daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Nairobi Metro Region

Nairobi Metro Region Projects and construction in the Nairobi Metropolitan Region

Old January 5th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #21
ciceroji

Likes (Received): 118

Is it just me or does it seem that the rebar is a bit lacking for a four story building?
ciceroji no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 5th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #22
Rice TinaS

Likes (Received): 0

Hello people! I have just joined the forum and am equally interested in the project. I have actually been in contact with the P Director on phone for quite some time now (since August 2011) Investor Admirer, I received the same photos you have just posted today but something doesnt quite add up (I may be pessimistic tho') If you visit the website and scroll to the gallery, you will notice that one of the pictures shows an advanced stage of the project compared to what we are seeing today... Are today's photos a separate site? Anyone with some privy info that can be shared in this forum?
Rice TinaS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #23
Investor_Admirer
Investor / Admirer

ciceroji it does a little but it might just be the picture.

Rice TinaS, I get what you mean. the first picture on their site is a deep foundation - that area is black cotton. then the second picture is a casting.

I'm gonna email them again anyway for more details.
Investor_Admirer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #24
Investor_Admirer
Investor / Admirer

Ciceroji, I got a great reply to the rebar point. You have to remember that rebar is set by strength not size. So Y8 is a different strength to Y12. You just can't tell from a picture, you'd have to take a sample to say which type it is. The engineer for Kasaana is Edcons and they have checked it all out.
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #25
ciceroji

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investor_Admirer View Post
Ciceroji, I got a great reply to the rebar point. You have to remember that rebar is set by strength not size. So Y8 is a different strength to Y12. You just can't tell from a picture, you'd have to take a sample to say which type it is. The engineer for Kasaana is Edcons and they have checked it all out.
Thanks for the reply and checking.
ciceroji no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #26
donddon

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
More pictures - www.kasaana.com

I wonder if there is a plan or thoughts of using different building materials other than stone. If you look at a house in one of the U.S suburbs you could not tell it's made of Mbao/Timber.
Also are they still using the cement that you have to wait 3 weeks to dry up?Is it that this is the only kind found in the Kenyan cement factories, or do enhance it chemically for faster drying.
I have seen story buildings coming up in the US where they pour the cement today and Kesho are walking on it workig on that floor.
This could speed up construction and maybe reduce costs of building,Thus houses maybe cheaper.Coz am thinking 12M is not middle income, maybe high end middle income.
donddon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #27
Investor_Admirer
Investor / Admirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donddon View Post
I wonder if there is a plan or thoughts of using different building materials other than stone. If you look at a house in one of the U.S suburbs you could not tell it's made of Mbao/Timber.
Also are they still using the cement that you have to wait 3 weeks to dry up?Is it that this is the only kind found in the Kenyan cement factories, or do enhance it chemically for faster drying.
I have seen story buildings coming up in the US where they pour the cement today and Kesho are walking on it workig on that floor.
This could speed up construction and maybe reduce costs of building,Thus houses maybe cheaper.Coz am thinking 12M is not middle income, maybe high end middle income.
Donddon - this is just true! The typical construction methods in Kenya are slow. But, you're saying the architects & engineers should design differently & planners should have multiple standards for checking structural rigidity - I wish it was the case... We'd be investing more and admiring more still.

There aren't any developments in East Africa of timber frame. It's nothing to do with termites - it's just what engineers and architects are taught to do. Then internal walling is not plasterboard like in the US or Europe - sure it's better for sound insulation to have stone walling, but it's slower build & difficult to change. I guess some Americans could come over and build a new ethos of construction, but their houses will still be more expensive than local houses or what the Chinese make.

Your 12M comment is funny - because Nairobians are richer than you might think. And house prices are calculated by real estate valuation not average (reported) incomes.
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #28
donddon

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Your 12M comment is funny - because Nairobians are richer than you might think. And house prices are calculated by real estate valuation not average (reported) incomes.
I mean and I thought the property market in US is exaggerated, I guess the current construction boom has made prices high.
donddon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #29
Investor_Admirer
Investor / Admirer

Ok fair point, construction costs & land prices have pushed property prices up!!

A friend told me that a 1/4 acre in South B went for 40M recently. And subsequently 9M in South B doesn't get you so much these days. Mugoya Estate is a better example - there aren't any massionettes/ houses (that can be occupied) with values less than 12M!! And these houses are old.

But my other point is also so valid. Many Nairobians, especially the middle class, have more than one source of income. Last year KRA tried to get more people to announce all their income because there really may be BILLIONS of untaxed shillings in circulation. So reported incomes in Nairobi & the rest of Kenya appear much lower than where they actually are. This is undoubtedly different to the Western World, where peoples' principle income is enough to meet all their life requirements.

It's not only the doctor who has a mango farm, but also the Police man who owns a Matatu. But Kenyans are the example to the rest of East Africa how to develop a country. In yesterday's nation, it said that from 2004-2009, Kenya had the highest migration of people from the lower classes to the middle classes of any country in the World and apparently that data came from the UN. Property prices are in line with these guys total income.

Remember, a house is meant to be the single biggest investment in anyone's life.
Old January 20th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #30
Investor_Admirer
Investor / Admirer

action shots

everyone loves action shots...

and trucks...

and site engineers....

Old January 20th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #31
Investor_Admirer
Investor / Admirer

just noticed - a lack of hard hats!
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #32
Malaika254

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
just noticed - a lack of hard hats!
Exactly, no uniforms, no shoes, no hats, no gloves!!!!!!!!!!
Malaika254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:11 AM   #33
Investor_Admirer
Investor / Admirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaika254 View Post
Exactly, no uniforms, no shoes, no hats, no gloves!!!!!!!!!!
Don't you just love Africa!! It's that freedom that means with peace, we'll be doing 10+ percent growth for the twenty years.
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:24 AM   #34
Malaika254

Quote:
Don't you just love Africa!! It's that freedom that means with peace, we'll be doing 10+ percent growth for the twenty years.
Freedom of not wearing protective clothing at work? How does that spur growth?
Old January 21st, 2012, 09:20 AM   #35
Investor_Admirer
Investor / Admirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaika254 View Post
Freedom of not wearing protective clothing at work? How does that spur growth?
sorry, that was a bad joke! I've already voiced complaints to the guys at Kasaana - protective clothing is so important.
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:05 PM   #36
Malaika254

Quote:
sorry, that was a bad joke! I've already voiced complaints to the guys at Kasaana - protective clothing is so important.
Thank you for that. There are so many accidents at construction sites and I am sure those Investors would not like to see one of their own (family, friend...), working without protective gear. Isn't COTU supposed to be ensuring such things do not happen?
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #37
Investor_Admirer
Investor / Admirer

I went over to the Kasaana site a couple of weeks ago, but didn't post any pictures afterwards. All the workers have hard hats, boots and such!

But when I spoke to their site engineer he said they couldn't force them to wear the dust proof coats because of the heat. And WOW was it hot for the 10 minutes I was there.

it was nice to see what was going on and see the size of the rooms - which are better than many other places. although I hear now they're starting first floor and the developer told me he'll be putting up the price.

the guy who met me there (if anyone is interested) is Mukopi (David) - his number is 0721 266 903 - really friendly & informative.
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #38
Rice TinaS

Thumbs up

Thanks Investor admirer for the update. Things are looking up now ! Do you have an idea about how far the site is from the southern by-pass? Is it just touching it? Second, do you know when the development is scheduled for completion?
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #39
Investor_Admirer
Investor / Admirer

Hi Rice TinaS

The guy was talking of completion at the end of this year. And seeing what was going on, I'd say I think they'll make it.

The room sizes are really nice though, that's what I was happy about.

Someone else brought up the point of the bypass before but I guess I forgot to put the map they gave me on here. The current bypass passes the site, but the new "highway" road (which will connect to Mombasa road at City Cabanas apparently - linking with that flyover) will be built approximately 100m away into the National Park. The Kasaana project manager showed me those documents some time back, to be honest I think I may have lost my copy - but I'll ask him to email me a copy.
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #40
Rice TinaS

Very much appreciated investor admirer

Tags
apartments, nairobi