daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #421
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Yes. My boss did a test once. (For those of you who are not aware of this: I am a European express delivery driver in a van - UK-Europe-UK)

There were two different jobs to Barcelona from the UK. So he sent one pallet in a van for door-to-door delivery, and he sent one pallet on a plane as airfreight. The pallet in the van made it to Barcelona well before the pallet on the plane did...

yes, I agree.
I remember once, when I was driver, 10-12 years ago, for a weel-known express delivery company (you know it Road_UK), a customer decided to deliver two helicopter spare parts in urgency to Oslo, Norway.
From Bayonne, France, near the spanish border.
With two drivers, so without breaks, the van arrived a few hours before the plane (with regular lines of course)!!
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #422
KRX_69
Amaro

Likes (Received): 4383

In Portugal, in IP2, construction of new nodes has been canceled, as well as the A26 highway between Sines and Beja.

IP2:

A26:

Old November 19th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #423
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

¿Are there any plans to restart construction once there's enough cash or is it going to stay like that forever? We have a lot of U/C motorways in Spain where no works have taken place for years, but they are supposed to restart when there's money avalible again.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #424
KRX_69
Amaro

At least for now, there are no concrete plans for the continuation of these works, as well as the construction of the tunnel Marão, in the A4 motorway, where the works were also stopped. It would be the longest tunnel in Portugal, with 5665 m.
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #425
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Tehran-Chalus Freeway sections 2 and 3 seem to be cancelled because of lack of money and because the ministry gave too much power to the contractor that they can't control them. And the main focus is on sections 1 and 4. The freeway is 120 Km long and is under construction for 15 years now.
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #426
wildthing121675

Likes (Received): 5

Where I live in Ohio there were some uncompleted freeways that didn't get built until the early part of the 21st century. In Mansfield, OH US 30 was expanded as a freeway to I-75 and bypasses a lot of small towns and stops you would have made if the road had not been built.

Another example, I-490 in Cleveland was supposed to be I-290 going along the current route of 490 to University Circle but opposition shut that down. However, there has been talk of extending 490 along it's current route.

In my home of Kent, there was initially a plan to build a 4-lane loop AROUND Kent but that had a lot of opposition from land owners and ultimately was shut down. To this day, there is part of OH 261 in Kent as it heads towards' its terminus at OH 59 that were built four-lanes before the project was stopped.

Great to read about all these unfinished highways! Wow.

wildthing

NFZANMNIM liked this post
wildthing121675 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #427
Thiago.Am
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

=))
Thiago.Am no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #428
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fane40 View Post
yes, I agree.
I remember once, when I was driver, 10-12 years ago, for a weel-known express delivery company (you know it Road_UK), a customer decided to deliver two helicopter spare parts in urgency to Oslo, Norway.
From Bayonne, France, near the spanish border.
With two drivers, so without breaks, the van arrived a few hours before the plane (with regular lines of course)!!
I don't know what it's like where you live but in Sweden (and Norway) there
are regulations about work hours.

You have have at least 11 hours of rest within 24 hours, if you compensate later on you get an exception down to 9 hours.

Resting in your vehicle does not count.

Depending on the size of the part, wouldn't it be easier to hire a guy wiith a small propeller plane to deliver that part ?
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #429
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd

I don't know what it's like where you live but in Sweden (and Norway) there
are regulations about work hours.

You have have at least 11 hours of rest within 24 hours, if you compensate later on you get an exception down to 9 hours.

Resting in your vehicle does not count.

Depending on the size of the part, wouldn't it be easier to hire a guy wiith a small propeller plane to deliver that part ?
I read that those European regulations affect only trucks and buses but no vans.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #430
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I read that those European regulations affect only trucks and buses but no vans.
And taxis...

Van drivers obviously don't get tired ? Strange

it's about time to include the van drivers too.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #431
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
And taxis...

Van drivers obviously don't get tired ? Strange

it's about time to include the van drivers too.
So also car drivers. But it's impossible to put a tacograph in every vehicle.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #432
KRX_69
Amaro

More pictures from A26 in Portugal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourarq View Post
Diário do Alentejo 31 de Agosto de 2012
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #433
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

So sad... You either build something or you don't build it. What is the point of cutting the land and putting these concrete columns and leaving it?
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #434
KRX_69
Amaro

It´s very sad, imagine the people who had lost their properties, and now there is no motorway. There was a village with a bad access
Old January 26th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #435
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Quite a big one for England in this day and age...

SEMMMS. We don't build roads anymore, they are branded 'environmental improvement routes' LOL! I think this is to stop people worrying so much!

The Manchester Outer Ring Road was proposed in the 1960s, but was cancelled over and over. But in the last few months its been brought back! I'm not normally glad about things like this, but this new road will help a lot!

It was going to be full motorway scale but is now doing to be 2+2 dual carriage way which I guess is better than nothing!

Unfortunately it won't be good for solving congestion, as it's underengineered in design which tends to be the case with a lot of transport projects.

Yes it may be a dual carriageway, but instead of grade separation I wouldn't be surprised if the junctions are roundabouts and signal controlled junctions which will restrict the capacity of the route. Then of course when the road opens and gets congested due to these pathetic junctions, the ecos will play the more roads generates more congestion card. But the main problem is that the underengineered route has designed congestion in from the outset due to poor junction design. Due to limited funding consultants paid to do the transport modelling would be told by politicians to make the results fit the design rather than vice versa which would have led to a more appropriate scheme like the original A6(M) proposal.
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #436
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

We have some cancelled freeways in Barcelona metro. In the 1960s, a plan was drawn to build three tunnels connecting Barcelona with Sant Cugat and Rubí at the other side of a mountain range. Some works started at the beginning of the 70s: Via Augusta was extended to Túnel de Vallvidrera portal, and Túnel de la Rovira started to be dug. First one would follow this route, second one this, and third one this (this one, Túnel del Tibidabo, didn't made it to start construction). All three motorways should begin at the (then) city's only ringroad, Ronda General Mitre. In the mid-70s, the government ran out of money and works in Túnel de Vallvidrera and Túnel de la Rovira were stopped. 15 years later they resumed, but the extension of Túnel de la Rovira until Cerdanyola via Túnel d'Horta was cancelled and Túnel de la Rovira only serves local traffic. What was going to be the motorway connecting it with the (then only planned) second ringroad of the city (now Ronda de Dalt) is now a boulevard with space in the median that is being turned to a big water sump. Works in Túnel de Vallvidrera eventually finished, and it is now a busy access to the city.
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #437
cormiermax

Likes (Received): 43

The planned highway network for Halifax, which thankfully wasn't fully completed. They began construction, building one intersection but thankfully public pressure killed the project. Unfortunately that one intersection did massive damage as it was built in the centre of the city, destroying a huge chunk of the historic district and killing a good portion of the streetscape.

image hosted on flickr

Source

This is all that remains today, and there are plans to get rid of this single portion and restore the old street grid in its place.

cormiermax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #438
typo86

Likes (Received): 36

New Orleans
Vieux Carré Riverfront Expressway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vieux_C...ont_Expressway

The Second Battle of New Orleans:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/neworleans.cfm

Model & Plans:
http://lunaweb.giza.tulane.edu/luna/...&search=Search

typo86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #439
RV

Likes (Received): 275

It's a shame people's oppinions can have a so big influence; after all, for example that New Orleans motorway which seems to have been planned in a perfect place for a motorway was to be a huge advantage for a lot of people, and was brought down by a little amount of loud-speaking persons, who I am sure were not transportation experts. This has always been a great disadvantage of democracy; "because I can see it from my terrace" should never be a reason.

This is what Helsinki motorway network was planned to look like; it was blocked by leftists and ultimately the Oil crisis in the 1970's.

Blue: built
Green: planned/approved
Pink: planned, more distant future
Red: cancelled
Black: demolished

The main east-west axis was also ment to be the route of the Central Tunnel, which was very idiotically blocked by SDP, Greens and Left a couple of years ago.

Last edited by RV; January 28th, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #440
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

[rolleyes]

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote