daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2015, 07:47 PM   #421
qw34

Likes (Received): 7

qw34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2015, 10:36 PM   #422
Edil Arda
The User

Likes (Received): 28942

This is international thread, so you should write in English

And we can't see your photos because they're hosted on wowturkey.

K. Atatürk

Ashis Mitra liked this post
Edil Arda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 02:40 AM   #423
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Istanbul to build monorail system:
Quote:
Istanbul has tried to combat its notorious traffic levels with nearly every type of public transport under the sun – buses, metrobuses, suburban and subway trains, trams, funiculars, cable cars, ferries, sea taxis, and the ever-popular shared taxi vans known as dolmush – but all to little avail. The city regularly tops road congestion rankings in Europe and beyond.

Now, for its latest projects, the city municipality has decided that the sky is no longer the limit.

Eight monorail lines will connect a number of neighbourhoods on both the European and Asian sides of the city, carrying 200,000 passengers a day. When completed, the 47 km-long system, called the Havaray, will be the first major monorail system in Europe.
http://www.citymetric.com/transport/...congestion-700

Quote:
Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality has annouced the start date of the tender bids for the Tuzla Monorail Project which aims to relieve the city's congested traffic. The Municipality's Transportation Planning Department has annouced the bids will begin on February 2, 2015.

The completion time for the project, which will go through a large scale tender bid, is attached to the conditions as 240 days. The monorail project will start its construction in Tuzla district of Istanbul, in the Anatolian side.
http://www.dailysabah.com/istanbul/2...in-in-february

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 05:39 AM   #424
FNNG

Likes (Received): 2702

Sorry to ask this but how many urban train line does istanbul have? I visited istanbul last year and I only take 1 tram line to cross the bridge and also 1 world 2nd oldest underground line which I think is for tourist purpose. I don't remember istanbul have lots of metro line coz if not mistaken I only see 1 tram line on the map. >.<

Also I think Istanbul is a very beautiful city. I would like to visit turkey again since I only spent 6 days at there 3 days at capadocia (the hot air ballon is nice) and 3 days at Istanbul. Btw I think the tram line in the middle of road are kinda dangerous. Ppl need to cross the road to get into the tram. But luckily the driver there are in good manner. :p
FNNG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 11:46 AM   #425
rdgnrdgn

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNNG View Post
Sorry to ask this but how many urban train line does istanbul have?
As far as I know it has 4 subway, 4 tram and 2 funicular lines, also has three-station extension on M4 line. And it has three more subway lines under construction.
rdgnrdgn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #426
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26148

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...s-line-m6.html

Istanbul opens Line M6
20 Apr 2015

TURKEY: President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Mayor Kadir Topbaş attended the opening of Istanbul metro’s Line M6 at 17.00 on April 19.

The 3·3 km line runs east from Levent station on Line M2 to Boğaziçi Üniversitesi/Rumeli Hisarüstü with two intermediate stations. The line has an initial capacity of 8 100 passengers/h per direction.

The latest opening forms part of a plan to expand the Istanbul metro and tram network to 430 km by 2019

lechevallierpatrick, Edil Arda liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 11:38 PM   #427
Edil Arda
The User

By Esat on ulaşımtürkiye.com,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edil Arda View Post

http://ulasimturkiye.com/viewtopic.p...3fe63a28b33d2#

K. Atatürk

lechevallierpatrick, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old April 24th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #428
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

This is Istanbul's so-called mini-metro, a single track line with two to three coaches and just 4 stops. This peculiar solution had been chosen to connect one of the major universities which so-far could only be reached through a very congested road built as part of 1950s suburban development. As the university is on a cliff over the Bosporus, the metro line could not be extended beyond without large expenses and possibly damaging the Bosporus silhouette.
The mayor has also announced that two metro extensions and two new lines will be built soon. Unfortunately with the exception of the Kabatas-Mecidyeköy extension, these lines are all rather isolated solutions for suburbs and do not alleviate traffic in the central districts.
See the map under http://www.dailysabah.com/istanbul/2...ines-400-buses
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 04:39 AM   #429
Osmanlı fransız

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
This is Istanbul's so-called mini-metro, a single track line with two to three coaches and just 4 stops. This peculiar solution had been chosen to connect one of the major universities which so-far could only be reached through a very congested road built as part of 1950s suburban development. As the university is on a cliff over the Bosporus, the metro line could not be extended beyond without large expenses and possibly damaging the Bosporus silhouette.
The mayor has also announced that two metro extensions and two new lines will be built soon. Unfortunately with the exception of the Kabatas-Mecidyeköy extension, these lines are all rather isolated solutions for suburbs and do not alleviate traffic in the central districts.
See the map under
I cannot be called an Istanbul expert. Yet I think I can say that the priority of the municipality (if I assume that the main state is not going to work on the first priority of Turkey, which is to offer equal economic developpement for the all country, in order to avoid immigration to Istanbul) is to offer to all growing suburbs heavy transportation systems to lead all these people from their home to their work.
If Istanbul had already a great suburban railway system they could use, it would indeed be wise to develop a dense metro system in the center, but even this suburban is to be built, through the Marmaray extension on both sides, and it is not sufficient to provide transportation for everyone, so that they need to build M5 to bring people from Ümraniye to Marmaray system, or M7 to replace Marmaray East-West axis in the north of european side.
When these first steps are made, I presume that many people from these areas, at least those who are rich enough to have a car, whom had no choice but to take the car to join the central district, are going to use the metro system instead of their car.
There is just one line I don't see the point, the one between Ataköy and İkitelli, but probably experts of Istanbul can help me on that.
Traffic problem has to be solved by the basis first in my opinion, and then in micro gestion of the center.

Also, the transportation system in the city centerS is already pretty cool for me : The old peninsula is already nicely reachable by metro or tram, the area of Şişli beyoğlu Beşiktaş is going to be upgraded as well with M7, just on the western part will be missing something, but the distance between M2 and MB seems to me too small to make a heavy transport really necessary (and even I think they proposed something along Piyalepaşa bulvarı). Levent and Maslak are both reachable by M2. Kadıköy is also reachable by vapur IDO or metro (new Dudullu Bostancı will help my friend staying around Dudullu to reach Kadıköy), Bakırköy will be crossed by extension of M3, and will be reachable by both M1 and Marmaray.

Which part would you, who know Istanbul more than me, build?
Osmanlı fransız no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #430
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1144

It looks M6 is a heavy metro line like M2 & M4, but due to short route length, is uses only four coach trains.

M1 is definitely a light metro or light rail line, just like T4. What is about M3? Is it light like M1? or heavy like M2/M4/M6.

What kind of metro will be in future for M5, M7 & M8? light or heavy?
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #431
Edil Arda
The User

actually M6 was named as MiniMetro first but due to political doubts its named as M6 which means it is a real line rather than branch of M2.

M3 is heavy as M2, M4 etc.

Future metros will be heavy metro for now.
I don't know any plan to built a LRT.

K. Atatürk

Old July 16th, 2015, 01:25 PM   #432
Ashis Mitra

I suggest convert M1 also to heavy metro like M2, M3, M4, M6, for better transportation
Old July 16th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #433
Edil Arda
The User

yeah, it needs renovation.

K. Atatürk

Old July 16th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #434
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edil Arda View Post
actually M6 was named as MiniMetro first but due to political doubts its named as M6 which means it is a real line rather than branch of M2.

M3 is heavy as M2, M4 etc.

Future metros will be heavy metro for now.
I don't know any plan to built a LRT.
Quote:
I think Ashis is referring to the width of the wagons (and thus to capacity), not the gauge.
Yes, M1, T1, T4 can exchange wagons amongst each other due to same width and overhead catenary.
M3 and 4 are as wide as M2 and thus high capacity, despite using overhead catenary like a tram.
The Üsküdar metro will have a capacity slightly lower than M2-4, probably due to 6 car trains, rather than 4+4 trains. The metro to Mahmutbey should be large capacity like M2-4. The mini metro to Levent will be mini, but apparently fitted for wide wagons but short (3?4?) I forget.
Thanks to all my Turkish friends for clearing my confusion. At last it is clear for me that-

M1 & T4 are light rail lines.
M2, M3, M4 & M6 are metro lines.
T1, T3 & T5 are tram lines.

Edil Arda, lechevallierpatrick liked this post
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:15 PM   #435
Edil Arda
The User

Quote:
The Üsküdar metro will have a capacity slightly lower than M2-4, probably due to 6 car trains, rather than 4+4 trains.
Baron, do you remember the reason for that?
Because of platform length or train length?

K. Atatürk
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:28 PM   #436
Osmanlı fransız

Likes (Received): 29

I think they could name M6 M1 bis actually like we have in Paris some lines linking specific places unreachable with common lines. It would be more clear. But they cannot use anymore hafif metro or mini métro names I think.
M1 transformation into a heavy metro is hard as I understood from Baron hirsh but maybe they could at least buy new trains to make the journey more confortable.
Osmanlı fransız no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 11:16 AM   #437
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26148

Yandex Metro app released new map - Istanbul transport map (metro, trams, Marmaray, BRT). Unfortunately, all explanations of service changes are in Turkish:
https://itunes.apple.com/ru/app/ande...392589075?mt=8

image by dimlys46, on Flickr

Edil Arda, lechevallierpatrick liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 12:47 PM   #438
Edil Arda
The User

seems like they basically copy the official one: http://www.istanbul-ulasim.com.tr/me...g-haritasi.jpg

K. Atatürk

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old July 21st, 2015, 01:32 PM   #439
R-Link
Very slow user

Likes (Received): 304

And where are the transport better: in Istanbul or Ankara?
R-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 02:36 PM   #440
Edil Arda
The User

Ankara was better a decade ago, but thanks to its lazy mayor who is currently making dino sculptures, İstanbul and even İzmir is better today.

K. Atatürk

dimlys1994 liked this post

Tags
istanbul, metro, tram, túnel, ulaşım