daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2011, 01:09 PM   #41
flange

Likes (Received): 710

Quote:
£26m hotel plan for City Building moves forwards

21st December 2011

By Mike Fahy - Assistant Editor

THE next significant phase of the Co-operative's NOMA scheme looks set to go ahead with a £26m plan to redevelop the City Building near Victoria Station into a 178-bed hotel now progressing.

The Co-operative Group has submitted a joint application alongside Denizen Contracts - the Wigan-based building firm owned by property entrepreneur Paul Bolton - to knock down the neighbouring 40-44 Millgate building and redevelop City Building, which will involve the creation of a curved 17-storey tower reaching above the building's ground floor level.

Manchester City Council's planning officers are recommending that the scheme is approved. A decision will be taken by its planning committee tomorrow.

If approval is granted, the hotel would be operated by Sanguine Hospitality - the Liverpool-based operator of hotels for Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG) and Hilton, which is co-owned by Mr Bolton and by Simon Matthews-Williams.

Sanguine will operate the hotel under IHG's "boutique" Hotel Indigo brand. A Marco Pierre-White Steakhouse Bar & Grill, gym and retail/financial services units would also be created on the lower floors.

The application states that the site is currently semi-derelict after both the City Buildings site and a former Post Office at the Long Millgate building were vacated in 2004, and that both buildings had deteriorated "rapidly" since.

Bringing it back into use would secure a meaningful future for City Buildings, as well as creating 28 construction jobs and around 188 full-time jobs once complete.

It will also form "a key gateway project within the NOMA Masterplan area and a fundamental part of the future regeneration of the Northern Gateway".

Muse Developments, which is spearheading the neighbouring redevelopment of land around Network Rail's Victoria Station, has welcomed the scheme, stating that it would create a "compatible and mutually beneficial future use" for its proposed development.

However, it has also sought assurances that its construction will not affect planned access for the Fishdock site it is looking to redevelop for Network Rail next to Victoria Station.
http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 21st, 2011, 01:27 PM   #42
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

New render? I prefer the green tinge so I’m hoping so.

Seasonedbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 02:01 PM   #43
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 163

It also cites that the tower will be 17 storeys instead of 13 storeys.

Andrew
AJD1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM   #44
Bluegate74

Likes (Received): 5

I doubt it very much, but I do hope the clock that originally graced the tower on the corner of City Buildings is restored to working order.
Bluegate74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM   #45
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Been passed according to North West Tonight. Who knows which one? Most likely the gold one.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:43 PM   #46
iheartthenew

Likes (Received): 783

beat me to it
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:27 AM   #47
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 227

I hope that this does turn out to be 17 storeys over 13 (well, I say that.. the rational side of me is saying keep it at 13 to create a more cohesive streetscape and masterplan etc etc, but then the other side of me just wants height). I do think that at 17 storeys it will bridge in with the new Co Op building a stone's throw away, along with No 1 Deansgate and the Edge buildings on the other side - Either way, a great addition.
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:54 AM   #48
Seasonedbest
BANNED

I reckon they’ve made a mistake with the height. It would change the shape otherwise, and you’d think at least one of these would show a height difference. which if you count he floors, they don’t.
[img]http://t2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTl-CC-WB3yvly3sU8EceAx70Pq2EAGaAiS8MrD0AIHRiGHHGJi[/img]
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:49 AM   #49
Dreamer
Let the Jam decide

Likes (Received): 67

Nice looking development, and yes I hope they go for 17 storeys - 30 would be better!!
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #50
LongRipple

Likes (Received): 331

The height is questionable and the shape hardly references the Listed City Building but ultimately this area has been a disgrace for MCC and its ability to force the hand of absentee landlords. Ultimately the economics of developing this building was always going to exclude any Boutique hotel project that might have been truly interesting.

I see no point in attempting to reference the glasswork of Urbis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonedbest View Post
I like. Was hoping for some green glass like the Urbis, but its a good proposal

This building represents the gateway onto the NOMA site from this side of the city.

I imagine that the architect sees it as a sister building to the New Co-op Headquarters in the same way that New Century House was to the CIS Building. Certainly the Brown Steelwork elements appear identical to that of Angel SQ.

In this way, I can imagine other “siblings” on the Shudehill and Miller St Sites incorporating the same element.

This would help create a sympathetic monochrome “whole to the entire project. One would know instantly that one had indeed arrived at NOMA by a standardised colour palette. Quality buildings constructed from glass would reflect the surrounding buildings of merit (similar to how the City of London balance the old and the new); I consider the statement /value buildings to be already here within the Listed estate, CIS Building, etc as well as Parker’s Hotel and Co-op warehouses of Angel Meadow).

Just building another sterile architectural business quarter like Spinningfields, with no coherent entrances/exits/architectural flow, would be a big disappointment when set against the progressive PR spin surrounding the NOMA project.
LongRipple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #51
flange

Quote:
Mr Pringle, speaking at a town hall review this week, said that, work would start on City Buildings in May – the development near Victoria Station will include a new Hotel Indigo and restaurant from celebrity chef Marco Pierre White.
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...t-within-weeks
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:12 PM   #52
flange

License application has gone in for Hotel Indigo.

Quote:
Hotel Indigo

Hotel Indigo, City Building, Corporation Street, Manchester, M3 1NX

Application Type: Premises Licence (New)

Proposed licensable activities to be carried on at the premises:

Proposed trading hours for the supply of alcohol for consumption both on and off the premises:
Mon to Sun 0800 to 0200
Seasonal variations:
The terminal hour shall be 0400 on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day

Proposed trading hours for the provision of regulated entertainment (films, live music, performances of dance and anything of a similar description):
Mon to Sun 0800 to 0200
Seasonal variations:

Proposed trading hours for the provision of regulated entertainment (recorded music):
Mon to Sun 0001 - 2400

Proposed trading hours for the provision of facilities for making music, for dancing and for entertainment of a similar description:
Mon to Sun 0800 to 0200
Seasonal variations:

Proposed trading hours for the provision of late night refreshment:
Mon to Sun 2300 to 0200

Proposed opening hours for the premises:
Mon to Sun 0800 to 0300
Seasonal variations:
The terminal hour shall be 0500 on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day

Residents and bona fide guests will have access to all facilities 24 hours a day.
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/50...pplications/11
Old March 16th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #53
js1000

Likes (Received): 627

One Angel Square is pretty much complete and attention is turning elsewhere (to phase 5 of the NOMA development apparently). Seems though (from what we've heard this week) that the refurbishment of Hanover Building has been given priority over Hotel Indigo at the moment.
Old March 16th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #54
mode1
fast fashion

Likes (Received): 87

Would that hint that they have got potential tenants lined up?
Was wondering about the hotel as mentioned here last year work was due to start new year this year.
Strange as the hotel market in Manchester seems boyant with other hotel developments going ahead in the city.
mode1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #55
yesevil

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mode1 View Post
Was wondering about the hotel as mentioned here last year work was due to start new year this year.
Strange as the hotel market in Manchester seems boyant with other hotel developments going ahead in the city.
Perhaps the delay has something to do with sanguine being bought out... Hopefully it'll get back on track asap!
yesevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #56
js1000

Likes (Received): 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by mode1 View Post
Oh no, Sanguine (Hotel Indigo brand) are lined up. Says on their website that construction will commence in 2013. I wouldn't be surprised if construction is delayed until summer next year. To commence construction with Victoria and Hanover undergoing renovation would be a logistical nightmare for all contractors involved - not to mention more expensive with greater demand for work.

Saying that though, it will be even worse once Corporation St is closed off for trams and any potential development on the Fishdock site. I'm not complaining, this area of the city centre has been crying out for regeneration for decades - to see developments, proposals and refurbishments left, right and centre in this area is fantastic news.

Ironic though that it all seems to start during a recession.
Old March 16th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #57
newdoader

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1000 View Post
Oh no, Sanguine (Hotel Indigo brand) are lined up. Says on their website that construction will commence in 2013. I wouldn't be surprised if construction is delayed until summer next year. To commence construction with Victoria and Hanover undergoing renovation would be a logistical nightmare for all contractors involved - not to mention more expensive with greater demand for work.

Saying that though, it will be even worse once Corporation St is closed off for trams and any potential development on the Fishdock site. I'm not complaining, this area of the city centre has been crying out for regeneration for decades - to see developments, proposals and refurbishments left, right and centre in this area is fantastic news.

Ironic though that it all seems to start during a recession.
Not really get things done cheaper in a recession
newdoader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #58
yesevil

Likes (Received): 48

An amendment app has gone in this week - looks like it's just a tweaking of the internal layout according to the cover letter:

http://www.publicaccess.manchester.g...7-apl-0001.pdf

http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-a...=MNT292BC6K000
yesevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #59
VDB

Likes (Received): 2467

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesevil View Post
An amendment app has gone in this week - looks like it's just a tweaking of the internal layout according to the cover letter:

http://www.publicaccess.manchester.g...7-apl-0001.pdf

http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-a...=MNT292BC6K000
Looks like they've increased it to 14 floors as well
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #60
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Looks like they've increased it to 14 floors as well
It's always been 14 floors (15 if you include the ground floor). Though one article listed it as 17 storeys - not sure where they got that figure from.

Andrew
AJD1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote