daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #121
Messi
Tinerci Gençlik

Likes (Received): 2430

Actually there aren't two types of metro in Istanbul, to be excatly in the world. The municipality used the term "hafif metro" for M1 in order to distinguish it from the other line. Until last year namings like M1, M2 didn't exist so they called one line hafif metro "light metro" and the other just "metro". The other was called hafif metro because it was not 100% underground but also built on viaducts so they named it light metro but there aren't two types of metro. There is light rail which is a type of higher capacity tramway with isolated track. Since more lines are coming up soon they introduced the M1,M2,M3 etc.. system.

Now to your questions. I don't know how to answer your questions since some of your lines you mentioned aren't u/c yet, some are partly u/c and you also didn't add some which are actually u/c but let's try..

a)Yenikapi - Bagcilar - Basaksehir 20 km: Here you see a map of that line but that's not how the line runs actually. http://i40.************/34i0cqb.jpg
It is more Kirazli-I - Basaksehir and Kirazli-I - Olimpiyat Stadi since the line splits in two lines. This line is supposed to go until Bakirköy someday (you can see it on the map, the blue dashed line)

The other line on the map "Esenler-Kirazli-1" is the extension of M1 (or hafif metro how you call it) amd that one is supposed to go to Halkali one day (also blue dashed line)

On the map it looks like one long line (that's also what many people think) but these are two lines which cross in Kirazli-I if you look carefully.

These two lines abobe are supposed to be completed by the end of 2009 but I think it will be more within the first months of 2010.

b)Otogar - Besiktas 13.5 km (Linear Metro due to steep gradients):
There isn't such a project as far as I know but you can travel from Otokar to Besiktas already by metro. First you take the M1 and switch to M2 and there you take the finicular in Taksim to Kabatas. From Kabatas you have to walk like 10 minutes.

c)Yeşilköy-Atatürk Airport-Bahcelievler-İkitelli metro line. Planned line will be 14.3 km long: Never heard of such a line either but again once the lines I posted above on the picture are completed you'll be able to travel from the airport to Ikitelli by changing the metro in kirazli-I

d)Bakırköy-Bahçelievler-Bağcılar metro line. Planned line will be 8.8 km long: Well that the blue dashed line I was talking about above. The construction didn't start since it's part of the second phase project will are planned to be completed in 2014-2015. Right now first phase lines are u/c which will be completed in 2009-2011

f)Kabataş-Beşiktaş-Mecidiyeköy-Kagithane-Alibeyköy metro line. Planned line will be 10 km long: This is third phase which is the last phase, to be completed by 2023 (100th anniversary of the Turkish Republic" Until that day all there phases will be completed which means about 550 km of subway in Istanbul.

g)22 km long Otogar-Bağcılar-Başakşehir-Olimpiyat Stadı metro line
Well that's first line I talked about above.

h)Üsküdar-Beykoz Metro line That's also second phase but there is another line Kadiköy-Kartal which is parallel to that line and that one will be completed next year as well.

It must be irritating for you since you don't know Istanbul but even for us it is irritating. How come that an Indian guy is so much interested in Istanbul's metro development?

Highcliff liked this post
Messi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #122
Matty

Likes (Received): 3

I really dig those train interiors.

Matty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #123
hokomoko

Likes (Received): 86

30 new Citadis 301 evolution tramcars are on production line for Istanbul T1 :

hokomoko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #124
hokomoko

T3 Kadikoy - Moda (line 20 in the past) tramway

image hosted on flickr

Old March 7th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #125
hokomoko

T4 extention works and the Rotem LRT car

image hosted on flickr

Old March 8th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #126
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messi View Post

It must be irritating for you since you don't know Istanbul but even for us it is irritating. How come that an Indian guy is so much interested in Istanbul's metro development?
That's the question. I'm very very much interested about Istanbul for the following reasons -

I live in Kolkata (formerly Calcutta) in India, and my city is running oldest operating Asian tram since 1902 & oldest Indian metro since 1984.

There are some telepathic similarities between my city Kolkata & Ystanbul. Both were the former capital of their country, and both cities have tram & metro. The only tram difference is that Kolkata is running tram continuously till 1902, against many obstacles, whereas Ystanbul had no trams between 1966 & 1990.

There are infinite thanks for your answeres about Istanbul metro. I'll later ask you more & more questions until I'm satisfied about Istanbul tram & metro, because I've never met anybody such you, who is mostly serious about Istanbul's tram & metro.

Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #127
Messi
Tinerci Gençlik

I'm planing to draw a current map on a google earth map with existing and u/c lines but I'm too lazy right now.. Including the Marmaray project there is about 110 km u/c right now. Have you seen any topic about Kolkata subway around here. Since you mean there are some similarities I would also like to know if both systems look similar as well.

Old March 16th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #128
Ashis Mitra

Messi, I've recentrly created this link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trams_in_Istanbul. My request to you to verify that page and also point me are those informations correct or not.

You can get latest updates about Kolkata tramway & subway from Wikipedia searching 'Calcutta Tramways Company' & 'Kolkata Metro'.

Also search tag in 'skyscrapercity' typing 'Kolkata', then you can get two (or more) links about urban rail transport of Kolkata.

Old March 18th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #129
Ashis Mitra

Confusions

Messi, thank you very much for your answers about Istanbul metro. I think there are some confusion about Istanbul tram & metro system.

About metro –

No doubt M2 is a metro, but I think M1 is actually a light rail.
Universally, metro is a separate railway system, which
1) Completely independent from other road and rail traffic.
2) Different and better rolling stock than suburban train.
3) Runs on high frequency (from 2 to 5 minutes headway)
4) Much beautiful & decorated station with elevators & escalators.
5) Wide coaches like suburban train.
6) Runs mainly underground, although some systems are elevated/at graded.

Side by side, light rail is a railway system, which
1) Completely independent from other road and rail traffic, accessible via stations with platforms.
2) Runs on lower frequency than metro, but higher than tram (from 5 to 10 minutes headway)
3) Much beautiful & decorated stations, some (not all) with elevators & escalators.
4) Narrower coaches like tram, narrower than metro.
5) Runs mainly at graded, although some systems are elevated/partly underground.

Worldwide, which light rail runs partly underground, it is called light metro also. That means it is a lighter version of a true metro. Considering those facts, I’m sure that M2 is a light rail/light metro but not a metro, like M1.

About tram –

I knew from internet that T3 is the European side heritage tram, which uses same type stock like pre 1966 tram system, and T5 is the Asian side heritage tram, which uses second-hand stocks imported from Gotha.

Side by side, there are three modern tram routes – T1, T2 & T4. From various internet sources, I knew that–

T1 first used ABB stocks, which were high floor, and now is using Bombardier stocks, which are low floor. When high floor stocks ran through T1, all stops had high platforms, which has demolished after arrival of the low floor stock. But T2 is fully using ABB high floor stocks. T4 is also partly using ABB high floor stock. That ABB high floor stocks are also used in M2, which is called light metro (light rail).

So my question is, although T2 & T4 is called tram, but hence they’re using light rail (light metro) stocks, aren’t they actually light rail? So I think, T2 & T4 are light rail/light metro but not tram, like T1.

Is there any plan to replace existing high floor stocks of T2 & T4 by low floor stocks like T1?

Another question, are those Citadis low floor stocks will run in all tram routes, i.e. on T1, T2 & T4 in future?

Please clear my confusions about metro & tram stated above.

Old March 18th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #130
Ashis Mitra

http://www.trainsofturkey.com/maps/istanbul_tram11.jpg

There is a 1920 electric tram map of Istanbul. But the northern portion is not complete. The tracks to north from Sisli & Bebek are not shown in the map. Also the Asian side’s tramway is completely not shown. Please either publish a full prominent map of Istanbul at their full fledge containing both Asian & European system, or write details about those not shown routes.

This is another electric tram map of 1950 in the link - http://www.dersaadettramvayi.com/guzergah.html, but the texts are too small for read. Can anybody post here a bigger prominent map containing both Asian & European side network of pre 1966?

Old March 18th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #131
hokomoko

image hosted on flickr

A bigger old map for Ashis,Iwill try to upload another one for Asian side tram lines on Friday or Saturday after scanning at home.
Also click to the below line to see many many old pictures ,if you like you can be a member then you can see the bigger versions too,But only in Turkish unfortunately,the pictures are free for using but you should not cut off the logo wowturkey.
http://wowturkey.com/forum/viewtopic...=22887&start=0

Old March 18th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #132
hokomoko

image hosted on flickr

Historic trams of Istanbul now operating only on Istiklal Street / T5
image hosted on flickr

A capture from movie "TOPKAPI"
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

An old UKHT tram of Asian side which was abandoned in 1966 can be seen at Istanbul RMK Museum currently.

Last edited by hokomoko; March 18th, 2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #133
hokomoko

Istanbul M1 and T1 line cars

image hosted on flickr

M1 and T4 Are using these 1986 made ABB cars.

image hosted on flickr

T1 AND T2 meeting area in Zeytinburnu.
image hosted on flickr

T1 Bombardier at Sirkeci.....

Old March 20th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #134
hokomoko

1954 IETT map for Kadikoy-Uskudar

image hosted on flickr

Old March 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #135
Ashis Mitra

Thanks for the Asian side map, but the european side is partly hazy. Can you send a clear version of the European side of this image?

T2, T4 & Hafif metro is using same ABB rolling stock, so they are all light rail, not tram. Am I right?

Last edited by Ashis Mitra; March 25th, 2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #136
Messi
Tinerci Gençlik

T1 is the only line with lowfloor vehicles and which is not isolated from traffic, the rest is, many have also underground parts so yes they are light rail. In contrast hafif metro is called M1 now and is considered as metro.

Old November 7th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #137
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2728

new Seyrantepe station
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2667/...77d046b6_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2510/...bb2c84c6_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2494/...119f0f7c_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2791/...708f7214_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2536/...2b5bfdb2_o.jpg

What i like at the Istanbul metro is that it is very clean and it does not smell

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014

www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #138
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Nice station but where is it? Which line? I cant find it in the map

ovem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #139
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2728

http://i38.************/r04fmt.jpg
green one
Station is at the seperate line of the green one (Seyrantepe)

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014

www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #140
batman08

Likes (Received): 700