daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #21
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Agreed, let's keep them separate. It's a good way to not let Sacramento's system get buried by BART, Muni, and VTA news.
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #22
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
That's beyond ridiculous. There is a direct rail and/or bus link between most of the system in the U.S., if not the world. Let this thread be.
I'm not interested in taking this any further, so I'm just going to leave it to the mods to decide what they want to do with thread. Though I maintain my opposition for this thread, I will no longer post here.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #23
schweitzerdude

Likes (Received): 0

IMO, number of posts should not determine whether to combine a city with the nearest larger city. By that logic, Portland, OR, USA, which does not get a lot of posts, should be combined with Seattle, WA, USA. I don't think so.

I lived in Sacramento for a number of years and we never considered ourselves part of the Bay Area.
schweitzerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #24
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5756

Sacramento Bee
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/29/452...extension.html

Quote:
Work begins on light-rail extension toward Elk Grove

By Tony Bizjak
[email protected]
Published: Tuesday, May. 29, 2012 - 12:00 am | Page 1A
Last Modified: Tuesday, May. 29, 2012 - 12:31 pm

Sacramento Regional Transit has broken ground on one of its most ambitious projects ever, a $270 million southern rail extension to Cosumnes River College. Work began this month on two bridges that will carry trains over creeks and a major south Sacramento intersection.

One goal of the 4.3-mile extension, agency officials said, is to give commuters in Elk Grove and south Sacramento an alternative to Highway 99, the most congested freeway in the region, as well as to lighten the load on Interstate 5.

"The advantage of this (station) location is we are adjacent to Highway 99 at the point where 99 becomes a rush-hour bottleneck," RT General Manager Mike Wiley said.

The project puts rail transit at the doorstep of a city that is expected to remain as one of the fastest-growing in the region, Wiley said.

The extension is similar to light rail's first suburban expansion seven years ago to Folsom, where park-and-ride lots are full and peak-period trains are standing room only, he said.

An estimated 40,000 Elk Grove residents currently travel daily to work outside that city, including many to downtown Sacramento and work centers in Rancho Cordova, officials said. Transportation planners say computer analyses show that if a few thousand of them take light rail, it could produce a measurable improvement in average freeway speeds during peak hours.

"We are freeing up freeway space for goods movement, we're improving air quality, we're providing options," said Elk Grove Vice Mayor Patrick Hume. "If you're going to a show or a ballgame (downtown), it provides a definite option rather than have to battle traffic and find parking."

Elk Grove's e-tran will continue its freeway commuter bus service, he said, and also will link to the college light-rail station.

The extension, which will run south from the existing Meadowview station, will provide a 30-minute ride between the college and K Street downtown. RT may provide some limited-stop express service, making the journey five minutes faster.

The target opening date is September 2015. A parking garage also is being built at the college for commuters and students.

In its own effort to reduce south county congestion, the state Department of Transportation has been widening Highway 99 for short distances between some ramps, but it is hampered by the freeway's tight confines.

Caltrans also plans a $130 million carpool lane on I-5 from Elk Grove to downtown Sacramento, but that is unlikely to get under way until 2018.

Transportation officials say an expanded light-rail system is seen as an important supplement to freeways as the region grows.

The light-rail extension was initially planned to open several years ago but was delayed by the economic downturn. With finances improving, RT officials say they will increase service this year, and they are stockpiling a reserve fund for the new line.

The agency still faces some financial uncertainty. The federal government has agreed to provide $135 million for the project and is expected to sign a funding agreement with RT late this year. But Congress has delayed finalizing its transportation funding program.

Until that happens, "it is not a done deal, obviously," RT's Wiley said.

But officials said they are confident enough to move forward with construction of two bridges for the project now. Together, the bridges will cost $22 million. RT will use a combination of state transportation infrastructure funds and local transportation funds, including sales tax revenues.

RT will hire a contractor to begin laying tracks once it signs a federal funding agreement.

Aides to Rep. Doris Matsui, D-Sacramento, said they expect that to happen soon. "I will continue to work with the administration to make sure they realize that this is a priority project for our region," Matsui said at a bridge groundbreaking ceremony last week.

The project's $270 million price tag includes the costs of the bridges as well as land purchases, flood control work, two pedestrian bridges, a bike and pedestrian trail along Cosumnes River Boulevard, habitat conservation work and a gas line retaining wall.

One bridge will carry tracks over Morrison and Union House creeks and Union Pacific tracks west of the Franklin Boulevard and Cosumnes River Boulevard intersection.

The second bridge is an intersection flyover at Bruceville Road and Cosumnes River Boulevard at the north edge of the campus.

Sacramento City Councilwoman Bonnie Pannell said the extension will help connect the existing Meadowview area to the college and make it easier to get downtown.

"A lot of people in my community depend on public transportation," she said. "The Blue Line to CRC gives working people, young people and seniors more transportation choices."

The line also is expected to relieve some of the added congestion expected when developers ultimately build a series of planned subdivisions at the southern tip of Sacramento, east of I-5.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

RENÉE C. BYER / [email protected]
Ironworker Alan Torrance helps ready the steel reinforcement for a column that will support a light-rail bridge across Cosumnes River Boulevard near Bruceville Road in Elk Grove. A light-rail extension to Cosumnes River College could be running by September 2015.

RENÉE C. BYER/[email protected]
The first columns for a bridge over Cosumnes River Boulevard take shape. Using state and local transportation funds, Regional Transit officials have taken the first steps toward a 4.3-mile light-rail extension that takes the line closer to Elk Grove.

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #25
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

so they've activated the wire to the 7th & Richards/Township 9 station.
http://www.sacrt.com/documents/NSNTe...une2012NSN.pdf

This will be the first part of the Green Line whenever it opens. That station is near the new Greyhound terminal, which was moved out of downtown, probably because it smelled like piss.
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #26
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Anyway, they're opening this new line on June 15, 2012..

But I am the only one who gives a shit.

Sacramento RT didn't even bother with an announcement. The news came in a chat transcript from their CEO:

http://iportal.sacrt.com/WebApps/Onl...x?SessionID=57
Quote:
I'm excited to announce that RT is putting the finishing touches on the Green Line to the River District light rail extension and will officially begin operation on Friday, June 15. The first phase of the Green Line project will extend light rail 1.1 miles north to Richards Boulevard and 7th Street at the Township 9 development, connecting downtown Sacramento to the River District. The 7th & Richards/Township 9 Station will be the site of our opening day celebration that will feature an exciting opening ceremony followed by live music and local community booths. Please join us in celebrating this occasion in what will be the first step in extending light rail over the Sacramento River, through the Natomas communities and to the Sacramento International Airport! For more information about the event, visit www.sacrt.com or contact Jo Noble, Senior Community and Government Affairs Officer, at [email protected] or 916-556-0118. Last month, RT also began construction on two new light rail bridges included in the future Blue Line to Cosumnes River College (CRC) light rail extension. With an estimated completion date of April 2014, the $21.9 million project will construct two light rail bridges over Cosumnes River Boulevard and Morrison Creek. The first bridge will be located near the confluence of Union House Creek and Morrison Creek, approximately one mile south of the Meadowview light rail station. The second bridge will be located on the west side of the Bruceville Road and Cosumnes River Boulevard intersection. The bridge construction is the second major project to break ground in the past six months as RT works to extend light rail 4.3 miles south from the existing Meadowview Station to the future Cosumnes River College Station. Construction is also underway on a 2,000-space, five-level Blue Line/CRC parking structure at the terminus of the Blue Line to CRC, with work progressing ahead of schedule. Earlier this week, RT received formal entry into Final Design which is a major milestone for the project. RT expects a Full Funding Grant Agreement by December 2012. The light rail extension is anticipated to begin operation in September 2015.
Like I said, this line will serve the Greyhound station. They didn't want poor people hanging around downtown so they moved them to an industrial district.

Here are a bunch of keywords so people can find this news online:

Sacramento Light Rail
Natomas
June 15, 2012
opening of light rail line to Richards Boulevard /7th Street /Township Nine
opening of light rail line to Richards Boulevard /Seventh Street /Township Nine
opening of light rail line to Richards Blvd/7th St /Township 9
Green Line
Green Line to the River District
Natomas Light Rail
Sacramento Greyhound Station light rail
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #27
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8809

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
I'm not interested in taking this any further, so I'm just going to leave it to the mods to decide what they want to do with thread. Though I maintain my opposition for this thread, I will no longer post here.
Given that we have a thread for nearly every single proposed metro system in China at the moment, I think I can let this thread stay.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 06:11 AM   #28
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Opening of Green Line to Township 9

Photos by Renée C. Byer
Source: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/15...-rolls-in.html

MORE PHOTOS:

Image by: Karen Shipley, City of Sacramento
http://www.sacramentopress.com/headl...River_District

Image by: Karen Shipley, City of Sacramento
http://www.sacramentopress.com/headl...River_District
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #29
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

well good to see there public transportation improving.
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #30
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Improving? With the high floor vehicles?
I'm speachless somehow - always when we see the "improvements" of public transportation made in States. Especially the LRTs - with road crossing in the city centers, when they should be all independend from all kind of traffic(almost every LRT system is metro-like in the suburbs and with car traffic mixed in the downtown), the high-floor-vehicles (like here in Sacramento, DEN, SLC, Portland) or new extentions put in the middle of desert (SLC)

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #31
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

There are actually quite a few transit malls (segments on surface streets which are not shared with other vehicular traffic) in downtown Sacramento, which you can easily verify on Google Maps and Street View. I found them to be quite nice actually.

Anyways, these systems are "metro-like" in the suburbs because they can be, at comparatively little cost, and because they need to be to maintain adequate speed with the long station-to-station distances. On the other-hand, trying to grade-separate in downtown Sacramento would be a nightmare... Nobody would want an elevated, and an underground alignment is clearly not justified from a cost-benefit perspective. Couple this with the fact that the station spacing is much shorter in the downtown (< 500 m), meaning going up or down would increase the cost substantially more for every additional station.

I'm hardly a fan of Sacramento RT, but they've done a decent job trying to serve what amounts to a giant suburb. They've reduced costs by implementing a one-size-fits-all solution, having the system serve as both "commuter rail" to connect the downtown with the suburbs and as a downtown streetcar connecting with the train station. Throwing more money at infrastructure-heavy solutions only means diminishing returns and a bankrupt transit agency.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #32
nedolessej197
hello

Likes (Received): 28

The creation of the Green Line is only beneficial for Greyhound patrons. That's not to say that I'm against its creation or its funding, but there really is nothing else in the area other than the Greyhound station currently. The development of the railyards will change that (hopefully), but that will still be at least a couple years before anything is done there. The Greyhound station should have stayed where it was in the middle of downtown until the railyards were developed, in my opinion.
nedolessej197 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #33
nedolessej197
hello

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
I'm hardly a fan of Sacramento RT, but they've done a decent job trying to serve what amounts to a giant suburb. They've reduced costs by implementing a one-size-fits-all solution, having the system serve as both "commuter rail" to connect the downtown with the suburbs and as a downtown streetcar connecting with the train station. Throwing more money at infrastructure-heavy solutions only means diminishing returns and a bankrupt transit agency.
I agree. Plus, no one here cares. Honestly, as the only thing relevant for the people riding are the schedules, which currently kind of suck, but so far as grading and spacing etc., no one minds.
nedolessej197 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #34
pistola916
pistola916

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedolessej197 View Post
The creation of the Green Line is only beneficial for Greyhound patrons. That's not to say that I'm against its creation or its funding, but there really is nothing else in the area other than the Greyhound station currently. The development of the railyards will change that (hopefully), but that will still be at least a couple years before anything is done there. The Greyhound station should have stayed where it was in the middle of downtown until the railyards were developed, in my opinion.
Yeah at least a decade until construction to the airport begins.
pistola916 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #35
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

DOT Fastlane blog
http://fastlane.dot.gov/2013/01/sacr...l#.UQGwWR2ClKI

Quote:
January 07, 2013

Sacramento light rail expands with a lift from FTA
It's a new year, but at DOT we're picking up right where 2012 ended--by acting on our commitment to expand transportation choices. Today in California--with help from the Federal Transit Administration's Capital Investment grant program--we did exactly that by signing a full funding grant agreement to extend the Sacramento Regional Transit District's light rail system.

The 4.3 mile Blue Line extension will link downtown Sacramento with the growing South County corridor, offering commuters an alternative to driving and connecting the faculty, staff, and students at Cosumnes River College with the shops, restaurants and other businesses in the heart of the city.

Artist's rendering of the Morrison Creek Station

When you build transit, you also open the door to new local economic development. Just as we've seen with new transit projects across America, in addition to improving access to Sacramento's major employers, extending the Blue Line will also encourage economic development near the extension's four new stations. For example, developers are already preparing to build up the area around the Morrison Creek Station.

New stores and services, new employers, and new housing will combine with the light rail extension to create communities where people can live and shop closer to where they work.

The $135 million grant from FTA's capital investment program will be well-matched by another $135 million from state and local sources.
And it is the latest in a series of investments DOT has made in the region's transportation future. Last June, for example, we announced a TIGER grant to renovate the landmark Sacramento Valley Rail Station and create a dynamic modern multi-modal transportation hub. We’ve also provided an additional $9.7 million to help the Regional Transit District replace a generation of aging, inefficient buses and maintenance facilities with new, fuel-efficient vehicles that cost less to operate and are more reliable.

And we know these transportation options are needed. The Sacramento light rail system saw a 7.4 percent jump in ridership from 2011 to 2012, and California's state capital region is expected to grow steadily over the next five years--with much of that growth likely to occur along the South County Corridor. This will create even more demand for a convenient way to get downtown without spending so much at the gas pump.

As Sacramento’s economy begins to heat up again, the community's vision of a robust transportation network for the capital region will help residents grow and thrive for years to come. The Obama Administration, DOT, and FTA are happy to be able to help transform that vision into reality.
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:53 AM   #36
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Construction on Blue Line extension in the south end of Sacramento

Source: http://blueline2crc.com/current-cons...february-2013/

jchernin liked this post
Old September 3rd, 2014, 09:22 PM   #37
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

The Sacramento Bee
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/01/666...eaded-off.html

Quote:
Sacramento light rail headed off to college

By Tony Bizjak
[email protected]
Published: Monday, Sep. 1, 2014 - 12:00 am

After nearly a decade of struggles, Sacramento Regional Transit’s Blue Line light-rail extension project – the line that will land trains at Cosumnes River College’s front door – is now full throttle.

The local bus and rail agency is up against a “use it or lose it” $135 million federal deadline. Either it has trains rolling in one year – by Sept. 6, 2015 – or risks losing the federal financial backing that has made the project possible.

“The schedule is tight,” RT project manager Ed Scofield said this week. “But we feel comfortable we can open on that date.”

A new station is taking shape fronting the campus on Bruceville Road, to be used by students as well as south county workers who want to avoid Highway 99 on downtown commutes. Crews are pouring concrete a mile away near Franklin Boulevard at another new station site, and rail track is being laid behind subdivisions along nearby Strawberry Creek. A campus parking garage for students and commuters is finished and open for use. The curving bridge that will carry trains over Cosumnes River Boulevard is nearly complete.

If RT stays on pace, the new line could open a month or two before the September date, in time for the start of next year’s fall semester, officials say. If RT doesn’t make the Federal Transit Administration deadline? “You can negotiate,” Scofield said, “but they don’t make it easy on you.”

The project has been a decade in the making, delayed by recession, design issues and bureaucratic hurdles, including several years of work to get federal officials to agree to fund half of the $270 million project’s cost. RT has cobbled together the local share through several state grants and Sacramento County transportation sales tax funds.

Federal Transit Administration officials, who have been monitoring the project, expressed confidence last week that the project is on solid footing and reconfirmed their support for RT’s efforts in an email. “Barring unforeseen complications, the Sacramento Blue Line extension project is on time, on budget, and expected to meet the scheduled opening date of September 6, 2015, as agreed to in our construction grant agreement.”

The 4.3-mile extension is the most ambitious since RT built the first light-rail line in the 1980s, and one of the most difficult, RT General Manager Mike Wiley said, partly because of the federal funding hoops, and partly because the project had to squeeze through a neighborhood just south of Meadowview Road. The agency had to purchase slices of four dozen backyards in south Sacramento a few years ago, paying on average $7,500 to each homeowner, to make room for the tracks after Union Pacific insisted light-rail trains stay 50 feet from the freight tracks. On previous projects, UP had allowed light- rail trains to be 20 feet from freight trains.
RT faces still another potential added financial question involving its federal government sponsors. The agency may have to pay up to $100,000 to replace parts of a Pacific Gas and Electric valve lot that was relocated to make room for the tracks. Federal officials require that the project meet “Buy America” standards, but some valve parts at the relocated PG&E site have not been certified as made in America. RT officials say they knew that when they relocated the lot, but felt they could not stop and wait for a federal ruling on their petition for relief.

“We were in this Catch-22,” Scofield said. “We felt we had to keep moving forward or miss our deadline.”

South county leaders say they are eager to see the project become a reality. Traffic congestion on nearby Highway 99 is now the worst in the region during commute hour. The line is expected to be busy from the start, with about 7,500 daily riders. Elk Grove officials say they will link their e-tran bus system to the college station.

“I’m excited,” said Elk Grove Mayor Gary Davis. “This will be a huge amenity for our community.”

Davis said his city is planning denser, transit-friendly development south of the college on Bruceville Road. It hopes that will help RT make a stronger case for more federal funds to extend light rail into Elk Grove, including to a planned civic center, an aquatic center and a shopping mall. “We know it’s not easy to get funding,” Davis said. “We want to make sure we’re competitive.”

Cosumnes River College President Debbie Travis said the on-campus station is part of a broader ongoing effort by the Los Rios Community College District to allow easier access to higher education for the region’s students, especially students who don’t have a car or can’t afford gas for driving long distances.

Sacramento City College has a light-rail station. The district’s Rancho Cordova center is across the street from light rail. The center in Natomas is on a future light-rail line, and the one in West Sacramento is next to that city’s bus terminal. The district allows students to take classes at more than one campus at a time. A fee embedded in tuition covers the costs of students’ transit passes.

“We are starting to connect the outlying and suburban areas to the (region’s) core,” Travis said. “That is what light rail will do.”

That is a different mentality among college leaders than existed in the 1980s when the initial light-rail line was built. Sacramento State University officials then rejected proposals for a light-rail station on or near campus, citing costs and fears that it would bring “an undesirable element to campus.”

Even with the new line to Elk Grove, the region’s light-rail network remains far from complete, local transportation leaders say. RT has fielded requests for light-rail extensions to Roseville, El Dorado Hills and even Davis. But agency officials say they are focused next on a cooperative effort with the cities of Sacramento and West Sacramento on a streetcar line over the Tower Bridge, and to extend rail through Natomas to Sacramento International Airport. Both of those projects are in the planning stages and will likely need federal funding support.

RT chief Wiley said the agency also hopes to build a second rail track into downtown Folsom to allow for more frequent service there.

Call The Bee’s Tony Bizjak, (916) 321-1059.

Manny Crisostomo/ [email protected]

Manny Crisostomo/ [email protected]

Sacramento Regional Transit director Ed Scofield on the tracks of the $270 million light rail extension to Cosumnes River College in Sacramento, Calif., on Tuesday, August 26, 2014.

Manny Crisostomo / [email protected]

Construction of the Sacramento Regional Transit $270 million light rail extension to Cosumnes River College in Sacramento, Calif., on Tuesday, August 26, 2014.

Manny Crisostomo / [email protected]
Old March 5th, 2015, 09:21 AM   #38
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

SACRT passing Bradshaw Road
by Railboy0882, on Flickr

SACRT Light Rail Passing Mills Park
by Railboy0882, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994, mrsmartman, geometarkv liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 10:24 AM   #39
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26131

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=535

Testing begins on Sacramento LRT extension
Monday, July 06, 2015

SACRAMENTO Regional Transit District carried out the first test runs on the 6.9km southern extension of the light rail Blue Line from Meadowview Road to Cosumnes River College on June 29

Nightly testing will continue on the extension between 1700 and 0400 until commercial services begin in September.

The $US 270m extension includes three new stations Franklin, Center Parkway and Cosumnes River College. A further intermediate station is also planned at Morrison Creek, which is linked to future property development in the area
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 07:53 AM   #40
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Blue line extension opens 2015.09.06

http://www.sacrt.com/schedules/current/9_15summary.stm

Tags
sacramento