daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #21
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

First time here...

Delta Airlines B737-900ER (reg. N813DN)

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #22
Chauncey87

Likes (Received): 25

With regards to the interest shown by international airlines in a post over on the Minneapolis Development forum. I thought I would ask my question here. As far as I can tell the capacity for large wide body jets seems small in comparison to just your average gate the airport has so many of. I can only think of the G concourse that seems only able to accommodate one maybe two 747's at one time or any other jet needing a duel jet way. Are these airlines asking for an expanded gate area with extra jet ways to handle dare I say an A380 or B747 before they commit? What are they wanting to hear?

If anyone interested in Minneapolis construction wants to join the conversation* I will link it below.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...03462&page=238

*Please whatever you do try to post on topic. Let us try and keep it all about the buildings.

maxbaby liked this post
Chauncey87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:05 AM   #23
bewilder2

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
that pic is definitely not MSP. A concourse borders the inbound road to the terminal, and thus gates are on only one side of it. And B concourse isn't that wide. (not to mention all the gates are of A designator)
bewilder2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #24
Benn

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauncey87 View Post
With regards to the interest shown by international airlines in a post over on the Minneapolis Development forum. I thought I would ask my question here. As far as I can tell the capacity for large wide body jets seems small in comparison to just your average gate the airport has so many of. I can only think of the G concourse that seems only able to accommodate one maybe two 747's at one time or any other jet needing a duel jet way. Are these airlines asking for an expanded gate area with extra jet ways to handle dare I say an A380 or B747 before they commit? What are they wanting to hear?

Delta (as well as the local business community) definitely want a new international facility on the Lindbergh Terminal which would seem likely to handle 8-12 widebody jets simultaneously up from it's current 4 (and about 20 total gates for international traffic including narrowbody gates) according to the master plans they have done over the few years. They also definitely want Humphrey expanded so the can push every one else over there and make Lindbergh an exclusive use terminal.
Here is one of their comprehensive plans with lots of master planning drawings:
http://www.mspairport.com/docs/about...TCP-Draft.aspx

As far as VLA usage it doesn't seem particularly likely, we may see the Delta 747-400s on the Tokyo route during the next couple years but they are being put out to pasture. Air France is unlikely to send anything bigger than an a350/772 for any reason, Delta has no interest in VLAs and if that Korean Air route to Seoul ever materializes it's probably going to be a an a330/787 sort of plane. I doubt we ever see regular a380 traffic, as long as the new terminal can handle everything up to a 777-9 that ought to have it covered but one gate built to handle a380s might not be a bad idea just in case.

maxbaby, brewerfan386 liked this post
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:51 AM   #25
Chauncey87

Thank you Benn for your well thought your response. While the 777 is a very large jet. To me it just doesn't compare to the double deck a 747 or 380. I also agree having at least one gate to handle the 380 wouldn't be such a bad idea.

maxbaby liked this post
Old December 28th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #26
emcee squared

Likes (Received): 47

Howdy. My photo. Not taken at MSP, but an amazing aircraft that makes the occasional journey and that we need to see more of at our fine airport:

emcee squared no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 07:40 AM   #27
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1053

Delta is hiring 400 new flight attendants for the MSP base. New routes include MSP-Shanghai.

maxbaby, DerekM liked this post
Avian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #28
achybo

Likes (Received): 1737

Metropolitan Airports Commission releasing RFP for MSP airport hotel

Quote:
The Metropolitan Airports Commission this week is releasing a request for proposals for a full-service hotel at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.
Finance & Commerce has a report on the RFP, which includes a mandatory pre-proposal conference Dec. 4 at the MSP Airport Conference Center. Proposals are due Dec. 18.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie...g-rfp-for.html
achybo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #29
maxbaby

Likes (Received): 31

Avian, do you know if new flights will begin to Beijing or Seoul? I'm actually surprised Delta uses Detroit as an international hub instead of MSP. I would think MSP would have more business ventures abroad. It would be nice to see Delta bring the international hub from DTW to MSP. One can dream.
maxbaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #30
bewilder2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbaby View Post
Avian, do you know if new flights will begin to Beijing or Seoul? I'm actually surprised Delta uses Detroit as an international hub instead of MSP. I would think MSP would have more business ventures abroad. It would be nice to see Delta bring the international hub from DTW to MSP. One can dream.
It's actually the other way. With its auto traffic, DTW has way more international demand, while MSP's demand is primarily domestic. Target, Best Buy, Cargill, etc are much more heavily weighted toward US side of things. Obviously they do travel outside the U.S., but they are not entrenched in the world scene as Ford/GM are.

It may not be as sexy as having the big planes DTW does, but the diversified economy MSP has helps ensure a very well balanced and stable domestic hub.

maxbaby, FoxRogue liked this post
Old December 28th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #31
maxbaby

Likes (Received): 31

If that is true about MSP being a more domestic hub then it sure would be nice to see JetBlue or Allegiant start service here. I wonder if the lack of gates at MSP are holding back additional flights to/from the airport. Current airlines or airlines seeking to start service. If that's the case. BUILD BUILD BUILD!!!
maxbaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #32
Chauncey87

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Howdy. My photo. Not taken at MSP, but an amazing aircraft that makes the occasional journey and that we need to see more of at our fine airport:

Is that only an MD10 or 11? It looks like a wide body from below. If you want to see more 10's or 11's just roll over to the cargo side of the airport. I see that type of aircraft everyday Mon-Fri. Even got to enjoy a Atlas Air 747 UPS brought in for about a week right before Christmas.

emcee squared liked this post
Old December 28th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #33
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewilder2 View Post
that pic is definitely not MSP. A concourse borders the inbound road to the terminal, and thus gates are on only one side of it. And B concourse isn't that wide. (not to mention all the gates are of A designator)
Thanks for pointing that out. Anyways I already deleted the image.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #34
shakman

Location: PRMD - People's Republic of Maryland (via Richmond, VA)
Likes (Received): 398

Quote:
Pre-merger, DTW already had a very well establish Northwest hub.

"Followers do what is normal; leaders set examples"

-sb
shakman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #35
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
Delta is hiring 400 new flight attendants for the MSP base. New routes include MSP-Shanghai.
Do you have a source?
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #36
Benn

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
If that is true about MSP being a more domestic hub then it sure would be nice to see JetBlue or Allegiant start service here. I wonder if the lack of gates at MSP are holding back additional flights to/from the airport. Current airlines or airlines seeking to start service. If that's the case. BUILD BUILD BUILD!!!
There is a lack of gates at the Humphrey Terminal, which is where JetBlue would likely operate if they ever do make it into the market (seems like every year we hear they are coming and have yet to). Allegiant on the other hand seems unlikely to get into the MSP market at all; their bread and butter is connecting under served markets with vacation markets and that would be duplicative of Sun Country's function in Minneapolis not to mention Delta also flies many of the same routes. JetBlue (and less likely but hopefully Virgin America) service seems likely at some point, but Allegiant's business model is much better suited to the likes of Appleton WI, Des Moines IA or Grand Rapids MI than competing in a well served market that's a hub for two carriers like MSP.

Delta is still trying to get the exclusive rights to Lindbergh that Northwest always wanted, so it's not short on domestic gates although a couple concourses could do with a renovation and a new, larger international facility would be a really good thing. But additional domestic gates are probably just going to be at Humphrey.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #37
matt91486

Likes (Received): 12

I can see why Delta would want exclusive rights obviously, but given that there is a fair amount of dead space at Lindbergh right now, it seems like a bad idea to give in to that request. There's plenty of space for the one gate Jet Blue would likely need.
matt91486 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #38
bewilder2

Quote:
Is that only an MD10 or 11? It looks like a wide body from below. If you want to see more 10's or 11's just roll over to the cargo side of the airport. I see that type of aircraft everyday Mon-Fri. Even got to enjoy a Atlas Air 747 UPS brought in for about a week right before Christmas.
It's a 767 or 777, and I believe the latter.

Giveaways:
You can see ATL concourse behind it (so definitely pax aircraft)
Delta painted on tow, blue engines and blue underbelly (can see it turns to white on left side of fuselage.)
I believe I see three pairs of tires on main left landing gear, which would mean 777. (767 only has two pairs per)

emcee squared liked this post
Old December 31st, 2014, 06:35 PM   #39
emcee squared

Quote:
B772LR taken in the evening at ATL right before push. I have many more photos, but am not really allowed to post them.
Old December 31st, 2014, 06:37 PM   #40
emcee squared

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewilder2 View Post
It's a 767 or 777, and I believe the latter.

Giveaways:
You can see ATL concourse behind it (so definitely pax aircraft)
Delta painted on tow, blue engines and blue underbelly (can see it turns to white on left side of fuselage.)
I believe I see three pairs of tires on main left landing gear, which would mean 777. (767 only has two pairs per)
It also has 767,777, A330 painted on the tow bar.

Tags
minneapolis, minnesota, northamerica airport hubs, st. paul, us airports