daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #1
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

Why are all UK airports so small compared to other similar usage airports around the world...

Why are all UK airports so small compared to other similar usage airports around the world...

When ever I look around the US, all their airports are huge with several runways...

Heathrow and Manchester are the only airports to have more than 1 full length runway, they both have 2. Gatwick and Stanstead, both very busy only have 1.

Indianapolis Airport with its 7.5 million (Stansted has 18.5 with 1 runway) passengers has 3 runways, altho only 2 are parallel, but still all that for not a lot of usage...

Chicago O'Hare 67million passengers, roughly the same as Heathrow but has 7 runways!

Most regional US airports seem to have atleast 2 full size runways, whilst most UK airports have 1, and even then only about 2200m length even though the usage is pretty high!

I really don't know the answer to this, maybe its lack of space? Its not lack of usage!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #2
horlick97

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post

When ever I look around the US, all their airports are huge with several runways...

Heathrow and Manchester are the only airports to have more than 1 full length runway, they both have 2. Gatwick and Stanstead, both very busy only have 1.

Indianapolis Airport with its 7.5 million (Stansted has 18.5 with 1 runway) passengers has 3 runways, altho only 2 are parallel, but still all that for not a lot of usage...

Chicago O'Hare 67million passengers, roughly the same as Heathrow but has 7 runways!

Most regional US airports seem to have atleast 2 full size runways, whilst most UK airports have 1, and even then only about 2200m length even though the usage is pretty high!

I really don't know the answer to this, maybe its lack of space? Its not lack of usage!
i have not studied the details. I suspect some of the multiple runways are to also to cater to different wind conditions/directions, not just to provide the capacity.

Cheers!
horlick97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #3
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

What does surprise me is terminal size comparing US and European airports. Even the smallest airport has jetbridges etc.
Old September 25th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #4
gino lo spazzino
Go Crazy!

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post

Even here in Italy we have only Malpensa and Fiumicino with more than one runway, and frankly I don't pose the problem.

Probably the most British airports do not need more runways.
gino lo spazzino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #5
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

I am guessing it has to do with the lack of land available for airport expansion. I know there is massive opposition to expanding Heathrow for a third runway, since it would mean that several nearby villages/neighborhoods would have to be demolished.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Berlin.

Likes (Received): 5

The thing is that in america much more small airplains are used, like embraer, so they have more traffic.
Berlin. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #7
strandeed

Likes (Received): 108

Land costs/availability and American optimism about future growth prospects

You can see this throughout the USA where they build overcapacity in from the start to avoid congestion/big bills later on

For example, America builds it's road with an very wide median and so that extra lanes can be added in the future at little cost.
strandeed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #8
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin. View Post
The thing is that in america much more small airplains are used, like embraer, so they have more traffic.
Yeah, most major North American hubs such as IAH, DEN, YYZ, ORD, or ATL have huge commuter plane operations as well which serves midsized to smaller cities as well so there tends to be more air traffic, wheras most European/Asian airports use HSR or other rail lines for that purpose which frees up more space.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #9
WatcherZero

Most UK airports grew out of small commercial or former military airfields and communities built up around them meaning they cant now be expanded. Also land is far more expensive and in much shorter supply in the UK.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #10
acela

Likes (Received): 24

Efficiency i supposed.
acela no está en línea   Reply With Quote