daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #221
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43378

I am getting angry at my ancesters for leaving England. All of these cities are amazing.

Don't be so hard on the U.S - American cities are fabulously rich in architecture and heritage - from what I've seen on this forum; also the commuter towns and outlying suburbs also have some wonderful buildings.

In Britain, a lot of people are envious of the scale & height of american cities.

Wherever you live, I guess the grass is always greener......
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #222

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post

image hosted on flickr

100_2817 by 600West218, on Flickr

I assume there is a thread on Skyscrapercity for whatever this is.
Its 1 billion dollars of retail heaven!

10123 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #223
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

There's a project thread here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...40249&page=144
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #224
Wapper

Likes (Received): 6620

Quote:
There was no wilderness and it wasn’t even truly rural, maybe semi rural. You could always see houses and towns.
You'll have a hard time finding that "wilderness" anywhere in England . You seem to have high standards for defining a rural area.

Leeds looks much better than I expected. Nice pictures!
Why is it that one of the oldest museums in England is located in Leeds? Leeds has only recently become a large city (relativelly recent I mean).
Wapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #225
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Is there any place left within the blue banana besides maybe, and I say maybe, the Alps because even there all the valleys are build full of towns. If Europe had build a much sprawl like the type you find in cities like Atlanta, the blue banana would be one giant suburban area. The first time I saw rural area's without towns and roads laying all around was 4 years ago when I took the TGV from Brussels to Marseille. France has still some real country side...

Anyway, 600West I enjoyed your pictures very very much! Love this thread!

Last edited by joshsam; November 6th, 2011 at 09:11 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #226
Aaronj09
B*tch

Likes (Received): 5702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapper View Post
You'll have a hard time finding that "wilderness" anywhere in England . You seem to have high standards for defining a rural area.

Leeds looks much better than I expected. Nice pictures!
Why is it that one of the oldest museums in England is located in Leeds? Leeds has only recently become a large city (relativelly recent I mean).
Because parts of the Royal Armouries was transferred from London to Leeds (and Portsmouth).

And I have no idea why there was a Nazi flag there though.. very suspicious and is likely to have been removed, given how offensive it is.
Aaronj09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #227
MattN

Likes (Received): 91

Great photos, I've found myself in Liverpool twice but never with much time to explore. I've seen a bit but I really must go back.

Just a couple of points you may find interesting though. The Leeds Liverpool canal doesn't go through Manchester at all; it takes quite a long way round through the 'gap' in the Pennines around Skipton where it is relatively low lying, then through places like Barnoldswick, Blackburn and Wigan. Talking of Wigan, one thing the Pier area does still have is a huge mill engine at Trencherfield Mill, demonstrated twice a day on Sundays. Comparable only to the one at Ellenroad Mill near Rochdale. The textile machines at MOSI are demonstrated once a day, I even managed to see it myself once. One place where I can think of where you get the full effect of the looms is at Queen Street Mill in Burnley, an old weaving shed preserved as a museum, still powered by its beautiful old steam engine several times a day a few days a week. The shed contains several hundred looms and all the lineshafting, along with quite a few of the looms, still turn.

There are many such sites around the country though. If you do manage to return to the UK I'll be pleased to advise, having a lifelong interest in this sort of stuff myself.
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #228
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronj09 View Post
Because parts of the Royal Armouries was transferred from London to Leeds (and Portsmouth).

And I have no idea why there was a Nazi flag there though.. very suspicious and is likely to have been removed, given how offensive it is.
I think its a WWII German submarine
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #229
kids

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
There was no wilderness and it wasn’t even truly rural, maybe semi rural. You could always see houses and towns.
This is because the train lines between Leeds and Manchester snake valley floors between the wilderness which is on the tops of the moors. Roads, however, go direct, over the wilderness of the moors.. case in point being the M62 between Leeds and Manchester >>>

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=sadd...2,27.31,,0,4.7

This is one of the old routes between Leeds and Manchester and will have been used centuries ago, you can imagine how treacherous it would have been - definitely wilderness by European standards >>>

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=sadd...120.09,,0,9.77

These old roads still close during the winter
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #230
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I think its a WWII German submarine
Yes, it is part of the Royal Armouries Museum. It isn't an actual german museum but I believe it was a canal boat converted to hold an exhibit about German U-boats. I was in a rush to get into the actual museum so I didn't go in.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #231
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN View Post

Just a couple of points you may find interesting though. The Leeds Liverpool canal doesn't go through Manchester at all; it takes quite a long way round through the 'gap' in the Pennines around Skipton where it is relatively low lying, then through places like Barnoldswick, Blackburn and Wigan. Talking of Wigan, one thing the Pier area does still have is a huge mill engine at Trencherfield Mill, demonstrated twice a day on Sundays. Comparable only to the one at Ellenroad Mill near Rochdale. The textile machines at MOSI are demonstrated once a day, I even managed to see it myself once. One place where I can think of where you get the full effect of the looms is at Queen Street Mill in Burnley, an old weaving shed preserved as a museum, still powered by its beautiful old steam engine several times a day a few days a week. The shed contains several hundred looms and all the lineshafting, along with quite a few of the looms, still turn.

There are many such sites around the country though. If you do manage to return to the UK I'll be pleased to advise, having a lifelong interest in this sort of stuff myself.
This is absolutely fantastic information and I will definitely want to see these things when I go back. I really wasn't happy about not going to Wigan Pier - I really wanted to see it as I loved Orwell's book on it and it had a significant impression on me. With that steam engine there I will definitely have to go back.

What about Bolton? I saw a brochure where they claim to have a museum with the largest collection of steam engines in the world but I think they aren't often all that often and run them even less frequently. Curious if you know about that museum.

Thanks again, and absolutely I would love to get input for more of these things to see.
Old November 7th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #232
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapper View Post
I am just using my own made up definition of wilderness. And that is that you are in real wilderness when you are far enough removed from any symbols of civilization that you have know idea which way to go, unless you have a map and compass or trail. Even in the eastern part of North America there are many places where you could become very badly lost and even die in the woods because you can't find your way out. And of course, out west just a little sloppiness can get you in life threatening situations.

The areas where I was in England (and you'll see this in a couple more posts) you could always see towns, or buildings or roads or something in the distance that you could walk to get out.

One of the very nice things about England is how civilized and benign it is. You can go out to the country but it is hard to get lost and the odds of running into a dangerous animal are probably low. And in the cities you could go around fairly comfortably without worrying to much about crime.

I'm sure bad things could happen to you in England, but it is unlikely unless you do really crazy stuff. And if you do get in trouble, they have the NHS

How does one apply for British residency?
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:25 AM   #233
600West218

BTW, I just realized, no one has even taken a guess at what river this is:

image hosted on flickr

100_2697 by 600West218, on Flickr

Anyone?
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:35 AM   #234
Expat

Likes (Received): 13

Is it the Mersey? I have no idea, but I feel there is a surprise in your answer. Something obvious we didn't expect.
Expat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #235
600West218

hahaha, leave it to a Bostonian to know the answer!! Yes, it is the Mersey. Quite a bit different from what we see in Liverpool.

If not for the fact that is was so cold when I went to it I would have considered swimming across it. Then I could have gone to bars in Liverpool and impressed all the women telling them I swam across the Mersey :-)
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #236
Expat

Quote:
How does one apply for British residency?
As I recall, they really don't want Americans. We almost did it once, but gave up. Mostly because quarantine on our pets was far too long. My partner had a job opportunity in London, but it isn't easy for the trailing spouse. Especially in those days, as I wasn't legally a spouse. Nowadays, our relationship status may pass more legal hurdles in the UK (and a handful of US States). The best I could do was get a tourist visa or possibly go to school. Anyway, without a job in your pocket, it isn't easy. At least it wasn't then.
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #237
Expat

Quote:

If not for the fact that is was so cold when I went to it I would have considered swimming across it. Then I could have gone to bars in Liverpool and impressed all the women telling them I swam across the Mersey :-)
Ha! That is a good one!
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #238
chase_me

Likes (Received): 0

Gah I'd have said if I wasnt trying(unsuccessfully) to get to sleep... You'd have gone over it on the train on your way to and from the airport btw, just before you go through the gatley station. Nice photos as always, keep up the good work :p
chase_me no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #239
Chogmook
Mancunian Member

Likes (Received): 676

It's look like you skirted the edge of Ancoats, but stayed the 'wrong' side of the retail park, alongside the Ashton Canal.

You missed out on these beauties (Royal & Murray's Mills) alongside the nearby Rochdale Canal:

image hosted on flickr

And in Ancoats Village and 'Little Italy':

[img]http://t0.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRI0NXhhQBujmQ-rYxRj1d1E_L0vFiZje4MZXfC3OQ9a6khFHW-nzg95NlXnA[/img]

Please keep abreast of developments in Ancoats Urban Village on this thread:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=203236

But can I say, this thread is fantastic and the photos you have taken are outstanding and provide a wonderful showcase.

Last edited by Chogmook; November 7th, 2011 at 10:03 AM.
Chogmook no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #240
Joydivison82

Likes (Received): 75

Great pictures.

Going back to the hospital pictures, as you may have already guessed, the reason it looks so run down is that part of the building is in the process of being renovated, and the hospital is now in the brand new buildings behind it.

That is also just one of many hospitals in Manchester as I am sure you've also gathered.

We do have crime here in the UK, of course we do but I suspect it is generally less violent than it is in the US cities.

I also think a major different between the USA and UK culture is that in the USA there is probably a much bigger gap between the rich and poor. In the USA if you have a middle class income you would be rich by UK standards. Living in big houses, lots of cars etc.

However because the living costs are so high here even on a high income you can struggle to buy a terraced house in many parts of even Manchester.

However we really do look after our poor.