daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #101
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

I don't see how this could have anything to do with Schengen. It's only the owners' right to have control of their property, such as cars. If my car was stolen, I'd only be happy if some police in an another country, Schengen or not, caught the thief.

And if someone rightfully took my car to an another country (I don't know what such a situation could be, but let's just assume so), of course I would have written the certificate to him/her. Just the price of paper and ink, not a big deal.

Last edited by OulaL; August 9th, 2013 at 05:21 AM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #102
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

If I as a visitor to Europe rented a car at, say, DeGaulle, I'd expect to be able to drive it to Brussels or Amsterdam or... The "may affect the price" bit seems contrary to the ideal of freedom of movement. As does the needing extra documentation bit.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #103
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

The ideal of freedom of movement concerns only officials. It doesn't concern private businesses, such as car rental agencies. They can set their prices and conditions as they see fit - including restrictions to taking their vehicles out of the country.

If you think that one rental agency is too expensive or its conditions are unfair, you don't have to be their customer.

Last edited by OulaL; August 9th, 2013 at 05:49 AM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #104
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

On a somewhat related matter:

image hosted on flickr

If you have availed of your BMW M5 or M6 via the BMW European Delivery program, does your vehicle need to have the stickers as well? (especially when driving outside of Germany)

Or does BMW take care of everything?
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #105
MattiG

Likes (Received): 616

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
The ideal of freedom of movement concerns only officials. It doesn't concern private businesses, such as car rental agencies. They can set their prices and conditions as they see fit - including restrictions to taking their vehicles out of the country.

If you think that one rental agency is too expensive or its conditions are unfair, you don't have to be their customer.
Yes. The European freedom of movement is a concept which is very often misunderstood.

According my recent experiences, it is typically allowed to drive a car rented at an west European country to other Western European countries. Driving to countries having a larger crime risk (usually certain Eastern European countries and Italy), surcharges will apply, or it is disallowed.

A similar problem applies even to traveling by an own car. The insurance costs may be higher when driving into certain countries. For example, the insurance company If in Finland lists Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, and Moldova as high-risk counties. In case of a theft, the excess is 25 per cent of the damage. So, if your car of value 20.000 eur is stolen, the insurance company pays 15.000 eur only.

The options are

a) Do not go
b) Go and take the risk. Be sure you can afford it.
c) Change the insurance company and then go
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #106
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

With big rental companies they normally let you drive to any EU country as long as it has the green card inside. Here, especially in the winter loads of German plated rental cars, obtained at Munich airport. And with big rental firms at Innsbruck airport, the chances are that you wind up driving a car with German, Belgian or even Dutch plates. Not necessarily Austrian.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #107
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
With big rental companies they normally let you drive to any EU country as long as it has the green card inside.
I do not believe this statement is fully valid. Every time I have rented a car, the contract has listed some restrictions for the Eastern European counties, sometimes even for Italy.
Old August 9th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #108
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

There are many more car thefts in Western Europe than in the new EU members, so I wouldn't worry too much about your cars.

Name user 1 liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #109
albertocsc
Translator and traveller

Likes (Received): 49

As Cicerón said, in Spain we only have the Technical Inspection sticker, and as Peines did, the main point is having passed the Inspection, not fixing that little sticker.
We also used to have a Rovinieta in the Daewoo Cielo =D

So, as you have just been shown green stickers in the first page, here you have ITV stickers, in all three colors (changes every year):

albertocsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #110
Iregua

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertocsc View Post
As Cicerón said, in Spain we only have the Technical Inspection sticker, and as Peines did, the main point is having passed the Inspection, not fixing that little sticker.
We also used to have a Rovinieta in the Daewoo Cielo =D

So, as you have just been shown green stickers in the first page, here you have ITV stickers, in all three colors (changes every year):
[]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss96/albertocsc/20130910_2313511_zpsf6dffb5c.jpg[/]
[]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss96/albertocsc/IMG_74361_zps6b1e3111.jpg[/]
You're supposed to remove the old sticker when you get a new one
Iregua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #111
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
I do not believe this statement is fully valid. Every time I have rented a car, the contract has listed some restrictions for the Eastern European counties, sometimes even for Italy.

By default 99% of the car rental companies allows you to drive their cars on any EU western country. You don't even need to ask for it, it comes on the contracts by default.

In regards to the more recent EU members of the East it really depends on the company and the country. SIXT for example now allows you by default to drive the car on any EU country (except Romania and Bulgaria). HERTZ recently started allowing cars to be driven into Czech republic, Slovenia, Slovakia Poland and Hungary (but not into de Baltic republics..). AVIS is now the same (ok to CZ, PL, SK,SL, H) but they also let you to take the car to the rest of the EU countries for an extra charge.

Some years ago it was hard to find car rental companies on the west that allowed you to take their cars into the East countries, and if they did you had to pay quite a lot... but over the last 3 years things have changed very fast and it's becoming increasingly easy...

Penn's Woods liked this post
MrAkumana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 02:58 AM   #112
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
The French have insurance discs on their windscreens, the Brits have tax discs, the Dutch have nothing and the Austrians drive around with a "pickerl", which is to show that their vehicles have made it through their annual mechanical tests. (MOT it's called in England)
There are MOT stickers in Northern Ireland too. Well I don't think they are stickers, I think they go in pouches like the British tax discs.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #113
albertocsc
Translator and traveller

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iregua View Post
You're supposed to remove the old sticker when you get a new one
It's not my car. I don't have any stickers yet in present cars, so I took pictures from a friend's one.
But I did not know that rule.
albertocsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #114
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAkumana View Post
By default 99% of the car rental companies allows you to drive their cars on any EU western country. You don't even need to ask for it, it comes on the contracts by default.
For example, Avis and Europcar in the UK both charge significant surcharges for driving in any continental country.

Please list here 198 rental companies not doing so: ________
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:16 AM   #115
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
For example, Avis and Europcar in the UK both charge significant surcharges for driving in any continental country.

Please list here 198 rental companies not doing so: ________
I'm sorry, I didn't explained myself well enough. I was talking about rental companies located on the continent, where there are no border controls and driving from one country into another is far more frequent.

Funny thing is that when you rent from Avis or Europcar on the contienent it is possible to drive in the UK or Irland without paying any extra charge... (it's included on the contracts by default)
Old October 31st, 2013, 07:52 AM   #116
Road_UK
BANNED

That's because insurance companies in the UK want to know everything you're doing with your vehicle. You even pay less if it's parked on driveway at night...
Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:26 PM   #117
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
That's because insurance companies in the UK want to know everything you're doing with your vehicle. You even pay less if it's parked on driveway at night...
Grandmother has her car impounded and is forced to pay £450

Is it unusual in other countries to have to go through your entire driving history and habits to get insurance. In the story above someones insurance is ruled invalid as they didn't tell them they were using it to commute. Although EU third party coverage is mandatory by law.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:35 PM   #118
Road_UK
BANNED

There you have it. Insurance companies are money grabbing bastards, hence the ridiculous Health and Safety regulations in the Land of Hope and Glory.
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #119
romanian_boy

Likes (Received): 19

I have a question: Can I find vignettes for Slovakia at the Austria-Slovakia border crossing points?
romanian_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #120
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11828

sure. i bought mine at gas station Kittsee once

romanian_boy liked this post
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote