daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2017, 01:04 AM   #521
Edil Arda
The User

Likes (Received): 28949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
After reading many websites I’ve recently saw some matters, which arise some questions and curiosity. I’m asking these because I want to compare the Istanbul Metro with my city’s Kolkata Metro. Although the main difference is that Istanbul metro has some overhead rail metro routes, whereas Kolkata metro has only 3rd rail route. Here I’m writing.

1) Line 2 & 6 use 750 V 3rd rail, but line 3 & 4 use 1500 V overhead rail. Why there are two types of current collection? Is there any specific reason?

2) Line 3 is being extended to southern Istanbul up-to IDO from Kirajli. It will be a very important extension because it will connect suburban rail station Bakirkoy. Passengers coming from Halkali could get down there, and could take the metro to reach western Istanbul very easily. I heard the line is under construction and will be opened in 2019, is it true? Will this extension also be fully underground?

3) Line 4 is being extended to eastern Istanbul up-to Airport from Tavsantepe. It will be also a very important extension because it will connect Asian city center to Airport . Passengers coming from different countries could get down there, and could take the metro to reach Asian city center very easily. It will be then the longest line of entire metro system. I heard the line is under construction and will be opened in 2018, is it true? Will this extension also be fully underground?

4) There will be a new line 5 following Üsküdar - Ümraniye - Dudullu - Çekmekköy- Sancak tepe route (20 km, 16 stations). It will be 2nd Asian side metro line. Initially it will be another isolated line, however, in future it will be connected by true metro line (line 8). Asian side has much lack of rail transport, so this line should be constructed faster. It was initially planned to open in 2016, but the deadline was missed, now it was set to 2017. Will it truly opened this year, personally I am very eager for this line. How it would be, fully or partly underground?

Beside this, line 7 & line 8 should be constructed faster, because they will connect all isolated metro lines respectively in European and Asian side. A metro system with many isolated lines is very bad, and I never saw such anywhere in the world. Both of these lines is planned to open in 2018 & 2019, I hope they will not miss their deadline, and from 2020, Istanbul will get a good metro system with these all 7 lines, (may be 8 if they convert the line 1 from light rail to metro).
1- Probably no, just for monetary reasons.

2- Yes, except that it may not be open in 2019.

3- Yes.

4- Fully underground, actually all lines that are U/C is fully underground if we don't count M7's Nurtepe station, which will be on a viaduct.

+Deadlines will be missed, because municipality is not acting as it should be.

K. Atatürk

Ashis Mitra liked this post
Edil Arda no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2017, 01:07 AM   #522
Edil Arda
The User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre de Coubertin View Post
Hello turkish friends,

I have just 4 questions for you.

1. When will be opened M5 from Uskudar to Sultanbeyli

2. Do you confirm that M7 will be ready for last part of 2018?

3. Do you have any news about the extension of M4 to Sabiha Gokcen airport?

4. Any news about new line to the 3rd airport?

Thanks
1- M5 from Üsküdar to Ümraniye or Yamanevler is going to be open in few months.

2- Not sure, probably won't.

3- Yes, it's U/C.

4- The tender held, but construction didn't start yet.

K. Atatürk
Old May 28th, 2017, 09:27 AM   #523
Pierre de Coubertin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 115

Is M4 to Sabiha Gokcen under costruction? Really? When has it started? When will open? Really a good job.

Edil Ard a you are so kind so could say how will be the metro route to link 3rd airport to Istanbul?

So in 2019 is Istanbul going to have lines from M1 to M7?

Last edited by Pierre de Coubertin; May 28th, 2017 at 10:01 AM.
Pierre de Coubertin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #524
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1145

Edil Arda thank you or your reply. Yes this is a problem for many cities around the world which has both tram & metro, including my city Kolkata, Rio de Janeiro ,and now Istanbul. How casual are the transport company and municipality that they are not serious about these metro projects, which will change the traffic-jam culture in Istanbul. So sad, dirty politics.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 01:24 PM   #525
Ashis Mitra

For improvement of our metro system, I am comparing some information about Istanbul metro, please answer these questions—

1) I heard although the platforms of Line 2 & 4 are fit for handle 8 car trains, but still those run 6 & 4 car trains respectively. Why they do that? Is the Istanbul metro not crowded as they expected?

2) Why the Halic station was constructed such as on a bridge? Any special reason?

3) Why they have chosen overhead rails on line 3 & 4, and not 3rd rail?

4)Is there any system for baggage checking when entering in the station area or platform area?

5) What kind of ticket they uses—RFID token or magnetic paper ticket?

6) Is drinking water available in station area?

7) Are there any display board in platform about next train? If yes, what kind of it—dot matrix or LED?

8) Do they play light music in background at station platforms?

9) Do all stations has side platforms? Or some has island platforms or both side platforms?

10) Is there any special seats for children, ladies, senior citizens and handicapped persons in both platform and inside the metro cars?

11) Is there any entertainment television in platforms?

12) Is photography allowed inside station premises?

13) What kind of fare it is used for, single, return and multiple journey tickets?

14) Do they have all day ticket system i.e. unlimited journey on any metro routes for a day?

15) Are the metro cars air-conditioned?
Old May 28th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #526
Edil Arda
The User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre de Coubertin View Post
Is M4 to Sabiha Gokcen under costruction? Really? When has it started? When will open? Really a good job.

Edil Ard a you are so kind so could say how will be the metro route to link 3rd airport to Istanbul?

So in 2019 is Istanbul going to have lines from M1 to M7?
It's building directly by government, I don't know exact dates for Sabiha Gökçen line.

3rd Airport line will start from Gayrettepe and end at Halkalı (Marmaray),

Not sure about M7 but probably yes.

K. Atatürk

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old May 28th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #527
Edil Arda
The User

Quote:
For improvement of our metro system, I am comparing some information about Istanbul metro, please answer these questions—

1) I heard although the platforms of Line 2 & 4 are fit for handle 8 car trains, but still those run 6 & 4 car trains respectively. Why they do that? Is the Istanbul metro not crowded as they expected?

2) Why the Halic station was constructed such as on a bridge? Any special reason?

3) Why they have chosen overhead rails on line 3 & 4, and not 3rd rail?

4)Is there any system for baggage checking when entering in the station area or platform area?

5) What kind of ticket they uses—RFID token or magnetic paper ticket?

6) Is drinking water available in station area?

7) Are there any display board in platform about next train? If yes, what kind of it—dot matrix or LED?

8) Do they play light music in background at station platforms?

9) Do all stations has side platforms? Or some has island platforms or both side platforms?

10) Is there any special seats for children, ladies, senior citizens and handicapped persons in both platform and inside the metro cars?

11) Is there any entertainment television in platforms?

12) Is photography allowed inside station premises?

13) What kind of fare it is used for, single, return and multiple journey tickets?

14) Do they have all day ticket system i.e. unlimited journey on any metro routes for a day?

15) Are the metro cars air-conditioned?
1- They operate with 4 and 8 cars depending on crowd. They don't use 8 cars all time because they might not have enough cars and it won't be profitable as now.

2- Due to geography of Haliç, an underground station would dramatically effect line's elevation and cause cancellation of stations; Şişhane, Vezneciler.

3- Don't know.

4- In recent months officers check baggages at toll area.

5- NFC.

6- Yes, automats.

7- Yes, large LCD's and LED panels depending on line.

8- No.

9- Many has island platforms.

10- There are wheelchair areas in cars.

11- Not in the platform but in cars.

12- No, but you may take quickly, won't cause any trouble.

13- http://www.iett.istanbul/webimage/im...BCcretleri.jpg

14- Nope.

15- Yes.

K. Atatürk

Ashis Mitra, EasySeven liked this post
Old May 29th, 2017, 10:07 AM   #528
Ashis Mitra

What are NFC & automats?
Old May 29th, 2017, 12:23 PM   #529
Edil Arda
The User

NFC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_field_communication

Automat: The box at the right side,

K. Atatürk

Ashis Mitra, byonnarje177 liked this post
Old May 30th, 2017, 08:38 PM   #530
Ashis Mitra

Thankfully Istanbul has done the correction almost after 25 years by returning tram in city. The new tram is much different than old tram. The Old tram network was single coach, high floor, opened window, bow collector, noisy, and slow (same like today's T2 heritage tram), but much expanded and served almost the entire city. There were two different tram network on European and Asian side, and both were dense. The new tram is double coach, low floor, air-conditioned, panto-graph, calm and fast, but only one route.

Trams returned in Istanbul as three separate systems, two are heritage and another is modern. The heritage tram system opened in 1990 on European side and in 2003 on Asian side respectively by old tram company and new tram company, now European system uses same rolling stocks, which were formerly used on the original network, and Asian system uses 2nd hand trams from Germany. The European side maintains the same colour livery, same design, both in interior and exterior, even the old route board style. These are high floor cars, uses bow collector on European side, and panto-graph on Asian side, and runs on two short stretches (both were served by old tram network). The modern system opened 2 years after, that is in 1992, due to seeing the returned interest about tram, helped by heritage tram. These system uses low floor cars, and uses pantograph, and serves as a long city line.

The new tram route has a common stretch with old route between Kabatas to Topkapi. I don’t understand if they thought trams causes traffic jam, congestion etc. on narrow streets, why they have returned it on this stretch which narrow street, which was once served by tram, and now again served by tram. So what was the point about returning tram on the same alignment which was called narrow and congested? Please write details.

Personally I am happy to see that the single company operates metro, tram, BRT, funicular, ferry and lift, which is unique a standard in Europe (Istanbul mostly situates in Europe).
Old May 30th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #531
Ashis Mitra

Curiosity about Istanbul tram

After reading many websites I’ve recently saw some matters, which arise some questions and curiosity. I’m asking these because I want to compare the Istanbul Tram with my city’s Kolkata Tram. Although the main difference is that Istanbul tram has closed its original network at sixties, whereas Kolkata tram has is continuing its journey, overcoming that notorious anti-tram sixties, although some routes has closed. Here I’m writing—

1) There are two planned branch lines from Zeytinburnu to Bakırköy, from Kabatas to Beşiktaş and from Kadıköy to Bostancı, but the first branch is almost half served by light rail line M1, and the next half will be served by metro line 3. Light rail & metro are both much faster than tram, because those will run on completely reserved track, whereas tram will run on street level. People will not prefer tram when there will be parallel metro route. Similarly the Besiktas extension, which was formerly used by old tram system, now planned to served by metro line 8. Kadikoy to Bostanci route is already served by metro line 4. There the same question arrives. So What will be the positive ness to extend that route, the Bakirkoy branch and the Bostanci route foolishly? Those will be a total wastage of money, and will not profitable.

2) I think the branch line from Eminonu to Bayrampasa, and the extension from from Bağcılar to Spor Salonu will be better because those will serve new areas, where tram service is needed, but I couldn't find a map of those line. Please write some details about the current status and the projected opening dates of those lines mentioned on point 2.

3) I heard a new tram route is planned between Atatürk Olympic Stadium and MetroKent via Güvercintepe. but I couldn't find a map of the line. Please write some details. I heard this route will be opened in 2019, really? Has the construction started?

4) Is there any tram conductor inside both heritage & modern tramcars for ticketing? Or tickets should be bought before boarding the tram from tram stations?

5) What kind of ticket they used in both heritage & modern tram—simple paper ticket or electronic card?

6) Are other motor vehicles allowed on both heritage & modern tram track? I saw the heritage network is completely street running and unreserved, also the part of modern network, so I’m asking this.

7) Are all stops as tram stations for both heritage & modern? Or there are some single unreserved street surface stops?

8) Does the entire route is middle of the road for both heritage & modern system? Or sometimes on left or right side?

9) Is there any special seats for children, ladies, senior citizens and handicapped persons inside the tram cars in both heritage & modern systems?

10) Is there any system for monthly tickets and all-day tickets for both heritage & modern tram routes?

11) What are the fares for a single journey in both heritage & modern systems?
Old May 31st, 2017, 01:01 AM   #532
Edil Arda
The User

Quote:
After reading many websites I’ve recently saw some matters, which arise some questions and curiosity. I’m asking these because I want to compare the Istanbul Tram with my city’s Kolkata Tram. Although the main difference is that Istanbul tram has closed its original network at sixties, whereas Kolkata tram has is continuing its journey, overcoming that notorious anti-tram sixties, although some routes has closed. Here I’m writing—

1) There are two planned branch lines from Zeytinburnu to Bakırköy, from Kabatas to Beşiktaş and from Kadıköy to Bostancı, but the first branch is almost half served by light rail line M1, and the next half will be served by metro line 3. Light rail & metro are both much faster than tram, because those will run on completely reserved track, whereas tram will run on street level. People will not prefer tram when there will be parallel metro route. Similarly the Besiktas extension, which was formerly used by old tram system, now planned to served by metro line 8. Kadikoy to Bostanci route is already served by metro line 4. There the same question arrives. So What will be the positive ness to extend that route, the Bakirkoy branch and the Bostanci route foolishly? Those will be a total wastage of money, and will not profitable.

2) I think the branch line from Eminonu to Bayrampasa, and the extension from from Bağcılar to Spor Salonu will be better because those will serve new areas, where tram service is needed, but I couldn't find a map of those line. Please write some details about the current status and the projected opening dates of those lines mentioned on point 2.

3) I heard a new tram route is planned between Atatürk Olympic Stadium and MetroKent via Güvercintepe. but I couldn't find a map of the line. Please write some details. I heard this route will be opened in 2019, really? Has the construction started?

4) Is there any tram conductor inside both heritage & modern tramcars for ticketing? Or tickets should be bought before boarding the tram from tram stations?

5) What kind of ticket they used in both heritage & modern tram—simple paper ticket or electronic card?

6) Are other motor vehicles allowed on both heritage & modern tram track? I saw the heritage network is completely street running and unreserved, also the part of modern network, so I’m asking this.

7) Are all stops as tram stations for both heritage & modern? Or there are some single unreserved street surface stops?

8) Does the entire route is middle of the road for both heritage & modern system? Or sometimes on left or right side?

9) Is there any special seats for children, ladies, senior citizens and handicapped persons inside the tram cars in both heritage & modern systems?

10) Is there any system for monthly tickets and all-day tickets for both heritage & modern tram routes?

11) What are the fares for a single journey in both heritage & modern systems?

1- Zeytinburnu-Bakırköy, wont be realised, Kabataş-Beşiktaş; maybe but probably no due to narrowness of the road, Kadıköy-Bostancı; visionary, necessary project but municipality is tone eager to built it.
Kadıköy-Bostancı is not already served by M4, routes are dramatically different. And we desperately need it due to insufficient bus services.

2-

3- No info.

4- You should use your İstanbulKart or tickets for 3 or 5 rides.

5- We use NFC at all systems.

6- Actually no. Those are heritage tram route somehow entered the route legally, but those on the modern route will be punished via cameras.

7- Unreserved street for heritage tram only.

8- No, it depends.

9- As I said before, we have special areas for wheelchairs.

10- As I said before, no.

11- As I shared before: http://istanbulkart.iett.istanbul/we...BCcretleri.jpg

K. Atatürk

dimlys1994, Ashis Mitra liked this post
Old June 1st, 2017, 09:34 PM   #533
Ashis Mitra

Thank you for your valuable information for both metro and tram in Istanbul, I will try to take this points and will try to apply in Kolkata as far as possible.

I don’t understand if they thought trams causes traffic jam, congestion etc. on narrow streets, why they have returned it on this stretch which narrow street, which was once served by tram, and now again served by tram. So what was the point about returning tram on the same alignment which was called narrow and congested? Please write details.
Old August 5th, 2017, 12:56 AM   #534
Ashis Mitra

There are some important links about the tram and metro -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trams_in_Istanbul
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istanbul_Tram
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istanbul_Metro

Those who are interested in metro system, I have created this group. It is just for information. Here is no barrier of continent, but all posts should be made only in English.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5048...53369/?fref=ts
Old September 26th, 2017, 03:19 PM   #535
Ghostpoet

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edil Arda View Post
1- M5 from Üsküdar to Ümraniye or Yamanevler is going to be open in few months.
Any news about the M5 opening?

Thnx!

Ghostpoet
Ghostpoet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #536
Edil Arda
The User

Unbelievably there are no info on this line,
we expect it to open in few months.

K. Atatürk
Old December 15th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #537
al-numbers

Likes (Received): 1373

First fully automated subway system starts operating in Istanbul

Istanbul residents are now able to enjoy an automated metro system which became operational on Friday and has increased the length of the city’s metro network to 167 kilometers. By 2023, the city will have a subway system of more than 1,000 kilometers long.

Quote:
A groundbreaking innovative transportation system was offered for the convenience of Istanbul residents. The first phase of the Turkey's first fully automated subway system became operational on Friday in the Asian side of Istanbul with an opening ceremony attended by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım and Istanbul Metropolitan Mayor Mevlüt Uysal.

Speaking at the opening ceremony of the driverless metro, President Erdoğan highlighted the aim to building a transportation network that operates independently of vehicle traffic in Istanbul. With the operation of Üsküdar-Ümraniye driverless metro, the total length of subway lines in Istanbul has reached 167 kilometers. By 2018, Istanbul will have a 355-kilometers-long metro network, Erdoğan informed.

After his speech in Üsküdar, Erdoğan, accompanied by PM Yıldırım, Transport Minister Ahmet Arslan, Istanbul Mayor Uysal and other high ranking officials, went for an inaugural spin, making the first journey to Ümraniye.

As part of Turkey's 2023 vision which entails the accomplishment of mega projects, the government's aim is to put a 1,023 kilometers-long subway network in Istanbul, hence Istanbul will have a transportation system that is not attached to the city's heavy traffic.

The first phase of Üskudar-Sancaktepe Metro line in the Asian part of the city, the 10.5-kilometer part of the 20 kilometer-long metro line from Üsküdar to Ümraniye is now operational while the remaining part will be launched in June 2018. The estimated cost of the project was reported at 800 million euros.

The full-length line consists of 16 stations and will carry 700,000 passengers per day when it is completely functional.

The metro line will have 126 cars in total. The maximum passenger capacity per hour will be 64,800 while the maximum speed of the cars will be 80km/h. The driverless metro will be operated from a remote command center.

The line will be integrated with two major intercontinental mass transportation lines - Bus Rapid Transit (Metrobus) and Marmaray intercontinental undersea subway- which connect Asian and European parts of the city.

The line will have 16 stations, including Üsküdar, Fıstıkağacı, Bağlarbaşı, Altunizade, Kısıklı, Libadiye, Çarşı, Ümraniye, İnkılap Mahallesi, Çakmak, Ihlamurkuyu, Altınşehir, Lise, Dudullu, Toplu Konutlar, Çekmeköy and Sancaktepe.

The metro will stop at each station for 20 seconds and will run every 90 seconds. When the second phase of the metro line becomes operational, the duration of the whole trip will last 27 minutes. President Erdoğan also announced that the plan is to extend this automated metro line until Sabiha Gökçen Airport.

Indeed, Istanbul has a driverless metro line, the funicular, which connects Taksim and Kabataş. The funicalar became operational in 2006 and the distance between these two destinations only takes 3 minutes, and the funicular carries almost 3.000 passengers per day.
Source: https://www.dailysabah.com/istanbul/...ng-in-istanbul

ReginaMills, sali_haci liked this post
al-numbers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 06:57 PM   #538
Ghostpoet

Likes (Received): 34

http://www.metro-report.com/news/met...-istanbul.html

Quote:
TURKEY: A ceremony to inaugurate Istanbul’s first driverless metro line was held at Üsküdar on December 15, attended by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım and Mayor Mevlüt Uysal.
The first 10·5 km phase of Line M5, the second metro route on the Asian side of the city, connects Üsküdar with Yamanevler with seven intermediate stations. End-to-end journey time is 17 min.
Construction of the TL3·5bn project started in March 2012 and was undertaken by Doğuş Construction Group. The second phase, from Yamanevler to Çekmeköy, is expected to be commissioned in June 2018, and would take the route to 20 km with 16 stations. End-to-end journey time would then be 27 min.
CAF has supplied a fleet of 21 six-car trainsets with Mitsubishi electrical and automation equipment under a €119m order placed in June 2014. The first trainset was delivered from Spain in November 2016. The 132 m long sets have capacity for 1 622 passengers. Maximum speed is 90 km/h and power is drawn from overhead wires at 1·5 kV DC. The rolling stock has been produced with 15% local content.
Bombardier has supplied its Cityflo 650 CBTC signalling, which allows 90 sec headways, giving Line M5 a design capacity of 55 000 passengers/h per direction. The stations are fitted with platform screen doors.
Ridership on Line M5 is forecast at 700 000 passengers a day. In the longer term, the route would be extended east from Çekmeköy to Sabiha Gökçen Airport.
Ghostpoet
Ghostpoet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 11:49 PM   #539
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1039

Istanbul orders more Hyundai-Rotem metro trains

HYUNDAI-Rotem, Korea, has received a Won 156.5bn ($US 143m) contract to supply 120 cars for operation on the new Line M7 of the Istanbul metro.

The trains will be manufactured at Hyundai-Rotem’s plant in Turkey and will have 50% local content. The company says it will be able to shorten the delivery time by applying some of the proven designs used on the 300 cars it has already supplied to Istanbul.

Each train will 86.28m long and 2.9m wide, which is smaller than the 90m-long, 3.1m-wide trains it has previously supplied, due to smaller-profile tunnels on Line M7.

Line M7 is being built on the European side of Istanbul. The 24.5km Kabatas-Besiktas - Mahumtbey section is due to open in 2018, followed by an 18.5km extension to Esenyurt in 2020.

dimlys1994 liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2017, 12:36 AM   #540
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5776

Newly opened Üsküdar metro station on M5

https://www.ntv.com.tr/galeri/ekonom...HEGH6Q8qRvyEKQ

dimlys1994, sali_haci liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
istanbul, metro, tram, túnel, ulaşım