daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2015, 03:14 PM   #441
R-Link
Very slow user

Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edil Arda View Post
even İzmir is better today.
But so unexpectedly!
R-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2015, 03:47 PM   #442
Edil Arda
The User

Likes (Received): 28949

İzban is wonderful system despite inadequate frequency.

It will be better in following years.

K. Atatürk
Edil Arda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #443
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/u...ar-tender.html

Istanbul calls metro car tender
24 Jul 2015

TURKEY: İstanbul Ulaşım has called tenders for 75 four-car trainsets to operate on the future Line M7 of the Istanbul metro.

The first tranche of deliveries would take place up to 42 months after the contract signing. Two trainsets are to be delivered 22 months after signing, with 34 more to be delivered at a rate of two per month. IU plans to continue test running 120 days after the last trains of the first tranche have been delivered

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #444
Osmanlı fransız

Likes (Received): 29

I think this line is going to be crowded and one-sided as M4 on anatolian side. Why don't they want 8 cars train?

dimlys1994 liked this post
Osmanlı fransız no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #445
Edil Arda
The User

they are connectible

K. Atatürk

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old July 25th, 2015, 05:44 AM   #446
Osmanlı fransız

Wow they built M4 and M7 using the same technics? So the M7 is not going to be a fully automatic metro as the M5 will be (if I'm not mistaken)?
Old July 25th, 2015, 12:37 PM   #447
Edil Arda
The User

M5 is fully automatic but I'm not sure about M7.

M2 and mini metro uses third rail while M4 uses overhead catenary.
I have no idea about M5 and M7's technic.

K. Atatürk
Old July 26th, 2015, 12:34 AM   #448
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1145

I don’t understand why Istanbul metro is using differend current collector? M2 is using side rail, but M3 & M4 ae using overhead rail. Why this different? Which one is more powerful?

In future which will be used by M5, M6 & M7 - side rail or overhead rail?

All metro lines are still unconnected, there is no metro connection between M3, M2 and M4. I never saw such peculiarity in most places. If anybody continue to journey from Olympiat to Kartal, he/she would take metro M3, then light rail M1, then suburban train Marmaray, and then again metro M4. How impractical!!!!!
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #449
Ashis Mitra

This is the map of former tram network of Istanbul See how large it was, also see the new moderntram follows an important part of the former network
Old July 26th, 2015, 02:04 AM   #450
Edil Arda
The User

thanks to American / automobile lover president, those lines closed...

wikimedia.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
I don’t understand why Istanbul metro is using differend current collector? M2 is using side rail, but M3 & M4 ae using overhead rail. Why this different? Which one is more powerful?

All metro lines are still unconnected, there is no metro connection between M3, M2 and M4. I never saw such peculiarity in most places. If anybody continue to journey from Olympiat to Kartal, he/she would take metro M3, then light rail M1, then suburban train Marmaray, and then again metro M4. How impractical!!!!!
I believe lines of İstanbul metro will never connect.
No idea about selection of power source.

K. Atatürk
Old July 26th, 2015, 02:50 AM   #451
Osmanlı fransız

Why metro would all connect since Istanbul centers are many (just to see all the M2 stations and Bakırköy and these jobs area in western suburbs and even on Asian side not real center but industrial areas or Ataşehir) and unless you can build 15 anti-sismic tunnels or bridge it is hard to build more than 2 or 3 lines between Anatolia and Europe?
Marmaray and M2 should be the backbones of this network, and that's what they are going to be on long term. That seems to be efficient and logical for Istanbul.
Of course as you mentionned, it is too late now (100 years about) to build Paris dense Metro in Istanbul.
Old July 27th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #452
Messi
Tinerci Gençlik

Likes (Received): 2430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post

how do you want to connect two lines directly which have a distance of more than 20 km between each other? At least they are connected indirectly. You can go from olympic stadium to Kartal (final destination on asian side) without leaving the subway system.
Old July 27th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #453
Osmanlı fransız

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messi View Post
how do you want to connect two lines directly which have a distance of more than 20 km between each other? At least they are connected indirectly. You can go from olympic stadium to Kartal (final destination on asian side) without leaving the subway system.
I guess our Indian friend is stuck in his vision of istanbul main character being a former capital but not anymore like Kolkota. He is studying istanbul metro for some years now and still didn't study istanbul geology and geography...
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:38 AM   #454
Ashis Mitra

I said that about indirect connection. But atleast M3 and M2 could be connected at Yenikapi, is it impossible?
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #455
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edil Arda View Post
thanks to American / automobile lover president, those lines closed...

wikimedia.org
This map was drawn by me and uploaded to Wikimedia

Edil Arda, Swede liked this post
Old July 29th, 2015, 02:39 AM   #456
Osmanlı fransız

Sorry Mr. My words were stronger than my thoughts
actually as you can realize on metro map, large portions between the current M3 and Yenikapı are already on the M1 line, and there is also now T4 (soon to be converted to metro? We will see (light rail or tramway whatever).
So it would be counter productive because of istanbul geography (hills and bosphorus) and current développement (things were not planned on long term in the beginning especially M1 who now make some problems to planners I think because it already follow most crowded areas and would make a parallel metro line partly uneffective) to build what we call reseau en étoile or star shaped network in english (look the map RER of Paris metropolis for more informations). Istanbul network with all lines going to Yenikapı would be horrible for users with an overconcentrated station like we have in Paris (see chatelet station on RER map which is the biggest station in the world and actually horrible). Also as you may know Istanbul center is an open sky archeological site and municipality is not willing anymore to spend millions in metro lines with 10 years delay because of archeological discoveries (and it is better this way at least it will stay a bit safe under the ground if not over).

So they planned to build a second exchange hub in Bakırköy Incirli. Now it is just M1 and metrobüs, in the future will be also the M3 because the extension is planned to go there and not Yenikapı. But when it becomes interesting is they planned also M2 extension from Yenikapı to Incirli. In this case there would be 2 major hub in southern European istanbul : Yenikapı and Incirli. And it would allow M1 M2 and M3 to be fully connected. And then help people to reach center without paying too much money. Also it would divide the transfer transit into 2 different stations and make it more efficient. For Asian side staying, they have already Yenikapı, Incirli is för European side people.
hope someone is going to add a new comment about it.

Ashis Mitra liked this post
Old July 29th, 2015, 02:43 AM   #457
Osmanlı fransız

Bakırköy might be still unknown by outsiders and people staying in Anatolian or eastern European side, but it is also as far as I newly learnt a massive shopping and commercial area in western istanbul, which make it logical for a connexion (Marmaray will come here also but more south).
Old August 1st, 2015, 10:40 PM   #458
Ashis Mitra

FIRST GENERATION TRAM NETWORK IN ISTANBUL

This is the complete list of the former tram routes. Note then the tram service covered the entire city. It was a great blunder to destroy that marvellous system. Bold names are both termini, and ordinary names are via streets. RED places means these routes are now served by 2nd generation tram and heritage tram also

1 Kadıköy - Karaca Ahmet - Bağlarbaşı - Kısıklı
4 Kadıköy - Altıyol - İhlamor - Bostancı
6 Kadıköy - Altıyol - İhlamor - Fenerbahçe
8 Kadıköy - Altıyol - Hasanpaşa
10 Tünel - Taksim - Harbiye - Şişli
11 Beyazıt - Sirkeci - Eminönü - Karaköy - Tünel - Taksim - Harbiye - Şişli
11* Üsküdar - Bağlarbaşı - Kısıklı
12 Fatih - Beyazıt - Sirkeci - Eminönü - Karaköy - Tünel - Taksim - Harbiye
12* Kadıköy - Karaca Ahmet - Üsküdar
14 Tünel - Taksim - Harbiye - Maçka
15 Sirkeci - Eminönü - Karaköy - Tünel - Taksim - Harbiye - Maçka
16 Beyazıt - Sirkeci - Eminönü - Karaköy - Tünel - Taksim - Harbiye - Maçka
17 Sirkeci - Eminönü - Karaköy - Tünel - Taksim - Harbiye - Şişli - Mecidiyeköy
19 Aksaray - Beyazıt - Sirkeci - Eminönü - Karaköy - Tünel - Taksim - Harbiye - Tatavla (Kurtuluş)
20 Kadıköy - Altıyol - Moda
22 Eminönü - Karaköy - Beşiktaş - Ortaköy - Bebek
23 Aksaray - Beyazıt - Sirkeci - Eminönü - Karaköy - Beşiktaş - Ortaköy
32 Topkapı - Aksaray - Beyazıt - Sirkeci - Bahçekapı
33 Yedikule - Aksaray - Beyazıt - Sirkeci - Bahçekapı
34 Fatih - Beyazıt - Sirkeci - Eminönü - Karaköy - Beşiktaş
37 Edirnekapı - Fatih - Beyazıt - Sirkeci - Bahçekapı

Edil Arda, dimlys1994, Uğur Ömer., Messi liked this post
Old August 2nd, 2015, 02:51 AM   #459
Edil Arda
The User

Great work!

K. Atatürk

Old August 2nd, 2015, 07:08 PM   #460
Osmanlı fransız

Mmmmmh I would suggest to use red for modern tram and another color for heritage tram. To me heritage trams are just decoration, for tourists right now.
Area on cumhuriyet caddesi and istiklal are already nicely connected with metro and funiculars, so this heritage tram doesn't have any opportunity to efficientely extend in my opinion.
But on Anatolian side, we could imagine they make the current heritage tram longer and with maybe one or two more cars. As I see on your map, the tramline could be extended to direct Kadıköy-Üsküdar link. I am not expert of tram cars, but we could imagine a 2 car tram to have a better capacity. Certainly I would take it rather than use metrobüs, otobüs or marmaray to reach üsküdar from Kadıköy.

In general, I would like to see more tram lines on Anatolian side where ground is more flat than European side (but on that side too would be necessary though). Especially tramlines making links between M4 and M5 (it is a huge space), or along bosphorus (same from Kabataş to Bebek...) that people could actually use to come back directly their home rather than 12 metro lines with 20 minutes to exit the station and built along highways.
Istanbul metro is not dense but long transit system. Tramway can fill in holes between stations and between lines, it can be a faster and less expensive solution if it is nicely planned to give to everyone possibility of railway system. And still better than bus.
Considering the side of the city, people can't all have a line in front of their home going directly to center...

Unfortunately, claim you will build metroline is an easy way to stop project and lie about the problems you met. Kabataş Beşiktaş tram extension should be built from years, but they decided if I'm not mistaken to start this endless metro project to make everyone happy car users already unhappy with traffic saturation and people happy to have a modern metro line in an hypothetic future.

Tags
istanbul, metro, tram, túnel, ulaşım