daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #281
streetlegal

Likes (Received): 250

Thoroughly engrossing--I love the way you tell a story through pictures, and, as someone who has experienced the "strangeness" of discovering a country for the first time, I identify with your commentaries.

You remind me of the quirkiness of England--something I miss.
streetlegal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #282
cpwken

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
Newcastle and Cardiff also have Victorian arcades - still in use.
There's also quite a few in London.
cpwken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #283
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43421

A great little trip around West Yorkshire. I loved your sheep adventure.

There's a town called Hebden Bridge - a characterful place - with a section of canal;( the Bronte sisters lived in nearby Haworth) - and when you get up onto the moors, you understand where the inspiration for the novel "Wuthering Heights' came from.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #284
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20302

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane

Newcastle and Cardiff also have Victorian arcades - still in use.
Birmingham has a couple too, and the Barton Arcade in Manchester I Victorian I think.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #285
Londonladinleeds
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

The only place that has as many as Leeds is London....which has loads, especially around Picadilly, Bond Street, Regent Street and Covent Garden.

The area betwen the Headrow and King Edward Street and Albion Street and Vicar Lane in Leeds is truly exceptional.

I believe Briggate and Albion Street are both in the top 10 streets in the country in terms of footfall. The new Trinity Centre, (1 million sq feet) sits bang in the middle of this area and will move Leeds to 4th in the UK in terms of retail sq feet, after the West End of London, Birmingham and just behind Glasgow, (which also has some beautiful arcades come to think of it!)
Londonladinleeds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #286
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

@ 600West218

Couple of random things...

The lions you saw at the town hall, you mentioned (probably in jest) that someone was copying someone with regards to the library in NYC.

The Lion is a national symbol of England (and therefore of the United Kingdom) and has been for many many centuries. I am not sure quite how far back the lion as a symbol of England goes, but if you think King Richard I of England (The Lion Heart) lived in 1157 - it may give you some sort of a picture as to when it was first used here... maybe even before that.

You will see the lion appear on much of England's brands, buildings, flags and elsewhere... from the shirts the England football team wear (three lions - the same three lions that reside on the Royal Standard of England).

To the Royal Coat of Arms of the UK..

(The Unicorn is Scotland's national animal symbol)

To many other things.... even simple things such as eggs are branded with a lion stamp to denote quality of product in the UK.

Another national symbol of England that you may have noticed on many of the photographs you have taken.. is the Tudor Rose..

You will see this everywhere, from on coins, to buildings (incorporated into intricate sculptures around doors to again, national brands).. See the history of the rose for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_the_Roses

Another thing I have noticed, is that in a few of your later photos... the Union Flag is flying at half mast... and reason for this anyone?

Then, onto those hideous things... SUV's.... I have no idea why you didn't see many of them... they are everywhere in Southern England. especially the suburb areas of London.

I am glad that you made it to Yorkshire though (God's Own County)... I have family heritage from there.. it is beautiful.

When you return to England, I suggest you visit the south too (looking at your interest in Roman Britain a few pages back).. go and see the City of Bath - the whole place is a world heritage site.. and your camera will probably break through excessive usage.
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #287
PadArch

Likes (Received): 47

Definately agree.. Northern England is one thing, but its a whole different world to the south east, and the south west is again completely different. I'd venture that England has as at least as much variation as any country, just packed into a much smaller area.
PadArch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #288
Smarty

Likes (Received): 2947

Bournemouth has two Victorian shopping arcades still in use as well and Norwich has the Royal Arcade. There are still quite a few dotted over the country.

I'm really enjoying your visit. There was a programme on the BBC last night all about canals, called The Golden Age of Canals. I'm not sure if you can get this over there but it's available on the BBC iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Age_of_Canals/

I have a friend in Arizona who watches programmes on the iPlayer but he used to have to fool it into thinking he's in the UK - using a proxy IP I think. I'm not sure if he still has to do that.
Smarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #289
Piltup Man

Likes (Received): 52

London Fox
Quote:
I am not sure quite how far back the lion as a symbol of England goes
I think it probably has its origins with the Norman invasion; this is the flag of Normandy:

600West218, this is a superb thread. I look forward to your impressions of Sheffield as I was born there.
Piltup Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #290
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piltup Man View Post
London Fox

I think it probably has its origins with the Norman invasion; this is the flag of Normandy:

Ah, yes.. that is probably it. After that, the King of England was also the ruler of parts of France through different titles like the Duke of Normandy
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #291
MattN

Likes (Received): 91

The factory with the ornate towers was called the Tower Works, it used to make steel pins for the woollen industry. The tower you ask about was for dust extraction and modelled on Giotto's campanile in Florence, Italy. Whether those 'windows' serve any function or were just part of the architectural effect I'm not sure. The other ornate tower was (I believe) a chimney modelled on the Torre dei Lamberti in Verona. The plainer one was a later addition, allegedly modelled on a Tuscan tower house.

I don't think I've properly been to Saltaire since I was about 5, I ought to put that right soon. I suspect your initial hike through the walled fields before you hit the paths wasn't technically permitted since 'access land' with a right to roam is usually only on open moorland or old commons in England and Wales, but the top of Baildon Moor (looks like that's where you were) probably is.

As for the sign about dogs and cattle, there have been a couple of cases recently where a person's dog worried the cattle and the person ended up getting killed because they stayed with the dog, but the dog survived.
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #292
Crash_N
L'enfant terrible

Likes (Received): 790

Probably the best thread in urban showcase
England surely is an amazing country, and thanks to you, we foreigners were able to learn a few things more about it, as well as enjoy your great photos. Keep up the good work
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #293
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Commenting on a few points raised:

Who watches all the CCTV? - In most cases nobody, shopping malls etc might have a video room where security guards monitor events but its mostly reactive. If a crime happens and is reported then the footage will be reviewed for evidence, if not nobody will ever see and it will be wiped in a few days.

Why isn't there better public access in the city halls? - Good question, many are great buildings and they should be promoted more, maybe council officials don't appreciate how good they are and treat them as functional offices It is certainly something that could be improved I think.

The relationship between chimneys and fireplaces - Hmmm, don't know, but i don't think there is a direct relationship, I have 2 chimneypots on the chimney of my house (and maybe there were a couple more on the demolished rear chimney) but we have 6 fireplaces.
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #294
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post

The relationship between chimneys and fireplaces - Hmmm, don't know, but i don't think there is a direct relationship, I have 2 chimneypots on the chimney of my house (and maybe there were a couple more on the demolished rear chimney) but we have 6 fireplaces.
Thanks for that information. Do all six fire places work? Good that you told me this so I don't go around telling people that is what those pipes correspond to.

I do love the chimneys with the pipes though - that is very iconic.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #295
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218

Thanks for that information. Do all six fire places work? Good that you told me this so I don't go around telling people that is what those pipes correspond to.

I do love the chimneys with the pipes though - that is very iconic.
No, none of them work!

We have gas central heating and the fireplaces are just ornamental now, they are mostly quite nice wrought iron Victorian ones though one is a more recent replacement.

We even have one in the bathroom which I assume was originally a small bedroom with the toilet being outside when the house was built.

In our previous home, a smaller terraced house, the fireplace in the living room was still operational and it was great to sit in front of a real fire on a winter evening, there is something special about an open fire that modern heating systems just can't replace imo
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #296
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonladinleeds View Post
The only place that has as many as Leeds is London....which has loads, especially around Picadilly, Bond Street, Regent Street and Covent Garden.
Actually Cardiff has just as many, though they have a completely different character to Leeds. Arcades are not rare at all across the UK, all large cities have them in some form, it just from my experiance Leeds and Cardiffs are used as part of the main shopping hub (Leeds using them for high end chain stores and Cardiff for mixed ranged independant stores), whereas other cities tend to have them slightly out on a limb with lower range stores, though there are some exceptions, at least thats my impresion of the majority.

My experiance of getting into city halls has been quite easy, Cardiffs lets tourists in and even gives out guides, Leeds had a function on when i wanted to visit but they normally let you look around, i had a good wander around Manchesters and have been into plenty of other ones. Maybe it was just bad timing ie functions/event or renovations.

Last edited by cardiff; November 9th, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #297
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

This Manchester history site is absolutely great. I will use it on my next trip there.

http://manchesterhistory.net/manches...ourtwelve.html

Does anyone know of similar sites for Liverpool, Leeds, and Birmingham?
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #298

Likes (Received): 1600

Interestingly VQ at first catered towards independent stores, but as we've seen now they now pretty much cater to super high end products with the likes of vivienne Westwood, Louis vuitton etc. With many stores making their European debut in VQ.

VQ back in the 1950's...

During the Victorian period, shopping habits and environments changed greatly. With widespread affluence and greater leisure time, many-floored department stores and sparkling shopping arcades were built across the land. Perhaps the finest group of surviving arcades can be found in Leeds, and of these, the most distinguished is the County Arcade (1898-1900).

Who would have thought that this glittering display was once the site of the city’s meat markets? The area was redeveloped at the end of the nineteenth century, and the designer Frank Matcham was brought in to build three linked arcades. Matcham is best known for his theatre interiors. Certainly, the combination of mahogany, marble, mosaic and faience make this look more exuberant than most: this is a stage set to tempt shoppers in to buy the finest wares.

This photograph (c.1950) captures the arcade just after the war, a time when Victorian architecture was little appreciated. Windows have been lowered; shop signs stick out at different heights; columns have been concealed. Rhythm and uniformity have been lost. How times change; the restored arcade now regarded as one of the most attractive buildings in Leeds.

Anyway all our other arcades cater to independents but even these contain the odd chain store, Starbucks usually....

image hosted on flickr
10123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #299
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43421

http://www.liverpoolhistorysociety.org.uk/index.htm

Here is a link to the Liverpool History Society.

There is a great link to other websites on here too.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #300
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7511

Loving your trip, you really make it seem like an adventure, which is great. Saltaire is precious.

P.S. Why were all the flags at half mast?