daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 11:32 AM   #81
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondonel View Post
I agree that in US old downtowns were lost to neglect, including that of Detroit. Nevertheless this is not the reason why Detroit city proper had a half a century of decline. The decline was a direct consequence of the boom economy set up in the 30s for the war effort and the subsequent bust in late 40s. During these years Detroit doubled its population (from 1 to 2 millions) with labor from south. Then, in late 40s, these people were laid off. All the cheap living and working infrastructure created for the war effort crumbled soon after and it could not sustain a community. These are the 'real' ruins of Detroit.

Today, Detroit is back to prewar population, and about 1/3 of the city proper is abandoned - a massive clean-up is required. So far there was neither the funds required nor the population support for such an effort. Lately though, there seems to be a broad agreement that a clean-up is a prerequisite for further re-development.

Thank you for the interesting discussion
First of all, very nice pictures of some suburban areas of Detroit, as some said before, is the other face of Detroit.

But as I understand the decline of Detroit City proper is consequence of various factors.
Detroit was (and still is to some degree) the center of the automotive industry in the US, and concentrated most of it. But after the war, that industry began to relocate to different areas of the country and even overseas, besides, it also began to enter competency from abroad (Europe and Japan). All that diminish the importance of Detroit in the automative industry but it remained as an important place for that industry whatsoever. But also happened that the industry that remain in Detroit, began to relocate to the suburbs, leaving the old factories abandoned.
Another thing, was a phenomenon common to many cities in the US, the flight to the suburbs, the so-called "white flight" when the middle class began to move to the suburbs after the war.
All that started a spiral of decline that lasts until today. The city, as a metropolitan area, did not lose population, it continued to grow until the seventies, but it moved from the city to the suburbs instead. After the seventies the population of the metropolitan area did get stagnant, but the city proper continued to lose population to the suburbs.
Although Downtown Detroit lost some of its importance and some buildings on it got abandoned, the Downtown remained as the main center of Detroit (recently some of the derelict buildings have been recuperated)
The worst part was suffered by some neighborhoods, adyacent to the downtown, that were progressively depopulated, leaving even schools closed and deserted since there were almost no kids left to go to them. The images of those neighborhoods are some of the worst that we see, and I think the ones that contributed the most to give that imagen of ruin and derelict of Detroit.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #82
Dondonel

Likes (Received): 35

Dondonel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #83
Dondonel

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #84
Dondonel

Old October 25th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #85
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43410

Beautiful autumnal colours. My favourite time of year.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #86
Expat

Likes (Received): 13

I love the leafy neighborhoods. Especially this time of year.
Expat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #87
Dondonel

Some evening shots

Old October 25th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #88
Dondonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
I love the leafy neighborhoods. Especially this time of year.
I love it too a Saturday morning walk in a nice neighborhood with lots of greenery ..
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #89
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

I think there is a lot of confusion on this thread between the city of Detroit and the Detroit metro area which confuses foreign readers. I can explain it more later but suffice it to say that the city of Liverpool and the city of Detroit have next to nothing in common. And any Liverpudlian who visited Detroit thinking they were similar would be likely to have some very unpleasant experiences.

For what the city of Detroit is like you can browse here:

http://detroiturbex.com/

I am also surprised that for a thread on Detroit the best city promo video done EVER hasn't come up - the Superbowl Chrysler "Imported from Detroit" commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKL254Y_jtc

Every other city in America can only drool with envy over that commercial.

Dondonel thanks for the great thread and pictures.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #90
CCs77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
I think there is a lot of confusion on this thread between the city of Detroit and the Detroit metro area which confuses foreign readers. I can explain it more later but suffice it to say that the city of Liverpool and the city of Detroit have next to nothing in common. And any Liverpudlian who visited Detroit thinking they were similar would be likely to have some very unpleasant experiences.
Exactly. To illustrate what happened in Detroit is good to see some population figures.
By 1900 the city of Detroit had 285,704 residents while Metro Detroit had 542,452 (although I guess by then the sorrounding cities were much less linked to Detroit and had a more rural caracter)
In the next thirty years Detroit experienced its major growth in population. By 1930 Detroit had 1,568,662 people and Metro Detroit 2,325,739.
Then by 1950 the population growth in Detroit slowed and reached 1,849,568 residents. Metro Detroit began accelarating its growth to 3,219,256.
Since 1950, the population of the city of Detroit began to shrink and by 1970 it went to 1,514,063 while the population of the Metro Area continued to grow and reached 4,490,902 inhabitants, that was the peak for Metro Detroit.
Since 1970 I guess the changes in the automotive industry became more evident and the population of the Metro Area stabilized. By 2010 it had a slight decline to 4,296,250, but in those years the city proper accentuate its population loss and by 2010 it had only 713,777 people, which is less than it had by 1920. So as the whole metro area slightly lose population betweem 1970 and 2010 the suburban areas had a net gain of 605,286 residents.

1900 285,704 542,452
1930 1,568,662 2,325,739
1950 1,849,568 3,219,256
1970 1,514,063 4,490,902
2010 713,777 4,296,250

So what happened is that the City of Detroit suffered a major shift in its population to the suburbs, but also of the industry, leaving abandoned housing, schools, streets, businesses and factories.
But not all areas of Detroit proper suffered blight. Midtown, for example, as shown here by Dondonel is not blighted, while the downtown has seen improvements in the last years.

I think it is ironic that the success of the car industry that made the Motown, Detroit, later was a major factor that make possible the flight to the suburbs and the consequent decline of the city it had built.

Quote:
For what the city of Detroit is like you can browse here:

http://detroiturbex.com/
Very good link
Old October 25th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #91
CCs77

Quote:

I am also surprised that for a thread on Detroit the best city promo video done EVER hasn't come up - the Superbowl Chrysler "Imported from Detroit" commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKL254Y_jtc

Every other city in America can only drool with envy over that commercial.

Dondonel thanks for the great thread and pictures.
And very good commercial too
Old October 25th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #92
Dondonel

CCs77, 600West218,

Thank you for giving this thread perspective. I agree with you both that there is confusion between metro Detroit and Detroit city (proper). Metro Detroit has always been a very good area to live and raise a family, whereas Detroit city has suffered a lot in the past 50 years. Perhaps the time has come to reclaim the city

btw, that is one awesome ad

Last edited by Dondonel; October 25th, 2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old October 26th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #93
Dondonel

Old October 26th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #94
openlyJane
Human Being

What I see in Detroit proper - makes me mad, furious!

The vagaries of capitalism have undermined and destroyed so many communities, and blighted so many lives.

The fantastic buildings, architecture & the lives & livelihoods of millions of people have just been left to rot - because the capitalist economic model is beholden to nothing except 'market forces'.( that means - profits for shareholders above all else!)
Old October 26th, 2011, 02:42 AM   #95
Expat

Likes (Received): 13

I love that Chrysler commercial. I nearly cried when I first saw it!
Expat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #96
Dondonel

Old October 26th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #97
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

Beautiful pictures, thanks.
lafreak84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #98
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19418

I love Detroit, I've always been obsessed about Detroit and I shall visit (maybe live in) Detroit someday!

About the thread, the pics are magical! Amazing work, Dondonel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
What I see in Detroit proper - makes me mad, furious!

The vagaries of capitalism have undermined and destroyed so many communities, and blighted so many lives.

The fantastic buildings, architecture & the lives & livelihoods of millions of people have just been left to rot - because the capitalist economic model is beholden to nothing except 'market forces'.( that means - profits for shareholders above all else!)
But it was the capitalism who built Detroit and Liverpool on the first place.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #99
Dondonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
I love Detroit, I've always been obsessed about Detroit and I shall visit (maybe live in) Detroit someday!

Thanks Yuri

I have seen your thread on Detroit on the Brazilian subforum - if you think there is interest in it you can repost any of the pictures from this thread onto your own thread. I would have done it myself if I knew Portuguese

Come visit Detroit! especially if you like cars, you'll have plenty to see.
Old October 26th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #100
openlyJane
Human Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post

But it was the capitalism who built Detroit and Liverpool on the first place.

Yes, this is true - but the nature of today's capitalism is a lot more cut-throat.

In Victorian Liverpool, some of the wealthiest were also great philanthropists.

Tags
detroit