daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:13 PM   #301
VECTROTALENZIS
★★★★★★
 
VECTROTALENZIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,232
Likes (Received): 1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by isakres View Post
Seriously dude,

Samsung= Korean (already developed)
Honda= Japanese (already developed)
Canon= Japanese

Only Lenovo could fit in the discussion and Embraer could be the response
China has many more brands than just Lenovo:

ZTE, Huawei, Haier, BYD, Tsingtao, Li Ning...to name a few
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
 
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:17 PM   #302
seems
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 95
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isakres View Post
Seriously dude,

Samsung= Korean (already developed)
Honda= Japanese (already developed)
Canon= Japanese

Only Lenovo could fit in the discussion and Embraer could be the response.
Yep, they're already developed. That's why I put them on the list to prove my argument that you need to transform your economy in order to get sustainable economic growth (err actually it's not my argument, any body learns Economics must know it --- Solow model ... sure countries rich with natural resources and small population like AUS, CAN, NZ, Norway, etc can be developed countries... but they know their economic growth isn't sustainable for a long time... that's why they try to develop their manufacturing and/or services...
seems no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:17 PM   #303
isakres
Registered User
 
isakres's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,943
Likes (Received): 2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
China has many more brands than just Lenovo:

ZTE, Huawei, Haier, BYD, Tsingtao, Li Ning...to name a few
Of course there sould be more Chineses companies, I mean Chinese economy size is already considerable. Im just pointing that 4 out of 5 companies mentioned by our buddy belongs to develeped countries. Just the last one belongs to a developing one.

Personally I havent heard those companies at all. But indeed there should be a lot more. There is a Chinese brand of cheap cars that is about to be installed in some Latin Countries. Cant remember the name.


Quote:
Originally Posted by seems View Post
Yep, they're already developed. That's why I put them on the list to prove my argument that you need to transform your economy in order to get sustainable economic growth... sure countries rich with natural resources and small population like AUS, CAN, NZ, Norway, etc can be developed countries... but they know their economic growth isn't sustainable for a long time... that's why they try to develop their manufacturing and/or services...
ok jaja, so then I will put some US companies here, I mean they are developed as well and we are in the same continent lol.

I seriously dont get your point and as for your Chinese example I gave you a Brazilian one.
__________________
Mexico, Messico, Mexique, Mexikko, , المكسيك, मेक्सिको, Μεξικό, メキシコ Lebanonمکزیک, 墨西哥, Мексика, Meksiko, 멕시코, מעקסיקא, Meksika, Mexiko, מקסיקו
There is only one success.... to be able to spend your life in your own way

Last edited by isakres; October 31st, 2011 at 08:25 PM.
isakres no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:19 PM   #304
seems
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 95
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
China has many more brands than just Lenovo:

ZTE, Huawei, Haier, BYD, Tsingtao, Li Ning...to name a few
American, European, Japanese and Korean products now in the high end market, while most of Chinese products in the lower end... perhaps not many people heard the Chinese brands in the lower price market, but they have demands...
seems no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:22 PM   #305
VECTROTALENZIS
★★★★★★
 
VECTROTALENZIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,232
Likes (Received): 1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
About to be.
Taiwan's HDI is 0.868

That's higher than all these developed countries:

Belgium 0.867
Denmark 0.866
Spain 0.863 0.003
Hong Kong 0.862
Greece 0.855
Italy 0.854
Luxembourg 0.852
Austria 0.851
United Kingdom 0.849
Singapore 0.846
Czech Republic 0.841
Slovenia 0.828
Andorra 0.824
Slovakia 0.818
United Arab Emirates 0.815
Malta 0.815
Estonia 0.812
Cyprus 0.810
Hungary 0.805
Brunei 0.805
Qatar 0.803
Bahrain 0.801
Portugal 0.795
Poland 0.795
Barbados 0.788
Bahamas 0.784


...hahah...troll
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:28 PM   #306
seems
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 95
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
It's amazing how this 20 something post troll is managing to ruin which has been an interesting thread.

.
sorry sir, I beg to disagree...I wouldn't say that your lack knowledge on Economics showing in this thread as interesting... but I won't underestimate you since you may never learn Economics...

As for my 20 something post as being a troll, I also beg to disagree... I think having many posts doesn't mean that somebody isn't a troll.... reading your comments on how GDP/cap PPP cannot be used and 20,000 USD as a developed country benchmark makes me believe that you're actually the troll... I may be wrong though....
seems no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:31 PM   #307
VECTROTALENZIS
★★★★★★
 
VECTROTALENZIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,232
Likes (Received): 1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by isakres View Post
Personally I havent heard those companies at all. But indeed there should be a lot more. There is a brand of cheap cars that is about to be installed in some Latin Countries. Cant remember the name.
I live in Sweden and they are selling ZTE, Haier, Huawei stuff in the electric stores, actually my USB broadband I am sitting on now is from Huawei. Tsingtao is a beer company and they sell it mostly in Chinese resturants but I've seen it in some grocery shops in Paris when I was there. Li Ning is a sports clothing company that I have seen in some some sportshops. Li Ningmade the official wear for the Swedish team during the last Olympics. BYD is a car company that focuses on electric cars as their prime business model. They just on their way puttings up a North American HQ in LA.

China carmaker BYD sets North American HQ in LA

Last edited by VECTROTALENZIS; October 31st, 2011 at 08:38 PM.
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:31 PM   #308
Yuri S Andrade
Registered User
 
Yuri S Andrade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: São Paulo & Londrina
Posts: 10,635

Quote:
Originally Posted by seems View Post
sorry sir, I beg to disagree...I wouldn't say that your lack knowledge on Economics showing in this thread as interesting... but I won't underestimate you since you may never learn Economics...

As for my 20 something post as being a troll, I also beg to disagree... I think having many posts doesn't mean that somebody isn't a troll.... reading your comments on how GDP/cap PPP cannot be used and 20,000 USD as a developed country benchmark makes me believe that you're actually the troll... I may be wrong though....
Do you know why are you a troll?

Because you keep posting nonsensical and provocantive pics. Why do you that?

Because you keep saying things like "Latin America is frozen in time" without any data to back up your statement. Why do you do that?

Because you completely make up things about people saying "they think their countries are developed" or "they are bashing Asian countries" and so on. Why do you that?
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:32 PM   #309
Jonesy55
Mooderator
 
Jonesy55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Floreat Salopia
Posts: 13,152
Likes (Received): 5855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade
And you get a better material standard of living in one wealth mid-size city in São Paulo's hinterland or in the southern Brazilian cities than in São Paulo capital.
Yes, but i think the PPP calculations take prices from around a country rather than just one major city to make an average.

If you want more detail then a regional or local PPP rate would be necessary but i don't think many countries do that.

I've seen ONS figures for the UK which suggest that overall cost of living in London and SE England is 8-10% more expensive than the national average while the cheaper regions such as Wales, NE England or Northern Ireland are 8-10% cheaper than average.

PPP rates relative to nominal rates do sometimes reflect problems and uncertainties with an economy but also they can reflect government policy on exchange rates, depressing rates to encourage exports and build global market share.
Jonesy55 no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:35 PM   #310
Blackraven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Makati (in the Philippines)
Posts: 2,110
Likes (Received): 99

From Asia, I'd say that Malaysia is a strong contender.

In fact, they were eyeing year 2020 as their target to reach developed country status.

Then the next contender from Asia would be a battle between Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam (in probably 2030-2040).

P.S.
I consider Taiwan to be a developed country (and it's very progressive with strong manufacturing and tech-related sectors)
Blackraven no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:36 PM   #311
patchay
Registered User
 
patchay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Brisbane
Posts: 12,992
Likes (Received): 1145

Singapore may not have global brands like Japan and SKorea, but hey they have an uncountable amount of successful companies especially in this part of the world. Examples:

Singapore's three largest local banks are amongst the strongest in the world, the strongest being DBS. Besides being a global financial centre, Singapore is also the world's 3rd largest oil refining centre.

Temasek and GLIC - state investment arms
Creative - electronics
Capitaland - one of the biggest real estate owner in Asia
Singtel - one of the world's largest mobile network operator
NOL - world's 3rd largest shipping liner
Singapore Exchange - a leading stock echange in Asia
ComfortDelGro - world's 2nd largest land transport company (owns many London busses)
Singapore Airlines - world renowned, one of the world's most valuable airliner
Venture Corporation - Asia's leading circuit board maker
Noble Group - Asia's largest commodity trading conglomerate
Wilmar International - world's largest plantation company and Asia's leading agri-business company
Flextronics International - world's 2nd largest electronics manufacturing services (EMS) company
Jardine Matheson - Asia's leading retail conglomerate
Keppel Group - one of the world's largest offshore and marine conglomerate

and many more...

Malaysia too have many of these Asian-style conglomerates.
__________________
Quote:
THE KUALA LUMPUR DEVELOPMENTS COMPILATION (LATEST: SEP'2014) >>> PAGE 1 >>> PAGE 2 (Suburb)

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare

Last edited by patchay; October 31st, 2011 at 08:42 PM.
patchay no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:36 PM   #312
guy4versa4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: alor star
Posts: 2,858
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
From Asia, I'd say that Malaysia is a strong contender.

In fact, they were eyeing year 2020 as their target to reach developed country status.

Then the next contender from Asia would be a battle between Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam (in probably 2030-2040).

P.S.
I consider Taiwan to be a developed country (and it's very progressive with strong manufacturing and tech-related sectors)
-how about indonesia
-did qatar and dubai concider developing country?
guy4versa4 no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:38 PM   #313
VECTROTALENZIS
★★★★★★
 
VECTROTALENZIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,232
Likes (Received): 1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
Yes, but that's much more a matter of income, salaries than GDP. It's such a nonsense to create a virtual GDP using "power purchase".
A higher price in products in comparison to income leads to less things to buy and in the end leads to lower living standard.

Do you know that some countries can keep their currencies low to increase export and some just have a overvalued currency and some undervalued? China keeps their currency undervalued by around 40%...
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:39 PM   #314
Jonesy55
Mooderator
 
Jonesy55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Floreat Salopia
Posts: 13,152
Likes (Received): 5855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven
Then the next contender from Asia would be a battle between Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam (in probably 2030-2040).
What about countries like Kazakhstan, Lebanon or Turkey? I think they might be richer than those countries by 2030.
Jonesy55 no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:39 PM   #315
seems
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 95
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isakres View Post
ok jaja, so then I will put some US companies here, I mean they are developed as well and we are in the same continent lol.

I seriously dont get your point and as for your Chinese example I gave you a Brazilian one.
Yes, Sir, the same continent but not Latin American countries as I mentioned...

Why did I mention Japan and South Korea? Because they, especially the latter, is a good role model on how a dirt poor country can transform itself in only one generation... do you know that most Western people now is 10% richer than their parents, while South Korean is 600% richer than their parents?...

Why not the US? What should I say, they're already rich even during WW2...

Sir, if you visit Oasis in African section, there's a discussion on how Japan is a driver of economic growth in Asia, and then followed by South Korea and Taiwan... They're right, all books on Asian development say the same thing backed by data on strong presences of Japanese investment in Asian countries since 1960s...The question is why does the US doesn't have the same role for Latin American countries? Why does it even prefer to invest in Asia, across the Pacific?

Yes I know Embraer, that will be a strong foundation for Brazil to develop its industry....that makes Brazil stands different in that region...
seems no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:44 PM   #316
seems
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 95
Likes (Received): 0

Sir, why don't you call people who mock African and Asian countries also as a troll?
You do read "Somalia, South Sudan" etc and you also do read about "it's make me laugh that Asian countries bla bla bla...."
Do you think people who say Somalian will be a developed country in the year of 3000 have a data?

Is that because they please you with their prediction on Latin American countries tha you turn a blind eye?

Do you have a double standard, Sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
Do you know why are you a troll?

Because you keep posting nonsensical and provocantive pics. Why do you that?

Because you keep saying things like "Latin America is frozen in time" without any data to back up your statement. Why do you do that?

Because you completely make up things about people saying "they think their countries are developed" or "they are bashing Asian countries" and so on. Why do you that?

Last edited by seems; October 31st, 2011 at 08:50 PM.
seems no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:46 PM   #317
Yuri S Andrade
Registered User
 
Yuri S Andrade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: São Paulo & Londrina
Posts: 10,635

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
A higher price in products in comparison to income leads to less things to buy and in the end leads to lower living standard.

Do you know that some countries can keep their currencies low to increase export and some just have a overvalued currency and some undervalued? China keeps their currency undervalued by around 40%...
And again, what does it have to do with GDP? I understand you cannot say someone in China makes X dollars a month and then make a comparison with the US. Power purchase for income, salary I understand. But for GDP, no.

If the country keeps his currency undervalued it's because their own economic weakness.


Quote:
Originally Posted by seems View Post
Why don't you call people who mock African and Asian countries also as a troll? Do you have a double standard, Sir?
You stated I mocked Asian and African countries. Could you quote that? No, because you made that up.

And it's funny you mention mocking as you're the person posting provocative and off-topic photos and bashing countries and regions in all your posts.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:51 PM   #318
chornedsnorkack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,865
Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
From Asia, I'd say that Malaysia is a strong contender.

In fact, they were eyeing year 2020 as their target to reach developed country status.

Then the next contender from Asia would be a battle between Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam (in probably 2030-2040).
One issue is when or if the rich oil exporters get developed.

Regarding the Asian tigers: the 2010 GDP per head in nominal US$ were:
Thailand 4992
China 4382
Indonesia 2974
Philippines 2123
India 1371
Vietnam 1174

So... which country shall be richer in 2020 - China or Thailand?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:03 PM   #319
seems
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 95
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
You stated I mocked Asian and African countries. Could you quote that? No, because you made that up.

And it's funny you mention mocking as you're the person posting provocative and off-topic photos and bashing countries and regions in all your posts.
Sir, of course you would not consider these comments below as mocking though their opinions aren't backed up by data...what do you call that? Praising?

I didn't say that you as a person mock others, but that you didn't call others who started mocking as a troll...that's why I ask you, why do you do that? Is it because you were pleased by their prediction on your region?

I quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motul View Post
A few of the counties on that list won't become developed atleast until 2050 :-P
(this Motul guy ask for sympathy in African section that his country suffers from bad images and turns to mock other countries here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motul View Post
Philippines and Indonesia are too poor still.. Same with vietnam. 2050
Do you think he has data when he said 2050 again and again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cosmonaut View Post
South Sudan - 3097
Somalia - 3081
Sierra Leone - 3075
Liberia -3073
Do you think he's praising with a prediction of more than 1000 years from now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occit View Post
I get laugh when i watch some TV channels like BBC or CNN and there are some TV Programs like: Asia Today, Talk Asia, African Voices, Inside Africa, Marketplace Middle East, Marketplace Africa, Marketplace Asia, and so on, excluding Latinamerica (as always) as if these regions were to enter to developed world before us (latinamerica)
Do you think he has data to back up his laugh? Is he praising Asian and African countries?

I can find more in this thread... now what say you Sir?


At least I have data: pictures are data...

and I wasn't the only one who said "frozen in time", this guy did before me, I suppose he's from Brazil?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cosmonaut View Post
In Latin America? Only Chile.

Argentina and Uruguay? Frozen in time. Brazil is a political and bureaucratic mess and Mexico is close to civil war.

Last edited by seems; October 31st, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
seems no está en línea  
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:26 PM   #320
isakres
Registered User
 
isakres's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,943
Likes (Received): 2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by seems View Post
Yes, Sir, the same continent but not Latin American countries as I mentioned...

Why did I mention Japan and South Korea? Because they, especially the latter, is a good role model on how a dirt poor country can transform itself in only one generation... do you know that most Western people now is 10% richer than their parents, while South Korean is 600% richer than their parents?..

Why not the US? What should I say, they're already rich even during WW2...
Ok, youve totally missed the point of this thread, your arguments are focused on which subcontinent is growing faster, and we are already know its Asia, but the threads title is which be developed first. You just have to take some figures and project growth to get an estimation by 2020. My results were Chile, Latvia, Lithuania, Argentina, etc. Malaysia is my Asian bet, but will came later within a second bunch of developong economies.

Considered GDP PPP figures and HDI. Considered Gulf Countries, Taiwan, Korea, etc as already developed.


Where r you from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seems View Post
Sir, if you visit Oasis in African section, there's a discussion on how Japan is a driver of economic growth in Asia, and then followed by South Korea and Taiwan... They're right, all books on Asian development say the same thing backed by data on strong presences of Japanese investment in Asian countries since 1960s...
Its on History Books everywhere. I mean Elementary History books. Really, no body here is saying the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seems View Post
The question is why does the US doesn't have the same role for Latin American countries? Why does it even prefer to invest in Asia, across the Pacific?
Serioously dude, you dont have any clue about Latin economies, otherwise you should realized that Latin Economies were pretty hermetic and closed to the exterior most of the past century. It was just recently (I mean the past 20 years) that they opened their Economies to foreign Investment.

It is quite obvious to guess why should somebody may want to invest in China.....and its not exactly because Latinamerica is not a good place to put your money. Mexico recived a lot of money from the US in 2010, more than most Asian countries. Brazil also recieved a lot of money from the US.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s1296.pdf

If you were a regular reader of Financial magazines, you may realize that Latinamerica is also a hot spot of investments right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seems View Post
Yes I know Embraer, that will be a strong foundation for Brazil to develop its industry....that makes Brazil stands different in that region...
And you are also implying that China stands different in Asia. havent heard anything from Vietnam or Indonesia yet.
__________________
Mexico, Messico, Mexique, Mexikko, , المكسيك, मेक्सिको, Μεξικό, メキシコ Lebanonمکزیک, 墨西哥, Мексика, Meksiko, 멕시코, מעקסיקא, Meksika, Mexiko, מקסיקו
There is only one success.... to be able to spend your life in your own way
isakres no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu