daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2017, 04:58 AM   #1161
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 771

Sorry, but Arena Central mostly looks awful. 2 AC ended up better than the mess once envisioned, albeit the basket weave frame and slanted pillars toward the top are bizarre. I also don't like how it encroaches upon the space of the ATV Tower and Municipal Bank. It's quite low-profile for the European headquarters of such a significant establishment like HSBC, and I prefer the pretentious. 3 AC is sort of iffy by trying to be bold with the windows but fails. 1 AC is a cheap and nasty mess of windows, a primary motif which is scarring cityscapes around the world, like an invasive species native to elitist hipster architectural cuckold circles. The Holiday Inn Express is queasy beyond any architectural principles.

Even the massing models looked better.

1 Arena Central:

http://i4.birminghampost.co.uk/incom...s615/arena.jpg

2 & 3 Arena Central (but not 1):

http://images.adsttc.com/media/image...jpg?1407852030

Why can't we have nice buildings anymore? Did the city not learn from post-war mistakes? It's like they forgot everything they learned after patting themselves on the back over solid projects like Brindleyplace.

At least Plot E (4 & 5 AC) and Dandara appear to be playing it safe as conservative.

AbidM liked this post
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #1162
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 1679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
3 Snowhill

Just to add to Brum X's post above .....

.... a CGI view across the CBD from 3 Snowhill.

This view will be transformed by 2019 when this building is occupied. To the left of the image will be the new Colmore Row office tower, currently the tallest office building to be built in the UK outside of London. In the centre will be the new HSBC building & the Arena Central development, and to the right will be the 3 residential towers on Broad Street - the core of the smallest of the 3 just visible.
That is actually the view from 2 Snowhill. Notice 45 Church street is directly ahead. 3 Snowhill would be to the right.

Imagine if 2 Cornwall street would have been built in the foreground of that photo too.
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 04:52 PM   #1163
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

That is a great view, I have to admit.
Old March 25th, 2017, 10:47 PM   #1164
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCountryAl View Post
That is actually the view from 2 Snowhill. Notice 45 Church street is directly ahead. 3 Snowhill would be to the right.

Imagine if 2 Cornwall street would have been built in the foreground of that photo too.

Yes, you're correct BCA.

In fact the view from the top of 3 Snowhill will be higher.
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 10:54 PM   #1165
Sandblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
Sorry, but Arena Central mostly looks awful. 2 AC ended up better than the mess once envisioned, albeit the basket weave frame and slanted pillars toward the top are bizarre. I also don't like how it encroaches upon the space of the ATV Tower and Municipal Bank. It's quite low-profile for the European headquarters of such a significant establishment like HSBC, and I prefer the pretentious. 3 AC is sort of iffy by trying to be bold with the windows but fails. 1 AC is a cheap and nasty mess of windows, a primary motif which is scarring cityscapes around the world, like an invasive species native to elitist hipster architectural cuckold circles. The Holiday Inn Express is queasy beyond any architectural principles.

Even the massing models looked better.

1 Arena Central:

http://i4.birminghampost.co.uk/incom...s615/arena.jpg

2 & 3 Arena Central (but not 1):

http://images.adsttc.com/media/image...jpg?1407852030

Why can't we have nice buildings anymore? Did the city not learn from post-war mistakes? It's like they forgot everything they learned after patting themselves on the back over solid projects like Brindleyplace.

At least Plot E (4 & 5 AC) and Dandara appear to be playing it safe as conservative.

Quite a long winded diatribe. With due respect, RegentHouse, most of the buildings are either not even out of the ground yet, or not finished. There isn't a single Arena Central building that is completed yet, so why don't you wait until they are finished, then pop in to town and have a look and give us your view on things.

(By the way, Alpha Tower has never been known as 'ATV Tower'.)
Old March 25th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #1166
mileymc1

Likes (Received): 579

It seems almost every update is about Arena Central or Snowhill. Is this really the biggest scale developments in the city?

The Metro is starting to take off in the city, the Airport is booming, office space is doing good, more hotels are being built, HS2 is coming. This is all good...!

But it seems that the growth is just moving along, not so much at a slow speed, just not as rapidly as other cities.

Why isn't B'ham expanding on such a scale as LND or MAN are? Not only upwards but also outwards. New neighbourhoods are being created in many other cities, 200m+ tall residential & office buildings, sport cities in the pipeline etc... Multiple exciting massive projects at the same time.

I've been seeing this HSBC building 4 days a week for over a year now. I really hope the Midlands gets some major action and investment.

ThreeFour34 liked this post
mileymc1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 11:39 PM   #1167
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

They aren't going to change the design, it'll look how it looks in the renders. What are you waiting to see? And i'm with him to be honest. The cladding on 3 Arena Central is horrible. They should have kept it more to how it was in the massing render. I wish 1 AC was better too. I'm okay with 2 AC but hopefully 4 and 5 deliver better than the others in this development.
Old March 26th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #1168
Sandblast

Plenty going on in Birmingham, our Mancunian friends, we just don't feel that the World wants to see every 'two bit' residential project going on in our towns, as it would get tedious.

Birmingham waiting now for the $billions to pour in on the back of the development of ......

...... this!

HS2

Old March 26th, 2017, 12:24 AM   #1169
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileymc1 View Post
It seems almost every update is about Arena Central or Snowhill. Is this really the biggest scale developments in the city?

The Metro is starting to take off in the city, the Airport is booming, office space is doing good, more hotels are being built, HS2 is coming. This is all good...!

But it seems that the growth is just moving along, not so much at a slow speed, just not as rapidly as other cities.

Why isn't B'ham expanding on such a scale as LND or MAN are? Not only upwards but also outwards. New neighbourhoods are being created in many other cities, 200m+ tall residential & office buildings, sport cities in the pipeline etc... Multiple exciting massive projects at the same time.

I've been seeing this HSBC building 4 days a week for over a year now. I really hope the Midlands gets some major action and investment.
We have plenty of new homes on the way. The difference being we have a lot more space to fill so talls aren't necessary at the moment. Moda will be the tallest at 41 storeys. We're having to wait until June for Moda to reveal what it looks like. JayPeeDee did this list:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPeeDee View Post
Updated, less the masterplans (Smithfield at 2000 and Snowhill at 4000):

We'll see plans on the first phase of Icknield Port Loop on Monday too, so we'll update you on that.

Quote:
After four years the detailed plans for Icknield Port Loop housing are ready to be unveiled

The long-awaited regeneration of the 43 arce Icknield Port Loop site, one of Birmingham’s largest single development schemes, is another step nearer.

The first detailed plans for new housing and the site of a major swimming pool in the heart of Birmingham are set to be unveiled at a public exhibition next week.

A masterplan for 1,150 canal side homes, a shopping centre and leisure facilities was approved four years ago and only now the detailed schemes are coming through.

The run-down area off Ladywood Middleway will include a major hotel, small shopping and cafe area, canal-side improvements, a park, playground and a pub.

The first phase of the scheme will include 200 homes, commercial space, areas of open green space and reveal the location of the swimming pool - for which a separate planning application will be submitted.

The public exhibition and consultation will be held at The H Suite (also known as The Venue and the Centennial Centre), 100 Icknield Port Road, Edgbaston B16 0AA and will be open to the public from Midday to 8pm on Monday, March 27. Plans will also be available on the www.port-loop.com website from Monday.
http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news...ngham-12788181

We need to do a better job of updating you with smaller resi schemes then.

Nothing much to report office wise if we ignore the Snow Hill area and Arena Central. A few refurbishments. The podium under 1 & 2 Chamberlain Square at Paradise is coming along at a slow pace.

Renders of the restaurant at the top of 103 Colmore Row were posted the other day. Demolition is almost complete for that to begin. That will be the tallest office building outside London.

We've had massing models of Axis Square and New Garden Square, but nothing to show you that hasn't been posted. No demolition of the Smithfield markets yet, no news about Martineau Galleries either. There is supposedly going to be a a couple of mixed use towers at Curzon street station, but we don't know much about that. We're waiting for a new planning app to go in at Great Charles square, it is going to be all residential now.

There is a lot to look forward to by Birmingham airport. UK Central and expansion of Birmingham business park, HS2 Interchange. Steven Knight is in advanced talks with Paramount studios to build 6 sound studios close by too. Winning the bid to host the Commonwealth games could see more sports facilities built across the city aswell.

We'll have to wait and see what HS2 brings to the city in the next 10 years.

Sandblast, Brum Boy liked this post
Old March 26th, 2017, 02:10 PM   #1170
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 4709

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileymc1 View Post

What, just like Brummies have seen the spinningfields office tower 7 days a week for over 18 months now, oh the irony.

I suggest you take some time out of your MAN bubble and look on the Birmingham Construction thread to get a better picture of what is going on in Brum. There are new cranes going up every weekend at the moment, and you wait until more appear over the next few weeks, i can guarantee you i will be posting them on citytalk so you can see them over and over again, just like we have to see Manc pics over and over again. Only fair.

Oh and the HSBC building is the midlands getting major action and investment.

RalphGuy, Sandblast liked this post
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 03:26 PM   #1171
Brum X
Brum X

Sorry i could not resist a HSBC Photo

This building looks awesome on the Birmingham skyline, and sits nicely with Alpha Tower.

Birmingham also looking great in the Spring Sunshine.

Yes Folks there is water in Birmingham, the most landlocked city in the country.

Photo credit to Kingheathan

AbidM, Sandblast liked this post
Old March 26th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #1172
Levifajri

Likes (Received): 7

NICE PIC

Brum X, Sandblast liked this post
Levifajri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 08:28 PM   #1173
aqeembayor

Likes (Received): 80

It really is frustrating reading comments like mileymc1. As someone who moved to Birmingham nearly 3 years ago, I can assure anyone that what is shown on this page barely touches at the surface of what is currently going on in the city. I suggest mileymc1, as others have stated, to check the Birmingham construction thread or even better, come and visit and see the number of cranes going up in the city right now. But fine, if you want to be lazy and judge a whole city based on one thread, just tune in to the Commonwealth Games in a few years’ time and prepare to be pleasantly surprised.

In terms of the City/Metro Compilations page, it’s only in recent months that it has been regularly used to inform the global audience of the tallest projects. Pages like London and Manchester have been updated daily over a considerably longer time now and credit to the posters on those pages. They do an excellent job of informing us about the projects in those cities. It will take time for more users who have traditionally updated the other Birmingham Construction forum to polish this page up the same standard as other cities. At this moment in time, and in terms of interaction with the global readers on this page, most of us feel comfortable informing readers on the tallest projects under construction by height. Just because you have only seen 2 or 3 of the same buildings, and have jumped to a conclusion that it represents all that is going on in the city, says more about you really.

“New neighbourhoods are being created in every other city”? I suggest you read the Birmingham Big City Plan. The plan is to increase the size of the city centre by over 25%. Not only that, Birmingham is seeing unprecedented renovation of its existing buildings which is redefining the restaurant/bar/entertainment scene in the city. Birmingham is growing, and it’s growing bloody fast.

We may not be getting the 200m proposals as of yet but name me the exhaustive list of European non-capital cities that have multiple 200m+ buildings...Yeah, thought so

Brum X, Sandblast, Brum Boy, RalphGuy liked this post
aqeembayor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 09:56 PM   #1174
Brum X
Brum X

Well said mate, you said exactly what i was feeling.

To put it also into context Birmingham is building (Offices) 3 Snowhill, 2 Arena Central, Paradise and hopefully soon to be 103 Colmore Row. If anybody does not think that this kind of development is not serious investment then they need to go away and refrain from posting such comments.

This could be the equivalent of building an office tower reaching 50 floors, 50 floors of new office space for the city. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

Sandblast, aqeembayor liked this post
Old March 31st, 2017, 12:40 AM   #1175
Sandblast

Exchange Square
Residential & Retail

Under construction

(Image courtesy of ReissOmari)

(Image courtesy of JayPeeDee)

(Image courtesy of metrogogo)

Bylina, RalphGuy liked this post

Last edited by Sandblast; March 31st, 2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old March 31st, 2017, 06:01 PM   #1176
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 1112

Sandblast, no office here anymore. Virtually all residential now. I think some retail, not sure.
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 07:35 PM   #1177
Sandblast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Sandblast, no office here anymore. Virtually all residential now. I think some retail, not sure.
Yeh, sorry RalphGuy, I included the existing McClaren office tower as part of the overall 'Exhange Square' scheme as it has also undergone a refurb. I've amended the title.

I haven't included the Exchange Square website, as the one I could find doesn't seem correct .... any ideas?
Old March 31st, 2017, 10:02 PM   #1178
Sandblast

Two Arena Central | HSBC UK Headquarter building

External cladding & glazing being fixed in to position.

(Image courtesy of Bloxwich Stroller)

Bloxwich Stroller liked this post
Old April 1st, 2017, 12:56 AM   #1179
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
Yeh, sorry RalphGuy, I included the existing McClaren office tower as part of the overall 'Exhange Square' scheme as it has also undergone a refurb. I've amended the title.

I haven't included the Exchange Square website, as the one I could find doesn't seem correct .... any ideas?

If you go to the website for Nikal and then click on Latest News, the top item currently is 'Two Milestones Secured For Exchange Square' and that gives the correct write up.

Sandblast liked this post
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 07:22 PM   #1180
AbidM

Likes (Received): 1344

+1 Like from me, keep up the good work SANDBLAST (sorry for the caps , it's much appreciated, always hilarious way of doing things.
"We're all victims of the architect. Architecture is the only art that you can't help but feel. You can avoid paintings, you can avoid music, and you can even avoid history. But good luck getting away from architecture." - Humans of New York

Sandblast liked this post
AbidM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
birmingham