daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2011, 04:22 AM   #81
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Seattle has a severe space crunch at customs. There's a plan to expand it but it'll continue for several years at least, aided somewhat by bandaids.

Portland is in a tough place with overseas routes. For European routes at this distance, a metro in the 2.4 million range is just not very big. For Asian routes, the same issue applies, plus Portland lacks Seattle's scale of Asian business relationships, residents, and tourists. (Of course, Seattle is behind Vancouver and San Francisco.)

Portland's terminal layout looks very difficult to expand. I suspect that significant growth would require a second airport?
Actually there is plenty of room for PDX to expand. They could extend the concourses to the east without any impediment. A second airport in the Portland area would face the same challenges as a second airport in Seattle. Just not going to happen. (Salem, or areas between Salem and Portland, were considered for a moment, but I believe this proposal is dead, dead, dead.)

Bottom line, there is no reason for PDX to expand at this point. They don't have the traffic, or the flights. (Although I wouldn't blame them for planning for the future.)

Last edited by pwalker; September 19th, 2011 at 04:30 AM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #82
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2598

I spent some time reading their planning docs yesterday. Sounds like there's significant impediment to growth at PDX. They can grow substantially through moderate additions and mostly efficiency changes, but larger growth would probably take place at Hillsboro or Salem's airports.

I didn't see anything about ability to expand the terminal eastward. What's your source?
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #84
mhays
Journeyman

The third runway continues to pay off. Airlines now have the confidence to put routes at Sea-Tac knowing that weather won't cut us to partial capacity very often.

A couple years ago we had six or seven overseas routes. Now we'll have 11: Amsterdam, Beijing (x2 airlines), Dubai, Frankfurt (x2 airlines), London, Osaka, Paris, Reykjavik, Seoul (x2 airlines), Taipei, and Tokyo (x2 airlines).

Still way behind San Francisco, etc. But way the hell better. Hopefully Shanghai and Hong Kong are on the way...just a hope.
Old September 29th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #85
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Me too! It would be awesome if we have both routes to Hong Kong and Shanghai. They would be crazy if they don't choose Seattle for future routes.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #86
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Me too! It would be awesome if we have both routes to Hong Kong and Shanghai. They would be crazy if they don't choose Seattle for future routes.
I am pretty sure Cathay Pacific is considering a direct flight from SEA to HKG since they are a major codeshare partner with Alaska Airlines, plus Sea-Tac is within driving distance to Vancouver which with lower landing fees and taxes than YVR would be a major incentive to attract international passengers.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #87
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

So to say but I hate Seattle's airport. Hate the train you take to get to different concourses, hate the lack of restaurants before customs, hate the look of it. Just a crappy airport all around.
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 05:43 AM   #88
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

ur face is a crappy airport
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #89
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
So to say but I hate Seattle's airport. Hate the train you take to get to different concourses, hate the lack of restaurants before customs, hate the look of it. Just a crappy airport all around.
Congratulations

You just described every large airport in the US and the rest of the planet.
Old September 30th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #90
mhays
Journeyman

Nothing wrong with an opinion.

Sea-Tac is extremely land constricted...not just overall but in the narrow space between the garage and the terminal. If you want restaurants outside the security area, you'd pretty much need to go aerial. The ticket concourse is too narrow. They'd dearly love to have even just a few more feet of depth, or better yet 20 or 30 feet.

But it is a good idea to have a restaurant or food court area where non-ticketed people can hang out.

How's this: Now that the car rental services are about to leave, how about a new building at their current car wash site, outside the garage at the north end. Do a hotel with a few hundred rooms, which has already been contemplated for a long time (I forget where...maybe this site?). Connect via skybridges to the terminal and the Link walkway, with the food court inside...

Generally, there's plenty to not like about Sea-Tac. But it's a hell of a lot better than it was, with the new A concourse, the Pacific Marketplace, Link, the new runway, etc. Some of it is dowdy and too small, most importantly the Customs area. But the train system is a fine solution...gotta have something like that when you get above a certain size.
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #91
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Congratulations

I'm not sure about the rest of the planet because I happen to like HKG a lot. Which is on planet Earth.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #92
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I'm not sure about the rest of the planet because I happen to like HKG a lot. Which is on planet Earth.
I can't really comment on HKG as I have not yet flown in/out of that airport (although I have heard good things about it though) but in my experience there is not an airport on this planet that has restaurants/stores/etc before customs and having to take a tram to go between concourses is nothing unusual especially at large hubs such as Chicago O' Hare, Atlanta, Newark, Denver, Frankfurt, Paris-CDG, etc. So in that regard some of the criticisms mentioned earlier against SEA were pretty ludicrous.
Old September 30th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #93
mhays
Journeyman

HKG is awesome. I don't remember what's outside the security perimeter.

Big plus for Sea-Tac is the ability to walk to "airport row" from the terminal. If you're waiting to pick someone up, go to the Hilton, Holiday Inn, Denny's, whatever. When they land you might get to baggage claim before they do.
Old October 1st, 2011, 02:43 AM   #94
guinessbeer55

Likes (Received): 14

The only thing I don't like about Sea-Tac is the international customs area. Not a very nice way to greet international passengers, pretty bad first impression actually. But if they can remodel that terminal and make it easy I would say Sea-Tac would be a decent airport. The newer additions are fantastic.
One other thing I wonder about is that there is not that much room to grow. I'm pretty sure the airport is already at capacity, so I wonder if they have plans on adding more gates?
guinessbeer55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #95
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

SEA | Seattle-Tacoma International Airport

Alaska Airlines to start a new direct service between Seattle and Kansas City starting March 12, 2012.

Alaska Airlines Offers New Service Between Seattle-Kansas City, Mo., and San Jose-Palm Springs, Calif.
Old December 21st, 2011, 06:14 PM   #96
mhays
Journeyman

All Nippon will become Sea-Tac's third airline serving Tokyo Narita. With 787s no less.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...787seatac.html
Old December 21st, 2011, 07:46 PM   #97
fspablo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

WOW!!!! I just can't wait for NH's 787 landing in SEA, my second hometown!!
fspablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 02:26 AM   #98
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Congratulations

Well dam both of you. You must have not flown through some of the chinesse airports. you need to travel to some of the nicer newer airports in this world.
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:03 AM   #99
nawa87

Likes (Received): 267

Hello all..

Do y'all have any new pics and news from both airports?? Planning on traveling there and I have to use either of these airports.
nawa87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #100
nawa87

Likes (Received): 267

Pictures by Don Wilson

airport concessions, Central Terminal, Sea-Tac, The Landing

Airport concessions at Sea-Tac's Central Terminal

Airport, cloudsandclunkers, Sea-Tac's Art In Public Places, Concourse A

Gina Marie Lindsey Arrivals Hall in the evening, and airport drives

Car charging at Sea-Tac

http://www.portseattle.org/
nawa87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote