daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2012, 05:28 PM   #181
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I'm not an expert. But what you describe sounds pretty common. It's kind of a negotiation process as the project team tries to marry their own goals with the DRB's preferences, and meanwhile design is progressing...
Just all a little odd.

Europa Motors (or similar named) just moved into the space at 801 Dexter and moving from 717 Dexter to make way for THAT apartment building. I guess it looks temporary as far as a set up at 801, but strange that they would do so knowing that in 6 months or so, they would be moving yet again.
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 10th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #182
CityView Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
Drove by this site today. Interior demolition appears underway and fences are going up.
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #183
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 628

Oooh, that's great news. I like the new SLU core but it needs more housing mixed in. Hope it's starting.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #184
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Oooh, that's great news. I like the new SLU core but it needs more housing mixed in. Hope it's starting.
Not too familiar with all the construction related permits, but best I can tell, they got their Demolition permit on the 6th. So thats at least going forward. Dunno bout the construction permit tho?

Land use: http://web1.seattle.gov/DPD/permitst...spx?id=3007906
Construction: http://web1.seattle.gov/DPD/permitst...spx?id=6286283 (been accepted?)
Demo: http://web1.seattle.gov/DPD/permitst...spx?id=6292268

Design review doc show a 7 story building. Limit for wood frame is 5 floors, yes? are they doing 5 on 2, or is this actually going to be reinforced concrete?

The French are the chefs
The Italians are the lovers
The British are the police
The Germans are the mechanics
And the Swiss make everything run on time

Hell is Where:

The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police
BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #185
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 628

Permits are usually phased. Demo is sometimes done early so it's not a variable when construction wants to start, but it's still usually attached loosely to the overall schedule. Next they might get an excavation and shoring permit. That lets them finish the building design a little later and permit that separately.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #186
benleis

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Permits are usually phased. Demo is sometimes done early so it's not a variable when construction wants to start, but it's still usually attached loosely to the overall schedule. Next they might get an excavation and shoring permit. That lets them finish the building design a little later and permit that separately.
Obviously development is determined by who owns what but I have to admit I would have expected the lots north of the park to get redeveloped first before this site. They seem so much more potentially desirable.

Ben
benleis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #187
CityView Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
Obviously development is determined by who owns what but I have to admit I would have expected the lots north of the park to get redeveloped first before this site. They seem so much more potentially desirable.

Ben
My belief is a wait-and-see mode anticipating changes in height and zoning. There may be a lot of behind the scenes happenings we are unaware of. I'm sure there will be something dramatic on the horizon though. Just one chance to get it right!
Old February 12th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #188
meku

Likes (Received): 55

What CityView Jim said.
meku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #189
CityView Jim

Dexter Updates: 717 Dexter has a tower crane stump in place. 901 Dexter framing started yesterday. This project is moving along quickly. Move-ins are scheduled to start in October. Just amazing.

Looking for more news on 801 Dexter. Last I heard was that construction (assumably demolition of existing) will start in June. Anyone have anything more current?
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #190
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityView Jim View Post
Dexter Updates: 717 Dexter has a tower crane stump in place. 901 Dexter framing started yesterday. This project is moving along quickly. Move-ins are scheduled to start in October. Just amazing.

Looking for more news on 801 Dexter. Last I heard was that construction (assumably demolition of existing) will start in June. Anyone have anything more current?
Nope. Its due for recommendation design review in March, but no docs up yet.

The French are the chefs

Hell is Where:

The Swiss are the lovers
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #191
Vashon118
Bus & ferry dude

Likes (Received): 679

Fence going up at 420 Pontius Ave N.
Vashon118 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #192
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 1273

Quote:

I've got a DJC article from Ocotber 2011 that talks about a project at 1319 Dexter. The text is pasted below:

300 apartments on Dexter for Holland

By LYNN PORTER
Journal Staff Reporter

Holland Partners is staking out what would be its fourth apartment project along Dexter Avenue North in South Lake Union. This time it's a seven-story, 300-unit complex.

Holland has been busy in Seattle. Besides its Dexter Avenue projects, it has under construction a 237-unit apartment complex on Seattle's First Hill. The 17-story project at 1200 Madison St. is the first new high-rise apartment building on First Hill in about 30 years.

Parsons said Dexter is a major bus and bicycle corridor with retail along it, and there is "2 or 3 million" square feet of office space in the Dexter Avenue North cooridor and nearby Fremont. "You're putting housing right in the middle of a major employment center," Parsons said. "It seems like a good idea."

Seattle apartment market analyst Mike Scott said Dexter Avenue North straddles two neighborhoods: Queen Anne (with a 3.6 percent apartment vacancy) and South Lake Union (with 4.7 percent).

The average rent in South Lake Union is $1,568, up 7.8 percent over a year ago, and in Queen Anne it is $1,166, a 2.8 percent increase, according to Scott, a principal with Dupre + Scott.

South Lake Union has the Amazon.com campus and lots of growth, and nearby is the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation headquarters, which is "all positive" for the apartment sector, he said.

"I think there is a reasonable expectation that growth will continue in that area, so Dexter is pretty well poised for that market," Scott said.

The firm filed plans with the city of Seattle for the project at 1319 Dexter Ave. N. About 3,000 square feet of retail space and 215 parking stalls are included.

Tom Parsons, COO with Holland's development division, said the firm is in preliminary due diligence on the site, which is owned by a limited liability company with Russell W. Keyes as manager.

"We don't know how feasible it is and the process we have to go through takes quite a bit of time," he said.

The Vancouver-based developer likes Dexter Avenue North. It has under construction 284 apartment units at 901 Dexter Ave. N. and plans to start building another 101 units at 717 Dexter Ave. N. this week. Holland and Opus Northwest also developed and then sold in 2004 the 201-unit Dexter Apartments, also on that street.
Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #193
CityView Jim

Crane went up today on 717 Dexter Ave. N
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:10 PM   #194
CityView Jim

Upcoming final design review revision for 801 Dexter Ave. N. Wow! What an improvement!!! This will be one of the nicest projects on Dexter. They've totally redone this project from a boring overly monotonous full-block project to a much broken up almost village-like design. Color, variation, scale all works!!

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID3479.pdf
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:23 PM   #195
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Upcoming final design review revision for 801 Dexter Ave. N. Wow! What an improvement!!! This will be one of the nicest projects on Dexter. They've totally redone this project from a boring overly monotonous full-block project to a much broken up almost village-like design. Color, variation, scale all works!!

Earlier today it linked to the 3rd ave W project. I was a little disappointed.

Opinions on the technicolor palate?

The French are the chefs

Hell is Where:

The Swiss are the lovers
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:43 PM   #196
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 1273

Quote:

Brace yourself for all the color-phobes whining about how colorful this project is.

As if Seattle needs another beige or blue glass building........
Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:47 PM   #197
BoulderGrad

1201 Mercer is up too:
http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID3480.pdf

Edit:
I'm liking that both projects are light on the retail, and going with townhouse units.

The French are the chefs

Hell is Where:

The Swiss are the lovers
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:49 PM   #198
LCIII

Likes (Received): 696

I don't mind color. I think in this case it will look dated almost immediately but then again Weber Thompson are hardly known for their timeless designs.

I think it's fine overall. Nothing really exciting but not bad either.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:53 PM   #199
CityView Jim

Its good to take in all three neighboring projects as a context. They all work well together and it tones down the overall 'colorfulness' of 801 specific.

I do wish they would have gotten rid of the power/telephone poles on Valley (included in all renderings).
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #200
meku

Likes (Received): 55

1201 Mercer is a pretty decent design; I usually like Ankrom Moisan's work. As for 801 Dexter... holly ******* Easter Egg hunt.
meku no está en línea   Reply With Quote