daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #181
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43385

Towns & cities which end, not only, in chester, but also cester or caster - are also roman in origin. For example, Cirencester, Lancaster, Winchester, Towcester, Gloucester.....
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #182
chase_me

Likes (Received): 0

Yes as Jane says those are also roman towns. A lot of then towns and cities in the UK you can make out when they were first settled as we have literary evidence as well as artifacts which date back to many periods in our history and give names to the towns etc. they have evolved over time to how people say the name but largely you can tell what period the town came about...if that makes sense?

Also the piping in the midland hotel yo took are for the gutters ( which are the straight sections going all the way to the top) the other which has branches going to the side I presume are for toilets? But I'm not sure but they do look like they are for them. If you have any other pictures of the other buildings in town you can see that all the straight piping are for the gutters ( the palace hotel/ refuge assurance building comes to mind) .

Also that strange looking building you saw on oxford road with the tower like things, I'm sure it's one of the buildings for the medical/pharmacy departments.

Last edited by chase_me; November 5th, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
chase_me no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #183
openlyJane
Human Being

Yes as Jane says those are also roman towns. A lot of then towns and cities in the UK you can make out when they were first settled as we have literary evidence as well as artifacts which date back to many periods in our history and give names to the towns etc. they have evolved over time to how people say the name but largely you can tell what period the town came about...if that makes sense?

The names of villages, towns and cities can often be traced back to their original settlers; the celts, the romans, the angles, the Saxons, the vikings, the normans....

Some place names have become a conglomeration of earlier ones - as successive invaders and settlers took over older habitations.
Old November 5th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #184
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7464

No words for the Midland Hotel And nice hospital as well.

P.S. The zig zag lines mean drivers can't overtake or park in that area.
Old November 5th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #185
Expat

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
Towns & cities which end, not only, in chester, but also cester or caster - are also roman in origin. For example, Cirencester, Lancaster, Winchester, Towcester, Gloucester.....
Fascinating information.
Expat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #186
Required

Likes (Received): 71

Last edited by Required; July 6th, 2014 at 03:02 AM.
Required no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #187
sky-eye
Zitterd veur ummer

Likes (Received): 731

Fantastic pictures, thanks!
sky-eye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #188
Wapper

Likes (Received): 6621

Thank you for showing me the city of Manchester. I absolutely love the old industrial architecture. I agree with you that it would be nice what it looked like one century ago when the factories, canals and railroads where bustling with activity (not to mension the smoke they must have produced! It must have been a very unhealthy place).

I must admit that i felt a bit annoyed when I read how some American media try to depict European health care/hospitals and education/schools. What they say is just totally untrue. There are differences between countries (and I'm not even talking about the Eastern European countries), but overall, the standards are very high everywhere. We do not really have (that much) elite institutions as in the USA, but the average quality of our hospitals and schools might be higher than in the States. Even more important is that these services are accessible and affordable to almost everyone.
Wapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #189
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

By they way that place were you woke up with atypical housing for the area looks like a council estate to me, which isn't always a bad thing, there are some niceish council estates
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #190
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
By they way that place were you woke up with atypical housing for the area looks like a council estate to me, which isn't always a bad thing, there are some niceish council estates
No, it wasn't a council estate. They were private apartments.

It isn't easy to identify council estates, at least for an outsider like me. They take many different forms. Unlike housing projects in the US (the US equivalent of council estates) which are quite easy to identify.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #191
600West218

"We do not really have (that much) elite institutions as in the USA, but the average quality of our hospitals and schools might be higher than in the States. Even more important is that these services are accessible and affordable to almost everyone."

I think that is very true, and European societies are much better off for it. The fact that England has an NHS, that people have easier access to education than in the US, and that they have other social programs probably is why I could walk down darkened streets in English cities in the middle of the night without getting assualted as I likely would in the US.
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #192
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
No, it wasn't a council estate. They were private apartments.

It isn't easy to identify council estates, at least for an outsider like me. They take many different forms. Unlike housing projects in the US (the US equivalent of council estates) which are quite easy to identify.
Most council estates were sold off in the 1980's, but not all council-estate lookalikes are so. Generally I can tell, but its hard to explain how
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #193
openlyJane
Human Being

Dan,

I hope you don't mind me saying this - but my limited observation of the american healthcare system is this:

1. Social & personal conflict/discomfort is medicalised. Millions of children, for example, are on psychic/mood altering drugs. ( I also understand that there is a very high percentage of cesarian births - where the medical model rules the day)

2. The drug companies are incredibly powerful. Doctors act as drug pushers for the bio-medical firms.

It is, rapidly, going that way here in Britain, too - as trends and forces in the U.S, inevitably, reach us downstream.

I don't mean to disrespect the U.S healthcare system - I, generally, feel that people are prone to seek medical solutions for personal, social & lifestyle problems far too much - everywhere.

And with the so-called 'advances' in bio-medics -expectations and costs of healthcare are rising ever upwards. The strains of these factors on the N.H.S are huge.

However, I really value our healthcare model - because it was founded on the principle of a welfare state - whereby all would be looked after, regardless of income or background. It is not perfect and has its flaws - but rather that, than a completely private healthcare system, for me, anyway.

Last edited by openlyJane; November 6th, 2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old November 5th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #194
Expat

600West218, I don't wish to challenge you. But, since it came up, I will say something.

You said the US media portrays European or UK Healthcare Systems badly. That has not been my experience with our media. It makes me wonder what media outlets you follow. Perhaps some of the conservative media outlets may like to portray those systems as bad. People like Rush Limbaugh, etc. They have an agenda against socialized medicine. They do not represent mainstream US media. As Stephen Colbert said, "We all know that the truth has a liberal bias."

Personally, I think the US Healthcare 'system' is crap and fails us.

And while on the subject, I have never been stopped by security guards when entering an American hospital. Another comment that suprised me.
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:38 AM   #195
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
Dan,

I hope you don't mind me saying this - but my limited observation of the american healthcare system is this:

1. Social & personal conflict/discomfort is medicalised. Millions of children, for example, are on psychic/mood altering drugs. ( I also understand that there is a very high percentage of cesarian births - where the medical model rules the day)

2. The drug companies are incredibly powerful. Doctors act as drug pushers for the bio-medical firms.

It is, rapidly, going that way here in Britain, too - as trends and forces in the U.S, inevitably, reach us downstream.

I don't mean to disrespect the U.S healthcare system - I, generally, feel that people are prone to seek medical solutions for personal, social & lifestyle problems far too much - everywhere.

And with the so-called 'advances' in bio-medics -expectations and costs of healthcare are rising ever upwards. The strains of these factors on the N.H.S are huge.

However, I really value our healthcare model - because it was founded on the principle of a welfare state - whereby all would be looked after, regardless of income or background. It is not perfect and has its flaws - but rather that, than a completely private healthcare system, for me, anyway.
Actually, I would say I disagree a bit in that I think the biggest problem is most people in the US not getting enough medical care. 45 million people have no insurance at all and another 30 or 40 million have "insurance" that most doctors won't accept. So many tens of millions of people are shut out of the health care system period.

Obviously this is a photo report, not a blog for expressing my political views. But I do support a universal, single payor system like the UK, Canada and many other countries have. There is no denying it made me happy to see that people in the UK were happy with their system.
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:43 AM   #196
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
600West218, I don't wish to challenge you. But, since it came up, I will say something.

You said the US media portrays European or UK Healthcare Systems badly. That has not been my experience with our media. It makes me wonder what media outlets you follow. Perhaps some of the conservative media outlets may like to portray those systems as bad. People like Rush Limbaugh, etc. They have an agenda against socialized medicine. They do not represent mainstream US media. As Stephen Colbert said, "We all know that the truth has a liberal bias."

Personally, I think the US Healthcare 'system' is crap and fails us.

And while on the subject, I have never been stopped by security guards when entering an American hospital. Another comment that suprised me.
I don't have TV so I mainly read the New York Times and CNN on the internet. My general recollection is that there was a lot of criticism in that media of government run health care systems like Britians - they there are excessive wait times (as if there aren't in the US system ), that care is rationed, that people don't get life saving care, etc. I think I've read articles where they state that Britian's health care system is measurably worse at treating cancer, etc. Anyways, nothing scientific, but it is my impression that US media in general, even center-left media, does not report favorably on government run health care systems.

As to the needing ID to get in, at the hospital were I work you absolutely cannot get in without ID or showing that you are there to go to an appointment or visit a specific patient. You definitely couldn't just walk in the way I did in England. But the US is a big country so maybe the hospitals you have experience with are different.
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #197
Crash_N
L'enfant terrible

Likes (Received): 790

Enough chatting, give us more pics!
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:33 AM   #198
600West218

update on its way in about 45 minutes
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #199
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennypacker View Post
Bristol actually gets just as much rain as Manchester.
This is true, however Bristol has more convective rainfall in the form of downpours and thunderstorms whereas Manchester has a lot of frontal rainfall with days on end of murk and drizzle.

My cousin from Rio de Janeiro is currently at university in Manchester and says its like a dream come true when the sun actually comes out!
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #200
Expat

600West218, I owe you an apology. After rereading my post, I find the tone all wrong. Naturally, we have different experiences and come to different conclusions.

Please accept my apology. I have enjoyed this thread tremendously. Thank you for sharing your fascinating trip, wonderful photographs, and interesting commentary. It has been a pleasure and I look forward to the next installment.