daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Completed Found urban images from all around the world not taken by you

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #1
pawel19-87

Likes (Received): 1082

COVENTRY - Ricoh Arena (32,609)

Coventry City FC

1x Cup:

http://www.ricoharena.com/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1gl/181756831/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harrier...ne/3167068399/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjsouthgate/475397592/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjsouthgate/475386904/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sypix/2685561680/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050618...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonasphoto/2454667469/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harrier...ne/3164041537/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23618732@N02/4230754693/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ynysfor...ck/3845706697/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildsnaps/4068681399/

alexandru.mircea, Sangnaris liked this post

Last edited by www.sercan.de; December 6th, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
pawel19-87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 133

A tad bit better than the walkers/st marys/ normal new builds in england, only due to the large gap between the back row and roof.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Steel City Suburb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #3
Mr. Fitz
Get Your Walk On Son!

Likes (Received): 2

Pity it's in such a bad location...
Mr. Fitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #4
ccfc-4-life
Play up Sky Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fitz View Post
Pity it's in such a bad location...
Have you even been to the stadium? Do you even know where it is located? Do you know what day it is today?

This is one of the best located stadiums in the UK. Right next to the M6 and M69, located at the heart of the country with almost every major city in England easily accessable within a 2-hour drive. 12 miles from BHX, 15(?) miles from East Midlands, Plenty of space for parking with multiple direct links to the city centre. There will also be a railway station added adjacent the arena allowing access from the city centre and the surrounding urban areas as well as other parts of the UK. Find me 10 English stadiums that match this or better it.

Last edited by ccfc-4-life; February 16th, 2010 at 11:29 PM.
ccfc-4-life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #5
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

calm down... you've just explained how good it is for everyone except people in Coventry without a car... Is there a train station near by?
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #6
ccfc-4-life
Play up Sky Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City Suburb View Post
A tad bit better than the walkers/st marys/ normal new builds in england, only due to the large gap between the back row and roof.
Yeah, but the gap between the roof and stands really does eliminate the atmosphere on match days, the noise just escapes the stadium and needs to be kept inside.

I'd say the stadium was a much better stadium than anything similar to its design, purely because of what the stadium has to offer. In terms of looks, it's nothing special. If only the stadium previously proposed for CCFC was built a few years before this one was built, it was a 45,000 seater stadium with a sliding roof and pitch.
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #7
ccfc-4-life
Play up Sky Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
calm down... you've just explained how good it is for everyone except people in Coventry without a car... Is there a train station near by?
I AM CALM!

There will be a station built soon and it will be right next to the arena. The station will allow access directly from the city centre and from nearby Bedworth and Nuneaton. I may was well add this to my previous post.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:36 PM   #8
3SPIRES

Likes (Received): 102

The Olympics come to Coventry!

Quote:
Coventry City named as Olympic football venue

Coventry City’s Ricoh Arena has been selected as the new Midlands venue for Olympic Football matches by the London 2012 Organising Committee (LOCOG).

As part of the deal the 32,000 seater ground will be temporarily re-named the City of Coventry Stadium and all branding will be removed for Olympic matches.

Coventry is the last venue to be announced by LOCOG after the original Midlands venue, Villa Park, had to be replaced due to planned development work.

Speaking of their selection Seb Coe, LOCOG Chairman, said: 'The City of Coventry Stadium is a great venue, and will be an excellent host for Football matches for the London 2012 Olympic Games. It is ideally located in the centre of England and the city already has strong links with London 2012. I congratulate Coventry and extend my thanks to all the Midlands clubs who applied to be a venue. All were a very good standard, and this shows the excellent standards of football stadia in this country'

Daniel Gidney, Chief Executive of the Ricoh Arena, said: 'We are looking forward enormously to staging Olympic football in Coventry. This is a great honour and we are proud to be involved with the Games. We have worked hard over the last few months to prepare our bid and I would like to thank all our partners and organisations involved for their support.'
http://www.footballtradedirectory.co...-football.html
3SPIRES no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #9
Mr Reasonable

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfc-4-life View Post
If only the stadium previously proposed for CCFC was built a few years before this one was built, it was a 45,000 seater stadium with a sliding roof and pitch.
The sliding pitch sliding roof stadium was utterly impractical, hugely expensive and a complete non starter. It was a poor design with lots of compromises to allow the pitch to slide in and out. This is a great example of a seven day a week, flexible, multi use venue.
Mr Reasonable no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 627

Congratulations on Coventry's Ricoh Arena being the new Midlands venue for the Football Tournament of the Games of the XXX Olympiad. Its quality is higher than that of Villa Park, though its capacity is 10,000 seats lower.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #11
RobH

Likes (Received): 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Congratulations on Coventry's Ricoh Arena being the new Midlands venue for the Football Tournament of the Games of the XXX Olympiad. Its quality is higher than that of Villa Park, though its capacity is 10,000 seats lower.
You've changed your tune since last year!

"If the football tournament goes on without Villa Park, it will be a regrettable mistake by the Organising Committee."

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topi...ost__p__213978
RobH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #12
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 627

Sir, please...I don't even want to look at theis thread.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #13
MS20

What a pity City aren't performing on the pitch. Stadium would be a great addition to the Premier League.
MS20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #14
Zeno2

Nice stadium but the main stand doesn't match. I wonder what is behind the huge white wall. It looks like a Ricoh copier depot.
Zeno2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:36 PM   #15
Luka Loopy

Likes (Received): 1

Decent enough stadium - one of the better generic single bowl sradiums. Shame Coventry had to move away from highfield road though. I liked that stadium.

What is tha large ajoined building?
Luka Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #16
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Reasonable View Post
The sliding pitch sliding roof stadium was utterly impractical, hugely expensive and a complete non starter. It was a poor design with lots of compromises to allow the pitch to slide in and out. This is a great example of a seven day a week, flexible, multi use venue.
Have any plans of that stadium at all ? Would like to know what it looks like
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #17
CovAD

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka Loopy View Post
Decent enough stadium - one of the better generic single bowl sradiums. Shame Coventry had to move away from highfield road though. I liked that stadium.

What is tha large ajoined building?
Exhibition hall/performance venue, corporate entertaining, small hotel and dining facilities.

I've noticed the outside of the stadium is starting to look a bit dirty now though.
CovAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #18
PrevaricationComplex
Inselaffe

Likes (Received): 1305

Public funding.

Can't approve of that at all. If it were up to me, all Whitehall departments would cut funding to Coventry to match the cost of this stadium. If you have that much money to waste, you can find the Whitehall shortfall.

I really hate this as a trend, started with Galpharm. pretty soon we'll be like the States just handing out free money to rich bastards.

Sorry to rain on your parade but what really irks me is how this trend has managed to just creep up on us without any real discussion on why the public should be building these things.
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #19
CovAD

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrevaricationComplex View Post
Public funding.

Can't approve of that at all. If it were up to me, all Whitehall departments would cut funding to Coventry to match the cost of this stadium. If you have that much money to waste, you can find the Whitehall shortfall.

I really hate this as a trend, started with Galpharm. pretty soon we'll be like the States just handing out free money to rich bastards.

Sorry to rain on your parade but what really irks me is how this trend has managed to just creep up on us without any real discussion on why the public should be building these things.
Point number one - Coventry City don't own the stadium - its jointly owned by the Alan Higgs Trust and ACL Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of the council. Therefore the money made by the arena partly goes back to the council. If CCFC want to own the place they've got to pay for it.

Secondly, its been well proven that productivity, well-being and general confidence in an area is much higher when the local football team(s) are doing well, so this money could in fact help the city/region economy overall

Thirdly, I notice you're from Manchester, so to whinge about receiving public funding when you're from a place that was rebuilt largely using public funds and one of whose football teams has a publicly funded stadium is really rather rich don't you think?
CovAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #20
PrevaricationComplex
Inselaffe

Likes (Received): 1305

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovAD View Post
Point number one - Coventry City don't own the stadium - its jointly owned by the Alan Higgs Trust and ACL Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of the council. Therefore the money made by the arena partly goes back to the council. If CCFC want to own the place they've got to pay for it.

Secondly, its been well proven that productivity, well-being and general confidence in an area is much higher when the local football team(s) are doing well, so this money could in fact help the city/region economy overall

Thirdly, I notice you're from Manchester, so to whinge about receiving public funding when you're from a place that was rebuilt largely using public funds and one of whose football teams has a publicly funded stadium is really rather rich don't you think?
1. That's a bit of a red herring, of course the city are going to own the damn thing that's the fig leaf used to demonstrate its somehow for the public good. In effect, in practice, in reality a 99yr [or whatever] lease and owning the stadium are pretty much the same thing.

a) Lets see 'em.
B) Not made a case for publicly funded stadia, just a good team.
c) a rather dodgy looking stadium (if it was a great piece of art i wouldn't be too bothered given how depressing the rest of the built environment is) and a supermarket (more free money to rich ****ers, a particularly venal bunch of rich ****ers to boot) helps the economy? tangential benefits at best. And to help the economy if this is the best idea you can up with... well, maybe that's the bigger problem. Off the top of my head... i don't know maybe capital in exchange for mutualisation or part mutualisation of jaguar when they had problems. It depresses me that this is the sorta thing we spend money on these days instead of free higher education and giving the longbridge boys a reprieve.

3. ah i see, i love how parochial we are. Maybe you should calm down first. if i need to take some of the blame for that then so be it, but its hard to get the tone right.
a) You referring to after the bombing?
b) again i love the parochialism. i don't like that the fact that they get a free council house either, why would hypocrisy be the first thing you assume.