daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #41
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Off course living with hardly sufficient food or risking being shot every day is worst. I was about writing it in the previous post but I tought it was a Capitan Obvious-like sentence. Having good and enough food, safety, health care, clothes, a comfortable house, clean water and electricity is enough to conduct a "human" life, but I think that most Westerners are too accustomed to many unnecessary amenities that they would refuse to live for ever on a remote island that may be Tuvalu, as well Nauru, Maldives, Greenland or even our Lampedusa that is extremely remote for European standards. Off course those lands are fashinating to tourists but living there is another thing. Here in Italy youth use to leave mountain village because they are too remote and far away from everything. In this case remoteness means 20-30km by car from the closest important town. Not hundreds or thousands of miles of open ocean.
It's a complex argument this. I think we westerns lost the meaning of life and we think that to follow the happyness means to have a good work, much money, last technologies, nice car, nice house and so on... and many times, for to reach those things we lose important things like the health, the family, the joy of life... to be honest, I envy them if they can be happy with the things they have. Me, I would live in a remote place if however I wold have the possibility to visit the world too. Cause to live in remote place doesn't mean you can't move anymore, otherwise would be a prison
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #42
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84

It's a complex argument this. I think we westerns lost the meaning of life and we think that to follow the happyness means to have a good work, much money, last technologies, nice car, nice house and so on... and many times, for to reach those things we lose important things like the health, the family, the joy of life... to be honest, I envy them if they can be happy with the things they have. Me, I would live in a remote place if however I wold have the possibility to visit the world too. Cause to live in remote place doesn't mean you can't move anymore, otherwise would be a prison
I wouldn't say that living in a big city is the best, personally I prefer a small town: less chaos, pollution and crime. I also know that a luxurious life doesn't mean happyness. You can be plenty of $$$, live in a huge villa, drive a Ferrari and own a yacht but be more unhappy than who lives in a commieblock, works in a factory for 1000 euros per month and drives a Fiat Uno, maybe because he has psycological, health or family-related problems.
But my point was another: the average European or N. American boy or girl, when turns 18, has already done many different experiences: saw mountains, plains, seas, lakes, rivers, cities, villages; travelled by car, bus, train, plane, boat; went to cinemas, museums and all kind of shops and public places, meet hundreds of people from different areas, who do different things and have different ideas. Off couse the Tuvaluan or Greenlandic youth has not. So, growing up in such isolated areas means having a narrower knowledge of the world.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #43
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Cause we have a high standard of life here. But the majority part of people of the world never did such experiences...
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #44
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84
Cause we have a high standard of life here. But the majority part of people of the world never did such experiences...
If so, why we get so many immigrants from 3rd world?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #45
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
If so, why we get so many immigrants from 3rd world?
Cause they come with the illusion of a better life, that sometimes they get, sometimes no. My girlfriend lives in Brazil and she had many illusions about Italy, she thought here was like a "paradise". But this just only cause she associated italy to Ferrari, Armani, good food, history and arts... but to live here is a completely another thing, far from to be a paradise... in fact, it's me that will go to Brazil to live and not otherway round
Old January 28th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #46
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Old January 31st, 2012, 12:19 AM   #47
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Old February 1st, 2012, 06:24 PM   #48
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:19 PM   #49
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Old February 5th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #50
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Old February 12th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #51
fbeavis

Likes (Received): 258

The paved roads look better than the typical road in Eastern Europe or Central Asia.
fbeavis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #52
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Old March 30th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #53
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr