daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Norway > Oslo

Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:31 PM   #101
Galro

Likes (Received): 3210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokkum View Post
At least Jørn Holme was positive to selling the plot and making appartments earlier. But back then he was statssekretær and not riksantikvar. And I'm guessing it's only the old prison walls that are protected and not the new ones.

The old houses in st.halvardsgate isn't worth keeping imo. They are too small to be this close to sentrum. Besides they don't give anything to the new street by the railroadtracks. As of now, while the railroad is still there I don't mind keeping them though.
Okay, I thought you were talking about the old walls. I don't know whether or not the new ones are- probably depends on their age. But the walls at Pilestredet Park are at least protected and I doubt they were much older.

The buildings along St Halvards Gate are old, charming and one of the thing I like the most with the city is just this varying density which these houses are examples of. Yes, you could of course argue that they don't have they required density or whatever, but cities are more than just numbers which is why many love stuff like Telthusbakken, Damnstredet or the charming houses along St Halvards Gate. Besides I don't really see any great benefit to demolishing them besides the added density, and the area will get much denser with your proposal even with them kept either way. And I suspect many will feel the same as I and your proposal will therefore be met with a lot of opposition.

Last edited by Galro; February 22nd, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:14 PM   #102
Jokkum

Likes (Received): 0

I guess many people will share your view. But thats not how I would have wanted it anyway. Damstredet and Telthusbakken are among my favorite streets in the city, but I dont get the same charming feeling when im walking in St.Halvards gate. I don't get a similar feeling in that street at all. The houses dont give me anything. They are okay for now, but if the tracks would dissapear, I would have wanted a much more urban setting.

Of course it doesn't matter because I dont se the tracks going anywhere in the near future anyway.

When it comes to the old prison wall I think it should be able to use them in a design in some way. But how to do that I woldnt now anything about..
Jokkum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:22 PM   #103
Jokkum

I guess many people will share your view. But thats not how I would have wanted it anyway. Damstredet and Telthusbakken are among my favorite streets in the city, but I dont get the same charming feeling when im walking in St.Halvards gate. I don't get a similar feeling in that street at all. The houses dont give me anything. They are okay for now, but if the tracks would dissapear, I would have wanted a much more urban setting.

Of course it doesn't matter because I dont se the tracks going anywhere in the near future anyway.

When it comes to the old prison wall I think it should be able to use them in a design in some way. But how to do that I woldnt now anything about..
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:25 PM   #104
Galro

But it should be quite easy to incorporate those houses into a urban setting. Something like this for example. Then you could have had small shops or kiosks in the old buildings along the road.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:22 PM   #105
Jokkum

That's a sollution i could live with
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #106
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 281

A little picture showing are in question of Galro's plan:

And my precious clock tower. Please keep!

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #107
Galro

Wouldn't Kuba at Grunerløkka (you know the round asphalt plot where I believe there used to be glass bell) be a perfect place for a building like this?

image hosted on flickr

Tietgen student housing, Copenhagen, Denmark by jfravn, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Tietgenkollegiet by demoshelsinki, on Flickr

(which also happens to be my favorite modern building in Copenhagen.)
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:49 AM   #108
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

I just saw this picture in the Danish section, and it shows exactly what kind of densification I would like to see in Kvadraturen, Oslo. A respectful densification which opens up for many new apartments, without having to tear down old buildings, or massively alter them.

The new Tollbugata?

An interesting historic neighborhood doesn't always have to have generic building heights to be interesting. Only in Northern Europe does that seem to be a "fact".

Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:55 AM   #109
Galro

Kvadraturen? Generic building heights?
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:01 AM   #110
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

It's been many times arguemnted (even on this forum), that new buildings in Kvadraturen should adapt to the heights of the old buildings, and if I remember correctly, someone even argued Thon's Thon Hotel Panorama should be demolished.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:04 AM   #111
Galro

I wouldn't mind seeing it go either ...
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:14 AM   #112
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing it go either ...
Then to what????

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:17 AM   #113
Galro

Then to what? Are you asking where it should go? Perhaps it could enjoy a stay in sunny Spain?
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:36 AM   #114
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

What would you like to see there instead? I like having a 13 floorer there, just because I know Riksantikvaren has offices right beside it.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:37 AM   #115
Galro

Okay, I love that thought too ...
Old March 30th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #116
Lawnmower

Likes (Received): 4

Lack of apartments

I see many discussions about Oslo missing apartments for the growing population and the need to build in the forest, for example:
http://oslopuls.aftenposten.no/byliv/article701803.ece
http://oslopuls.aftenposten.no/kunst...icle679829.ece

But I think there are lots of places in Oslo where it's possible to make apartments:

- I see lots of unused apartments, offices and buildings, especially in the center around Storgata, Hausmannsgate etc. Who owns these abandoned places? In my opinion at least 1% of all apartments and office spaces in Oslo are unused or abandoned at the moment, which means probably 3000 apartments.

- Hotels are almost never at full capacity. Why not allocate 10% of their rooms as apartments? That could mean another 2000 or so apartments.

- Oslo prison could be converted to student housing. That would solve the student housing problem with at least 2000-3000 apartments.

- The silo and surrounding area around Sandaker (on both sides of the river) could bring 1000 apartments.

- Converting parking houses into housing could bring another 1000 apartments.

So at least 10 000 apartments can be created inside Ring 3 without building new buildings, just by converting existing buildings to housing.
Lawnmower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #117
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
- I see lots of unused apartments, offices and buildings, especially in the center around Storgata, Hausmannsgate etc. Who owns these abandoned places? In my opinion at least 1% of all apartments and office spaces in Oslo are unused or abandoned at the moment, which means probably 3000 apartments.
Thon owns many (the majority?) of the buildings along Storgata. Unsure about Hausmannsgate though.
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #118
bookings

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
I see many discussions about Oslo missing apartments for the growing population and the need to build in the forest, for example:

- The silo and surrounding area around Sandaker (on both sides of the river) could bring 1000 apartments.
The silo is in use I think, and provide flour for a large part of the country, at least all of Oslo. Harvest is just once a year, we need bread year round.

But the topic is interesting, and important. I personally find that the forests make Oslo a better city, and that in any case it's going to be too expensive to build there. And it will not solve the problem, which is that people want to live close to work. I've earlier been cocky in a different thread and proclaimed I would be willing to move to Stange, if a train could take me to work in 30 minutes. But communications apart, there are still many opportunities to fit more people inside the current city limits in a humane way. For instance, apartment blocks of 10 floors hold many more people than those with 4 floors. The mistake has been to build these highrises in a rural setting, like the towers out in Groruddalen. Then you get a very bad combo. The building is urban in that it holds many people, but there is absolutely nothing to do there. When I lived in DC, there were condos of 10-12-15 floors built as tight as Majorstua, which were excellent areas. With so many people, the street was alive with restaurants and culture. These condos also had a reception (G'd mooorning, sir! Enjoy your day), and a pool or at least a garden at the roof. With the amount of tenants, this didn't cost much per person. I haven't seen this model in Norway, yet. Building such areas around Økern and in the areas around Alna that are planned for conversion to apartments, you could easily fit many tens of thousands of people. New residential areas, like ensjøbyen etc, should have been built like this. Then people who wants it can still have their villas in the outskirts.

If Ringeriksbanen, Follobanen, and other projects in the sky, are built what is considered central will also expand. The state, as a large supplier of jobs, could also contribute. New police school could be placed in Akershus somewhere, the same with the continuous additions to the university. It will help doubly; free buildings for apartments, and allow people to live somewhere else. Not all jobs should be in downtown Oslo.
bookings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #119
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookings View Post
For instance, apartment blocks of 10 floors hold many more people than those with 4 floors. The mistake has been to build these highrises in a rural setting, like the towers out in Groruddalen. Then you get a very bad combo. The building is urban in that it holds many people, but there is absolutely nothing to do there. When I lived in DC, there were condos of 10-12-15 floors built as tight as Majorstua, which were excellent areas.
Kværnerbyen is quite similar to what you describe.
Old March 30th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #120
bookings

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
Kværnerbyen is quite similar to what you describe.
ok, more of that then

But, it should be built in larger scale, gridlike like Majorstua. And more floors. It seems like most of the highrise projects (with a few exceptions) are for offices, hotels, and museums. When the politicians finally force through some densification, it means building 3-floor blocks in the gardens of villas, which is bad for the people in villas and not much better for the new residents. Instead, build manhattan-style apartment blocks in central groruddalen without the 60s suburban no-mans land in between.
bookings no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
oslo