daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2011, 04:17 AM   #1
hauchyi

Likes (Received): 3

Beijing from above

All pictures are mine. They were taken during the Oct 1 holiday (China's national day).

I've been living in Beijing for more than a year now. This city is definitely the most pleasant Chinese city I've ever stayed.

Forbidden Palace, at the center of the city, taken from the World Trade Center of China, with the west side of the city dominated by the Beijing TV Tower. The lake by the forbidden city is the headquarter of the communist party.. :shrug:

The south side:
Altar of Heaven really is not that big a structure. I was disappointed standing in front of it... The dome behind the altar of heaven is Beijing South Station where all high-speed rail trains stop.

South-west side with the view of TianAnMen Square in the upper half of the picture: The avenue is ChangAn Avenue, the main east-west fair thoroughfare. Beijing main station is in the center of the picture. There are at least four main railway stations in the city going to every part of the country.

The north-west side:
The lake in the picture is the famous Houhai (Rear Sea). The two Chinese towers in the middle are the bell and drum towers from left to right (north to south). As you can see, the old Beijing is literally surrounded on four sides by a new city. If you look closely, the building in the far end marks the tallest building in Haidian, where the summer palace is. It is about 15km (and 30min on subway) from the center.

North-east side:
The most trendy part of BJ.. Sanlitun and worker's stadium. It feels more like a China town with foreigners (mostly White guys) hanging out everywhere.

Altar of Sun (Ritan) park: Many countries have their embassies by the Ritan park. The yellow building with a swimming pool is UK's embassy.

The shadow of the WTC of China pointing at Ritan Park.

More to come..

Last edited by hauchyi; October 17th, 2011 at 03:17 AM.
hauchyi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Pistolero
Le vil rosse

Likes (Received): 2383

Nice pics !
Pistolero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #3
thoju75
DAMNED

Thanks for the pics ! Beijing is indeed a really pleasant city to live in.
I can see my former flat !
thoju75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #4
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43421

I imagine that most people in Beijing live in apartments?

What are the residential suburbs like?
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #5
HKG

Likes (Received): 3499

Fantastic!
HKG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #6
hauchyi

CCTV Building

In case you are wondering, I took all these pictures in the WTC of China (on the 74th floor in a Shangri La hotel room). It is currently the tallest building in Beijing and locates in the CBD area of Beijing.

CCTV - China's official TV station that young people rare watch. The shorter building under construction is the famously torched Oriental Mandarin Hotel that was burned down during a firework show during one of the Chinese New Year.

Government architects concluded that the fire only torched the interior deco, and the structure is still safe. As a result, only the facade needs to be replaced. Living in China for too long, I don't think I will ever stay in that hotel when it opens.

CCTV at night:

The CBD Area: This is where most foreign companies locate. There are two important business districts in Beijing. Financial street to the west (you can see it in one of the above pictures right in front of the TV Tower). CBD to the east.

As you can see, CBD is still bustling with all the new constructions.

Last edited by hauchyi; October 17th, 2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old October 16th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #7
hauchyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
I imagine that most people in Beijing live in apartments?

What are the residential suburbs like?
In Asian cities, people mostly live in the city. So many of the buildings you saw in the pictures are indeed condos.

Given the real estate bubble currently going on in China, especially Beijing, there are not many low-rises residential buildings. They are just too cost prohibitive.
Old October 16th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #8
null
Mind Reader

Likes (Received): 1023

Beijing, a pleasant city to live in? OMG?!?
null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #9
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244609

Great, very nice photos from Beijing; well done
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #10
èđđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1979

Does Beijing have a height restriction on buildings? The city isn't all razzle dazzle from above, but I think it looks nice. Lots of greenery too. It should stay that way.

and the air in some of your shots looks very clean.
Old October 17th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #11
lezgotolondon
Pescara Über Alles

Likes (Received): 1626

I like all the green areas, a lot more than shangai, I don't like all these residential buildings, too high too near in some areas, but all that green helps a lot!

The CCTV building is amazing, in some photos looks like a render!
lezgotolondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #12
hauchyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by èđđeůx View Post
Does Beijing have a height restriction on buildings? The city isn't all razzle dazzle from above, but I think it looks nice. Lots of greenery too. It should stay that way.

and the air in some of your shots looks very clean.
I am sure there is a restriction of 9m around the Forbidden City. There is another restriction of 90m (but I can't find the source) within the second ring road (the old city wall). Beyond that, there is no restriction.

The so-called CBD is by the east third ring road. There are many talks of building another 300+ or 400+ building in that area.
Old October 17th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #13
hauchyi

Went to the CCTV Tower for Beijing skyline:

This is the tower:

The tower has an outdoor observatory deck at 238m in the sky. Ticket price is only 75 RMB. If you want to go, though, be prepared for lots of local tourists that may surprise you.

Skyline of the east side: the weather is fantastic. It's mostly sunny with periodic clouds providing fantastic shadows. This view faces east (the Chaoyang borough) with the forbidden city in the shadow.

Skyscraper fans' wet dream: the city actually has already grown a quite decent skyline:

A longer version:

Summer Palace and Jade Spring Mountain are located at the northwest side of the city. This area is historically the summer resort of the Qing emperors. Even now, the jade spring mountain (the hill with a pagoda) still houses the villas of the communist party officials.

The river in the bottom half of the picture provides water to every single park in Beijing. In the old days, the empress dowager (Cixi) would go to the summer palace by boat from the Beijing Zoo near XiZiMen

Speaking of XiZhiMen, Xi means "west", Zhi is "straight", and Men is "gate" in Chinese). It is called the straight gate not because old Chinese people wanted to make their sexuality clear (actually it is quite common for higher society Chinese to have gay lovers), but because there is a straight road within the old city connecting XiZhiMen and DongZhiMen (Dong means east in Chinese).

The three identical oval shaped building is where the old XiZhiMen located. Now it is another train station and an important transportation hub with several subway lines intersect.
The green area beside XiZhiMen is the zoo. It has been there since Qing dynasty, when it housed animals given by then China's affiliated countries.

XiZhiMen closeup:
Old October 17th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #14
DarkLite
vital

Likes (Received): 15996

Beijing looks spectacularly clean and modern. Very organized from above. Thanks for the positive impressions, the photos are amazing!
DarkLite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #15
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

Nice shots....
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:36 AM   #16
CheeseTree
Daydreamer

Likes (Received): 21

These photos are awesome
I shall be there one day soon.
CheeseTree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:55 AM   #17
hauchyi

South side

Pano of the southwest side looking southeast:
Saved for the important buildings along the ChangAn Street (the East-west thoroughfare of the central Beijing), south side is generally a poorer area of Beijing.

Beijing West Station, built in 1996. Beijing West Station used to be the largest station in the city, until the new Beijing South Station, opened in 2008, took its crown.

This area is said to be the lowest area in Beijing. It has a serious flood problem. In the short year that I've been living here, it has been flooded twice.
Many buildings built in the 1990s have a what locals call "Chinese hat." It is enforced by the then mayor (who was later put into prison for 16 years for corruption).

The soviet-era building is the national military museum, a boring/bizzare/lots of propaganda/cool place that I hope one day Chinese can laugh about.
The big modern building to its left is the Ministry of National Defense, a place that is not marked on Chinese map.
I am not sure if you've notcied the round structure by the lake with a niddle pointing towards the sky. It's the China Millennium Monument (or Altar of the New Millennium), built in 2000. Don't go there even though some tourist books recommend. It's boring with nothing to see (but a cool place to take picture of the ginormous west station).

That boring tall, white builing to the right of the National Military Museum is the old CCTV Headquarter. Speaking of improvement of office space....

In the center of the picture, the modern Chinese building is the Ministry of Finance of China. It was supposedly built in the early days of the PRC. Of course, one can't ignore the egg shaped building in the upper part of the picture, the national center for the performing arts.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #18
NEWWORLD

Likes (Received): 87

Beijing is awesome! great pics

Отац Тадеј
NEWWORLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #19
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3253

DAMN! Does Beijing have more than 20 million people yet?
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 12:07 AM   #20
peacedot

Likes (Received): 1

Beijing is huge.