daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2011, 04:53 AM   #261
Erhan

Likes (Received): 10554

No, it's an international thread about a Turkish subway. As I said, if you want the discussion in Turkish you can open a thread in the Turkish section.

If you want more people to notice your thread and what it's about we should change the title to "MISC | Similarities between London Underground and Istanbul Metro" or something like that.

When it comes to the topic, I can't really see so many similarities that makes the Istanbul Metro a copy, if that's what you are implying. Is it because both are circularly shaped? Please explain what you think is so similar.
Erhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #262
Istanbul Underground

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
When it comes to the topic, I can't really see so many similarities that makes the Istanbul Metro a copy, if that's what you are implying. Is it because both are circularly shaped? Please explain what you think is so similar.
Everything, the tracks run in seperate tunnels far apart and the stations consist of many chambers just to get to get to a platform, blatantly similar to London Underground. No other city has time for such an idiotic copy of the Tube for their subway systems, look them up.

Istanbul Metrosu degil, Istanbul Underground
Istanbul Underground no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #263
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1144

I'm back after one year.

I've already got my answers. Thank you all Istanbulians.

The great news is a new tram line will be construct around Blue Mosque, before 31st Dec. 2012. Thankfully Istanbul is sincere again about tram.

But I read metro line 4 (M4, actually the second true metro line, on Asian Side) was scheduled to open in 2011, but it was not opened, what's the problem, when it will be actually opened?

A GREAT MAP

Highcliff liked this post
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #264
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Yes, we have been discussing the delay in the Turkish forum. Turkish politicians, especially the mayor of IStanbul, are known for making promises they cannot keep.
The metrobus extension to Beylikdüzü was to open in the fall of 2011, we are still waiting for it, maybe it will be May.
M4, full test rides having started mid-November 2011, was to open as soon as the security certification was issued, which normally should have been possible within 3 months. Now the municipality blames the hightec signalization (the line can operate driverless, although this is not planned) and has made confusing statements. April, May, July, and most recently August have all been mentioned as new date for start of operations.
M5 was to begin running end of March. With just two weeks to go, we can now read that "as soon as security certification has been attained" added to that statement on the municpality website.
Unfortunately that is how things are done in this city. First they say, " we will break the world record in subway constructing speed," and if you ask later what happened, they answer "metro? What metro?"
These are the so-called Anatolian Tigers which really are more like Angora cats.
By the way, I never heard about your new tram. For a map I recommend the wikipedia one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ransit_Map.png

Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #265
intelligentBG

Likes (Received): 83

And what is going on with M3?
And Baron Hirsh, you are right, I would like to see the Anatolian Tiger more dynamic...

intelligentBG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #266
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

On M3, there is the problem that at Bagcilar the municipality is builidng a shopping mall on top of the metro. Therefore the completion of the line is delayed considerably. The official word is that the line will begin operations in November without stopping at Bagcilar, then will operate over the whole line beginning March 2013, but once agian, this tricky phrase "as soon as security certificates have been received" was added recently to this statement, so we might have to wait longer than this.

Old March 15th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #267
Ashis Mitra

Istanbul’s tramway system has returned in 1990. Currently there are 3, completely unlinked tram systems.
1) First heritage tram – NOSTALGIC TRAMWAY opened in 1990.
2) First modern tram – CAGDAS TRAMWAY opened in 1992.
3) Second heritage tram – MODA TRAMWAY opened in 2003.

But all systems are completely separate from each other, which is not practical.

Now we are expecting specially the new tram line towards blue mosque. Please write here details about the route, alignment, & opening date. I hope it will be opened in 2012, is it true?

I also suggest just 1 Km south extension of Nostalgic Tramway towards Taksim to connect Cagdas Tramway with Nostalgic Tramway, so that both generations’ tram can run side by side. It is not hard to construct along the city streets.

There are some questions relating this –

5) When will the extensions of tram lines be opened?
6) How is construction going on of new tram line? Has they started? Please post some photos.
7) Will future extension will be also on reserved track?
8) Is there any plan of extension of Cagdas Tramway?

Old March 16th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #268
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

You make it sound way too simple. T1, although it began running in 1992, has been steadily extended until it reached it's present length. There is also T4, a second modern tram which has an interchange station with T1. Some people consider T4 a metro because it runs underground for significant sections, but as it runs on level ground with level crossings for much of its way and has low capacities, I would consider it a tram.
The two short nostalgic trams are only of worth for tram fanatics and to ease movement through pedestrianized shopping areas. They are much too slow and of too low capacity to be anything else. They are well interconnected with the metro and in Moda with the ferries, which is more important than meeting the serious tramlines.
You have something confused there anyways: the modenr tram is NOT at Taksim, the nostalgic one is. And it IS difficult to link them, as the hill between Kabatas and Taksim is extremely steep. Do you think a funicular was built there just for fun?
As I wrote before, there is no construction going on around the Blue Mosque. It would be an absolute mini-extension anyways, as the Blue Mosque is just about 500 metres from T1 Sultanahmet stop. There was talk about a tram side extension into the cruise harbor near Tophane station in order to provide special trams for the cruise tourists to take them to Sultanahmet stop, but nothing has happened. Anyways it would be madness, as T1 is already running at maximum capacity and could not allow for several thousand more riders. In this city, politicians like to announce projects and then forget about them again, do not let yourself be fooled by them.
There is one more serious tram extension planned: from Eminönü up the southern bank of the Golden Horn. However this is not on the current priority list of the municipality, which promises to concentrate on metro construction in the next few years (insh'Allah).

Old March 18th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #269
Arda_1923

Likes (Received): 64

there is rumours that Üsküdar (M6) line is contracted,
official map,

Some photos from M2,

Kadıköy line (M4) is almost finished,

Arda_1923 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #270
Ashis Mitra

Baron, I've met very little person like you, who describes any projects, or answers question so much details. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I've some more questions, which I never wrote before-

Istanbul’s subway system is growing continually year by year. For such a big & congested city, extension of metro is quite slow. Till now only one line, this resembles much like my native city Kolkata.

Now we are expecting for opening line M4, which will be the Asian side metro. But the authority is still giving us confusion by their labeling, they labeled M1 & T4, which are neither metro nor tram but actually light rail, and sometimes called T1 is light rail, which is actually tram. There are some questions relating this –

1) Line M4 was planned to open in 2011, but it is still not opened, but why? What is the problem and final opening date?
2) When will the extensions of line M2, M4 & M5 be opened?
3) On older maps, I saw future line M5 was turquoise blue, but now newer maps say it will be purple. Which will be final?
4) How is construction going on line M5? Has they started? Please post some photos.
5) Will M4 & M5 be fully underground?
6) Is there any plan to convert present M1 from light rail to metro, like M2, in future?
7) Will line M5 be final extension of Istanbul’s metro, because transport authority has canceled M6 & M7?

In past months I repeatedly write here that T1 (& former T2, now joined with T1) are only modern tram line, & T4 is light rail, like M2. But looking some recent photos, I may change my mind.

These photos are from www.urbanrail.net. It shows photos of both T1 & T4. The first photo is of T1, and the second is from T4. It shows same rolling stock running on both lines, is not? Wikipedia says that those stocks (mentioned on photos) are old Cologne trams, but also says that they were run on Cologne’s light rail network (stadtbahn). So confusion doesn’t clears.

My questions are-
1) Are these vehicles formerly used in Cologne?
2) If yes, on which system, tram (strassenbahn) or light rail (stadtbahn)?
3) The only modern tram depot is on Essenler, which is also a light rail depot. But how can trams of T1 go to that light rail depot, which is far away from tram line? Is there any non-passenger tram line, especially for the depot?

Please clear the confusion.

Old March 19th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #271
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post

1) Line M4 was planned to open in 2011, but it is still not opened, but why? What is the problem and final opening date?
2) When will the extensions of line M2, M4 & M5 be opened?
3) On older maps, I saw future line M5 was turquoise blue, but now newer maps say it will be purple. Which will be final?
4) How is construction going on line M5? Has they started? Please post some photos.
5) Will M4 & M5 be fully underground?
6) Is there any plan to convert present M1 from light rail to metro, like M2, in future?
7) Will line M5 be final extension of Istanbul’s metro, because transport authority has canceled M6 & M7?

(...)

These photos are from www.urbanrail.net. It shows photos of both T1 & T4. The first photo is of T1, and the second is from T4. It shows same rolling stock running on both lines, is not? Wikipedia says that those stocks (mentioned on photos) are old Cologne trams, but also says that they were run on Cologne’s light rail network (stadtbahn). So confusion doesn’t clears.

My questions are-
1) Are these vehicles formerly used in Cologne?
2) If yes, on which system, tram (strassenbahn) or light rail (stadtbahn)?
3) The only modern tram depot is on Essenler, which is also a light rail depot. But how can trams of T1 go to that light rail depot, which is far away from tram line? Is there any non-passenger tram line, especially for the depot?
[/U][/I]
Answering you is like playing trivial pursuit. Let me try. And yes, while IStanbul claims to be one of the oldest metro systems in the world, it is also the one that grows the slowest: 1 meter per year we calculated in the Turkish forum recently.
First set of questions:
1) In Istanbul, you never know. See my post of March 12 where I already answered this one. Latest rumor is May 29, but completely unoffical.
2) M2 southern extension (Sishane-Yenikapi): Officially end of Oct. 2013, but there have been delays and I think they cannot make it; M4 eastern extension (Kartal-Kaynarca): 2013, but I do not know if this is realistic; M5 southern extension (Kirazli-Bakirköy): the project is among the four top priority projects, but no work has been assigned yet.
3) Who knows? Who cares?
4) M5 is almost completed, it should officially open soon.
5) No, neither one.
6) No, the line does not hold the potential for such an upgrade. Stations platforms are short, inclines steep, curb radiuses too tight.
7) No, they are not cancelled, only postponed. As you can see in the post above, the Üsküdar metroline is to start construction this year. The Besiktas (Kabatas-Besiktas-Sisli-Mahmutbey) metro is to be put up for tender this year, albeit as a build-operate-transfer venture, very unconventional for metros. Let us hope it does not fail.

2nd set of questions:
1) Going to http://www.urbanrail.net/as/tr/istanbul/istanbul.htm the picture on the left under T1 and on the left and right under T4 are former Cologne trams/LRT. The others under T1 are Bombardier (blue, about 10 years old), and Alstom (brandnew). On T4 in the middle you have new ROTEM trains. The Cologne trams were a temporary solution until the Alstom and Rotem trams arrived. They are now being phased out and are hardly ever to be seen on T1 and possibly still in regualr use besides Rotem on T4.
2) Do not let categorizations get to your head. They are there to describe and simplfy realities. If the realities do not fit your categories, then open your mind instead of trying to squeeze everything in the categories you came with. T4 is best described as a hybrid between tram and light metro. Likewise in Cologne, they do not differentiate between "Straßenbahn" and "Stadtbahn": the same lines run over segregated underground tunnels, then pop up and mix with the traffic like the average tram.
3) Trams can operate on M1 (same electricity source), although I also do not know where they could enter the M1 tracks, must be at Zeytinburnu...

Old March 19th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #272
Arda_1923

M4 is fully underground,
and this is official map,

http://www.istanbul-ulasim.com.tr/im...iSistemler.jpg

also M6 is absolutely going to be built.

Old March 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #273
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Yes you are right of course, Arda. I was thinking of the M3 (Aksaray-Kirazli)/M5 (Kirazli-Basaksehir/Olympic Stadium) complex. Still cannot get used to these changing numbers of these ghost metros.

Old March 21st, 2012, 04:02 PM   #274
Ashis Mitra

Thanks to all for answer

Old May 8th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #275
Arda_1923

image hosted on flickr

Tünel 1875 - 2012 by ardac, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Bombardier tram @ Light snow in İstanbul by ardac, on Flickr

Old June 6th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #276
MakaWella
However..

Likes (Received): 48

Couldn't find a thread for Istanbul metro developments..

İstanbul ready to break ground on second subway line on Asian side

The groundbreaking ceremony for a new metro line along the Üsküdar-Ümraniye-Çekmeköy route on İstanbul’s Asian side will be held at Çekmeköy’s Madenler Square on Wednesday.
İstanbul Mayor Kadir Topbaş, Transportation, Maritime Affairs and Communications Minister Binali Yıldırım and executives from the Doğuş group -- one of the country’s largest conglomerates and the group that won the tender for the metro project, will attend the ceremony.

The tender for the construction of the metro line was opened on Aug. 9, 2011. Fourteen companies bid for the project and the Doğuş group, which has interests in the construction, financial, food production and tourism sectors, won the tender with a bid of 564 million euros.

The new subway line, which will connect Üsküdar, Ümraniye and Çekmeköy, is the second metro line on İstanbul’s Asian side after the Kadıköy-Kartal line. The metro project is expected to significantly ease the heavy traffic congestions which İstanbul’s Asian residents have to endure every day.

The completed underground line will be 20 kilometers long and the project includes the construction of baseline tunnels, 16 metro stations, storage areas and 2.72 kilometers of connection tunnels. Construction is expected to be completed by April 2015.

The subway line is expected to reduce travel time from Çekmeköy-Sancaktepe to Üsküdar to just 24 minutes and to Taksim to 44 minutes. Travel time between Çekmeköy-Sancaktepe and the İstanbul Atatürk Airport will be reduced to 68 minutes via Marmaray, an undersea commuter tunnel that will link İstanbul’s Asian and European sides. With the new metro line, commuters will be able to travel from Çekmeköy-Sancaktepe to Kartal in 59 minutes and to Hacıosman in 68 minutes.

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-2825...sian-side.html

MakaWella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:42 PM   #277
metro35

Likes (Received): 1

I have 5 different smart-tokens of Istanbul transport:
1. Yellow IETT
2. Yellow
3. Blue
4. Red
5. Red 2012
Where this tokens used?

metro35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #278
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5764

The Istanbul metro is both Byzantine with a capital B and byzantine with a lower-case B.

The next part of this system to open will be on the Asian side (M4). After years of delays, trains are scheduled (so who really knows if it will happen?) to start running on M4 on August 17.

M4 is not connected to the rest of the subway in Europe or to the Turkish railway network. A largely useless white elephant for now.

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #279
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
M4 is not connected to the rest of the subway in Europe or to the Turkish railway network. A largely useless white elephant for now.
You need to start somewhere...

ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #280
hokomoko

Likes (Received): 86

Wait a year only ! in 2013 the connection will realize, via marmaray undersea railpass.

hokomoko no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
istanbul, metro, tram, túnel, ulaşım