daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #21
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by wald el bled View Post
This is not an excuse for the violation of international laws .
So this project is illegal it doesn't respect

1-Fourth Geneva Convention
2-United Nations Security Council Resolution 476
Nonsense. The Fourth Geneva Convention is inapplicable to the situation. The terms of the British Mandate for Palestine, approved by the League of Nations, gave forever the right to the Jewish people to settle throughout all of Israel, including Judea, Samaria, and Gaza, and this right was made irrevocable by Article 80 of the UN Charter.
http://www.freeman.org/m_online/jun01/shusteff2.htm

There is nothing illegal about the Jerusalem metro.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #22
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

OK, I can understand Arab protests. I do not want to speak about politics, but, man, did you, or any other Arab people protest when Israel has built roads in Eastern Jerusalem? Never, didn't you?
Fact, for fourty years every infrastructure that was built in Jerusalem, was built by Israel.
So, please, if you protest, you should protest against roads, electricity, etc. as well. Why don't you?
This tram is a wonderful new thing in Jerusalem, everyone should be happy for it.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #23
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
This tram is a wonderful new thing in Jerusalem, everyone should be happy for it.
I agree. It's very sad that some people just want to blow stuff (and people) up. Let's build more and destroy less.
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #24
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Seems to me the line respects everyone in the city by serving the general population, regardless of their genetics.

Are you saying it would be better to bypass arab nighborhoods in order to stay within a border? How is that serving the good people of Jerusalem? What crap.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #25
wald el bled
الجزائر

Likes (Received): 1421

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Nonsense. The Fourth Geneva Convention is inapplicable to the situation. The terms of the British Mandate for Palestine, approved by the League of Nations, gave forever the right to the Jewish people to settle throughout all of Israel, including Judea, Samaria, and Gaza, and this right was made irrevocable by Article 80 of the UN Charter.

There is nothing illegal about the Jerusalem metro.
That's not true The tram line runs through East Jerusalem and through Jewish neighborhoods built in an area of Jerusalem captured in the Six Day War, on which Israel's sovereignty is not recognized by the international community
-Several organizations including Amnesty International have denounced the project, which raises questions of violation of international law
-various sanctions and political pressure was established against Veolia and Alstom

and because of his participation in the Jerusalem tramway, to Veolia would have excluded a number of tenders which it was bidding:

contract for 750 million euros for urban waste management of the Urban Community of Bordeaux.
contract for collection and recycling of Sandwell (United Kingdom).
contract for 3.5 billion euros as the operator of Metro City Stockholm3.

I speak of international laws And you released me this israeli rubbish

@ Attus You have to be honest
You think someone can believe that justification stupid ''Should everyone be happy for it''
Palestinians protest that the Zionist state leave Their lands that means that the Palestinians have no need of roads or tramway or Electricity built by Israel that which destroyed their homes .....
wald el bled no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #26
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5958

Please! Could both sides stop this OT stuff and leave petty politics out of an infrastructure thread? And by both I mean the "building a light rail is a human rights violation" side as well as the "Occupation, what occupation? It all belongs to us" side.

I am sure there are places where these endless debates of the middle east conflict fit in, but not here.
Old September 28th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #27
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

I think this thread needs to be policed with an iron fist, considering its potential for off-tangent 'debates'.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #28
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
I think this thread needs to be policed with an iron fist, considering its potential for off-tangent 'debates'.
Agreed. This thread has the potential to get ugly.
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #29
mcarling

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
Agreed. This thread has the potential to get ugly.
I think the thread has already gotten ugly. I would support removal of both the false claims regarding international law and my rebuttal of those false claims.
Old September 29th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #30
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

My final contribution to this off-topic debate is that Arabs right in Jerusalem seem to be happily using the system. The infrastructure actually serves many arab neighborhoods, which can easily be verified both on the ground and on a map. But I guess Algerians in Turkey aren't really preoccupied with what the people right in Jerusalem think or do.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #31
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
But I guess Algerians in Turkey aren't really preoccupied with what the people right in Jerusalem think or do.
lol, score.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #32
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Was NIMBY resistance to trams going through Jerusalem's oldest streets partly to blame for the project's delay?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #33
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Was NIMBY resistance to trams going through Jerusalem's oldest streets partly to blame for the project's delay?
Many factor contributed to the delay of the project. A major Archeological find delayed the project for quite some time.
Old September 30th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #34
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Quote:
It's not actually going through Jerusalem's oldest streets, as it only tangents the Old City but doesn't go inside. It does however go through some of the older neighborhoods outside the Old City e.g. Jaffa Street.

What struck me most was the change that's going on around Damascus Gate station. That's pretty close to the Arab bus central station. The whole area was pretty shady (and partly still is), although some sort of plaza had been built in front of Damascus Gate some years ago. Now with the lightrail the whole area has been upgraded and I think that it will have an effect on the surroundings. It was my perception that most tourists used to enter the Old City via Jaffa Gate. Now I could see many taking the light rail to Damascus Gate and entering the Old City from there. I'm sure local businesses around the area will benefit from this. Maybe we'll even see a new Arab bus station sooner or later. That place is really messy.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #35
mcarling

This tram is a huge step forward for those who want to see the everyone in Jerusalem live together in peace and harmony. The only losers are those who seek to create divisions and enmity.
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #36
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

What is the schedule frequency now?
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 03:32 AM   #37
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetzirah231 View Post
For such a modern line, where does the 1940s-looking blue tramway traffic icon hail from?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:21 AM   #38
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

It's just a tram line guys, albeit a nice one. It will not solve all problems in the area, but it is not going to cause new problems as well.

I thought trains in Israel run on the left.
Old October 1st, 2011, 05:55 PM   #39
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5958

Well, as car traffic runs on the right as can be seen in the pictures above, it would be kind of stupid to have the tram run on the left side, wouldn't it?
Old October 1st, 2011, 06:06 PM   #40
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Well, as car traffic runs on the right as can be seen in the pictures above, it would be kind of stupid to have the tram run on the left side, wouldn't it?
If trams run on exclusive ROW, that wouldn't be a problem.

Tags
israel, jerusalém, tram