daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Tamil Nadu > Coimbatore

Old September 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #1
kongutamizhan

Likes (Received): 2138

Coimbatore Projects - Wishlists and suggestions

Use this thread to discuss the wishlists and suggestions for Coimbatore projects. Let's have this as a place to collect ideas and brainstrom. Please do not post any existing / ongoing project news here. Let's continue using the main thread for those news. Use this thread to discuss what we want and what would be nice to have.

In the main thread with so many news posted some serious / worthy suggestions are getting lost. So I think this thread is necessary.

Mods feel free to delete it if it doesn't adhere to forum rules

Sponsored Links

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Kandeeban
Kandeeban

Likes (Received): 601

Nice initiative..
But the way projects are getting conceived and then silently discarded, its difficult to distinguish between wishlist-projects and existing/ongoing project..
For example, is the proposed High-speed train an ongoing project? or is it on the wishlist??
Kandeeban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Kandeeban
Kandeeban

And I have a question/suggestion. How come Kochi and Trivandrum feature on the forefront when i open up the url for India related projects and Coimbatore doesnt?? Its important that we create enough hype (and justified hype) abt our city. Its a tragedy that a lot of my north indian friends are still unsure if Cbe is in Kerala or TN.. thats the level of awareness they have abt our city.. cmon guys lets do watever is required to push our city higher on this list.. the more often it is seen on these lists, the more impact it will make...
Old September 12th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #4
sarathy

Likes (Received): 16

Its better to plan and expand the railway underbridge near kikani high-school.
It is the main connectivity between Ramnagar and R.S.Puram.

Since brookfields started, we can see huge traffic in that area, that underbridge is a bottleneck. Govt. should take necessary action before it goes worsen.
Old September 12th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #5
sarathy

Likes (Received): 16

Need of Volvo / AC bus in Coimbatore.

Coimbatore is not only an industrial city, educational hub, emerging IT city but also it is booming as the hospital hub. We can see many many people coming from out of coimbatore, out of tamilnadu for the treatment in coimbatore.

Avinashi Road is one of the major roads in coimbatore.

It has following collages within 10 kms,

1.PSG collage of Technology
2.CIT
3.CMC Medical collage
4.PSG Medical Collage
5.KMCH Medical
6.PSG collage of Arts and science
7.Krishnammal collage for women
8.SNR collage of Arts and science
9.Hindustan collage of arts and science
10.GRD collage of arts and science
11.Sardar Vallabhai fashion Technology

Not only collages, it has the same or more number of schools in the same 10 kms,
Also we have the following hospitals,

1.KMCH
2.Kuppusamy naidu hospital
3.PSG hospitals
4.CMC medical collage hospital
5.Lotus eye hospital
6.Aravind eye hospital
7.ESI hospital.

These are only the well-known list, apart from that we have many Educational institutes, Hospitals, Shopping complexes, 5 star & 3 star hotels, Super markets, 'n' number of well-known apartments & villas, theaters, theme park and ultimately the booming IT park, all within 10-15 kms.

If the govt introduces atleast 2 volvo / AC buses on this route as a pilot project, then it can realize the potential of that road and later on, can add some more volvo / AC buses in this route.

This route is one of the busiest route for the public transportation and it would be helpful for business, IT professional, collage students / Staffs, Aged residents, personnel under medication etc. Hope Tamilnadu govt. will consider and introduce them soon.
Old September 12th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Kandeeban
Kandeeban

Lets make use of this:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle2446521.ece

The Hindu and the Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry-Coimbatore will conduct Glow Coimbatore - Interface on September 13 with P. Manivannan, Project Director, National Highways Authority of India at Chamber Towers at 6.30 p.m.

Mr. Manivannan will discuss about the works taken up by NHAI and its future projects. He will also speak on the topic “Road Map of Coimbatore”.

The event is being held as part of the Glow Coimbatore Project, an initiative to provide a forum for citizens of Coimbatore to come face to face with the representatives of the Administration and Government Bodies to present their views on smooth and purposeful growth of Coimbatore.

Queries and suggestions from the public may be sent to reachthehindu@gmail.com by noon on September 13.
Old September 12th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #7
kannan infratech

Likes (Received): 5813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandeeban View Post
Lets make use of this:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle2446521.ece

The Hindu and the Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry-Coimbatore will conduct Glow Coimbatore - Interface on September 13 with P. Manivannan, Project Director, National Highways Authority of India at Chamber Towers at 6.30 p.m.

Mr. Manivannan will discuss about the works taken up by NHAI and its future projects. He will also speak on the topic “Road Map of Coimbatore”.

The event is being held as part of the Glow Coimbatore Project, an initiative to provide a forum for citizens of Coimbatore to come face to face with the representatives of the Administration and Government Bodies to present their views on smooth and purposeful growth of Coimbatore.

Queries and suggestions from the public may be sent to reachthehindu@gmail.com by noon on September 13.
Good Op.

Those based in CBE may please plan the needs from National Highways angle (Please do not mix up State Highways & Corporation roads) and present the same to him.

Is there a Bye Pass connecting Avinashi Road and MTP Road ?

How is the connectivity between L&T ByePass Road and other emerging areas / suburbs of CBE ?

Trichy Road Expansion & MTP Road Expansion.

Sathy Road Expansion and connectivity to Mysore via Sathy.

Please keep us posted on the developments.
kannan infratech no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Kandeeban
Kandeeban

Any idea what is the population of the city as per the 2011 census? (i get the figures only for the district on the www). And what is the likely population after the expansion? Heard the suburbs that are being newly brought in have higher population density... Hope we cross 2.5 million (???)...
Old September 28th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Brand coimbatore

Likes (Received): 57

I think we may not cross 2.5 million. I hope it should be some where around 15 Lakhs to 19 Lakhs . Arul had done good analysis and posted in aratai arangam thread some time back based on district population n voters strength which quotes around the same figure.
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #10
ecotourindia

Likes (Received): 0

COIMBATORE URBAN TRANSPORTATION - MASS RAPID TRANSIT

Has been working on a report, for urban transportation for Coimbatore.

And I have in my wishlist two major rail based transit systems -

a) Rapid Transit to the suburbs of Mettupalayam, Pollachi and Tiruppur

b) Monrorail for the city and immediate vicinity.

MRT Lines

As such the first part - MRTS / suburban rail link was prepared and here I am representing the three lines -

- Blue Line to Mtpm
- Green Line to Pollachi
- Red Line to Tiruppur

Coimbatore Rapid Transit Terminal

The most important feature of the proposed Rapid Transit System for Coimbatore is a central hub or common Rapid Transit Terminal. This can be equated with Chennai Central Local Station or the local terminuses of Mumbai CST or Church Gate.

The terminal will be located South of the Junction Station on or near Valankulam premises. It will be a two tier structure with elevated and at grade platforms. It shall have sky walk connectivity to Coimbatore Junction and Ukkadam Bus Terminal. All the three railway lines will begin from the Terminal only.

Now I am showing the rough sketches with stations prepared in the coming posts; I am also making a ppt and proposal and will be prepared in some detail with monorail plans also. (Sorry, it will take some time).
ecotourindia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #11
ecotourindia

MRT BLUE LINE - Coimbatore - Mettupalayam

Blue Line

Present situation -

It is a single line non electrified broad gauge track to Mettupalayam.

The line passes through some of the most developed suburbs of Coimbatore and there is a continuous industrial and residential development in this route for the entire stretch. Among the three lines under study for rapid transit this enjoys the maximum residential population along its full stretch and also happens to connect with the proposed rapid transit terminal through the core city area.

What is required?

-Initially electrify the existing broad gauge single line and run trains from Coimbatore North to Mettupalayam.
-Doubling and electrification from Coimbatore to Mettupalayam.
-Elevated stretch from rapid transit terminal to Koundampalyam parallel to Sanganur canal (like MRTS parallel to Buckingham Canal in Chennai). It will have important stations at key points in the city.
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #12
kongutamizhan

Likes (Received): 2138

Sending you an email. Also please have it emailed to me as well. I did few more changes to the alignments from what we spoke lasttime. Just trying to avoid redundant work
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #13
ecotourindia

MRT GREEN LINE - Coimbatore - Pollachi

Green Line

Present situation -

Presently there is no railway line between Podanur to Pollachi. The erstwhile meter gauge single line between Podanur to Pollachi and Palakkad to Pollachi and thence to Dindigul via Udumalpet and Palani has been removed for gauge conversion. The conversion is going on but will take three to four years to materialize. Upon completion it will be a non electrified broad gauge single line.

What is required ?

-Laying double broad gauge electrified line from Coimbatore to Pollachi via Podanur.
-This line will start from Rapid Transit Terminal and follow parallel to the main line till Podanur. There is ample scope for expansion being agri land. Then it will elevate to cross over Podanur – Irugur bypass main line and the station will be elevated.
-After Podanur, the line will reach at grade and follow the alignment till Pollachi.
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #14
ecotourindia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongutamizhan View Post
Sending you an email. Also please have it emailed to me as well. I did few more changes to the alignments from what we spoke lasttime. Just trying to avoid redundant work
Dear KT Sir,

I am preparing a 10 - 25 page proposal and powerpoint. This is the first part as I had time due to holiday. The next and final part I expect to complete around Diwali with next holiday and will surely mail to you.

Actually I have prepared the suburban routes on A3 format with route sketch and stations. But in imageshack I had to minimize it. But will mail you in pdf and the notes also when finished with a copy to Ravi Sir etc.

Around December I'll come to Cbe to visit my uncle who will rtn from US. So will try to discuss and evolve a foot print. But all this suburban work involves alignment with Southern Railway and hence don't know if it will work out and hence included in 'Wishlist'.

But the Mono part I am yet to prepare and will send u a draft and u can also suggest mods and this we can push up and ask the authorities (of course after elections) to go 4 feasibility study inviting experts like Urbanaut.

Last edited by ecotourindia; October 8th, 2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #15
ecotourindia

MRT RED LINE - Coimbatore - Tiruppur

Red Line

Present situation -

The Podanur - Coimbatore – Coimbatore North – Irugur railway line was a single track till recently and was a bottleneck for trains and a cause of delay for them. Very recently, the line has been doubled and electrified. But the railway authorities are still routing most of the trains bound to Kerala by the bypass line through Podanur junction.

The bypass line connects Podanur with Irugur and many trains from Kerala that skip Coimbatore junction pass through this line. This line is a single line and electrified.

From Irugur onwards to Tiruppur the line is double track electrified.

There exsited an old loop line thru Nanjundapuram to Irugur bypass line formerly.

What to do?

-Initially run local trains from Coimbatore - Tiruppur through main line only, but frequency will be less as this line is congested by passenger and goods trains.
-Dedicated suburban corridor in the future with common rapid transit terminal.
-Revive the loop line from Coimbatore Junction to Nanjundapuram.
-Additional two lines from Coimbatore to Tirupur via Nanjundapuram, Singanallur, Irugur (present bypass line).
-The line will be elevated sharing with Blue line till Sanganur Canal alignment and then will cross the Podanur – Irugur Bypass line and will reach at grade and pass on the right side of the existing main line. It will continue as such after joining with the main line from Irugur also and will terminate near Tirupur.
There will be stations at Singanallur and Ondipudur in this line.
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #16
ecotourindia

Elevated stretch

This stretch has been modeled on the lines of Chennai MRTS going parallel to Buckingham Canal.

Here this stretch deviates from main line after Koundampalayam parallel to Sanganur Canal till Tiruchi Road.

It will have elevated stations for Rathinapuri, Gandhipuram , Avarampalayam Road, Avinashi Road, Sowripalayam, Tiruchi Road and joins the loop near Nanjundapuram.

This line has been planned as part of Blur Line or can be made as a Monorail loop also.

Last edited by ecotourindia; October 8th, 2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old October 21st, 2011, 05:29 PM   #17
rsrikanth05
Curry Muncher

Likes (Received): 848

We should demand a BRTS on Avinashi Road and a monorail.
And double the L&T bypass width, PLEASE.
rsrikanth05 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 07:02 PM   #18
Naveenmech

Likes (Received): 60

you travelled cbe these days?
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:04 PM   #19
kannan infratech

Likes (Received): 5813

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=108

Today, 09:29 PM #108
kannan infratech

Guys!

Which will be the ideal location in Outer areas of Coimbatore, where a Freight terminal can be located.

The location should be ideally connected to Kerala, Karnataka & other TN districts by existing or proposed interstate roads and proposed railway tracks. (without getting into the city)

Explanation with Google Map will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
kannan infratech no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:00 AM   #20
karthikarthik

Likes (Received): 75

Cross-posted in Ring roads and infrastructure thread

Route 1: Avinashi-CBE
This route brings in more vehicle unit and this road is already made into a 6 lane road.

Route 2: Palghat-CBE
This road acts as a connecting nerve between Kerala and Tamilnadu. Port connectivity to Cochin

Route 3:Trichy-CBE
This road connects Central/South Tamilnadu to Kerala and CBE. Port connectivity to Tuticorin/Karaikal
Route 4: Mettupalayam to CBE
Route 5: Pollachi to CBE(This road also can act as the Port connectivity to Tuticorin)
Route 6: Sathyamangalam to CBE

Ordering of above route is classified based on
- Number of vehicle unit From and to the city
- Number of vehicle unit using CBE as a transit point(Eg Truck from North India using CBE a transit point for entering Kerala)

Primary Location Terminal:
- Barren land
- Acquisition cost will be less
- Near to City
- Equal distance from all major routes classified above
- Easier accessibility
- CONCOR's Terminal @ Irugur is very near
- Irugur/Podanur Major Railway junction for handling freight is very near to this terminal.
- Airport is very near

Secondary location Terminal:
This place is also a barren land which is very near to Ukkadam(Existing Truck Terminal) and holds the same advantages listed above.

Connectivity from Terminal to Route 4 and Route 6 are major issue now. the traffic from these routes need to enter the city. Once the proposed By-pass road From Sulur to MTP road(Proposal by NHAI) gets completed all major routes will be accessible from the Terminal. The road as per the proposal connects MTP road with Sathy Road and later joins Avinashi Road and goes to Sulur(Trichy Road).