience.

They will have whatever vignette/sticker required in the country they are licensed in.

If you drive into another country, you have to buy vignettes yourself. They are/cost the same as regular ones. Contrary to some US states, registration in US is always car-based, never driver-based, so it actually doesn't matter whether the car is a corporate lease, personal, rental...

Then, you can do 2 things if you still have a sticker you bought upon returning the car: be nice, and leave it there so that other users might drive the car without having to pay, or remove it.

Removing a vignette renders it unusable, and sometimes a mess on the screen to clean. So most drivers will leave the vignettes they bought in place, instead of dealing with the additional work of cleaning the windshield.

In airports near border areas, it's quite easy to find cars with many vignettes. Again, differently of most US car rental agencies, they assign you an specific car in the counter, instead of letting you pick whatever car from a line of a specific category.

So if you are travelling to another airport, it pays off to check out the rental parking lot for a car that has a vignette and try to ask specifically for it, in case of expensive vignettes or hard-to-get ones (German sticker).
Has anyone ever tried getting reimbursed by a rental company for a vignette they bought, on the theory that they're leaving it for other customers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
No! It's valid 14 months From 1st December previous year to 31st January next year! (for example I've bought one on 2nd of December 2010 and is still valid until 31th January 2012). It's pity I have plans to drive through CH in February...

And funny part, previously I had to buy Swiss vignette for rent car when I drove from Turin to Geneva airport (so annual vignette for 9 km of driving for motorway in CH )
So if you go to Switzerland every year around New Year's to ski, and never at any other time, you could actually get away with only buying a vignette every two years....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #48
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 510

Yes, indeed

Rental companies always say it's on your own expanses to pay for motorways, tunnels, paid road, etc. So no reimbursement at all. The same when you damage your windscreen and needs to be replaced :]

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #49
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
The same when you damage your windscreen and needs to be replaced
No, if you damage your windscreen, you get a new vignette for free (at least in Slovenia).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #50
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
No, if you damage your windscreen, you get a new vignette for free (at least in Slovenia).
Same for Austria, while the process is non-trivial (you have to find out the necessary pieces for your claim, then send it by recorded mail, ... certainly not worth for a 10-day vignette)

In Hungary, there is no actual windscreen vignette anymore, so damages to the car do not affect the validity of the electronic "vignette".

However, there was a time in Hungary where you actually had to carry three documents in order to use the motorways:
1- the actual vignette, applied on the windscreen,
2- a piece of receipt bearing the license plate number (link vignette to vehicle)
3- the purchase receipt (otherwise you could have stolen it!)
Commie mentality remains
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #51
Nordic20T

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
However, there was a time in Hungary where you actually had to carry three documents in order to use the motorways:
1- the actual vignette, applied on the windscreen,
2- a piece of receipt bearing the license plate number (link vignette to vehicle)
3- the purchase receipt (otherwise you could have stolen it!)
Commie mentality remains
Number 2 and 3 still exist today. But the best is, you have to keep the two pieces of paper for a year after the vignette is invalid...
Nordic20T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #52
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

No windshield stickers on my car. I don't think you are required to have any stickers in Ohio (not sure about other states). The only thing I keep in my car is proof of insurance.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #53
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilesy View Post
No windshield stickers on my car. I don't think you are required to have any stickers in Ohio (not sure about other states). The only thing I keep in my car is proof of insurance.
Pennsylvania (where I live now), New Jersey (where I grew up) and New York (where I have relatives) all require inspection stickers. I think there is (or was) a second sticker in New York; maybe evidence that the registration's current. In parts of Pennsylvania - the Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Harrisburg areas at least - the annual inspection includes additional stuff for emissions, and when you get your car inspected in those areas (assuming you pass everything), you get two new stickers. These are put on the front windshield in the lower, driver's side corner.

I also have, in my rear windshield, lower right, a Philadelphia residents' parking permit. Which is a bargain for me - at $20 or $25 a year - since my parking district includes a nice chunk of the downtown area.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 11:32 AM   #54
cougar1989

Likes (Received): 102

I have 10 stickers at my car.
German Umweltzone green
1x 10-days A 10 (20.8)
3x 10-days A 11 (30.4; 2.8; 24.9)
2x year CH (10; 11)
2x 10-days CZ 11 (22.4; 19.7)
1x year CZ 12

These are my stickers at my number-plate
Next TÜV and the region where the driver lives.
cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 11:43 AM   #55
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

I usually tear off the expired ones. I don't like my windshield to look like a bulletin board

By now I have my Umweltzone sticker, my Bologna parking sticker, Swiss and Austrian 2011 Autobahn stickers and my insurance receipt sticker. Gotta do some cleaning cause 3 of them are expired...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 11:44 AM   #56
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9137

Having expired windscreen stickers in Bulgaria is illegal. As soon as a vignette is no more valid, you are obliged to take it off the windshield or you most probably will be fined by the next policemen that stop you.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #57
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1989 View Post
I have 10 stickers at my car.
German Umweltzone green
1x 10-days A 10 (20.8)
3x 10-days A 11 (30.4; 2.8; 24.9)
Quote:
http://www.asfinag.at/toll-sticker-a...nd-monitoring]
No more than a maximum of two Austrian toll stickers are to be affixed to the windscreen at any one time.
So technically you are breaking Austrian laws.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #58
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19377

I don't think they really enforce that though, considering the loads of cars I've seen with numerous vignettes, some even dating back to the 1990's.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #59
Vienna21

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
What do you think about this I saw last week. 12 Austrian Vignettes.

Last edited by Vienna21; March 5th, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Vienna21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #60
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza

No, you are not, since there is no such law. It's just a guideline announced by the ASFINAG.