daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #421
Smarty

Likes (Received): 2945

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Yep, there will be trips back to England.

And I'll be looking forward to input from people here about things to see.

Thanks to everyone for all the amazing information that you have shared and especially to Paul who helped get my trip off to such a fantastic start in Liverpool.
Just out of interest did you have many pre-conceptions of England before you came ? And how did they fare ?
Smarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #422
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20281

Another potential trip on the industrial heritage theme would be in the Midlands. Birmingham/Black Country, Ironbridge/Coalbrookdale, The Potteries in Stoke-on-Trent and maybe Nottingham/Derby.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #423
Smurfle

Likes (Received): 0

Hello

I stumbled across your thread via a recommendation, and while I will take time to look closely at all pages, must confess I jumped to York and Durham as I have lived in York for 6 or 7 years and spent 4 happy years at University in Durham.

I hope I'm not repeating information already posted, but thought I could add a few bits to your photos...

Your first photo of the gravestones in York were cholera victims. Due to the horribly contagious nature of the disease, they had to be buried outside of the City walls.

The hotel which you said looked too expensive to stay in, was formerly the railway HQ building and was still owned by the railways up until the late 90's.

The street with the Punch Bowl pub on it is called Stonegate, and it was apparently the 3rd most expensive street to lease property in the UK (outside London).

Have you seen the film Elizabeth? If you watch it again you will recognise the interior of York Minister which was used for some of the Court scenes.

In the 1980's the Minster was hit by lightening and the Rose window was very badly damaged. It is now fully repaired but the lightening strike was supposed to have been provoked by the (then) Bishop of Durham's pronouncement that he didn't believe in the virgin birth...

Durham - while tiny - is simply a very special city to me. the Cathedral is awesome - in the true sense of the word. Its interior is much more austere than York but its starkness represents the region very well. When I was at University - 1990/94 - the coal mines in the area were being closed, yet each year the miners still marched through the City with their bands and flags. Durham reflects the industrial north combined with the strength of the Church.

I don't know if you walked down the Bailey, past St Chad's and St John's colleges? If you did you would have reached Prebends Bridge (which crosses the river Weir). There is a Victorian lamppost at that bridge, which supposedly inspired CS Lewis into bringing Narnia to life.

Anyway, I have rambled enough! Pleased to have found your photos.

ETA - it is lovely to see your country through the eyes of a visitor. Just like reading Bill Bryson's 'Notes from a Small Island'. Mr Bryson now being Chancellor of Durham University...

Last edited by Smurfle; November 18th, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
Smurfle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #424
PadArch

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:

Thanks to everyone for all the amazing information that you have shared and especially to Paul who helped get my trip off to such a fantastic start in Liverpool.
If you ever come to London i'd be more than happy to point you to some old industrial gems!
PadArch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #425
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 6824

Quote:

It was my pleasure Dan,thanks for such a great thread.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #426
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadArch View Post
If you ever come to London i'd be more than happy to point you to some old industrial gems!
Thanks for the offer. I'll be very happy to take you up on that in the not so distant future.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #427
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfle View Post
Hello

I stumbled across your thread via a recommendation, and while I will take time to look closely at all pages, must confess I jumped to York and Durham as I have lived in York for 6 or 7 years and spent 4 happy years at University in Durham.

I hope I'm not repeating information already posted, but thought I could add a few bits to your photos...

Your first photo of the gravestones in York were cholera victims. Due to the horribly contagious nature of the disease, they had to be buried outside of the City walls.

The hotel which you said looked too expensive to stay in, was formerly the railway HQ building and was still owned by the railways up until the late 90's.

The street with the Punch Bowl pub on it is called Stonegate, and it was apparently the 3rd most expensive street to lease property in the UK (outside London).

Have you seen the film Elizabeth? If you watch it again you will recognise the interior of York Minister which was used for some of the Court scenes.

In the 1980's the Minster was hit by lightening and the Rose window was very badly damaged. It is now fully repaired but the lightening strike was supposed to have been provoked by the (then) Bishop of Durham's pronouncement that he didn't believe in the virgin birth...

Durham - while tiny - is simply a very special city to me. the Cathedral is awesome - in the true sense of the word. Its interior is much more austere than York but its starkness represents the region very well. When I was at University - 1990/94 - the coal mines in the area were being closed, yet each year the miners still marched through the City with their bands and flags. Durham reflects the industrial north combined with the strength of the Church.

I don't know if you walked down the Bailey, past St Chad's and St John's colleges? If you did you would have reached Prebends Bridge (which crosses the river Weir). There is a Victorian lamppost at that bridge, which supposedly inspired CS Lewis into bringing Narnia to life.

Anyway, I have rambled enough! Pleased to have found your photos.

ETA - it is lovely to see your country through the eyes of a visitor. Just like reading Bill Bryson's 'Notes from a Small Island'. Mr Bryson now being Chancellor of Durham University...
Thanks for all that information. I'll try to refer back to the photos to try to make sense of it.

As I recall, I crossed two bridges. When I first entered the city from the train station I had to cross a bridge. Then when I was coming down from the cathedral I got to the square with the statue and turned right. That took me further down hill and eventually I crossed another bridge. Not sure if that is the one you are referring to.

One major hindrance in Durham was that they didn't have any place to check luggage at the train station. The result was I was carrying a pretty heavy bag around all the time which put a damper on my normal willingness to walk all over the place and explore. On future trips I will work to travel "lighter".
Old November 19th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #428
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
Just out of interest did you have many pre-conceptions of England before you came ? And how did they fare ?
Yes, I definitely did.

First, off you have to keep in mind that most Americans tend to think they live better than anyone else in the world. The media here says that all the time and as the majority of Americans never travel outside of the United States they tend to believe it. And even though I have travelled some and tend to know better I still can't help but be effected by that way of thinking.

Plus, in the early 80s when I was a high school student I was in London for a few days with a school trip. Being honest, at the time it seemed somewhat run down and the people seemed a bit worn down - tired if you will. I can't explain exactly what gave me that impression (although one thing I recall making a negative impression on me were the old style taxis) but that is what I felt.

Finally, through some friends, I knew a young German man who had lived in London, working as an investment banker. While he liked London he pretty much described everything north of London as being a wasteland.

All that to say, on this trip I was looking forward to seeing lots of great historical sites and museums but I really didn't expect much of the cities. I thought they'd be old, maybe a bit run down, and just nothing special. I certainly didn't expect them to be lively. And I expected the standard of living to be noticeably lower in England than in the US.

All that was blown away on my first day as I walked around the center of Liverpool on a Saturday. I truly was stunned by the vibrancy of the place - there were so many people on the streets, there were so many stores (and nice stores at that!), the people were very lively - I was truly impressed with the vibrancy of the place. And each day and with each new city I visited I saw more and more of this vibrancy. It was truly amazing and I was constantly thinking "I would love to live here" which I think as a tourist is about the biggest compliment you can give a place.

It is hard to judge standards of living on a vacation but the houses I saw looked very nice, there were a great many upscale stores with lots of people shopping in them, the restaraunts and bars were full, and people seemed very fashionably dressed. Sure, maybe cars in England are smaller than in the US (I can't stand SUVs anyways) but in England you have access to health care and education in a way many Americans don't. So on balance the standards of living seemed pretty similar.

The museums turned out to be pretty good, though some of them weren't as good as I hoped they would be. But they were still very worthwhile places to visit. Best of all, they gave me an excuse to visit some amazing cities (and discover a whole country of canals which I was not expecting at all).

So there is one amazing and ironic thing here that I still can't figure out. In the early 80s it was the U.S. that seemed vibrant and England that seemed run down. Now, after this trip, I see them as having switched places - with England vibrant and the US being tired and run down. I can't really be sure if they actually switched places or just the impressions of a 47 year old man are likely to be very different from a 17 year old kid.

In any event, it is safe to say England was radically different than I expected and in a very good way.

AUTOTHRILL liked this post
Old November 19th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #429
Smarty

Likes (Received): 2945

Interesting and thanks for the reply. I think it's fair to say that the UK probably did look fairly run down in the early 80's. Most of the heavy industry declined through the 70's and 80's and at that point it hadn't yet been replaced. The recession of the early 80's was brutal. I think London picked up in the late 80's as financial and business services really began to take off as the main industry. The cities of the north perhaps didn't start to recover properly until the 1990's.

I spent some time in Philadelphia the year before last and whilst I really liked the place, the levels of homelessness, poverty and dereliction were on a different scale to anything that you'd see here. There were whole areas that really didn't feel safe and whilst the city centre was great, after 7pm it was comparatively quiet apart from one or two areas which had lots of restaurants. I guess it's that sort of comparison that you're making. The city has loads of really good housing stock - brick built terraces. but apart from one or two areas of gentrification it's often allowed to get run down (and rot in some parts) which is a real shame. You get the impression that with a bit of investment the place could really soar.

Incidentally, we mostly drive smaller cars because of fuel efficiency. Petrol / gas costs around 3 or 4 times what it does in the US so people generally drive smaller cars. Plus parking in many cities can be an absolute nightmare.
Smarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #430
EuxTex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFox View Post
The Lion is a national symbol of England (and therefore of the United Kingdom) and has been for many many centuries.

But the three lions, above, are all French. Honest.
EuxTex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #431
VoldemortBlack
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

LOL, Euxtex. What a fail.
VoldemortBlack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #432
MattN

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Another potential trip on the industrial heritage theme would be in the Midlands. Birmingham/Black Country, Ironbridge/Coalbrookdale, The Potteries in Stoke-on-Trent and maybe Nottingham/Derby.
Indeed though Nottingham/Derby have plenty to offer, indeed my employer occupies one of our finest old industrial buildings. Leicester seems to have a greater density of surviving old factories etc, especially with chimneys, than anywhere else I've seen.
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #433
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7487

And don't forget Coventry! Derby is still a major industrial centre thanks to Rolls-Royce and other companies like Toyota and Bombardier.
Old November 20th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #434
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

I wouldn't have said that in the 80's the standard of living in the UK was worse than the US, but the UK was very depressed in the 80's, worse recession than today, except for rich people, this one is worse for them

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; November 20th, 2011 at 06:29 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 05:16 AM   #435
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
600West218, I don't wish to challenge you. But, since it came up, I will say something.

You said the US media portrays European or UK Healthcare Systems badly. That has not been my experience with our media. It makes me wonder what media outlets you follow. Perhaps some of the conservative media outlets may like to portray those systems as bad. People like Rush Limbaugh, etc. They have an agenda against socialized medicine. They do not represent mainstream US media. As Stephen Colbert said, "We all know that the truth has a liberal bias."

Personally, I think the US Healthcare 'system' is crap and fails us.

And while on the subject, I have never been stopped by security guards when entering an American hospital. Another comment that suprised me.
See, in the US you can't say anything good about the British National Health Service without being forced out of your job :

Donald Berwick, who directed the U.S. health-care overhaul as head of the Medicare and Medicaid programs, resigned, and President Barack Obama nominated Berwick’s top deputy to run the effort.

Berwick’s confirmation as chief of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has been blocked by Senate Republicans, who say comments he made in the past criticizing the U.S. health system and complimenting the British National Health Service rendered him unfit for the job.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...ion-block.html

Makes me wonder how long it will be before I get fired from my job at a hospital for having written favorable things about the British health care system in this thread.
Old November 24th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #436
Expat

Likes (Received): 13

Those barbarians make me sick. Don't even get me started.
Expat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #437
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 6824

I thought America prided itself on free speech,surely acting in that way is unconstitutional?

Last edited by Paul D; November 24th, 2011 at 02:23 PM.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #438
parsonsnose
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Dam you Dan, just came across this thread this morning and sat here for hours reading it:
Couldn't tear myself away, now I've got to run around doing all the things I should have done this morning. lol:
But thank you so much for such a well written, thoughtful thread, and of course all of the wonderful pics.
If you're not a travel guide you're in the wrong job.
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #439
600West218

Thanks. Well, being a travel guide would be nice. But thruthfully, most of this is owed to all the Skyscrapercity folks who gives such good advice. I got a lot of really great tips in the UK skybar before going on the trip and it really worked out great. One of them even gave me a personal tour in Liverpool. :-)

So I really recommend getting advice in the forum of whatever country you are visiting before you go. Skycrapercity - its the only way to travel :-)

BTW, before too long it will be time for industrial UK round two - this time doing more the area around the Midlands and Birmingham though I might try to hit some stuff I missed in Manchester and Liverpool too.

Last edited by 600West218; July 13th, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #440
parsonsnose
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

As you're thread has given so much pleasure (not just to me), allow me to try and return the favour in some small way.
I don't know if you have ever heard of Fred Dibnah, but if you haven't, google him and you will not be disappointed.
He was an enthusiast on most of the things that you are and there should be many films of him available online.
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote